Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura ILX

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-13, 11:57 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Agreed that the SH-AWD would be a nice move. Acura doesn't normally sell AWD with four-bangers, though they did made an exception for the previous-generation RDX and its turbo, and, I guess, could also for the ILX.

As far as the Type S goes, one could argue that the American-market Type-S versions, BTW, when they were in production, didn't have the power or handling of today's regular TL. But, of course, the TL's current tyling turns a lot of people off....including me.
No, but it was higher 3.5L V6 286hp vs 3.2L V6 258hp (both 2008 numbers which were pretty on par with the rest of the industry)
Old 04-20-13, 09:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by MX5
Of course I'm not saying they are comparable. What I'm saying is a $20k used GS represents far more value than a $30k new tiny Buick. Agree?
Depends on what you're looking for. The GS, granted, is an excellent mid-sized luxury/sports sedan, but, at 20K, would be just that....a previously-owned car with a fair amount of age and miles on it. Brand-new Veranos, with a warranty that equals that of Lexus (6/70 and 4/50) run anywhere from 23-24K base to about 30K for Turbo models. The Verano may not have the room inside that the GS does, or (in non-turbo form) the same amount of power, but drive one, and you will see what it does offer.

Of course, the Verano is not for everyone....I'm not saying it is.
Old 04-20-13, 09:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MX5
I like the Verano, but they are wayyyy too proud of them for being just a "big block" Cruze.
No. The Verano is not just a larger-block Cruze. I've driven and reviewed both (and own a Verano). The Verano's's interior was taken directly from the German Opel Astra four-door sedan (the dash is virtually identical) and is much different from the Cruze.....although both are well-finished inside. The Verano's chassis is also mostly Astra-based, though it shares some commonality with the Cruze.
Old 04-20-13, 09:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagyo
The civic with fancy pants LoL
Yes and no. The ILX, while somewhat disappointing, is not just a redone Civic. The interior is far better than that of the 2012 Civic it was based on, and the whole car feels somewhat more tightly-assembled. But, like last year's Civic, Acura engineers, IMO, did not do an adequate job of controlling the ILX's road/tire noise. That, IMO, is one thing holding up ILX sales.....along with the fact that the TSX is significantly more car for not a lot more money. The TSX has a nice Sportwagon option the ILX lacks....but the ILX, conversely, offers a hybrid that the TSX lacks.
Old 04-20-13, 01:23 PM
MX5
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do like those TSX wagons.

I had an '06 TL and it was a great car - great quality.

Like I said I like the look of the Verano, liked them a lot more once the Turbo came out. But I think the Turbo should be a mid-$20s car. I was interested in them until I checked them out in person....I have 3 small kids, but they aren't getting any smaller and the Verano's back seat just won't cut it.
Old 04-20-13, 02:21 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by MX5
I do like those TSX wagons.

I had an '06 TL and it was a great car - great quality.

Like I said I like the look of the Verano, liked them a lot more once the Turbo came out. But I think the Turbo should be a mid-$20s car. I was interested in them until I checked them out in person....I have 3 small kids, but they aren't getting any smaller and the Verano's back seat just won't cut it.
Buick is happy for you to step up into a Regal and then a Lacrosse for that reason
Old 04-20-13, 03:30 PM
MX5
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Buick is happy for you to step up into a Regal and then a Lacrosse for that reason
Oh the new Regals are sweet, but same problem with the backseat - seriously, look at them side by side - the Regal doesn't appear to be appreciably larger inside.

And the LaCrosse.....if it was RWD maybe.....
Old 04-20-13, 03:46 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by MX5
Oh the new Regals are sweet, but same problem with the backseat - seriously, look at them side by side - the Regal doesn't appear to be appreciably larger inside.

And that's what the new CTS is for!! Hah. Buick for FWD premium choices and Cadillac for RWD luxury choices. GM is covering both bases lol.

Actually that's part of most automakers schemes. Offer entry level then try to retain customers throughout their lives. Here's a nice example

A High school student with his beater 318i passed on through his family takes it to college and graduates. Get's a good job and wants to get something nice. He buys a 3 Series. It's great, sporty, has nice luxury amenities and suits his needs all through his mid 20's to early 30's. He gets married and starts a family. The 3 Series is now too small so he logically goes with a 5 Series. It's bigger and suits his family better as well as his image as a business man. Years go by, there are two more kids and now an X5 in the driveway for his wife. He's in his mid to late 40's now and suddenly a mid life crisis hits. He's stressed at work which is going through a reorg, he needs to save for the kid's college funds, and his wife pulled a Jane Jetson and took his wallet to the mall rather than the couple hundred he was going to hand her. Enter Z4. A fun sporty roadster that makes him feel young and gets him noticed. A few years down the road, he's starting to send the kids to college and he's recently been taking Centrum Silver for his aching body. Suddenly that fun sporty ride is really jarring. His wife won't even ride in that "damn red speed thing". So he goes to the dealership and finds a nice 7-Series which is comfortable and luxurious and just what he needs in his golden years!
Old 04-20-13, 09:58 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,413 Likes on 1,582 Posts

^^ nice 'story' Hoovey, but with full time jobs dwindling replaced by more part time (thanks Obamacare), healthcare costs (particularly for young people) about to skyrocket, student loans, gas and other insurance prices and endless taxes, many people starting out will have a hard time getting from the beater to anything nicer.
Old 04-21-13, 03:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by MX5

Well, the Regals certainly aren't RWD.....although you might not miss it on the GS model. And, if you don't like the Lacrosse's FWD, it has an AWD option, though AWD versions can be pricey. And, IMO, the LaCrosse is not built as well as the Verano and Regal.
Old 04-21-13, 03:24 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

According to Consumer Reports Owners Surveys the LaCrosse, Regal and Verano have had reliablity issues and currenly aren't "recommended" by them.

My guess is that GM will address any issues and this will improve before too long.
Old 04-21-13, 03:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
with full time jobs dwindling replaced by more part time (thanks Obamacare), healthcare costs (particularly for young people) about to skyrocket, student loans, gas and other insurance prices and endless taxes, many people starting out will have a hard time getting from the beater to anything nicer.
True. And it makes you wonder if that had anything to do with the ILX's marketing.....and possibly the Verano's. Entry-level upmarket compacts like that obviously make it easy for lower-income people to get that premium-nameplate for not a lot of cash. It seems to have worked with the Verano. But it didn't work, though, for the Infiniti G20 (Infiniti introduced it twice, and dropped it twice), and certainly doesn't seem to be working with the ILX either. I have my reasons why I think the ILX is not selling, but I've already covered that in other posts.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-21-13 at 03:29 PM.
Old 04-21-13, 05:08 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No. The Verano is not just a larger-block Cruze. I've driven and reviewed both (and own a Verano). The Verano's's interior was taken directly from the German Opel Astra four-door sedan (the dash is virtually identical) and is much different from the Cruze.....although both are well-finished inside. The Verano's chassis is also mostly Astra-based, though it shares some commonality with the Cruze.
So its a gussied up Astra. We can't call out the ILX for being barely Civic plus and not do the same for the Verano sharing its Cruze chassis. Both based on 15k cars.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
^^ nice 'story' Hoovey, but with full time jobs dwindling replaced by more part time (thanks Obamacare), .
"as if on cue". lol, hilarious.....

Old 04-21-13, 06:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blueprint
So its a gussied up Astra.
As my post said, it does have an strongly-Astra interior and a modified Astra chassis. But it's also more than that....especially with the smooth 6-speed Buick powertrain and Quiet-Tuning. I know you are capable of good car reviews.....so go look at the car and drive it yourself. Only problem is that it might be a little cramped for a guy your size....I myself (at 6' 2" and my baseball cap) just barely fit in it, but it's clearly no Suburban.

BTW.....Top Gear has a very high opinion of the Astra, and (correct me if I'm wrong).....you seem to be one of Clarkson's fans.

We can't call out the ILX for being barely Civic plus and not do the same for the Verano sharing its Cruze chassis.
"We" is not a factor here. I come up with my own opinions. And it not just opinion, but a fact, that, on most road surfaces, by actual decibel/sone measurement, the Verano is quiet and the ILX is not. That's not me...that is simply the way the two cars are designed. But that doesn't mean the ILX is a bad car....far from it. And it is likely to be more reliable, in the long run, than the Verano.

Both based on 15k cars.
Again, my advice is to go see and drive them for yourself. Then, as with most of the auto-press reviews of these cars, you will see how, even with the ILX's road-noise, there are not just redone 15K Econoboxes.

Last edited by mmarshall; 04-21-13 at 07:14 PM.
Old 04-22-13, 12:23 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

still dont understand how a buyer would want one of these unless they were die hard Honda people. Not feeling it in any way shape or form

Quick Reply: Acura ILX