Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lexus LX through the years

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-13, 05:23 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by kwr

I really think the elephant in the room is styling. The LX470 looks more timeless and unique than the LX570. Before the addition of the spindle grill, the LX looked like a Highlander XL from the rear. Wish Lexus would have stuck with the 470 design longer instead of going the "curvy" route. I kick myself for not buying a 470 in pearl white.

I don't think the elephant in the room is the styling, the problem is in the design, it is too overbloated and offers very poor cargo hauling. No matter which way you look at it, hauling cargo or moving 6-8 people, the LX is very poor at doing that.

I wonder what the differences are in cargo capacity is between the 470 vs 570...I just seem to remember the 470 being able carry more.

I actually really like the styling of the 570.
Old 05-08-13, 06:27 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
While I really do like the LX570, especially the front spindle look and the fact that my husband and I are former owners of a LX470, I am going to have to say that the LX is now a tired formula for the American market. While the vehicle might be great for the world or overseas market, it just not cut it for the US.

The two main issues with the LX are that it is 1/8th too small, and inside, it is begging for room.

The rear seats do not fold flat and cannot be removed, to me this is not a good feature. And because the seats cannot be removed, it takes up so much valuable space inside.

The new QX gets the "American" formula right.

There was a time when the LX sold 15k in the US market, now sales are down to less than 400 a month.

Move it to the Sequoia platform, and Lexus will attract more buyers.

I gotta say, the interior of the LX is indeed lovely.
I can't believe I am saying this....but I agree....the GX and LX are great overseas and were great initial fixes for the luxury SUV market but this isn't 1998 or 2004 anymore. They are tight on the inside compared to a QX or Escalade for the same price or less.

The LX though is really Range Rover competition, more a tremendous status symbol than being a vehicle most will use off-road.

What I find hilarious are the internet Lexus and SUV hating brigade bashing car based SUVs to no end and here is Lexus offering not one but TWO real off-roaders and there isn't a peep about it. To Lexus credit they do offer real 4x4s, even if its outdated.

Old 05-08-13, 06:36 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by UZJ100GXR
I honestly don't know how i never noticed that the earlier models didn't have the reverse lights near the license plate, thanks for the input
I did update the original post to include the '03-'05 rear end.

I don't know if you've seen this before, but i think you will really enjoy it!
LANDCRUISER100 - YouTube
YES, this is it! Thank you, as that's where I saw the EMV GPS navigation screen at 4:13. This video was made in 1997 before the January 1998 launch and back then, none of the Mercedes-Benz line-up nor Land Rover even offered GPS navigation as an option, except the JDM W140 S-Class. Only the LS 400, 1998 GS, BMW's 7er E38 & 5er E39 sedans and the Acura's RL(inferior system) had such tech.

October 1997 Unveiling in Tokyo

The LC 100/LX 470 was really ahead of its time back then technology-wise and was even used as the primary benchmark in 1998-2001 for development of the 2003-2012 Range Rover. At times people truly underestimate the prowess of the 100 and 200 series'. The Sequoia can continue being the oversized Tundra wagon that it is and stay faraway from this.
Old 05-08-13, 06:46 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
I can't believe I am saying this....but I agree....the GX and LX are great overseas and were great initial fixes for the luxury SUV market but this isn't 1998 or 2004 anymore. They are tight on the inside compared to a QX or Escalade for the same price or less.

The LX though is really Range Rover competition, more a tremendous status symbol than being a vehicle most will use off-road.

What I find hilarious are the internet Lexus and SUV hating brigade bashing car based SUVs to no end and here is Lexus offering not one but TWO real off-roaders and there isn't a peep about it. To Lexus credit they do offer real 4x4s, even if its outdated.
We'll have to see what happens with the next gen Sequoia, something tells me that Toyota will offer a Lexus version for the US. But yeah, the LX and GX are far too small for the segment they are competing in.
Old 01-24-14, 01:29 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why do we have so much threads on the LX?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...400-rally.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...et-bumper.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-it-again.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-s-2014-a.html
Old 01-24-14, 01:30 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hennessey supercharges the Lexus LX 570 to produce 500 bhp [video]

Runs from 0-60 mph in 6.6 seconds

Hennessey has introduced a new HPE500 supercharger package for the Lexus LX 570.

Designed to give the model some extra oomph, the package includes a TVS supercharger, upgraded fuel injectors, a high-flow air filter and an optimized ECU. Thanks to these modifications, the 5.7-liter V8 engine produces 500 bhp (373 kW) and 530 lb-ft (718 Nm) of torque - an increase of 117 bhp (87 kW) and 127 lb-ft (172 Nm). This enables the SUV to accelerate from 0-60 mph in 6.6 seconds and run the quarter mile in 14.6 seconds at 98 mph (158 km/h).

The package also adds exterior badging and an individually-numbered plaque on the center console.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11401246...to-produce-500
Old 01-24-14, 01:39 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Hennessey huh. Think I'd rather get the TRD Supercharger for the OEM name. Compared to these numbers from Hennessey, how similar better or worse are the TRD SC numbers on an LX or any 5.7 V8 model?
Old 01-25-14, 05:22 AM
Mazinger
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UZJ100GXR
I was bored....
goes without saying if you live in Qatar
Old 01-25-14, 08:20 AM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mazinger
goes without saying if you live in Qatar

Ouch

It's a nice place to live in. I love it! It is definitely no Dubai when it comes to tourism and things to do.
It is developing very very rapidly though, 2022 FIFA WORLD CUP in the horizon as well, lots of projects going on. Everything is literally under construction.

I love the UAE, i was just there last month and i had a great time, so much great terrain to explore off road. Lots of awesome world class car accessories/garages in the UAE.

Last edited by UZJ100GXR; 01-25-14 at 08:50 AM.
Old 01-25-14, 08:25 AM
UZJ100GXR
Lead Lap

Vh_Supra26
It doesn't seem to have given it a big difference, at least from what i've seen during the race.

If i'm not mistaken the TRD kit gets it up to 504 hp and 745nm...with a nice tune it can reach 550hp.

Last edited by UZJ100GXR; 01-25-14 at 08:55 AM.
Old 01-25-14, 09:40 AM
Big Andy
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The current version looks like it fell out of the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down. That said, if you go back through the various incarnations it's never been much of a looker. The problem is, starting with a Land Cruiser, you're going to struggle to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

It's reliable though.
Old 01-25-14, 09:44 AM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
While I really do like the LX570, especially the front spindle look and the fact that my husband and I are former owners of a LX470, I am going to have to say that the LX is now a tired formula for the American market. While the vehicle might be great for the world or overseas market, it just not cut it for the US.

The two main issues with the LX are that it is 1/8th too small, and inside, it is begging for room.

The rear seats do not fold flat and cannot be removed, to me this is not a good feature. And because the seats cannot be removed, it takes up so much valuable space inside.

The new QX gets the "American" formula right.

There was a time when the LX sold 15k in the US market, now sales are down to less than 400 a month.

Move it to the Sequoia platform, and Lexus will attract more buyers.

I gotta say, the interior of the LX is indeed lovely.
The LX570 is more of a symbol of wealth these days (at least in our neighborhood). It's very similar to the BMW X6 in this regard, although not quite as offensive. The LX570 is still leaps and bounds more practical than an X6 or a Hummer, for example.
Old 01-25-14, 09:47 AM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LexFather

Yeah I didn't read your post prior to posting myself, but this is pretty much exactly correct.
Old 01-25-14, 09:51 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly, for 120 extra HP, I expected a little more of a gap in performance. 5.7L iForce V8 is already a very strong engine as-is. It's never let me wanting for power in any application.
Old 01-26-14, 02:55 AM
gymratter
Lead Lap

doesn't the LX only cost a little more than the land cruiser? I see no reason why people would pick the Toyota version over the LX.

Quick Reply: Lexus LX through the years