Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

mid-size luxury sedans with small displacement motors

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-13, 09:50 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default mid-size luxury sedans with small displacement motors

we're in the market for a $45k - $50k mid-size sport sedan (for family outings along with my kid). i want the GS350, but until it gets the 8 speed auto it's out of contention. with this budget, obvious choices are 528i and A6 2.0T Quattro. i just came back from China, over there small displacement luxury sedans are the norm, S350, E230, 520is are all over the roads. however, here in the States bigger the better is still the way to go. i just can't get over the idea such small displacement motor is going to power sedans with such heft. although the performance numbers are nothing to be laugh at, especially the 528i. thoughts please.
Old 04-19-13, 11:14 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

I don't see why the GS350 is out of the running. It has performance and mileage in the same class as the others you are considering. The 8 speed auto will improve performance with no cost in economy, but it is not going to be that big. The US market is much different than China. Gas is cheaper here and government intervention is much less (at least so far). Audi reliability in the US is very poor compared to Lexus. Give Lexus a try, you will be pleased.
Steve
Old 04-20-13, 12:00 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
we're in the market for a $45k - $50k mid-size sport sedan (for family outings along with my kid). i want the GS350, but until it gets the 8 speed auto it's out of contention. with this budget, obvious choices are 528i and A6 2.0T Quattro. i just came back from China, over there small displacement luxury sedans are the norm, S350, E230, 520is are all over the roads. however, here in the States bigger the better is still the way to go. i just can't get over the idea such small displacement motor is going to power sedans with such heft. although the performance numbers are nothing to be laugh at, especially the 528i. thoughts please.
Well this is America, and we'll always have the bigger engines of the world, no worries
Old 04-20-13, 08:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

thoughts please.
The upcoming CAFE gas-mileage and emission rules are forcing many automakers to come up with new or different powertrains. One of those solutions (among several) is to use smaller turbocharged powerplants. As you note, 2.0L in-line four-cylinder turbo designs are becoming popular with automakers because they are large enough, with turbo boost, to produce at least adequate power for family sedans and smaller, entry-level luxury cars, yet still small enough that they get relatively good gas mileage, especially when the turbo-boost is off. The downsides to that, of course, are that these smaller engines will be taxed more under load, than their larger V6 predecessors, produce more noise/vibration, possibly have shorter potential engine-life, and, in SUV-use, probably not be able to tow as much.

Of course, smaller in-line fours with turbos are not the only way to save gas in mid-sized cars. Other credible options are gas-electric hybrids, diesels, variable-displacement/cylinder-cutoff engines, lighter vehicle-weights, engine-idle shut-off, CVT continuously-variable transmissions, multiple-gears, and, in areas where there is an adequate supply of it, alternate fuels such as natural gas, propane, ethanol, and E85 gas/ethanol mix.

I want the GS350, but until it gets the 8 speed auto it's out of contention. with this budget, obvious choices are 528i and A6 2.0T Quattro.
Well, 8-speed or not, maybe the GS shouldn't be out of contention. An important point is that its potential reliability will be better then either the Audi or BMW....although Audis have shown some improvement lately.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-20-13 at 09:02 AM.
Old 04-20-13, 08:52 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

I suspect the 8 speed for the GS may be coming very soon, now that the GS300h has been unveiled and a whole raft of new/updated features for the GS was released along with the GS300h (full color HUD, Rear Traffic alert, LED fogs etc).

BTW, what features of the 6 speed in the GS350 did you dislike during the test-drive?
Old 04-20-13, 10:06 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
I suspect the 8 speed for the GS may be coming very soon, now that the GS300h has been unveiled and a whole raft of new/updated features for the GS was released along with the GS300h (full color HUD, Rear Traffic alert, LED fogs etc).

BTW, what features of the 6 speed in the GS350 did you dislike during the test-drive?
never drove the new GS, i don't dislike the 6 speed persay but like you mentioned the writing is on the wall, the 8 speed auto is coming as soon as next model year, why pay full price for a powertrain that's gonna be outdated in matter of months.
Old 04-20-13, 10:11 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut

I have a feeling it's more a competitive numbers game, for most people ie "oh you only have 6 gears, well I have 8" ordeal. The 6 speed unit works great. I'm more waiting for the full spindle to grace the GS
Old 04-21-13, 10:33 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I have a feeling it's more a competitive numbers game, for most people ie "oh you only have 6 gears, well I have 8" ordeal. The 6 speed unit works great. I'm more waiting for the full spindle to grace the GS
This. Really the only reason they're moving to 8 speed automatics and such is to get a ~1-2% bump in fuel economy, since the government has really ratcheted up the CAFE requirements.
Old 04-21-13, 11:23 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 165 Likes on 98 Posts

I wouldn't let the count of transmission gears keep you from the GS. The current unit is a fine set-up that has a strong performance case and proven efficiency. And of course the rest of the car is pretty amazing as we all know and have read.
Also consider, every model year there's going to be some new feature added. If you waited for the next best thing, you'd never have a new car. It's a futile battle that can never be won in the car buying game.
Old 04-22-13, 12:08 AM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a little far off from what u may be looking for, but you can a full on FULL SIZED ***** out chrysler 300C, 6 cylinder 8 speed that gets a legit 24mpg mixed (not an exaggerated number on the mpg). It's fully loaded....they can be had for 30K brand new, add a lifetime warranty and you'll be at 32k.

chrysler offers to sell this insane lifetime warranty for first owners of a new car.

Not sure if your into the mean american car look though.
Old 04-22-13, 09:23 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Can you realistically get one of those cars under $50K (unless you get a base model)? I saw an ATS at the mall with a V6 and a sticker of $48,000.
Old 04-22-13, 10:33 AM
mrraider
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tex2670
Can you realistically get one of those cars under $50K (unless you get a base model)? I saw an ATS at the mall with a V6 and a sticker of $48,000.
You can order the ATS in any config you want, providing you get in line early enough. Locally, the biggest seller is the ATS 2.0 AWD luxury model, and dealers stock it quite a bit.
Old 04-22-13, 10:47 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by mrraider
You can order the ATS in any config you want, providing you get in line early enough. Locally, the biggest seller is the ATS 2.0 AWD luxury model, and dealers stock it quite a bit.
I'd assume with the 6AT? A manual 6-speed is also available on that model.