Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Porsche picks Maria Sharapova as brand ambassador

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-13 | 05:54 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, they did avoid bankrupcy some years ago by introducing the Boxster and Cayenne. But, still, despite those reasonable Boxster/Cayenne sales, they are still a niche manufacturer at best. No amount of marketing, classy women or not, is going to turn them into a Toyota or Honda.
I think we can also be reasonably confident that Porsche has absolutely zero desire to become a Toyota or a Honda. But VW does, and VW will end up as the biggest manufacturer at some point soon. Porsche's future with VW funding has never looked brighter.
Old 04-28-13 | 05:55 PM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Allen K
Here's the breakdown:

Hot girl => attention for the brand.
Attention for the brand => more potential buyers.
More potential buyers => more potential sales

Really don't understand the confusion in this thread. Is she going to close the deal? No. Is she going to bring more eyes to the brand? Sure!
This^^^
I agree
Old 04-28-13 | 06:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by G Star
Annnnnnd in come the AD experts.

You guys are hilarious.
Yeah, that's right. All of CAR CHAT is hilarious. Our discussions are totally meaningless.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-28-13 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-28-13 | 07:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, they did avoid bankrupcy some years ago by introducing the Boxster and Cayenne. But, still, despite those reasonable Boxster/Cayenne sales, they are still a niche manufacturer at best. No amount of marketing, classy women or not, is going to turn them into a Toyota or Honda.
they have no interest in becoming toyota or honda, so that's not the point of bringing a world class tennis player to their marketing efforts.

and the bankruptcy concerns were nearly 20 years ago... so that's kind of ancient history. they changed basically EVERYTHING since then, for the better. porsche is at the top of their game, never better.
Old 04-28-13 | 07:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
they have no interest in becoming toyota or honda, so that's not the point of bringing a world class tennis player to their marketing efforts.
They would probably do better, IMO, by imitating what Ford and GM have been doing in recent years.....encouraging dealer test-drives. I pointed out in an earlier post how Tiger Woods, Paul Hogan, and Lance Armstrong didn't do much for Buick and Subaru sales. Sales of those brands (as with most vehicles) depend on the product itself, not the marketers.

Anyhow, I've said pretty much what I have to say about this thread-topic. We'll see how Porsche sales actully go in the future. If sales increase, and if can be attributed to her marketing, I'll stand corrected.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-28-13 at 07:26 PM.
Old 04-28-13 | 08:32 PM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

Sweet baby Jesus! This thread is full of win!
Old 04-29-13 | 10:42 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

brings to mind the old joke...

50c of every dollar spent on advertising is wasted. the problem is, no one knows which 50c.