Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Spy Shots: Hyundai Mingtu

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-13, 03:24 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Spy Shots: Hyundai Mingtu

Hyundai Mingtu revealed on billboard ahead of Shanghai

The so-called Hyundai Mini-Sonata now has a proper name. Called the Mingtu in China, this new sedan will slot in between the compact Elantra and midsize Sonata, and it sports a pretty nifty look.

We've known for a while now that Hyundai is working on a more mature version of its Fluidic styling language, the first fruits of which showed up in the latest Santa Fe, and the Mingtu seems to take that refined appearance to the next level with a refined look of creased lines, a chiseled fascia and a smooth greenhouse.

There's no indication that this car will be offered in the US market, but it's certainly possible that some of its styling elements will carry over to the next Elantra or Sonata. In any case, expect a range of 1.8- and 2.0-liter four-cylinder engines to be announced for the Chinese market when the Mingtu makes its official debut at the Shanghai Motor Show this weekend.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/04/19/h...d-of-shanghai/
Old 04-20-13, 10:14 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

How boring looking
Old 04-20-13, 11:31 AM
T0ked
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is there really a market for something between the sonata and the elantra? Is there going to be a different vehicle every couple of inches or so?

What looks cool on the santa fe comes off as mediocre on this rendering.
Old 04-20-13, 03:35 PM
MX5
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like a Jetta. Mehh.
Old 04-20-13, 03:39 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With a name like Mingtu, i dont see this one selling very well in America/outside China. They might have to romanize that name a bit to make it more "other nation-friendly". It's also confusing as to why they position something between the Elantra and Sonata. They already have the small Accent under the Elantra. Why so many tweeners?

Other than that, the Mingtu rendering is, imo, the BEST looking Hyundai that I have ever seen.
Old 04-21-13, 09:32 AM
ecr527
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It'll be the Goldilocks of the Hyundai line up with "just right" sizing...
Old 04-21-13, 11:17 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by T0ked
Is there really a market for something between the sonata and the elantra? Is there going to be a different vehicle every couple of inches or so?

What looks cool on the santa fe comes off as mediocre on this rendering.
Originally Posted by trexlexus
With a name like Mingtu, i dont see this one selling very well in America/outside China. They might have to romanize that name a bit to make it more "other nation-friendly". It's also confusing as to why they position something between the Elantra and Sonata. They already have the small Accent under the Elantra. Why so many tweeners?

Other than that, the Mingtu rendering is, imo, the BEST looking Hyundai that I have ever seen.
You guys are aware this model is almost specifically for China, correct? From what I've gathered, the Chinese market supports this sliver of the market- their sedan sizes are oddly close together. I honestly don't understand it.
Old 04-21-13, 11:43 AM
trexlexus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
You guys are aware this model is almost specifically for China, correct? From what I've gathered, the Chinese market supports this sliver of the market- their sedan sizes are oddly close together. I honestly don't understand it.
I do, that's why i said i dont see sales success imminent outside of the Chinese market.

Kinda off-topic here, but the E60 5 series in long wheelbase form, in real life, actually looks pretty good. But yes, long wheelbase 3 series and A4s are quite "interesting" indeed.
Old 04-21-13, 01:10 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 156 Likes on 116 Posts

here is Toyota's competitor - also sold only in China: