Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-13, 09:24 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

2013 Ford C-Max Hybrid
"No Prius Killer"
I disagree. In some ways, it is a Prius-killer....not in others.
Old 05-05-13, 08:41 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I disagree. In some ways, it is a Prius-killer....not in others.
You may not agree, Mike, but look again at who is saying this -- Autoblog, who knee-jerkingly MUST label everything that Toyota makes as "lowly" (as though it is programmed into their spell checker). To know that Autoblog is saying this means a LOT more than what you read in those 3 words "No Prius killer".
Old 05-06-13, 07:10 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by trexlexus
I was talking from a very simplistic point of view. The fact that the C Max engine puts out 141 hp, while helping to achieve 38mpg is a pretty good feat. By comparison a Corolla puts out 126 and returns 32-34 hwy mpg.

Either way i still think Ford deserves praise for at least ATTEMPTING to enter the hybrid game, much less going against the reigning champ.
good feat?? how about the Nissan Altima....182hp that gets 38 mpg hwy??

Ford did good with the Escape hybrid...hopefully it comes back soon.

...and yes I believe they lied about the MPG and the supremely understaffed EPA never tested it -just took Ford's word for the MPG.
Old 05-06-13, 09:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
You may not agree, Mike, but look again at who is saying this -- Autoblog, who knee-jerkingly MUST label everything that Toyota makes as "lowly" (as though it is programmed into their spell checker). To know that Autoblog is saying this means a LOT more than what you read in those 3 words "No Prius killer".
Autoblog, of course, is entitled to their opinion, we at CAR CHAT are entitled to ours, and I'm entitled to mine. I see ups and downs in every vehicle (that's why I do a list of PLUSSES and MINUSES with every review), and I don't like to use all-inclusive terms like 'Prius-Killer"....even in my one-sentence "IN A NUTSHELL" review introductions.

It should also be remembered, IMO, that the term "Prius" (now) covers several different models/versions of the classic nameplate, from the price-leading C version to the conventional Prius to the long-length V Wagon version to the plug-in extended-range model which costs almost as much as a Chevy Volt. You simply can't compare all of these Prius models to one Ford C-max and say if it is a "Prius-Killer" or not....that's like trying to compare one apple to a whole mixed bowl of fruit-salad.
Old 05-06-13, 10:38 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

As a Prius owner, I would welcome a vehicle with equal reliability, space, & flexibility; better comfort & interior quality; with a bit less in fuel economy. The Prius is essentially a sub-$20K car in terms of seating & interior components with an expensive powertrain. There's nothing wrong with that, but people expect that higher end Prii with prices in excess of $30K should have the interior appointments of, say, a nice Camry or low-end Avalon.
Old 05-06-13, 11:07 AM
trexlexus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
good feat?? how about the Nissan Altima....182hp that gets 38 mpg hwy??

Ford did good with the Escape hybrid...hopefully it comes back soon.

...and yes I believe they lied about the MPG and the supremely understaffed EPA never tested it -just took Ford's word for the MPG.
Yes the altima is impressive as well. Technological advancements in our cars today continue to be very awe inspiring compared to the recent past.

Regarding the EPA thing, a sick feeling tells me that because Ford is domestic and the EPA is American, a blind eye was turned somewhere in the lying process. I guess maybe that is also why Toyota got so much bad press from the acceleration problems of 2009. But lemme stop being so cynical.
Old 05-06-13, 11:55 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by caddyowner
people expect that higher end Prii with prices in excess of $30K should have the interior appointments of, say, a nice Camry or low-end Avalon.
then IMO those people should buy the Camry Hybrid or Avalon Hybrid, that's why those vehicles are available....I would never pay $35K for any Prius (or Camry for that matter).
Old 05-06-13, 12:41 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

then IMO those people should buy the Camry Hybrid or Avalon Hybrid, that's why those vehicles are available....I would never pay $35K for any Prius (or Camry for that matter).
For what it's worth does the Camry have folding back seats? A main reason someone would want a hatch like the Prius or C-Max is for that extra cargo room vs say a sedan
Old 05-06-13, 01:26 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
For what it's worth does the Camry have folding back seats? A main reason someone would want a hatch like the Prius or C-Max is for that extra cargo room vs say a sedan
Yes, when the Camry was redesigned for 2012 all models received a standard 60/40 split rear seatback...but yes, I love(d) the roominess of the Prius hatch.

Old 05-06-13, 01:32 PM
Hoovey689

Yes, when the Camry was redesigned for 2012 all models received a standard 60/40 split rear seatback...but yes, I love(d) the roominess of the Prius hatch.

Does the Avalon have 60/40 split seats? Cause the 13' ES doesn't. 3IS rectifies this in June.
Old 05-06-13, 02:34 PM
LexFather

All the "killer" comments and titles are all garbage. It never happens the Prius isn't breaking a sweat with the new C-max hybrid. Ford has a decent share compared to anyone not Toyota so they should be happy with that.

Old 05-06-13, 03:40 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Blueprint
All the "killer" comments and titles are all garbage. It never happens the Prius isn't breaking a sweat with the new C-max hybrid. Ford has a decent share compared to anyone not Toyota so they should be happy with that.
The segment is dominated by the Prius/Prius V, and the C-Max is really one of the only competitors currently. Maybe when other automakers decide to build something comparable then the Prius will break a sweat. I applaud Ford for making a little urban utility hatch
Old 05-17-13, 07:07 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Open letter to Ford:

I thought my 2013 C-MAX would be a Prius Killer? NOT! As a returning Ford buyer I feel deceived. I want to support US companies and US jobs. What was Ford thinking when they published 47/ 47/47 estimates? Based on the advertised EPA estimates, I would have been ok with low 40′s but 28-33 mpg is not even in the ballpark. This is not an issue about EPA testing standards, but rather an issue about setting false customer expectations in order to promote sales. Ford’s “47MPG” marketing campaign tarnished what should have been the roll out of a truly remarkable vehicle, the CMAX. Real world MPG estimates should have been promoted in the mid-30′s. No one would have questioned those numbers and the CMAX would have received the accolades it deserves. How these MPG estimates made it through Ford corporate is beyond me! Maybe it was the rush to go to market?

I have been accused of not knowing how to drive hybrid. For the record, during the last three years I have leased both a 2010 Prius and 2010 Honda Insight Hybrid, and consider myself an experienced hyper-miler. My mileage in the Prius is 50 plus, the Insight is 40 plus. The C-MAX is a well-built car, with extremely inflated EPA estimates.

I respectfully request that this matter be investigated as soon as possible. My efforts to deal with this locally and through Ford customer service have frustrated me to no end. The constant response? “You need to learn to how to drive hybrid type of vehicle “. Is there a difference how I drive Prius Hybrid vs. the CMAX hybrid? I think we all know the answer to that. I need someone at Ford to reach out to me and assist in a proactive manner so we can put this matter to rest. I have opted not to join the class action lawsuit regarding this matter in order to explore my resolution options with Ford directly feeling this was the most honest approach to the matter. Can I expect the same from Ford in return?

Respectfully submitted,
http://blogs.wsj.com/drivers-seat/20.../tab/comments/