Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2013 Volkswagen Jetta Hybrid vs. Jetta GLI vs. Jetta TDI vs. Jetta 2.5

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-13, 03:31 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
With diesel fuel costing up to 50 cents more than standard fuel (L.A.), the TDI advantage fades fast.

All interested parties are better off waiting a few more months for the new standard 1.8T.
Time to get rid of that 2.5L 5 cylinder
Old 05-05-13, 09:54 AM
MX5
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dig the TDi and the GLi - in fact considered both before buying my GS. I'm almost ashamed to admit it but I seriously dig the new Turbo Beetles, too (ONLY the new Porscheish body style).
Old 05-05-13, 10:47 AM
mrraider
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With diesel fuel costing up to 50 cents more than standard fuel (L.A.), the TDI advantage fades fast.

All interested parties are better off waiting a few more months for the new standard 1.8T.
Honestly, looking at the numbers, I don't see the advantage to the diesel. It's barely faster than the 2.5, and barely gets better fuel economy than the hybrid. It's the heaviest and the 2nd most expensive.
Old 05-06-13, 06:56 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
I honestly can't believe this car isn't bashed to death for its beyond bland looks and its interior. Must get an internet pass.
better?

Old 05-06-13, 06:59 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 771 Likes on 539 Posts

That all depends on the station you're at. Some places near me in the O.C. have diesel a few cents more than standard and others have it on par with premium
Old 05-06-13, 07:15 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mrraider
Honestly, looking at the numbers, I don't see the advantage to the diesel. It's barely faster than the 2.5, and barely gets better fuel economy than the hybrid. It's the heaviest and the 2nd most expensive.
plus I just don't wanna deal with the nasty diesel fuel and fumes....

found this....

A joint Environmental Protection Agency and Department of Energy study showed that about 13 percent more raw crude oil is needed to produce a gallon of diesel fuel than is needed to make 1 gallon of gasoline. Therefore, unless the MPG difference between a diesel and gasoline engine powered vehicle is significant, a diesel powered vehicle will actually consume more crude oil.
Even Clean Diesel Vehicles Can Cause Illness
Although modern clean diesel is much better than the diesel fuel that was created and formulated in past years, exhaust from diesel engines can still cause serious illness. Breathing in even relatively small amounts of diesel exhaust can cause serious illness--especially in children, the elderly or the chronically ill. Even very short term exposure can cause existing allergies to worsen or cause symptoms of asthma or bronchitis.
http://www.carsdirect.com/car-buying...d-on-pollution

Last edited by bagwell; 05-06-13 at 08:48 AM.
Old 05-06-13, 09:48 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
plus I just don't wanna deal with the nasty diesel fuel and fumes....

found this....

http://www.carsdirect.com/car-buying...d-on-pollution
With regards to your pre-edited question about carcinogenic diesel exhaust, I found this:

LYON, France, June 12 (UPI) -- An international health group said diesel exhaust is carcinogenic for humans and exposure to it is associated with an increased risk for lung cancer.

The International Agency for Research on Cancer, part of the World Health Organization, said the scientific evidence underwent a rigorous, independent assessment, which was reviewed thoroughly by the working group. It concluded there was sufficient evidence in humans for the carcinogenicity of diesel exhaust.

The working group found sufficient evidence diesel exhaust is a cause of lung cancer and also noted a positive association -- based on limited evidence -- with an increased risk of bladder cancer.

"Large populations are exposed to diesel exhaust in everyday life, whether through their occupation or through the ambient air," the International Agency for Research on Cancer said in a statement. "People are exposed not only to motor vehicle exhausts but also to exhausts from other diesel engines, including from other modes of transport such as diesel trains and ships and from power generators."

The working group concluded gasoline exhaust was possibly carcinogenic to humans -- a finding unchanged from the previous evaluation in 1989.

"The scientific evidence was compelling and the working group's conclusion was unanimous: Diesel engine exhaust causes lung cancer in humans," Dr. Christopher Portier, chairman of the working group said. "Given the additional health impacts from diesel particulates, exposure to this mixture of chemicals should be reduced worldwide."

Old 05-06-13, 11:02 AM
Hoovey689

better?

Better, but it's slab profile resembles a poor man's A4. Still rather boring. Also no projector headlights
Old 05-06-13, 11:57 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Better, but it's slab profile resembles a poor man's A4. Still rather boring. Also no projector headlights
agreed, but the newer GLI's have them....

Old 05-06-13, 12:40 PM
Hoovey689

agreed, but the newer GLI's have them....

that lighting looks decent. Anything's better than those exposed halogen bulbs