Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Volvo Introduces New Diesel Technology; Calls V8 a ‘Dinosaur’

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-13, 04:01 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I actually really liked the 4.4L V8 from Yamaha, Volvo used in the XC90 and S80. Sounded great as do most Yamaha tuned engines (LFA anyone?!), though it was a bit midpack in fuel economy. That unit put out 311hp and 325lbft
Case in point. The 3.0L turbodiesel in our X5d is just as quick and gets much better fuel mileage.

6-cylinder engines both turbocharged, gas and petrol, and naturally aspirated have taken over the 300hp market. For a V8 to be worth it these days and to pull their own weight, they need to be making at least 400hp. Otherwise why bother?
Old 04-11-13, 04:08 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Blueprint
I think the V-8 may go away from non high performance luxury cars, Benz is dropping it from the E class unless you get an AMG and Porsche replaced the S model with a V-6 but the Turbo has it.
I think that's market driven also, and not just because of EPA/gov regulations. I used to see V8 E-class cars all the time, but since Mercedes upped the base engine from the E320 (215hp?) to the E350 (265hp and now 302hp NA) I see very few V8s. I think most people are pretty satisfied with how a big-6 will move a vehicle, so less need for V8s.

Especially here in the DC area where traffic is horrendous and there's tons of cameras and cops everywhere, having a big engine and a big number on your trunk lid is more about bragging rights than anything else. There's little use for it.
Old 04-11-13, 08:34 AM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bold statement! I like when a company is willing to talk big, I love it when they can back it up!
Old 04-11-13, 08:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I actually really liked the 4.4L V8 from Yamaha, Volvo used in the XC90 and S80. Sounded great as do most Yamaha tuned engines (LFA anyone?!), though it was a bit midpack in fuel economy. That unit put out 311hp and 325lbft

Yamaha, if you remember, did the transverse-mounted V8 on the 2Gen Taurus SHO. The 1Gen version had a high-output V6.
Old 04-11-13, 08:52 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

...and they did that one too, the SHO's 1st gen DOHC V6.
Old 04-11-13, 08:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I think the V-8 may go away from non high performance luxury cars, Benz is dropping it from the E class unless you get an AMG and Porsche replaced the S model with a V-6 but the Turbo has it.
Rumor is that the next (C8) Corvette and Shelby Mustang will both be a TTV6.

Maybe Cadillac was way ahead of its time offering a V-6 only until the V-8 CTS-V and no regular V-8 model.
Yet Acura gets criticized for only offering V6s?

I don't think anyone will argue with a TT V-6 that makes the same power as a V-8.
Depends. A TT V6 will likely better a traditional V8 in overall gas-mileage, but turbos add complexity, heat-buildup, and (usually) the requirment for synthetic oil that some owners would rather do without. Of course, some of the old problems with heat have been solved (or at least lessened) by water-jacket coolers for the turbo housing.
Old 04-11-13, 09:35 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,872 Likes on 2,427 Posts

36,260 psi? Good luck keeping that system reliable.
Old 04-11-13, 11:43 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
Case in point. The 3.0L turbodiesel in our X5d is just as quick and gets much better fuel mileage.

6-cylinder engines both turbocharged, gas and petrol, and naturally aspirated have taken over the 300hp market. For a V8 to be worth it these days and to pull their own weight, they need to be making at least 400hp. Otherwise why bother?
Case in point the GX460

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yamaha, if you remember, did the transverse-mounted V8 on the 2Gen Taurus SHO. The 1Gen version had a high-output V6.
I do remember!! Ford needs to put the Taurus line in general on a diet. A 4400lb SHO isn't the most spry + the EcoBoost 6 would thank them and reward the car with better agility and efficiency
Old 04-11-13, 11:45 AM
Hoovey689

Maybe Cadillac was way ahead of its time offering a V-6 only until the V-8 CTS-V and no regular V-8 model. I don't think anyone will argue with a TT V-6 that makes the same power as a V-8.
Lexus "may" do this too on the say the GS. You get a base V6 and then the V8 will be saved for a F version. Who knows, this rumored 2.0L Turbo may start finding its way into Lexus engine bays within a few years too. As the NX is no doubt a FWD platform, a different 2.0L turbo for RWD applications may need to come to fruition
Old 04-11-13, 09:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I do remember!! Ford needs to put the Taurus line in general on a diet. A 4400lb SHO isn't the most spry + the EcoBoost 6 would thank them and reward the car with better agility and efficiency
What killed off the old Yamaha-powered 2Gen Taurus SHO, though, was not necessarily weight, but the fact that the arch-rival Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (which I'm sure you'll also remember) cost less and had equal or more grunt with a V6. The transverse-mount Yamaha V8 for the SHO was an interesting marketing/PR effort by Ford, but, on the road, it really wasn't a good match for the car, and it raised the price too much. The rest is history.

I'm not sure that putting the current Taurus on a diet is really the answer, either. Unlike customers that shop for smaller, lighter vehicles, potential buyers seriously interested in a Taurus want a comparably big car. And, of course, the recent dumping of Ford's Crown Vic (and the true full-size GM cars back in 1996) doesn't currently leave them many choices.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-11-13 at 09:28 PM.
Old 04-11-13, 11:48 PM
Hoovey689

What killed off the old Yamaha-powered 2Gen Taurus SHO, though, was not necessarily weight, but the fact that the arch-rival Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (which I'm sure you'll also remember) cost less and had equal or more grunt with a V6. The transverse-mount Yamaha V8 for the SHO was an interesting marketing/PR effort by Ford, but, on the road, it really wasn't a good match for the car, and it raised the price too much. The rest is history.

I'm not sure that putting the current Taurus on a diet is really the answer, either. Unlike customers that shop for smaller, lighter vehicles, potential buyers seriously interested in a Taurus want a comparably big car. And, of course, the recent dumping of Ford's Crown Vic (and the true full-size GM cars back in 1996) doesn't currently leave them many choices.
Are you saying you can't have weight saving while still retaining the same size? Case in point the 700lbs shed on the Range Rover
Old 04-12-13, 12:12 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

It also dropped the manual transmission so far less enthusiast appeal, and wasn't really any faster than automatic Nissan Maxima of the time. It would get crushed by a 5spd manual Maxima which by then had upped to 222hp, and the GTP was considerably quicker than the SHO too (way more torque).

Yet Acura gets criticized for only offering V6s?
...that still need a timing belt change when everybody else has gone to lifetime chains
AND for their completely boring and uninspiring cars.
AND for only offering FWD (or AWD in a few models)
AND for only offering what are really fancier Honda Accords, and now Honda Civics too (ILX)
AND for......

ugh I'll just quit now.
Old 04-12-13, 12:55 AM
IceIridium
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If V8's are dinosaurs then MINE IS A T-REX, MADDAFAKKA!!

Rawrrr...

Old 04-12-13, 03:52 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
...and they did that one too, the SHO's 1st gen DOHC V6.
To imply that the engine in the 1st and 2nd gen. Taurus is built by Yamaha is incorrect. The engine is in fact designed and built by Ford with some help from Yamaha in designing the valve train. It really went no further than that.
Many people mistakenly believe that the engine in the IS-F is a Yamaha engine. Again, that is incorrect. As with Ford, Yamaha simply "aided" in the design of the valve train/heads on the IS-F. The engine, for all intents and purposes, is designed and built by Lexus.
Old 04-12-13, 06:17 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by IS350jet
To imply that the engine in the 1st and 2nd gen. Taurus is built by Yamaha is incorrect. The engine is in fact designed and built by Ford with some help from Yamaha in designing the valve train. It really went no further than that.
Many people mistakenly believe that the engine in the IS-F is a Yamaha engine. Again, that is incorrect. As with Ford, Yamaha simply "aided" in the design of the valve train/heads on the IS-F. The engine, for all intents and purposes, is designed and built by Lexus.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_SHO_V6_engine
In 1984, executives of the Yamaha Motor Corporation signed a contract with the Ford Motor Company to develop, produce, and supply a compact 60° DOHC V6 engine based upon the existing Vulcan engine for transverse application.[9][10]
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2005/08/SHOnTell/

Quick Reply: Volvo Introduces New Diesel Technology; Calls V8 a ‘Dinosaur’