Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Sick old school 2013 Toyotas

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-13, 08:38 AM
huddleston
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 13 Posts

very cool, i am actually looking for a 60 series LC for a trail rig - simple and durable, a winning formula.
Old 05-02-13, 09:08 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by UZJ100GXR
I have been in one of these trucks and it has one of the best AC systems I experienced in any vehicle
It better have good A/C. From some of the signs in the showroom, it appears to be in a North Africa or Middle East desert region.....in other words, H-O-T.
Old 05-02-13, 09:21 AM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Pretty cool

I assume they don't come in other color besides this sand storm???

Originally Posted by Rash
It says:

DIESEL

Dual cab - Diff lock - Fridge - Power windows

Beige interior
Fridge....or do you mean AC???
Old 05-02-13, 09:51 AM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
Pretty cool

I assume they don't come in other color besides this sand storm???

Fridge....or do you mean AC???
The '13 70 series has a fan/ac inside the glove compartment that can keeps a few drinks cool. It was a new feature added for the '13 model year. They also added ABS.

The bigger 4 door Land Cruiser does have a cool box in the center console! Its been available on higher spec cruisers from the days of the 80 series Cruiser. The US market just got the cool box with the latest 200 series in late 2007.

By the way, they are available in other colors. However, the most common colors are white + beige.
Old 05-02-13, 10:12 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I remember reading a few articles at the time of the 200 series LC/LX release, stating that the LC has a stronger frame than the Tundra, by around 20 %.
''The current 200 series debuted as a 2008 model. It's based on a shortened and strengthened Tundra platform''. They are similar, but even if the LC doesn't have the huge 10.5 diff on the Tundra ( LC 9.5 ) The frame on the 200 is stronger and its fully boxed.
http://blogs.trucktrend.com/6818244/...ser/index.html
^ Paragraph before the last

''Toyota Land Cruiser 200 was introduced in late 2007. LC200 shares the Lexus LX 570's platform and overall design. The frame was derived from the second-generation Tundra but shortened and strengthened by 20 percent''
http://toyota-dealer.org/Toyota-Landcruiser/

Read more: http://blogs.trucktrend.com/6818244/...#ixzz2S7gdSdXp
Also, are you sure Sequoia really ride better than the Land Cruiser/LX570? I can't comment on the Sequoia's ride! Never driven one. The 200 series Land Cruiser / LX 570 have some of the best ride quality i have seen on any large 4WD off road. On the Road they ride pretty well too!

I also read Toyota has done some cost cutting on the frames of the Sequoia and the Tundra, that they haven't done on the LC, which is way way better built! I sat in both. ( never been in a moving Tundra or Sequoia though )

The Land Cruiser 200 was designed and built to meet the highest durability targets in Toyota's overall range - several times higher than those of a road-going passenger vehicle.

If you look under the LC 200 and any other toyota 4wd, you will notice the 200 series has more protection below, most areas are covered up + tucked from harms way. It also has a fully boxed frame from unlike the Tundra.

Toyota designed the Land Cruiser 200, to be a better off road vehicle than the Sequoia and Tundra. Unlike the Sequoia and Tundra which are made for the US, the LC 200 is a universal vehicle, sold in many different markets, and is very popular with the UN and other agencies which use vehicles in the toughest situations. If i had to put my money on which was more durable and which would last longer, i would say the LC would best the other two.
I don't agree with your idea that the Land Cruiser can go farther off road than a Tundra.

A reg cab Tundra TRD has better ground clearance (by a lot), better approach and depart angles by a lot as well.

Furthermore, the Land Cruiser has KDSS which has mechanical points that can fail, and the Land Cruiser relies on a computer assisted off-road program, imagine if that fails off road?

No thanks, give me the TRD Tundra any day of the week.
Old 05-02-13, 10:55 AM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I don't agree with your idea that the Land Cruiser can go farther off road than a Tundra.

A reg cab Tundra TRD has better ground clearance (by a lot), better approach and depart angles by a lot as well.

Furthermore, the Land Cruiser has KDSS which has mechanical points that can fail, and the Land Cruiser relies on a computer assisted off-road program, imagine if that fails off road?

No thanks, give me the TRD Tundra any day of the week.
Completely different vehicles!
The KDSS has proven to be reliable so far and its a huge BONUS! On the Tundra forums some guy was trying to add KDSS to his Tundra...it is amazing!
Ground clearance...hmm no one who plans to use the LC offroad alot is going to keep the suspension or bumpers stock!
At the end of the day, you will never agree with me on the LC, it seems you don't like it. And i'm not going to force you
Enjoy your Tundra and i'll enjoy the king of 4wd vehicles, the Land Cruiser

The best thing about the Land Cruiser is it combines many different things into one full package . Brings the best of everything into one very well built vehicle.

Last edited by UZJ100GXR; 05-02-13 at 11:27 AM.
Old 05-02-13, 11:51 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

The best thing about the Land Cruiser is it combines many different things into one full package . Brings the best of everything into one very well built vehicle.
The Tundra actually furthers this idea of best of everything, especially if the Tundra is crew cab Platinum 4WD... You can't haul 9000+ lbs like you can with the Tundra, can't haul open bed hauling...

Heck, you can't even remove the rear seats in the lc.

And as for removing the bumpers, this is one of the reasons why there are so many more superior 4WD vehicles than the land cruisers, having to modify the bumpers is needless cost.

Good things TRD Tundra dwarfs the LC in size, angles, ground clearance and the beefy rear axle.
Old 05-02-13, 12:18 PM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

The Tundra actually furthers this idea of best of everything, especially if the Tundra is crew cab Platinum 4WD... You can't haul 9000+ lbs like you can with the Tundra, can't haul open bed hauling...

Heck, you can't even remove the rear seats in the lc.

And as for removing the bumpers, this is one of the reasons why there are so many more superior 4WD vehicles than the land cruisers, having to modify the bumpers is needless cost.

Good things TRD Tundra dwarfs the LC in size, angles, ground clearance and the beefy rear axle.
The Tundra is good for towing and hauling things around but it can't compete with the Land Cruiser....
The LC has a better ride , better fit and finish, tougher frame, more articulation, built by Toyota to survive in the harshest situations. Everything is tucked in as i mentioned earlier and everything is protected. The Tundra is just for North America and a few select markets.
The LC 200 is smaller than the Regular cab Tundra. The LC has a shorter wheel base as well, which is better off road, it also has a better approach angle ...
The LC/LX are offroad LIMOs.

You can remove the third row seats in the LC, granted its not as easy as the older models! And honestly i never herd anyone complain about the rear axles of an LC....
How can i put this.... only people who have actually owned the LX/LC can fully understand what i'm on about .
Land Cruisers are just better built than Tundras/Sequoias. Thats the truth...You would be amazed how durable the Land Cruisers are, even the new ones with all the tech and gizmos! I am sure if you asked Toyota themselves, they would definitely agree with me!

Sure, you have other 4wd vehicles with better offroad capabilites, but other than the Nissan Patrol, you don't really have a .a 4wd that is as comfortable as the Land Cruiser/LX yet still combines, durability, reliability, capability, luxury, comfort, utility, excellent fit and finish and over all build quality and to top it off it has a super cool AC,
Even the Patrols/QX56 aren't as well built as the LC/LX

The Range Rover is out of the question since it doesn't have the best reliability!

This is one of the main reasons LC/LX owners love there vehicles so much. You can depend on them! even with all the tech.

Other 4wd vehicles give you too much of the certain thing and they take away alot of something else....the LC gives you a good amount of everything! Perfect package for me. It does what its built for! Specs on paper are something and reality is something else! Check the armoring companies + harsh areas around the world,all you see them driving around in are LCs....and not just older LCs even the newer ones LC/LX570, that is a perfect indicator to how these rigs perform in real world conditions.

In the end it depends on your personal needs, and how you intend to use the vehicle.

Last edited by UZJ100GXR; 05-02-13 at 12:32 PM.
Old 05-02-13, 01:16 PM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

That's awesome, not feeling the fake wood either though
Old 05-02-13, 01:16 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

The Tundra is good for towing and hauling things around but it can't compete with the Land Cruiser....
The LC has a better ride , better fit and finish, tougher frame, more articulation, built by Toyota to survive in the harshest situations. Everything is tucked in as i mentioned earlier and everything is protected. The Tundra is just for North America and a few select markets.
The LC 200 is smaller than the Regular cab Tundra. The LC has a shorter wheel base as well, which is better off road, it also has a better approach angle ...
The LC/LX are offroad LIMOs.

You can remove the third row seats in the LC, granted its not as easy as the older models! And honestly i never herd anyone complain about the rear axles of an LC....
How can i put this.... only people who have actually owned the LX/LC can fully understand what i'm on about .
Land Cruisers are just better built than Tundras/Sequoias. Thats the truth...You would be amazed how durable the Land Cruisers are, even the new ones with all the tech and gizmos! I am sure if you asked Toyota themselves, they would definitely agree with me!

Sure, you have other 4wd vehicles with better offroad capabilites, but other than the Nissan Patrol, you don't really have a .a 4wd that is as comfortable as the Land Cruiser/LX yet still combines, durability, reliability, capability, luxury, comfort, utility, excellent fit and finish and over all build quality and to top it off it has a super cool AC,
Even the Patrols/QX56 aren't as well built as the LC/LX

The Range Rover is out of the question since it doesn't have the best reliability!

This is one of the main reasons LC/LX owners love there vehicles so much. You can depend on them! even with all the tech.

Other 4wd vehicles give you too much of the certain thing and they take away alot of something else....the LC gives you a good amount of everything! Perfect package for me. It does what its built for! Specs on paper are something and reality is something else! Check the armoring companies + harsh areas around the world,all you see them driving around in are LCs....and not just older LCs even the newer ones LC/LX570, that is a perfect indicator to how these rigs perform in real world conditions.

In the end it depends on your personal needs, and how you intend to use the vehicle.
I think the Tundra frame is stronger, just look at the sheer size of the frame rails, they dwarf the LC.

Plus, Tundra has beefier brakes, control arms, drive shaft is just massive compared to the LC, the rear axle is giant and bigger than the LC.

I read a story where Toyota knew they did not want to put unproven technology in the Tundra as you don't want it to break when you need it most. This is why button start, digital climate control, off road mode and not needed in the Tundra, these things can fail in the LC.

The Tundra TRD 4WD has better specs than the LC.
Old 05-02-13, 01:36 PM
84Cressida
Lead Lap

These things are cool because a lot of the traditional Toyota styling elements are still there. The old school exterior door handles, the same used on my Cressida and the Pickups, Camrys, Corollas and others of the time and the interior door handles as well. The Land Cruiser badge is the same used on the 60's series back in the 1980s as well.

The manual gear shifter and other interior bits look like pieces long since dis-used for US cars.
Old 05-02-13, 02:17 PM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

I think the Tundra frame is stronger, just look at the sheer size of the frame rails, they dwarf the LC.

Plus, Tundra has beefier brakes, control arms, drive shaft is just massive compared to the LC, the rear axle is giant and bigger than the LC.

I read a story where Toyota knew they did not want to put unproven technology in the Tundra as you don't want it to break when you need it most. This is why button start, digital climate control, off road mode and not needed in the Tundra, these things can fail in the LC.

The Tundra TRD 4WD has better specs than the LC.
It seems we reached a point were if we keep discussing this we will just be repeating the same things over and over.
I prefer the LC and you prefer the Tundra.
Specs differs from region to region. Land Cruisers in a some markets over seas literally come with Lexus specs ^^
Toyota also does the same with the LC regarding unproven technology, which sometime can explain why they delay the availability of certain options.

Last edited by UZJ100GXR; 05-02-13 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-02-13, 02:22 PM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 84Cressida
These things are cool because a lot of the traditional Toyota styling elements are still there. The old school exterior door handles, the same used on my Cressida and the Pickups, Camrys, Corollas and others of the time and the interior door handles as well. The Land Cruiser badge is the same used on the 60's series back in the 1980s as well.

The manual gear shifter and other interior bits look like pieces long since dis-used for US cars.
Indeed, that is very nice, specially to Toyota enthusiasts. Love these rigs!
Old 05-02-13, 03:07 PM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The '13 70 series has a fan/ac inside the glove compartment that can keeps a few drinks cool. It was a new feature added for the '13 model year. They also added ABS.
Are you sure about this? The fridge was available in the 90s (not sure if 80s) versions of Nissan Patrols and Toyota Land Cruisers. As I remember it was available in the back row, trunk area.
Old 05-02-13, 04:20 PM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rash
Are you sure about this? The fridge was available in the 90s (not sure if 80s) versions of Nissan Patrols and Toyota Land Cruisers. As I remember it was available in the back row, trunk area.
I was referring to the 70 series which received a fan/ac in the glove compartment for the 2013 model year =

I know the 80 series - 100 series - 200 all had the fridge in the center console.

80 series =

100 series =

200 series =

Last edited by UZJ100GXR; 05-02-13 at 04:28 PM.