Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Acura ILX

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-13, 10:06 AM
LexusNN
Lexus Champion

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

The new Hondas look great and are great for the price. Acura is struggling
Old 04-22-13, 10:30 AM
mrraider
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
So its a gussied up Astra. We can't call out the ILX for being barely Civic plus and not do the same for the Verano sharing its Cruze chassis. Both based on 15k cars.
Gm did a much better job at gussying up their econobox than honda did. The level of equipment and refinement in verano blows the ILX away. You actually feel like the premium over the Cruze is justified. The 2.0T version is just a stellar car, and, IMHO a legitimate alternative to underpowered base level lux models (c250, IS250, etc...).

You have to understand that Acura sold CSX in canada for years, and the 1.7/1.6 EL before that, as tarted up Civics for a modest price premium. At that level, they were justified, and teh CSX was relatively popular in Canada. The new ILX however pushes the price limit of what people are willing to swallow. Also, teh compact segment has progresses so much recently, that a fully equipped focus or Elantra makes a very compelling alternative to an ILX.
Old 04-23-13, 08:43 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,525 Likes on 1,661 Posts

it's as if somehow acura still thinks this is 20 years ago. the ilx is just weak in looks, features, performance, and value.
Old 04-23-13, 08:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
it's as if somehow acura still thinks this is 20 years ago.
20 years ago, of course, a lot of young guys with their caps on backwards were running around in slammed Acura Integras. Those guys (besides being 20 years older now) obviously don't seem to be showing the same attraction to the ILX....perhaps because it is not available in the two-door hatch style they generally liked.
Old 05-13-13, 08:40 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 128 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Acura ILX

2014 Acura ILX gets upgrades after just one year

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2014-...photo-5875580/

Like many others, we were openly disappointed with Honda after driving its lackluster 2012 Civic, a model so ill-conceived that the Japanese automaker was forced to put together a far-reaching facelift after just one year on the market. We found the resulting 2013 Civic to be much improved, putting the sedan back into the thick of the economy-car hunt.

The 2013 model year not only brought with it an upgraded Civic, it also marked the first model year of the Civic's upscale twin, the Acura ILX. Despite having the same model year and the same general underpinnings as the Honda, the ILX went on sale ahead of the freshened Civic and didn't receive all of the upgrades to its suspension, structure or NVH tuning (Noise, Vibration and Harshness) that graced its more plebeian cousin. While the ILX was a somewhat quieter and more refined car to begin with, the Civic's 2013 changes meant that it crept uncomfortably close to its Acura-badged brother in terms of refinement and standard equipment. For 2014, however, Acura is taking steps to remedy the inequity.

The 2014 ILX features a reworked interior with new leather seating surfaces and retrimmed door cards, along with heated front seats (the driver's side now featuring eight-way power), along with an enhanced audio system featuring a new subwoofer and active noise cancellation technology (found elsewhere on Honda's Odyssey minivan). A new multi-angle rearview camera and 17-inch alloys round out the 2014 model changes.

Unfortunately, no mention has been made of any changes to the car's unseen bits. While we don't mind that there hasn't been much in the way of an aesthetic rework, the Civic received reworked suspension tuning, additional sound deadening, and even structural enhancements for improved safety. We're inquiring to see if any such changes have been effected to the 2014 ILX, but for now it looks like the model year changes include mostly interior furnishings. As before, the ILX will be available with either a 2.0-liter, 150-horsepower four-cylinder or a 2.4-liter four-cylinder offering 201 horsepower (the latter recently lost an Autoblog comparison test to the Buick Verano Turbo). Details on the 2014 ILX Hybrid model have not yet been released.

For all of its upgrades, the 2013 Civic only suffered a $160 increase to its base price. The Indiana-assembled 2014 ILX, by contrast, is $1,000 dearer, starting at $26,900 (plus $895 in destination fees) for the five-speed auto model. All-in, the 2013 ILX has sold just 7,503 units through April so far this year.

2014 ACURA ILX LUXURY SPORTS SEDAN ARRIVES WITH HOST OF NEW STANDARD FEATURES, PROVIDING MORE CONTENT AND VALUE

05/13/2013 - TORRANCE, Calif
The 2014 Acura ILX luxury sports sedan goes on sale tomorrow with a host of new standard features, further strengthening the gateway vehicle to the Acura brand. Introduced as an all-new model for the 2013 model year, the 2014 Acura ILX offers increased value on a luxury scale with eight new standard features to enhance its curb appeal, interior comfort and overall driving enjoyment.

The ILX is the only luxury model on the top ten list of Generation Y car shoppers according to J.D. Power and Associates, and the 2014 ILX gets upgraded 17-inch alloy wheels, while the interior receives new leather seating surfaces and leatherette door liners, an eight-way power driver's seat, heated front seats and a Multi-Angle Rearview Camera. The ride experience is further enhanced by a new audio-system subwoofer and an Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) system that are standard features on the 2014 ILX, which starts at a manufacturer's suggested retail price* (MSRP) of $26,900, an increase of just $1,000.

Two advanced powertrain choices are available for 2014 ILX, with a standard 2.0-liter inline 4-cylinder engine that produces 150 horsepower. Paired with a Sequential SportShift 5-speed automatic transmission, it has an EPA ** city/highway/combined fuel economy rating of 24/35/28 mpg. For a more dynamic driving experience, the ILX can be equipped with a close-ratio, six-speed manual transmission matched to a 2.4-liter engine generating 201 horsepower, and earning an EPA ** city/highway/combined fuel economy rating of 22/31/25 mpg. Information on the 2014 Acura ILX Hybrid will be announced at a later date.

The ILX uses 59 percent high strength steel (HSS) in its body structure for enhanced protection and chassis rigidity. The chassis utilizes an advanced, fully independent MacPherson strut front and multi-link rear suspension system and Acura signature Amplitude Reactive Dampers, which offer superior ride comfort and precise handling. In addition, Motion Adaptive Electric Power Steering (EPS) is used for excellent steering feel and improved fuel efficiency.

The high-quality, well-appointed interior is smart, spacious and sporty. It offers a number of convenient features including a standard Keyless Access System with smart entry and pushbutton start, along with Pandora® interface and SMS text message function for easy connectivity. As before, a Premium Package and Technology Package are both available.

Acura's belief in "Safety Through Innovation" is the foundation for the brand's commitment to leadership in safety, and accordingly the ILX has a wide range of standard active and passive safety features, including Advanced Compatibility Engineering™ (ACE™) body structure. It received a 2013 TOP SAFETY PICK rating from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS), attaining a score of GOOD in all four Institute tests, including the rigorous roof-strength test.

The Acura ILX is manufactured exclusively at the company's state-of-the-art Greensburg, Indiana plant using U.S. and globally sourced parts.

TRIM MSRP* EPA** MPG (city/highway/combined)
2014 ILX 5-Speed Automatic $26,900 24/35/28
2014 ILX 5-Speed Automatic w/ Premium Package $29,200 24/35/28
2014 ILX 5-Speed Automatic w/Technology Package $31,600 24/35/28
2014 ILX 6-Speed Manual with Premium Package $29,200 22/31/25
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/05/13/2...just-one-year/
Old 05-13-13, 09:24 PM
LexFather

Is this a joke to top a joke? Its like they aimed for the 1997 Infiniti G20.

Old 05-13-13, 09:37 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 128 Likes on 85 Posts

I still don't see the navigation/tech pkg option on the top spec big engine 2.4L..
Old 05-13-13, 09:59 PM
RXSF
Forum Moderator

Received 74 Likes on 45 Posts

I cant spot the differences from the pics
Old 05-13-13, 10:17 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 171 Likes on 102 Posts

I still don't know of another corporation or company that can continually make large-scale mistakes and still survive. We are going on almost ten years of failures, blunders, and falters from Acura/Honda.
I've said it before and I'll say it again... if I created such problems for my company, I would have been fired long ago.
Old 05-13-13, 10:20 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RXSF
I cant spot the differences from the pics
I believe pics are of the 2013 model. The claim is new rims for 2014, which are also not shown in the photo.
Old 05-13-13, 10:46 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I still don't know of another corporation or company that can continually make large-scale mistakes and still survive. We are going on almost ten years of failures, blunders, and falters from Acura/Honda.
I've said it before and I'll say it again... if I created such problems for my company, I would have been fired long ago.
It's their reliability and build quality that keeps them thriving. I have owned several Acuras and they simply work. Never had a major problem with any of them. I'm sure many others have had the same experience.

Now having said that, they have dropped the ball on both the ILX & RLX and it is painfully obvious. IMO, they need to be as proactive with the RLX in making quick changes as they were with the Civic & ILX. Will it help sales? probably not by much. First impressions are everything. The smartest thing they can do at this point is NOT drop the TSX. It will be a huge mistake if they do.
Old 05-13-13, 11:00 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Forum Moderator

Received 817 Likes on 571 Posts

The MDX and TSX have kept things afloat for the past decade
Old 05-13-13, 11:02 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
It's their reliability and build quality that keeps them thriving. I have owned several Acuras and they simply work. Never had a major problem with any of them. I'm sure many others have had the same experience.

Now having said that, they have dropped the ball on both the ILX & RLX and it is painfully obvious. IMO, they need to be as proactive with the RLX in making quick changes as they were with the Civic & ILX. Will it help sales? probably not by much. First impressions are everything. The smartest thing they can do at this point is NOT drop the TSX. It will be a huge mistake if they do.
I agree with most of that. However, Honda and Acura cannot rely on build quality and reliability like they once did. Times have changed and most of the competition is just as reliable or close to.
Old 05-13-13, 11:07 PM
mordecai
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At least they're changing things, admitting their own faults, and improving their products. As seen in the Civic, they can bend their knees to acknowledge a broken product. It would've been much easier to just wait a couple of years for a mid-cycle refresh, but here is Acura improving their products after one year.

With that SAID! How were they so blind to the market that they would release the Civic and ILX as such mediocre cars? That's one thing I totally don't get. And we can arguably add RLX to that list. But at least some of their products like the Accord, CR-V, and RDX can be very good products, even segment-leading in some cases. I just don't understand why their products can be so all over the place.
Old 05-13-13, 11:50 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
I agree with most of that. However, Honda and Acura cannot rely on build quality and reliability like they once did. Times have changed and most of the competition is just as reliable or close to.
Agreed, but Acura still has the perception of being more reliable than most other brands. It has built its reputation over the past 25 years and in many ways they offer exactly what customers want (especially with their bread and butter products). I myself am not passionate about them, but they are excellent as daily drivers. I still miss my 2005 TL

Originally Posted by mordecai
At least they're changing things, admitting their own faults, and improving their products. As seen in the Civic, they can bend their knees to acknowledge a broken product. It would've been much easier to just wait a couple of years for a mid-cycle refresh, but here is Acura improving their products after one year.

With that SAID! How were they so blind to the market that they would release the Civic and ILX as such mediocre cars? That's one thing I totally don't get. And we can arguably add RLX to that list. But at least some of their products like the Accord, CR-V, and RDX can be very good products, even segment-leading in some cases. I just don't understand why their products can be so all over the place.
Acura has 4 products that are stellar and sell well - the MDX, RDX, TL, & TSX. Then they have the 3 products that are not stellar and do not sell as well - the ZDX, RLX, & ILX. So it's a mixed bag. I'm glad to hear they axed the ZDX and after this year it will be gone. The RLX can be fixed by lowering the price and making it AWD standard and offering it loaded. If they want to offer a hybrid option as well, fine, but pricing it at 70k or even 60k is ludicrous for them. The ILX is selling ok, but they need to lower sales expectations and offer a more powerful engine choice. However, it cannot and will not replace the TSX no matter what options they offer. They need to realize this fast or their overall sales are going to drop. Mark my words. Most of those potential TSX buyers are not going to move up to a TL or down to an ILX, they will simply move on to another brand.

Quick Reply: Acura ILX