Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura ILX

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-13, 11:30 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

not to threadjack but....

I bought a used '10 TSX a couple of months ago....I looked at the ILX but it didn't appeal to me....I kept seeing the Civic in it and prefer the 2.4 with the automatic in the TSX....and yes, with the TECH PKG (NAV).

Love the car, pretty quick for a 4 and gets great MPG....decent handling too. Bought Acura 18's (to be installed) and Eibach springs.

Last edited by bagwell; 01-19-13 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-19-13, 08:51 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I did a full-length review of an ILX last summer. It is NOT just a dressed-up Civic, though I'll admit that there are some shortcomings, such as ride-quality and road-noise. But, though the exterior size is more or less comparable, inside, it is definitely more of an Acura than a Civic. The main problem, though, is that, with the only (slightly) larger and (slightly) more expensive TSX, Acura has essentially two small-to-medium-size sedans that more or less compete against each other. Perhaps the TSX's only real selling, point, now, is the SportWagon model that the ILX series lacks.
I was talking about the size of the ILX/Civic in comparison with the size of the Accord. I believe there is a relatively large difference because of the continuing large size of the Accord.
Old 01-19-13, 10:09 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Sulu
I was talking about the size of the ILX/Civic in comparison with the size of the Accord. I believe there is a relatively large difference because of the continuing large size of the Accord.
The newest Accord is actually smaller slightly than the outgoing model. 191.4in vs 194.9in
Old 01-20-13, 08:44 AM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The newest Accord is actually smaller slightly than the outgoing model. 191.4in vs 194.9in
I know that, and, in fact, that is what I said.

...Although the 2013 Accord is smaller than the previous-generation Accord, it is still a HUGE car...
Old 01-20-13, 09:54 AM
Hoovey689

I know that, and, in fact, that is what I said.
dyslexia at it's finest
Old 03-14-13, 12:45 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by doublehh03
Personally, I don't know why there is an "entry luxury" segment. Look, if you don't have the cash, don't buy a luxury car. If you do, then buy a real one. No need to dance the line of borderline luxury.

Dumb car by Acura.
I drove the IS250 and the CT, along with a Fusion, littl Benz and 328 BMW. Drove the ILX 2.0 with premium and tech package. For my purposes the ILX beat the others. Honda/acura dependability and reliability, front wheel drive with all season Michelin tires. I'm 5'10 and pump a lot of iron so I weigh 230 lbs (kind of wide) the ILX was very comfortable and had one of the nicest interiors of the entire group. The body style is attractive, and the gas mileage is great, better then the others. All the above mentioned cars are about the same size. Performance? The ILX is peppy and cruises at 70 mph all day long. The ILX was also the best deal by several thousand dollars. I've owned an Acura NSX, it's not an NSX but it is an Acura, which is a very high quality car like the Lexus. The Benz and the BMW fall down on the reliability and dependability level. It's great to have so many choices, so you can pick one that fits your wants and needs. By the way, I owned a 2008 CLS63 I would call that a luxury/performance car, but I still think the ILX is a great vehicle and will work well for my needs.
Old 03-14-13, 03:47 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Max707
I'm 5'10 and pump a lot of iron so I weigh 230 lbs (kind of wide)...........

........... I've owned an Acura NSX, it's not an NSX but it is an Acura
OFF TOPIC

I don't care about the ILX, but how in the world do you fit in an NSX???

My friend is about 5'10" and 215, and he couldn't fit (comfortably) in the passenger side, let alone the driver side
Old 03-14-13, 04:40 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by GS3Tek
OFF TOPIC

I don't care about the ILX, but how in the world do you fit in an NSX???

My friend is about 5'10" and 215, and he couldn't fit (comfortably) in the passenger side, let alone the driver side
That was back in 1995. I was around 190 then.
Old 04-18-13, 04:59 PM
Hoovey689

Default Acura built just 91 examples of the ILX last month, here's why

Acura built just 91 examples of the ILX last month, here's why

The short life of the Acura ILX has been vexed by one glaringly odd standard equipment choice, mediocre reviews, getting outsold by its competition as it posted slower-than-projected sales and a pledge by Honda to upgrade its supposedly upgraded offering. Therefore, when Automotive News reports that just 91 of the Civic-based Acura sedans were manufactured last month – after a string of production months in double-digits – it would be easy to press the button for the alarm bells.

But that would be hasty, because it is actually the 2013 Honda Civic that is crimping the production pipeline of the ILX. The vastly higher sales numbers of the Honda meant that all three North American plants that produce it needed to crank up output to satisfy dealer inventory needs, including the Greenburg, Indiana plant that makes both the Civic and the ILX. As the classic guns-vs-butter Economy 101 lesson taught us – in which making more of one necessarily means making less of the other – well, the Civic is the gun.

Honda prepared for this eventuality by cranking out the Acuras while it got ready for Civic production. The ILX has held steady at about 500 units shy of company projections every month, and the current inventory represents about 90 days worth of sales. That makes Greenburg's ostensibly low numbers in line with the realities of the ILX, and the situation probably won't change much as Acura gets ready for the improved 2014 ILX.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/04/18/a...nth-heres-why/
Old 04-18-13, 05:00 PM
Hoovey689

Ready for the show

Old 04-18-13, 06:35 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Supply and Demand.

You can't get more complicated than that...
Old 04-18-13, 06:41 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Supply and Demand.

You can't get more complicated than that...
You have to applaud the consumer here, seems they are not quite that dumb as the internet says they are If anyone has even remotely inspected this car, its really a horrid effort and Buick is cleaning the floor with it with the Verano. It's like they aimed for the 1997 or so Infiniti G20 as the car to beat. Makes complete sense to not build a car that no one is buying if they can make money building Civic's instead which are selling.

And its far worse that 500 units shy a month, the goal was 40k a year which was 3,333 a month. They only hit I think 2k one or two months and never close to the goal.

Another disaster.

Old 04-18-13, 09:00 PM
MX5
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice Civic.
Old 04-18-13, 09:04 PM
MX5
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Buick is cleaning the floor with it with the Verano.
I like the Verano, but they are wayyyy too proud of them for being just a "big block" Cruze. I looked at new ones before buying my used GS and not-that-well-equipped Veranos sticker for friggin 30 Grand! Years from now my GS will still have some value, while a several year old Verano will no doubt have residuals that recall the Skyhawk....
Old 04-18-13, 10:19 PM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MX5
I like the Verano, but they are wayyyy too proud of them for being just a "big block" Cruze. I looked at new ones before buying my used GS and not-that-well-equipped Veranos sticker for friggin 30 Grand! Years from now my GS will still have some value, while a several year old Verano will no doubt have residuals that recall the Skyhawk....
Oh my, a Skyhawk association. LOL

Acura has simply lost its way. Let's hope the new NSX brings some sanity back to that company, like the new Accord did for Honda.

Quick Reply: Acura ILX