Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Sad story of buying a used E46 M3 SMG

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-13, 11:31 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Nothing really sad about the story unless you consider getting a TSX instead of a M3 . More than anything the Honda dealership should be given kudos for taking the BMW back.Really awesome on their part.

That said the M3 SMG was one of the first dual clutches I believe and it was a 55k car so when new. Of course the tranny will be expensive, at the time it was state of the art for BMW. In comparison a TSX has a 5 speed automatic still, something a Lexus had in 1997.

I have a pulse so I would have kept the M3 and told them to fix it. Completely apples to oranges in regards to cars here, the E46 M3 is one of the all time greats and the 2nd gen TSX is a nice reliable uninspired car about to get discontinued.

You can't really complain about a 11 year old BMW M3 if it breaks down, especially one not sold at a BMW dealership.
well said.

also 8800 is exaggerating it a lot. if he wanted a working car back on the road, it's about 1/4 of that price.
Old 05-09-13, 11:54 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
also 8800 is exaggerating it a lot. if he wanted a working car back on the road, it's about 1/4 of that price.
hummmmm.....$2200 to rebuild an SMG tranny...? or are you just talking about the pump?

and at 47K, NO I don't think the tranny should implode to the tune of $8800...11 years or not...

more info...

The e46 was great...looked great, drove great...that is until the trans would only give me reverse and 2nd. I mean, I could do 45 or 50 mph, but driving around at 6500 rpm would get old quick. Nothing drives like a BMW, but I'll give you guys some advice, don't buy one out of warranty as an only vehicle, well an M model anyway. And make sure you have records with it, although this one had all of its service records since new and had just had its inspection II done. Luck of the draw I guess.

Last edited by bagwell; 05-09-13 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-09-13, 12:06 PM
kt22cliff
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blueprint
That said the M3 SMG was one of the first dual clutches I believe and it was a 55k car so when new. Of course the tranny will be expensive, at the time it was state of the art for BMW. In comparison a TSX has a 5 speed automatic still, something a Lexus had in 1997.
SMG for E46 M3 was not a dual clutch. In fact, it's the same exact 6 speed manual gearbox as the E46 M3 6MT version except there is no clutch pedal and the clutch is engaged/disengaged via combination of computers/hydraulics when driver upshift/downshift. Since it's the same 6MT gearbox as regular E46 M3, SMG is really no more or no less "reliable" Although there are SMG hydraulic pump failures that are clearly doesn't happen with 6MT, that wouldn't "grenade" on you. It most likely just won't engage into any gears. In fact, SMG computer does help to save the gearbox from being "grenaded" by not allowing to be moneyshifted which certainly could happen with 6MT.
Old 05-09-13, 12:07 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
point is --- don't buy an E46 M3 (esp SMG) w/o a warranty!!

maybe the thread title should be "sad story of buying an E46 M3" or "Be wary when buying a used E46 M3"
Point is don't buy any German car out if warranty. A coworker bought a trade in M6 2010. Next day it was in the shop. Fixed it, drove it a day and back it was in he shop. Gave it back to the dealer and bought a new S5 vert with extended warranty. The BMW only had 40K on the clock
Old 05-09-13, 12:21 PM
kt22cliff
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hummmmm.....$2200 to rebuild an SMG tranny...? or are you just talking about the pump?

and at 47K, NO I don't think the tranny should implode to the tune of $8800...11 years or not...

more info...
If he could engage the 2nd gear and the reverse gear then most likely the gearbox AND pump was working fine. Could be it needed to swap/reprogram the SMG control module or one of more hydraulic line was in need of changing. Definitely not a $8800 job even if you took it to a BMW stealership. It probably didn't help that it was the 3rd car that wasn't driven at all and probably still had the original factory transmission oil never flushed out since leaving the factory in 2002.
Old 05-09-13, 03:35 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
The problem is that it's tough to determine what part of the SMG is not working, so many dealerships will only replace the whole thing rather than risk repairs that don't fix the problem and thus customer wrath. I personally know three E46 M3 SMG owners who all had SMG problems at one point. One of them whose SMG would occasionally go into limp mode took his to a dealer and they went through replacing the pump, selector rods, ECU, relay, and sensors, and still had problems, so they eventually replaced the whole unit anyway. He told me the repair bill at that point had exceeded $10,000 but they just charged him for the new unit.

The last owner I knew who had problems (this would be circa 2009-2010) took his to two dealers in the area and neither would do anything but a full replacement, likely because they were already wary of issues with attempting a focused repair.

BTW, doesn't this remind us all of something... like the N54 debacle that was blamed on the HPFP? The takeaway from this isn't to avoid E46 M3 SMGs, but to avoid BMWs and perhaps German cars, period...

Originally Posted by kt22cliff
SMG for E46 M3 was not a dual clutch. In fact, it's the same exact 6 speed manual gearbox as the E46 M3 6MT version except there is no clutch pedal and the clutch is engaged/disengaged via combination of computers/hydraulics when driver upshift/downshift. Since it's the same 6MT gearbox as regular E46 M3, SMG is really no more or no less "reliable". Although there are SMG hydraulic pump failures that are clearly doesn't happen with 6MT, that wouldn't "grenade" on you. It most likely just won't engage into any gears. In fact, SMG computer does help to save the gearbox from being "grenaded" by not allowing to be moneyshifted which certainly could happen with 6MT.
The reliability issue isn't from that part of the transmission, it's from all the mechanisms in the actual SMG actuator portion. Read any BMW internet forum, and you'll find loads of people who have had trouble with the E46 M3 SMG, far exceeding any problems with the manual transmission only.
Old 05-09-13, 04:11 PM
CincyBrad
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buying an 11 year old german car was the first mistake, dream car or not. Better off just lighting the cash on fire in your driveway.

I had a 2008 M3, that I traded in with 6k miles on it, for a 2008 TL-Type S. in the 6 months I owned that car, it was in the shop 10 times for various problems. That killed me on German cars, will never buy one again as long as I live, I don't care how nice it is.
Old 05-09-13, 04:18 PM
Hoovey689

Leasing a German car is ok though. In fact they almost expect you too with the crazy lease incentives/deals they offer. They know if they can make that work, customer retention will be good despite the products not being "bought" so to speak
Old 05-09-13, 04:27 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Leasing a German car is ok though. In fact they almost expect you too with the crazy lease incentives/deals they offer. They know if they can make that work, customer retention will be good despite the products not being "bought" so to speak
why is leasing better? you're still gonna have mech issues leasing or buying.....or are you saying that's how you keep the miles off a lease car
Old 05-09-13, 04:44 PM
Hoovey689

why is leasing better? you're still gonna have mech issues leasing or buying.....or are you saying that's how you keep the miles off a lease car
Cause in the end, it's not your hunk of metal sitting in the driveway cause of HPFP issues. It's the dealers problem, and then the sucker that buys it used cause the depreciation has made it look like a nice buy.
Old 05-09-13, 04:50 PM
ST430
Pole Position

Received 120 Likes on 67 Posts

"my dream car, a 2002 M3 SMG"

moral of the story....don't have such low expectations! :X
Old 05-09-13, 04:53 PM
bigbwb
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by UberNoob
i think the point should be:
do your research and dont buy a pre-04 E46 M3 with SMG

the guy really lucked out having bought it from a good dealership
What changed after 2004 regarding the SMG? Did BMW address some of the reliability issues starting in 2005 or what?

Thanks.
Old 05-09-13, 05:06 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbwb
What changed after 2004 regarding the SMG? Did BMW address some of the reliability issues starting in 2005 or what?

Thanks.
Lots of people say don't buy pre-2004 because they heard of rod bearing issues/engine failure in 2002-2003 MYs. Production dates after April 2003, "2003.5" models, had the issue fixed.
Old 05-09-13, 05:18 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Biggest mistake is that they bought the SMG.

Geez get the 6MT. It's not THAT HARD to drive a traditional 3-pedal manual!
Old 05-09-13, 05:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by kt22cliff
SMG for E46 M3 was not a dual clutch. In fact, it's the same exact 6 speed manual gearbox as the E46 M3 6MT version except there is no clutch pedal and the clutch is engaged/disengaged via combination of computers/hydraulics when driver upshift/downshift. Since it's the same 6MT gearbox as regular E46 M3, SMG is really no more or no less "reliable" Although there are SMG hydraulic pump failures that are clearly doesn't happen with 6MT, that wouldn't "grenade" on you. It most likely just won't engage into any gears. In fact, SMG computer does help to save the gearbox from being "grenaded" by not allowing to be moneyshifted which certainly could happen with 6MT.
yes, i also believe the smg was single clutch. the m-dct was dual.

this story doesn't really come as much of a surprise, the smg is always a scary thing and i have heard so many people with problems. the m-dct was greatly improved, though i still heard issues.

Quick Reply: Sad story of buying a used E46 M3 SMG