Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Paying extra for interior quality materials...

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-13, 02:45 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Outrage
I like the idea that it's an option. It's not as if the 300's interior is a horrible place without the extra leather surfaces.

I was considering the purchase of a 300C Luxury Series before I purchased my GS 350. The main difference between the 300C and the 300C Luxury Series is the interior material quality. Leather lines more of the interior, the seat's leather is of a higher quality, the interior wood trim is open pore, the floor mats are berber pile, the steering wheel rim is chrome lined, etc. I was prepared to pay the price difference.

Even on my Lexus GS 350, I purchased the Luxury Package rather than the F Sport Package due to an improved interior quality for roughly the same price as the "boy racer" appearance parts of the F Sport. Individuals on the 4GS forum have found it's much cheaper to add the F Sport exterior body parts than it is to add the Luxury Package interior trim pieces. Obviously, good interiors are not cheap to produce.
I believe the base GS uses regular leather and the F-sport/Luxury uses semi-analine which is a much better grade/quality of leather.

Old 05-02-13, 05:26 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
well real leather costs more, so it cant be same price, unless you want to be paying a lot of money for fake :-)

in europe, all these luxury brands have cloth interiors, not even fake leather is standard.
The Euro market is different from the US market on many levels, so I really don't think it's relevant to compare. IMO, there are certain "luxury" features that I don't think I should have to pay extra for in a lux car--leather is one of those features. Others may feel differently.
Old 05-02-13, 05:31 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

This thread's concept is already in practice. The 300 SRT is available with an option called the Leather Interior Group. It upgrades the interior with more leather. It includes a stitched leather dashboard. The option retails for $2,500.
Seriously, the Chrysler 300 doesn't really belong in this discussion. The 300, in and of itself, is not a luxury car. Perhaps a loaded, top of the line 300 is a luxury car, but if you get a stripped down version, it's a full sized family car, nothing more.

Adding all the option packages is what transforms the car into a luxurious vehicle.
Old 05-02-13, 06:37 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
I believe the base GS uses regular leather and the F-sport/Luxury uses semi-analine which is a much better grade/quality of leather.
The base and F Sport models use the standard leather. The Luxury models use semi-aniline leather.
Old 05-02-13, 06:39 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tex2670
Seriously, the Chrysler 300 doesn't really belong in this discussion. The 300, in and of itself, is not a luxury car. Perhaps a loaded, top of the line 300 is a luxury car, but if you get a stripped down version, it's a full sized family car, nothing more.

Adding all the option packages is what transforms the car into a luxurious vehicle.
The 300 is more of a luxury car than a Lexus CT.
Old 05-02-13, 07:12 AM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Mike's right. "Semi-aniline" is just a dye process applied to regular leather that permeates the hide with a bit of dye making it better able to retain color and hide scratches while imparting a higher level of stain resistance. It's well worth the extra money.

Cloth upholstery is very expensive too, primarily because it has to be rugged, durable, stain resistant, and comfortable. I had an upholstery shop re-upholster the V-berth on my boat with what appeared to be a brushed denim that was rugged while being extremely comfortable to sit or lie on. We found our perfect material in the back seat of a Camaro - a factory-spec '85 Chevrolet interior fabric. It was something like $40 per yard (even 25 years ago), but well worth the investment. I had it piped in red, and the appearance was fantastic!

Good automotive upholstery fabric is expensive - more so than what you'd purchase for a suit or your favorite chair - because it has to stand up to a lot of wear, spilled sippy cups, dogs determined to scratch a hole in it, and even passengers with screwdrivers in their hip pockets. (been there, done that). Leather isn't that much of a premium in material cost, but automakers get a great deal more profit from a leather interior.

Last edited by Lil4X; 05-02-13 at 07:15 AM.
Old 05-02-13, 10:42 AM
trexlexus
Pole Position

Does anybody here like cloth over leather? I know that olden day luxury cars had massive cushy cloth seats. The trend seems to have favored leather in recent years. And would anyone pay extra to have cloth INSTEAD of leather?

I, personally, do not lie cloth seats. They are never "cool to the touch" and retain smells more than leather.

I know you can special order the IS in cloth. Not sure if anyone has one.
Old 05-02-13, 11:00 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Cloth upholstery is very expensive too, primarily because it has to be rugged, durable, stain resistant, and comfortable.

Good automotive upholstery fabric is expensive - more so than what you'd purchase for a suit or your favorite chair - because it has to stand up to a lot of wear, spilled sippy cups, dogs determined to scratch a hole in it, and even passengers with screwdrivers in their hip pockets. (been there, done that).

Leather isn't that much of a premium in material cost, but automakers get a great deal more profit from a leather interior.
I'll probably get some barbs tossed at me for this, but, in most cases, I myself usually prefer cloth to real leather. Cloth doesn't react to temperature extremes as much as leather/vinyl, doesn't require periodic preservative/conditioner application, is often cheaper to purchase, and grips your behind and torso better than smooth (non-suede) leather. Though some leather seats grip better then others, among the worst I've sampled lately was in the new Lincoln MKZ, where my butt slid around more than an NHL hockey-puck.

I'll probably get even more barbs tossed at me for this ...but I actually liked the soft, crushed-velour bench seats found on many upmarket 60s/70s American cars. No, they admittedly didn't give you track-grade support, but (to borrow a phrase from Mike), Got-Daymn, were they nice to sit on....you rode all day long in plush comfort. Of course, with those cars' typical handling levels, you didn't need much side-support.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-02-13 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-02-13, 11:13 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by trexlexus
Does anybody here like cloth over leather? I know that olden day luxury cars had massive cushy cloth seats. The trend seems to have favored leather in recent years. And would anyone pay extra to have cloth INSTEAD of leather?
I don't have a problem with cloth, but, the cloth used in today's vehicles is garbage. Here's the way I see today's options:
  1. Cheap cloth
  2. Vinyl masquerading as leather
  3. Cheap leather
  4. Decent leather
What's missing from the list is decent cloth.
Old 05-02-13, 11:23 AM
mrraider
Pole Position

I don't have a problem with cloth, but, the cloth used in today's vehicles is garbage. Here's the way I see today's options:
  1. Cheap cloth
  3. Cheap leather
  4. Decent leather
No mention of velours? Purple velours is the shizzznit!
Old 05-02-13, 12:29 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

Another thing about cloth is that there are at least 2 types i have noticed.

On most american cars, the cloth is a material that is kinda gritty/hard, kinda like the inside of a tennis shoe. On some japanese cars like the corolla, the cloth is more like a fuzzy softer material. Like in that Regency picture. It feels like the softer part of velcro straps.

Anybody know what the two types are called? I prefer the japanese types.
Old 05-02-13, 10:59 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

For years Ford sold its '80's and '90's Crown Vics to police agencies with "heavy duty" front seats that were not available except on police package vehicles. Once in a while we wangled one for a fleet car. Those seats should have been made standard on every vehicle they or anyone else manufactured. They were sprung much like the vehicle itself - that is it was anything but mushy, supportive without being hard, and the bench seats actually held you pretty well in place when maneuvering aggressively.

The reason was the grippy yellowish, beigey-brown seat fabric that at least one automotive writer called "unborn mouse-fur". It was ugly but wore like iron, was comfortable even on a muggy day (unlike velour that breathed like a dry-cleaner's bag), yet was compliant enough to feel softer to the touch than you might expect. If someone wants to make a fortune in automotive interiors, this stuff could replace the Alcantra inserts that are all the rage now. Gotta work on that color issue, tho' . . .
Old 05-03-13, 12:03 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

1. Cheap cloth
  3. Cheap leather
  4. Decent leather
If I remember the press materials correctly, Toyota charges extra for "premium" cloth... I think it is available on Tundra and Tacoma
Old 05-04-13, 12:17 PM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

The 300 is more of a luxury car than a Lexus CT.
I had one as a rental once--I can tell you, that model was not. A 20 year old LS would have been more luxurious than that.

I'll admit that my rental was under the "old" Chrysler, but there's a huge range in the 300 product line.
Old 05-04-13, 01:22 PM
MX5
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My grandpa bought a new 98 Regency every 2 years - I grew up on those button tufted velour cushions

I personally love a quality cloth interior. My Prizm is the LSi model, so tach, alloys, cruise, etc. but the main upgrade is the seats and door panel inserts are a MUCH finer quality cloth than the base/rental versions. I have no idea if it actually cost them more in raw material, but it feels 10 times nicer than the base crap that was closer to burlap.

In the early 90s you could get an LS with cloth, and I actually found one for sale a few years back. It was very nice cloth, and I would have bought it but the car had other issues and the guy's price was too high.

I would love my current GS with a decent cloth interior, but not sure they could do it and keep the ventilated seats....

Quick Reply: Paying extra for interior quality materials...