Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura ILX

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-12, 02:13 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a stupid car.
Old 04-23-12, 02:21 PM
KillaIS250
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Why do they insist on keeping that front grill??!

I don't understand the point of this car and its too much for what it is.

Sadly, it will probably sell ok.
Old 04-23-12, 02:51 PM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

First Impression....there isn't.
Old 04-23-12, 03:17 PM
seanlee
Driver

for 26k starting price. you guys are obviously expecting way to much.

let's see, 26k buys you nothing from Lexus, BMW, Audi, MB or anything. the closest thing from Lexus is probably CT200h with the starting price of 29120 (and in typical Acura fashion, the starting ILX always better equipped than starting Lexus), so realistically speaking, it is 4~5k cheaper than the next entry level luxury car.

besides.. A3 and CT200h are tiny cars. ILX is bigger than both of them and provide useful back seat. the directly comparison should really be Lexus HS, and we all know it starts at 38k.

it is certainly not a impressive piece of machine, but for the price it is pretty good. Heck, do you know Camry starts at 22k?
Old 04-23-12, 04:16 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
haha, um, no. the HS definitely has an advanced drivetrain, and yes, definitely more sophisticated than the IMA. but there's more to a car (and an entire brand) than how complex its power source is. the HS would have been great if it wasnt so homely. i know your Mom has one and loves it, so objectivity might be a challenge here, but we both know despite it being "more advanced than any Acura" it's a sales flop. Acura's got serious problems, but they're still selling quite a lot of vehicles.

the hybrid model gasoline engine gets that, yes. don't know what total power is with electric, but regardless, you know i'm not a big hybrid fan, and the normal gas cars get decent power (the 2.4 getting 201hp).

and for all your fuming about just 111hp on the gasoline engine in the ils hybrid, the CTh only gets 134hp combined gasoline and electric, so it's hardly much better if at all.

that's clearly ridiculous. the ils is an entry luxury car below the tsx. while acura doesn't mean anything to you, newsflash, lexus doesn't mean anything to a lot of people either.

you're comparing today's prices with 11 and 8 years ago? lol

well hey, at least you can GET a stick, but again newsflash, just like lexus, there's option constraints which won't please some people.

to get heated seats on the CTh you have to buy the $2600 premium option.

would expect nothing less from you, even if the car could fly and had 1000hp for $15k.
The HS has real wood. Most Acuras have fake wood
The HS has cooled seats. Most Acuras don't have cooled seats
The HS has Lexus enform. Acura has no such equivalent feature.
The HS has semi-analine leather seats. No Acura has this luxury feature
The HS has plastics specially made to be better for the environment. Acura has no such thing.
The HS is 85% recyclable. Acura isn't close
The HS offers LED lights. Acura doesn't offer this
The HS offers a Heads Up Display. Acura doesn't offer this.
The HS offers a true hybrid system. No Acura offers this
etc etc

BTW the HS is the worst Lexus product out now and is going to be discontinued. Yet its still more advanced than most Acuras.

Sorry but Acura's reputation and image is so low and damaged it doesn't mean anything to people. Every year they score low in public perception. The brand is now basically a BUick competitor and hardly offers anything above Hyundai, Kia, Toyota, Ford, GM, Chrysler let alone, Cadillac, Lincoln, Infiniit, let alone BMW, Benz, Lexus, Audi.

Why you and others are defending monkeycrap is beyond me. Call a spade a spade, it sucks and lol Autoblog agrees. The vast majority of people see right through this terrible offering that is ALL NEW for 2012. It is a terrible new car badged with a "luxury" plate.

Originally Posted by nvslm
The pricing we talking about is just MSRP, there will be discount on these. So why are we talking like that a base ILX will go for $26K without discount?

Regardless of how much Acura is asking for these car, it's matter is how much the can sell it for that it's TMV, so why we all fretting about what it's MSRP is?
So basically you are saying Acura is going to have to discount it even more, one of the cheapest luxury branded cars to sell. Brilliant.

ILX for people that don't know **** about cars, hate cars but want a luxury badge b/c that means more than actually having luxury content.

Last edited by LexFather; 04-23-12 at 04:21 PM.

Old 04-23-12, 04:25 PM
LexFather

So basically Autoblog wrote "1sick is completely right, it is monkey crap". This is gold

Originally Posted by seanlee
for 26k starting price. you guys are obviously expecting way to much.

let's see, 26k buys you nothing from Lexus, BMW, Audi, MB or anything. the closest thing from Lexus is probably CT200h with the starting price of 29120 (and in typical Acura fashion, the starting ILX always better equipped than starting Lexus), so realistically speaking, it is 4~5k cheaper than the next entry level luxury car.

besides.. A3 and CT200h are tiny cars. ILX is bigger than both of them and provide useful back seat. the directly comparison should really be Lexus HS, and we all know it starts at 38k.

it is certainly not a impressive piece of machine, but for the price it is pretty good. Heck, do you know Camry starts at 22k?
Don't badge it a luxury car. People expect a minimum of things if you want to call it a luxury car. It completely fails there so you can't get upset about people expecting a luxury badged car to have luxury.

The ILX reminds me of the Dave Chapelle Skit "just b/c I'm dressed like a police officer, doesn't mean I am a police officer". That is confusing

The HS is so far superior to the ILX its not even funny. The HS being based on the Avensis is a TSX competitor. The Euro Accord battles the Avensis in Europe. The CT is a superior car as well and the new A3 is around the corner and every new Audi has done very well.

For the price its a joke. Most NON luxury cars in the 20-30k segment are FAR superior. Not just a little bit.

This is a **** poor effort and should not be defended. If you are a loyal Acura/Honda fan you should expect more from the company and not defend and buy such crap or they are going to continue to build it.

Last edited by LexFather; 04-23-12 at 04:38 PM.

Old 04-23-12, 04:28 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
$1,750 manufacturer to dealer incentive.
The TL can be bought for way under invoice.
Still too ugly to me.

On the ILX.
I like the ILX is weak sauce.
I like the current toned down styling of the TL better than before, but still not enough to buy one. I buy cars in this segment and would possibly consider the next gen TL but it would totally depend on the styling. Under the skin they are fine IMO.
Old 04-23-12, 04:35 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I like the current toned down styling of the TL better than before, but still not enough to buy one. I buy cars in this segment and would possibly consider the next gen TL but it would totally depend on the styling. Under the skin they are fine IMO.
It's toned down a lot.Less ugly but still ugly.The interior is very nice.Also has a very good sound system and the car is well built.
I haven't drove the newer TL but I'm guessing the ride is pretty harsh and quite noisy like other Honda/Acura models.
Those two things turn me off even if I liked the design.
Old 04-23-12, 04:48 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,618 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
So basically Autoblog wrote "1sick is completely right, it is monkey crap". This is gold
you sure you don't write FOR autoblog?

Don't badge it a luxury car. People expect a minimum of things if you want to call it a luxury car. It completely fails there so you can't get upset about people expecting a luxury badged car to have luxury.
the same is true of the CTh unless completely loaded. and regardless of how it's loaded it has little space and little power. if you want such 'luxury features' as heated seats (not) the car starts at $32.5K list. and that DOESN'T include leather, homelink, dimming rear view mirror, memory seats. if you want those hardly fancy features (not talking about stuff like nav or better audio), you've added another $2.5K bringing it to $35K. yes it's a hybrid - basically a slow prius drivetrain. the CTh is quite nice, but far from a bargain of any kind. the ILX is a bargain in comparison, and probably with a lot more room.

The HS is so far superior to the ILX its not even funny.
as you like to do, let's see how the sales numbers go. the HS is being canned.

This is a **** poor effort and should not be defended.
for every jab you take at acura, i will find similar with lexus. you seem to hate acura because it's not like lexus. that's fine, but that was never honda's intent. acura has never been as luxurious, so really nothing has changed. acura has never had V8, RWD, and many luxury amenities. does that make them indefensible? please. are they for everyone? no.

but keep on with the haterade. it's fun.
Old 04-23-12, 05:05 PM
seanlee
Driver

The ILX reminds me of the Dave Chapelle Skit "just b/c I'm dressed like a police officer, doesn't mean I am a police officer". That is confusing

The HS is so far superior to the ILX its not even funny. The HS being based on the Avensis is a TSX competitor. The Euro Accord battles the Avensis in Europe.

For the price its a joke. Most NON luxury cars in the 20-30k segment are FAR superior. Not just a little bit.

This is a **** poor effort and should not be defended. If you are a loyal Acura/Honda fan you should expect more from the company and not defend and buy such crap or they are going to continue to build it.
i am not arguing this is not the case. the ILX really is a fancy Civic, just like TL was a fancy Accord.

HS should be far superior than ILX, it better be with 50% higher MSRP.

thing is you are expecting ILX to provide level of refinement that is simply not possible for the price tag it associates. i do want ILX to rival LS460, but that's just laughable.

again, 26k isn't all that much when you consider the basic of the basic camry starts 22k. heck, do you know a jazzed up 4 speed, cloth seat corolla can cost 24k?

i said before and i will say it again, Acura doesn't need a home run car, it doesn't need NSX or RL. Acura dose not compete with big boys and no one in their right mind buys Acura purely for the image (just like no one buy Nissan Ultima because they produce GTR...). i know i don't. you buy Acura because it priced nicely with features you get. Acura provide very nice compromise between price and feature, and it is reliable with good resale value. the world is not black and white, there is a lot of gray.

i recall few CL member disapprove HS200 because it felt like a Toyota not Lexus, while giving a good rating for HS because of its refinement. but guess what? HS is a huge flop and CT sales like hot cake. does CT ride like Lexus? NO. does CT provide enough Power? NO. does CT provide best in the class interior? NO, does CT provide best fuel mileage? NO. but what CT does is a attractive looking, Lexus service and CHEAP. and that, my friend, is what ILX is looking to achieve.

if you just look at CT and ILX, the result is obvious

CT has better image (Lexus) and better mileage.
but ILX is : at least 4k cheaper (and if you do any car shopping, you know you would take 4K cash over 4 MPG gain, especially we are talking about 38 vs 42), it is bigger. it provide the same warranty. it provide bigger cabin room.

many say Acura Integra is a great car. i think the ILX will be able to take the Integra's place.
Old 04-23-12, 05:06 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Should have thrown the Accord hybrid setup in the TL when they had the chance. Though it failed in the Accord, it would have been far, far more appealing the TL. Today, it is of course out of date. Stupid Honda.
Old 04-23-12, 07:53 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
you sure you don't write FOR autoblog?

the same is true of the CTh unless completely loaded. and regardless of how it's loaded it has little space and little power. if you want such 'luxury features' as heated seats (not) the car starts at $32.5K list. and that DOESN'T include leather, homelink, dimming rear view mirror, memory seats. if you want those hardly fancy features (not talking about stuff like nav or better audio), you've added another $2.5K bringing it to $35K. yes it's a hybrid - basically a slow prius drivetrain. the CTh is quite nice, but far from a bargain of any kind. the ILX is a bargain in comparison, and probably with a lot more room.

as you like to do, let's see how the sales numbers go. the HS is being canned.

for every jab you take at acura, i will find similar with lexus. you seem to hate acura because it's not like lexus. that's fine, but that was never honda's intent. acura has never been as luxurious, so really nothing has changed. acura has never had V8, RWD, and many luxury amenities. does that make them indefensible? please. are they for everyone? no.

but keep on with the haterade. it's fun.
Except you sit in the CT for 2 seconds and realize its built like a luxury car. The Dash is very high grade, everything is nice to touch, it feels like a baby Lexus. It does not come across as a **** poor effort just move down to get sales, nor is it replacing the IS
The speakers are made of bamboo, a worlds first. 10 speakers standard
There is a sport/normal/eco mode that changes the throttle response.
Depending on mode, the gauges change from blue to red
The NuLuxe is environmentally friendly. There is no cloth CT.
You get dual zone climate control standard.
The plastics are made of a new technology that are less harmful to the environment
It gets 42 MPG average
You get 17" wheels standard
You get turn signal mirrors Standard
More LED lights
Power windows one touch and close
10 way power drivers seat
LED daytime running lamps, no Acura has this
Lexus Enform

Not only that the CT has gotten solid reviews all around, it is luxurious even though its small, it drives sporty and Lexus backs it with F-sport options and parts. The market has spoken, the CT has been a huge hit here, in Europe, in Asia, everywhere. It has proven that people here will buy a small luxury hatch, something the Germans in America have not succeeded at.

If your intent is to find similar faults at Lexus on a Lexus forum, go right ahead and continue, nothing else for me to say here. Enjoy the ILX, its a world beater

Originally Posted by seanlee
i am not arguing this is not the case. the ILX really is a fancy Civic, just like TL was a fancy Accord.

HS should be far superior than ILX, it better be with 50% higher MSRP.

thing is you are expecting ILX to provide level of refinement that is simply not possible for the price tag it associates. i do want ILX to rival LS460, but that's just laughable.

again, 26k isn't all that much when you consider the basic of the basic camry starts 22k. heck, do you know a jazzed up 4 speed, cloth seat corolla can cost 24k?

i said before and i will say it again, Acura doesn't need a home run car, it doesn't need NSX or RL. Acura dose not compete with big boys and no one in their right mind buys Acura purely for the image (just like no one buy Nissan Ultima because they produce GTR...). i know i don't. you buy Acura because it priced nicely with features you get. Acura provide very nice compromise between price and feature, and it is reliable with good resale value. the world is not black and white, there is a lot of gray.

i recall few CL member disapprove HS200 because it felt like a Toyota not Lexus, while giving a good rating for HS because of its refinement. but guess what? HS is a huge flop and CT sales like hot cake. does CT ride like Lexus? NO. does CT provide enough Power? NO. does CT provide best in the class interior? NO, does CT provide best fuel mileage? NO. but what CT does is a attractive looking, Lexus service and CHEAP. and that, my friend, is what ILX is looking to achieve.

if you just look at CT and ILX, the result is obvious

CT has better image (Lexus) and better mileage.
but ILX is : at least 4k cheaper (and if you do any car shopping, you know you would take 4K cash over 4 MPG gain, especially we are talking about 38 vs 42), it is bigger. it provide the same warranty. it provide bigger cabin room.

many say Acura Integra is a great car. i think the ILX will be able to take the Integra's place.
The Autoblog review just said this is no Integra.

Acura doesn't need a home run? You are right, they need a grand slam.

The ILX is no CT, period. Acura continues to fool fans bringing up cars this car is not going against. Hatchback buyers don't want sedans, thus why the market is small. A CT buyer would look at the ILX and laugh, its not close to being a better car. Acura refuses to acknowledge its main competitor, the Buick Verano as they don't want to publicly say "damn we are basically a Buick competitor now" The Buick Verano also seems superior and cheaper! They bring up the CT and A3 but they are not really competitors. The ILX offers pretty much nothing more than a optioned Focus, Dart, Elantra, etc etc offers. It literally is made for people that know jack **** about cars, are loyal to Honda, want a luxury badge and basically will buy crap just to have it. The CT is not that "cheap" it starts at 30k and hits 42k with options. The CT does not start at 26k.

Again the TL/TSX in the past offered a pretty damn good value/feature content and offering, thus why they were well received, sold well and reviewed well.. You got a loaded car with basically NAV as the main option for a value price. Here comes the ILX with LESS standard features, less power, less everything but OMG it has bluetooth and a push button start (completely late) and that is impressive?

For 30k let alone 34k loaded, the TSX currently is BY FAR the better car and its the older car. Honda has screwed Acura since prices are rising and they did not elevate the brand. So now they are de-contenting the cars trying to keep the prices down but optioned Acuras have "wtf" pricing.

The entire automotive universe is well aware of Acura's struggles yet Acura seems to be clueless to it.

I think you and bitkahuna should be defending this car on the Dodge Dart/Hyundai Elantra, Ford Focus forums Enjoy your ILX.

Old 04-23-12, 08:07 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

The frustration with Acura is that they have completely lost touch with who they were. They could have been step for step with Lexus but they not only got conservative but also lost any semblance of courage and imagination. This car is the latest desperate Hail Marry from a company that once held so much promise. I see compromise written all over it and that seems sad to me.
Old 04-23-12, 09:41 PM
LexFather

Talking

Originally Posted by speedflex
The frustration with Acura is that they have completely lost touch with who they were. They could have been step for step with Lexus but they not only got conservative but also lost any semblance of courage and imagination. This car is the latest desperate Hail Marry from a company that once held so much promise. I see compromise written all over it and that seems sad to me.
Which is exactly what this other review says.

http://www.autoguide.com/manufacture...view-1970.html

THE VERDICT

So why buy the ILX 2.4L? There is one reason, but it doesn’t exist yet.

Acura will reportedly move the TSX further up-market and based on the brand’s new strategy (as we’ve seen with the 2013 RDX) is all-but certain to mix more water into the proverbial orange drink. By comparison to that car, the ILX will then look like a good sporting option. And cars like the current TSX will be relegated to the Honda museum – a place that, not coincidentally, also seems to be where Honda now keeps its soul.

Until your options are limited to the car dealership equivalent of Sophie’s Choice, the ILX 2.4-liter is a car that’s worse than redundant, it’s irrelevant.

Old 04-23-12, 10:08 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

BTW the HS is the worst Lexus product out now and is going to be discontinued. Yet its still more advanced than most Acuras.
/thread

10char

Quick Reply: Acura ILX