Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Chevy Volt will soon be available for up to $10,000 less

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-13, 07:30 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Chevy Volt will soon be available for up to $10,000 less

Mark Modica

Great news for consumers who are considering buying General Motors' green wonder car, the Chevy Volt. I know how excited those environmentally conscientious Volt enthusiasts can get, but a little patience can pay off big time if potential buyers hold off for a year or so on their purchase. According to GM CEO Dan Akerson and following another dismal month of Volt sales (1,306 in April), the car that defies logic will soon be available for up to $10,000 less money. The good news extends to shareholders of GM as the next generation of the Volt will supposedly be profitable for the company. So, as we say prepare to say goodbye to the current generation of the obsolescent Volt, let's take a trip down memory lane to review how past promises for the car panned out.

The Chevy Volt's taxpayer-funded roots date back to the Bush Administration, with a concept car being developed in 2007. The fact that government funding and subsidies for dubious green projects began under Bush is often referred to by proponents of the Volt, many of whom continue to maintain the political strategy that the best way to defer criticism is to blame the previous administration.

Hype for the Volt initially built up steam as GM claimed that the miracle car would be a savior for both the company and the US auto industry while it made a plea for a taxpayer-funded bailout in 2009. The car was touted to get 230 mpg and would be a "pure EV" that used no gas when utilizing its lithium-ion based battery power source with a gas-powered engine that would be a back-up to only generate power for the battery system as opposed to driving the wheels. Both of these claims turned out to be false.

While GM now indignantly denies that the Volt was "Obama's car" or had political motivations, it sure is hard to ignore the fact that the White House was one of the biggest cheerleaders for what would become the electric version of the Ford Edsel. The Volt hype shifted into high gear as the GM IPO approached. In late May of 2010 the White House announced that they would purchase the first 100 Volts that rolled off the assembly line. President Obama served as the Car Salesman in Chief, visiting the Volt plant in July of 2010. He took a Volt for a 10 foot test-roll and proclaimed the ride "pretty smooth." He later suggested Americans who felt they could not afford the rising price of gas should buy Volts as a solution.

Dan Akerson played his part as he displayed either a lack of auto industry savvy or an abundance of BS in January of 2011 when he raised sales guidance for the Volt. 2011 would see 25,000 Volts sold as opposed to 10,000. The Obama-appointed Akerson had a vision of a green GM and planned for 120,000 Volts to sell in 2012, up from the previous 60,000 units. The final numbers were an embarrassment as 7,671 Volts sold in 2011 followed by 23,461 in 2012.

The deceit surrounding the overestimated potential and subsequent failure of Volt sales ramped up faster than the aforementioned hype. Akerson and GM's spin on why the Volt did not live up to expectations began with a flat out denial that demand did not exist for the car. Claims were made that the car was in fact so popular that GM could not build the darn things fast enough! This was proven to be an outright lie (exposed here) as it appeared that GM was focusing on both a political goal of vehicle electrification and a "bait and switch" strategy to drive consumers into showrooms to see the much-hyped Volt only to try and sell them gas-powered Chevy Cruzes. The lack of supply fib was followed by Akerson claiming that a right-wing conspiracy was the culprit for the Volt's woes.

The measly sales for the Volt that did exist were driven by governmental help and an attempt by GM to "manufacture demand" that otherwise did not exist. Tax subsidies along with manipulated lease programs put drivers in Volts for as short a term as two years for low payments - at the expense of taxpayers. The federal government gave money to localities to buy Volts. This was in addition to the purchases by the federal government and military. Crony company GE (manufacturer of charging stations) purchased an undisclosed amount as well.

Despite all of the evidence that lithium-ion based vehicles like the Chevy Volt do not have the potential that we were led to believe that they did, GM and the Obama Administration refuse to acknowledge the facts. Taxpayers continue to be on the hook as Obama now wants to raise the federal tax credit for EVs to $10,000. GM is doubling down on the technology with new plug-in vehicles being planned and promises for a new and improved Volt. The Chevy Volt has been a fiasco that refuses to die as bottomless taxpayer pockets stand ready to continue the funding for an idea spawned out of a dangerous union of a wasteful government and a deceitful corporation.

For those optimists considering the purchase of a Volt that continue to believe GM and Akerson, even after all of the previous lies, I would make the following suggestion. Wait a year to purchase your new shiny, green vehicle. I'm sure Mother Earth will manage to survive the dire consequences of global warming for one more year while you wait. You can then save $10,000 on your purchase while learning more about just how viable the supposedly wonderful technology behind the Volt really is. You may even be able to get some additional money in tax subsidies if Obama has his way. If all goes well, you will be driving the wave of the future in a year's time as the new Chevy Volt finally ramps up and becomes the great success that GM promised. I wouldn't bet on it, though.

Mark Modica is an NLPC Associate Fellow.
Old 05-13-13, 08:20 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

You could discount it another $10,000 and I still wouldn't buy it
Old 05-13-13, 08:27 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ford is giving deep discounts on their Hybrid version of the Fiesta and Lexus is also giving deep discounts on the GS450h. There seem to be a trend where people want the fuel savings, but don't really want to pay the premiun for the hybrid power train. Why would anyone buy an EV for a premium price higher than what they can get for a discounted hybrid then?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle11874978/

Last edited by My0gr81; 05-13-13 at 08:30 AM.
Old 05-13-13, 08:28 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
You could discount it another $10,000 and I still wouldn't buy it
Why Hoovey?
Plenty of charge up parking here.

Old 05-13-13, 08:29 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Present Volt owners will see their Volts drop $10K in value.
Old 05-13-13, 08:35 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by My0gr81
Ford is giving deep discounts on their Hybrid version of the Fiesta and Lexus is also giving deep discounts on the GS450h. There seem to be a trend where people want the fuel savings, but don't really want to pay the premiun for the hybrid power train. Why would anyone buy an EV for a premium price higher than what they can get for a discounted hybrid then?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe...ticle11874978/
There is no hybrid version of the Fiesta. You probably meant Fusion, as there isn't even a Focus hybrid - there is however a Focus EV. That said the article only mentioned the Fiesta subcompact in comparison hybrids because of fuel economy. And even then the overall focus of the article is saying that fuel efficient cars are a hard sell at their prices

Lexus has to discount the GS450h because it is way too much at $70,000. Grant I think its a spectacular car inside and out, but no way would I pay over $62,000 for it.

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Why Hoovey?

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Present Volt owners will see their Volts drop $10K in value.
omg I'd be sick hah. of course I would have never found myself in that predicament anyway
Old 05-13-13, 09:07 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I'm generally not one to gloat and say "I told you so". .....but I'm glad to see that at least someone at GM was listening. The moment Chevy first released the list-pricing for the Volt (not to mention my actual review of it) I felt that this car was significantly overpriced, even compared to other extended-range plug-in hybrids. Sure, you got a Federal $7500 tax credit (and sometimes state or local credits)...but that didn't do much for a car that not only started at some 41K, but typically had 3-5K of options and another 3-5K on top of that in additional dealer-markup from all the hype and publicity the car got. So, even with the tax-credit, you had essentially a 48-49K car that still went out the door for 40-41K or more....a big chunk of money for a Chevy Cruze-size compact that, unlike the Cruze, also had (IMO) serious ergonomic problems in the design of its dash/gauges/console/shifter. I definitely did not recommend the purchase of this car at 41K...but if it could go out the door for some 10K less, more in line with Toyota Priuses (maybe 30K or so), it might be worth considering, if one can live with the ergonomics inside....(which I couldn't).

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-13-13 at 09:13 AM.
Old 05-13-13, 09:09 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Coupe LOL!!!!!

Old 05-13-13, 09:32 AM
LexFather

Not surprising the price will drop. I've actually been checking them out, owners seem super happy and I am really curious to own an electric car. I've evaluated my needs and it would fit fine. (mind you I am all over the ****ing map on my next vehicle)

This also led me to the Porsche Panamera E-hybrid, for 2014 it now can also be plugged in and driven 20 miles on electric.

Old 05-13-13, 09:39 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Not surprising the price will drop. I've actually been checking them out, owners seem super happy and I am really curious to own an electric car. I've evaluated my needs and it would fit fine. (mind you I am all over the ****ing map on my next vehicle)

This also led me to the Porsche Panamera E-hybrid, for 2014 it now can also be plugged in and driven 20 miles on electric.
Mike, if you're going to check out an electric or a hybrid as a personal daily-driver, definitely check out a new Fusion Hybrid before you sign on the dotted line for anything. I'm not necessarily saying buy one...just check it out. I don't think you will be disappointed...especially if you compare it to the more-expensive Lincoln MKZ hybrid, which, IMO, not only costs more but has worse ergonomics than the Fusion.

(BTW, had I not bought a Verano, the new Fusion would have been in my Top Five)
Old 05-13-13, 09:47 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Mike, if you're going to check out an electric or a hybrid as a personal daily-driver, definitely check out a new Fusion Hybrid before you sign on the dotted line for anything. I'm not necessarily saying buy one...just check it out. I don't think you will be disappointed...especially if you compare it to the more-expensive Lincoln MKZ hybrid, which, IMO, not only costs more but has worse ergonomics than the Fusion.

(BTW, had I not bought a Verano, the new Fusion would have been in my Top Five)

but it only gets 37 mpg

I wouldn't mind a Volt - only so I could give big oil the middle finger.
Old 05-13-13, 09:50 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

the hell is up with that parking lot, what a waste of spaces. Not to mention 2 plugs for every 6 spots. Going to fight over who gets to charge? Luckily it will be empty most of the time so there shouldnt be disputes over charge cords
Old 05-13-13, 09:57 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
but it only gets 37 mpg
Drive a Fusion Hybrid and Volt side-by-side, though, and I think you will see what I'm talking about. The Fusion has some excellent road-manners....plus there's definitely more room inside.

I wouldn't mind a Volt - only so I could give big oil the middle finger.
Remember, though, who provides much of the energy for the Volt (and other extended-range-hybrids).....big electricity.
Old 05-13-13, 10:08 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Remember, though, who provides much of the energy for the Volt (and other extended-range-hybrids).....big electricity.
Mike --- I live in an area where electricity is deregulated, over 40 different electricity providers sell 100% renewable (wind/solar/etc.)...and most don't cost any more than traditional coal or gas fired.
Old 05-13-13, 10:13 AM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the lincoln mkz is pretty hot looking, I'd really consider it at 30k...since I know they aren't selling at 36k.

not sure where that pics of the ev parking lot is, but here in southern cali west los angeles area, the ev parking lots are full.

Quick Reply: Chevy Volt will soon be available for up to $10,000 less