Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Paying extra for interior quality materials...

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-13, 08:09 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,393 Likes on 1,568 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
That is a big number but having had two ES350's and looking at the cost cut '13 vs the '13 GS,well worth the extra cost to me.
The much better interior,direct injection 3.5L,12.3" Nav screen,adaptive Variable Suspension,AFS,16/18 way power seats,3 zone auto climate control etc and overall feel of the GS.Yes to me,worth the extra cost.
The discounting now is big too closing that $12K gap a bit.
thanks for making the point perfectly. you are no longer a target customer for an ES. you're too much of an enthusiast.
Old 04-29-13, 08:23 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
bottom line is you pretty much get what you pay for.
Sometimes. That's partly why car-reviews are done, to determine when you do and when you don't.
Old 04-29-13, 08:34 AM
Fly4u
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
I don't think this is a fair comparison. You should be comparing ES350 to GS350 and ES300h to GS300h (if it were available in the US). When engine size is not a factor, then the value proposition of the interior quality becomes easier to judge.
Perhaps not "fair" but the best comparison as the GS300h is not available in my market. As one committed to superior mileage, the choices are either econobox, hybrid, or diesel. The hybrid drivetrain seems most amenable to my MPG goals and is readily offered in various near-luxury vehicles. That is good enough for me, and no, I'm not a "middle aged realtor!" I have also owned a high performance luxury vehicle and am comfortable with the tradeoffs of shifting downmarket.

I well understand the distinction between value and luxury, but dismiss the added expense of the latter as not compatible with my financial goals. While I can readily afford a GS450h in highly optioned configuration, the better course for me is to invest the difference in retirement savings to achieve an earlier separation from what is increasingly an insane asylum of dashed ideals. .....
Old 04-29-13, 09:29 AM
trexlexus
Pole Position

So, with so much poo flinging in this thread, anyone have an negative things to say about Lexus's decision to add faux leather to the lineup?

NuLuxe is a good business move, but for those who have actually experienced it, does it REALLY PALE in comparison to Lexus leather? And how does it fare against competitor faux leather?

Did yall pay the extra to get Lexus leather or felt that the price difference was not justifiable?
Old 04-29-13, 10:25 AM
Fly4u
Banned

Originally Posted by trexlexus
So, with so much poo flinging in this thread, anyone have an negative things to say about Lexus's decision to add faux leather to the lineup?

NuLuxe is a good business move, but for those who have actually experienced it, does it REALLY PALE in comparison to Lexus leather? And how does it fare against competitor faux leather?

Did yall pay the extra to get Lexus leather or felt that the price difference was not justifiable?
I believe offering NuLuxe in a near-luxury vehicle (my ES300h) was a terrific idea. The only animal protein I consume is fish and limited dairy, thus the opportunity to forgo the traditional animal skins is a plus. Ten weeks of driving NuLuxe is a nice experience and it may wear better than leather. For comparison I did a test-drive in a leather equipped ES and to my perception it wasn't appreciably more luxurious. Whether I take an appraisal hit during the disposal process in 3 to 4 years is immaterial.

Sorry, I didn't cross-shop other competitive vehicles that offered a NuLuxe equivalent.
Old 04-29-13, 12:36 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

Ive read that the NuLuxe stuff wont breate as well in hot climates when compared to traditional leather. Do you find that to be true? If you have indeed sat in leather appointed cabins before.

Comparing the two, what are some good pros and cons?
Old 04-29-13, 05:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

You won't hear anything negative from me about it. Although I haven't had extensive experience with the NuLuxe over long periods of time and/or in extreme hot/cold weather, based on what experience I did have with it on the Lexus CT200H review/test-drive I did, I was quite impressed with it...especially compared to the cheap-looking/feeling stuff that the Germans use in some of their upmarket cars. I remember reviewing some 60K-range Mercedes and BMW vehicles (the Mercedes GL especially comes to mind), sitting on what looked and felt like perforated vinyl, and then being told by the reps that you had to spend 10-15K more for versions with true leather (or go for the AMGs).

So, yes, I agree that, unlike the Germans, Lexus, IMO, does make a credible fake-leather, though I still was not terribly impressed with some other things about the CT (mainly ride/interior room/entry/exit ease, and overall refinement). Despite the nice upholstery (though I admit that it does sell well as a Lexus), it has not, IMO, really earned the "L" badge on the grille.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-29-13 at 05:30 PM.
Old 04-29-13, 05:47 PM
LexFather

Nuluxe is a really good "pleather" and its environmentally friendly compared to just fake leather. The base rlx and q50 have fake leather standard too FYI

That said it should not be forced on me and real semi-analine leather should always be an option.

Old 04-29-13, 06:07 PM
Fly4u
Banned

Ive read that the NuLuxe stuff wont breate as well in hot climates when compared to traditional leather. Do you find that to be true? If you have indeed sat in leather appointed cabins before.

Comparing the two, what are some good pros and cons?
I've only driven with NuLuxe on a handful of warm days - as warm as it gets in coastal San Diego - and haven't noticed comfort issues while wearing shorts. The test will come in Aug/Sept!

I've had leather seating surfaces for decades and concur with other opinions that contemporary "base" leather is of mediocre quality. After my typical 3 years or so it is abundantly creased, albeit I don't ever apply conditioners, etc.

Despite my personal bias against leather and embrace of "pleather", I don't seek to inflict my judgment on others - leather ought to be an available option.
Old 04-29-13, 06:09 PM
Fly4u
Banned

So, with so much poo flinging in this thread....
I'll bet some of the poo is well contained within the confines of an XXL Depends for some.....

Sorry, I couldn't resist!
Old 04-29-13, 06:10 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You won't hear anything negative from me about it. Although I haven't had extensive experience with the NuLuxe over long periods of time and/or in extreme hot/cold weather, based on what experience I did have with it on the Lexus CT200H review/test-drive I did, I was quite impressed with it...especially compared to the cheap-looking/feeling stuff that the Germans use in some of their upmarket cars. I remember reviewing some 60K-range Mercedes and BMW vehicles (the Mercedes GL especially comes to mind), sitting on what looked and felt like perforated vinyl, and then being told by the reps that you had to spend 10-15K more for versions with true leather (or go for the AMGs).
Hmm... I didnt know/expect the GL had MB Tex inside. I thought since it was the range topping SUV, discounting the G, it would have standard leather.

Tying all of this back into the OP's original question: with praise going to NuLuxe, would any of you shell out the extra money to get the true leather, or is it not worth it?

P.S. Lol at fly4u

Last edited by trexlexus; 04-29-13 at 06:15 PM.
Old 04-29-13, 06:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Nuluxe is a really good "pleather" and its environmentally friendly compared to just fake leather. The base rlx and q50 have fake leather standard too FYI

That said it should not be forced on me and real semi-analine leather should always be an option.
Unless one wants to forgo real leather for environmental or animal-rights reasons (which I can understand and respect), for one like you who forks out the kind of cash a GS Hybrid (or similiarly-expensive a car) costs, real leather should indeed be an option. Unfotunately, though, the Germans often don't see it that way. They charge a fortune for what is, in effect, perforated vinyl...then charge another fortune for the real stuff. Interesting, too, considering some of the other (standard) superb interior materials that Audi typically uses.

BTW, that's one thing that I generally agree with some of the "animal-rights" people on. Though leather is nice to have, feel, and smell, I see little or no reason why animals should have to give their lives just so we can have the luxury of slick-feeling seats, shoes, wallets, purses, belts, etc......Enough of them already give their lives so we can eat.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-29-13 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-29-13, 06:27 PM
seanlee
Driver

Originally Posted by pbm317
What are you basing your judgments on? Do you develop and procure materials for automotive interiors?
i am no expert, but to think a nicer interior would cost 5000 (assume 5000 dollars for the sake of consistency) is absurd. why? do you seriously think 3 copy of nicer interior would actually equal to a value of a brand new car? then by that logic, a engine should cost well over 1 million dollars because it is that much more difficult to build a perfect balance engine than some soft touch corners.
Old 04-29-13, 06:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Hmm... I didnt know/expect the GL had MB Tex inside. I thought since it was the range topping SUV, discounting the G, it would have standard leather.
It did have standard MB-Tex when I reviewed it a few years ago, though I haven't checked the latest 2013/14 interior specs.

Tying all of this back into the OP's original question: with praise going to NuLuxe, would any of you shell out the extra money to get the true leather, or is it not worth it?
Given the choice, I wouldn't. IMO, the NuLuxe is probably the best imitation leather I've seen yet. And, as I replied to Mike above, I've got some moral reservations about getting leather just for leather's sake.....though I respect other opinions.

Lexus, IMO, should seriously consider selling its NuLuxe to the Germans. Lexus, if there was enough supply of the stuff, could make money on the deal. And, with what the Germans typically charge for their upmarket vehicles, the current prices would probably be more than enough to absorb the cost.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-29-13 at 06:42 PM.
Old 04-29-13, 09:49 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by seanlee
i am no expert,.
/post.........

Quick Reply: Paying extra for interior quality materials...