Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura ILX

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-12, 03:38 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
How many years are we going to go on having to make posts like these? I know of no other company that can continue to make major blunders and not have those behind them fired. In every other industry, you get fired over things like this. Can you imagine how much money this and the premature Civic facelift had to cost the company? I just don't get it. It's like the weatherman who can give inaccurate forecasts 50% of the year and come back the next day like everything went just fine.
I agree, but really, there's only one person resposible. His name is CEO.
Old 12-13-12, 05:04 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The car is not bad. Exterior is okay and interior is fine..........BUT MY GOD, those engines are the weak****.

Wrong choice of engines for this kind of car.
Old 12-13-12, 06:49 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
The car is not bad. Exterior is okay and interior is fine..........BUT MY GOD, those engines are the weak****.

Wrong choice of engines for this kind of car.
especially for US market...
Old 12-13-12, 09:09 AM
LXotic
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The ILX "is not hitting its sales expectations," said John Mendel, American Honda executive vice president.
I never understood the idiots who design an ugly car and expect it to sell. What has Honda/Acura come down to...SMH
Old 12-13-12, 09:17 AM
doublehh03
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LXotic
I never understood the idiots who design an ugly car and expect it to sell. What has Honda/Acura come down to...SMH
It's actually a very nice design. The problem is the powertrain. If they fix that, the ILX can be a big seller for them. It's way too underpowered for that price range, and for a supposedly luxury car.
Old 12-13-12, 09:34 AM
LXotic
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by doublehh03
It's actually a very nice design. The problem is the powertrain. If they fix that, the ILX can be a big seller for them. It's way too underpowered for that price range, and for a supposedly luxury car.
Looks are subjective, but you can't quite say that the new designs Acura has been pumping out have been "home-runs". i.e. new RDX, current gen TL, ZDX, ILX....all abject failures
Old 12-13-12, 09:36 AM
doublehh03
Pole Position

Looks are subjective, but you can't quite say that the new designs Acura has been pumping out have been "home-runs". i.e. new RDX, current gen TL, ZDX, ILX....all abject failures
The new RDX is a home run all-around. And it's selling like hotcakes.
Old 12-13-12, 09:51 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

My neighbors bought a white RDX w/Tech pkg.Very,very nice.I big improvement over the last generation RDX.
Old 12-13-12, 10:19 AM
LexFather

When you base your supposed luxury car on a Civic, a vehicle that was pretty average/sub-par, well what do you expect? Its not like it was based on a winner.

Acura at least used to have the "value" boat but they no longer even offer value. The ILX is way to expensive for what you get and you can't even get the big engine with NAV. The hybrid has 111hp and terrible MPG for such a small car.

It was a terrible effort and its mind boggling to see this replace the TSX. They said the TSX doesn't make money so they made the ILX here in America based on the Civic. Yet it doesn't offer any value. Its not like the ILX offers the same thing as the TSX for less money.

It just offers less for less.

Exactly. It doesn't even have exhaust outlets lol. Same giant overhangs, beak, fake IS c-pillar etc. It looks cheap, it does not convey luxury at all.

Home-Run in sales. It is a pretty average effort and now CR-V based, lost its turbo, lost is SH-AWD, has no real tech features. Its just a bland SUV cheaper than the competition for loyal Honda fans to buy.

Old 12-13-12, 10:25 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
My neighbors bought a white RDX w/Tech pkg.Very,very nice.I big improvement over the last generation RDX.
The new RDX does offer a lot for the money and with the Tech Pkg is very nice.

The old one was "interesting" at best and didn't sell that well for them vs. the new model.
Old 12-13-12, 01:41 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Here in Canada, we have had Acura Civics (EL rebadged from 6th- and 7th-generation Civics and CSX rebadged from 8th-generation Civic) since 1997. They literally were badge-engineered cars (Honda Canada learned their lesson well from GM), with only SLIGHTLY revised headlights and taillights, and leather seats. The changes were so slight that you could barely tell the EL/CSX apart from a Civic at a quick glance; the CSX even kept that gimmicky 2-tier Civic instrument panel. Yet, they were the best-selling Acuras in Canada.

I do not know how well this new Acura Civic (sorry, I mean ILX) is selling but I have seen only one on the road to now, here in the richest and most-populous area of Canada. The ILX can't be THAT much worse than the EL and CSX, can it?
Old 12-13-12, 03:24 PM
cino
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Home-Run in sales. It is a pretty average effort and now CR-V based, lost its turbo, lost is SH-AWD, has no real tech features. Its just a bland SUV cheaper than the competition for loyal Honda fans to buy.

I have to disagree. Turbo in old RDX sucks. It neither is efficient, nor has better power than V6. NA has the instant throttle feel, but turbo engine in old RDX lags and is unrefined. I can see why they dropped the I4 turbo for V6.

It's sad to see Sh-AWD go, but I suspect that they develop E-Sh-AWD for high end model only.
Old 12-13-12, 07:29 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,413 Likes on 1,582 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
The ILX is way to expensive for what you get and you can't even get the big engine with NAV. The hybrid has 111hp and terrible MPG for such a small car.
as usual, you trot out the 111hp while the ILX is of course also offered with a 201hp 2.4 engine.

terrible mpg? ilx hybrid claims to get 39/38/38 mpg. and CTh claims to get 43/40/42 mpg, or about 10% better.

It doesn't even have exhaust outlets lol.
hmm... neither does the CTh lol.

(RDX is) just a bland SUV cheaper than the competition for loyal Honda fans to buy.
silly pot shot. by your logic the lexus RX is a bland SUV cheaper than the competition for loyal Toyota fans to buy.

they're both great vehicles for their intended customers.

time to stop your excessive irrational trashing of honda and acura. maybe you should watch this video to see what these losers say about it. http://www.acura.com/ConsumerImpressions.aspx?model=ILX hard to believe one says it handles better than their bmw!

they're a long way from perfect and have some duds. so do all brands.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 12-13-12 at 07:34 PM.
Old 12-13-12, 07:38 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,413 Likes on 1,582 Posts

just read this review in usatoday, seems to have it about right... w/ 2.4 it's fun and quick, with the 2.0 or 'woefully underpowered' hybrid, it's not fun or quick.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/money...nda/54650380/1

Last edited by bitkahuna; 12-13-12 at 07:49 PM.
Old 12-13-12, 08:15 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Acura to Retain 2.0-Liter Engine in ILX Compact Sedan; NSX Pricing Discussed View &

Looks like the news about dropping the 2.0 engine was untrue or is being refuted by Honda.

Source: http://blogs.automotive.com/exclusive-acura-to-retain-2-0-liter-engine-in-ilx-compact-sedan-nsx-pricing-discussed-121509.html#ixzz2EzpiY4Tl

Yesterday, we reported that the Acura ILX compact sedan that debuted in 2012 would have its base 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine dropped from its lineup, leaving only the upmarket 2.4-liter engine producing 201 horsepower and the 38-mpg ILX Hybrid in the lineup.

Those reports were false. The Acura ILX will continue to anchor its lineup with the base 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine, which makes 150 horsepower.

According to the original report we had referenced from Automotive News, Honda executive vice president John Mendel said the ILX with the base engine is ”underpowered, and consumers don’t see the value.” Mendel added that an automatic transmission is on the way for the more powerful 2.4-liter version, as originally intended for the car.

Acura spokesman Carter Jung called the implication that 2.0-liter engine would be dropped “pure speculation.” He said the 2.0-liter base engine would continue to be in the ILX’s portfolio.

“We just introduced the ILX this year,” he said. “It’s not being taken from the lineup.”

Mendel’s comments in the original report suggested that the ILX was a sales disappointment. Jung said the ILX is continuing “growing in momentum.”

“Last month, it was the best-performing sedan in the Acura lineup,” he said. “That was a big milestone for it.”

With 2,108 in sales, the ILX outpaced both the TL sedan (1,918) and TSX (1,768). It should be noted that the TL and TSX are near the end of their lifecycles, and are down on the year. Still, Acura is being bolstered by strong crossover sales, especially from the new RDX compact.

The original report said the ILX was intended to supplant the TSX sedan; Jung said he could not comment on future products. However, Honda spokesman Chris Martin said during a dinner at the Motor Press Guild’s annual Dean Bachelor banquet last night at the Petersen Automotive Museum that, “Honda understands the unique importance that the TSX has had for the Acura lineup and realizes its strength in its segment.”

That’s vague PR speak, sure, but we anticipate Acura isn’t likely to drop out of sight in the segment the TSX inhabits that’s flooded by BMW 3 Series and Mercedes-Benz C-Classes. Look for the brand to continue selling a sportier compact sedan in the middle of the $35,000 segment in the future to complement the ILX’s entry-level approach.

Martin also said that while Honda is in no position to announce pricing for the upcoming NSX supercar, it will likely be higher than the Nissan GT-R’s, which starts at $97,820 in the U.S. for 2013.

“It’s going to be a technological marvel,” says Martin.

The Acura NSX is set to go into production for the 2015 model year in Marysville, Ohio. It will be the first specialty, hand-built sports car Honda has ever built outside of Japan, using a mid-engine layout and complex hybrid powertrain to power all four wheels.

Martin says that with the new Accord, redesigned 2013 Civic, and future products likely to include a production version of the Urban SUV Concept that was teased yesterday and the 2014 Acura MDX prototype teased today, the automaker will be in a good position as it moves forward.

Quick Reply: Acura ILX