Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Mercedes Benz S-class

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-13 | 05:10 PM
RXSF

Great new commercials. I have always loved "The best of Nothing" tagline. I hope they keep it for a while

Hmm, in the first commercial ... "The best or nothing ... and the company he founded has followed them ever since"

Must be an asterisk somewhere, *except during our Daimler Chrysler days between 1994-2004

Last edited by RXSF; 10-16-13 at 07:59 AM.
Old 10-15-13 | 09:43 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

MB is the most pretentious car company on earth. Their image just turns me off.
Old 10-15-13 | 10:53 PM
Hoovey689

I love the heritage in that first ad
Old 10-16-13 | 10:24 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Thats a great tagline, I love it. It really solidifies their market positioning. Just compare that to the crap Acura keeps dribbling about. Can you tell why one company is doing well while the other is a flop?
Old 10-17-13 | 10:03 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by jwong77
Thats a great tagline, I love it. It really solidifies their market positioning. Just compare that to the crap Acura keeps dribbling about. Can you tell why one company is doing well while the other is a flop?
Although I agree to some point, I do like some examples of Acura's such as the 2008 TL, or the TSX like the one in your sig
Old 10-17-13 | 10:32 AM
jwong77
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Although I agree to some point, I do like some examples of Acura's such as the 2008 TL, or the TSX like the one in your sig
Thanks, sorry, didn't mean to say the cars themselves were crap, but their marketing is crap. Where does the tagline Advanced or Built for Humans position them in the Luxury Car game? Its very unclear, vs, "The Best or Nothing", or "Ultimate Driving Machine", or "Relentless Pursuit of Excellence". See what I mean?
Old 10-17-13 | 11:09 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by jwong77
Thanks, sorry, didn't mean to say the cars themselves were crap, but their marketing is crap. Where does the tagline Advanced or Built for Humans position them in the Luxury Car game? Its very unclear, vs, "The Best or Nothing", or "Ultimate Driving Machine", or "Relentless Pursuit of Excellence". See what I mean?
Got it. Agreed, no tie to Luxury Cars. I'm not a big fan of Lincoln's "Smarter than Luxury". Smarter seems more tech laden than actual Luxury car
Old 10-17-13 | 11:24 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Got it. Agreed, no tie to Luxury Cars. I'm not a big fan of Lincoln's "Smarter than Luxury". Smarter seems more tech laden than actual Luxury car
man so luxury is not smart? j/k

i agree with the two of you, acura definitely isn't getting the marketing right. in this particular case, mb is putting a big punch with a very simple statement (truth or not is another story), it grabs attention
Old 10-22-13 | 06:55 PM
LexFather

I just came back from a S-class launch event at Mercedes Benz of Coral Springs and my boss picked up his new 2014 S-class with the rare executive seat package. Full driving impressions will be shared soon. The staff was utterly amazing and friendly and they had quite a few AMG cars to view as well. Ask for Ariel!!

We spent maybe an hour playing with the S-class and we probably could have spent a month with all the options inside. It is utterly mind blowing and pretty simple to use, Command is pretty awesome to me.

The interior is simply one of the best at any price, utterly stunning and mind blowing. The quality of the materials is first rate and everything seemed built to the highest level. Even the 2 spoke steering wheel worked to the eyes in person.

The sunroof is immense, the front and rear seat room is immense and the features are immense. I didn't even come away feeling this was better than the 7/LS/A8 I felt it was on par with a Rolls and Bentley. Thats how good it was.

I think I counted 4 remote controls The cupholders actually cool as does the fridge, not fan cool but ice cool The Ipad looking rear screens and dual dash works, it doesn't look or seem awkward at all as in pics. The circular vents also are pleasing to the eye. Everything has a quality feel and the wood is fantastic.

One negative of the rear fridge is it takes a lot of rear trunk space. Without it, the trunk is huge and offers some sliding tray that actually also pulls down to become a bag to store stuff.

We rode in it briefly and it was like a cloud.

Blown away.
Old 10-22-13 | 07:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

^^^ nice write-up and niiiice experience.

it seems with the wind down of maybach, which gave them a lot of insight no doubt, mb just stepped up the the higher level s-class models/options to fill that space.

i hope it all works reliably, and if so, i've said before i think the s-class is probably the finest sedan in the world.
Old 10-22-13 | 10:04 PM
dmvp29
Lead Lap

Yep, that marketing definitely worked one me. I literally got goosebumps watching the first video (mostly due to the music).
Old 10-22-13 | 10:05 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

The luxury game has been upped by the new S Class, can't wait to see what Lexus' response is. Wow.
Old 10-23-13 | 12:28 AM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by G Star
The luxury game has been upped by the new S Class, can't wait to see what Lexus' response is. Wow.
LS needs to be big, bold and sublime. Lots of potential with all these new flagships already out or redesigned
Old 10-23-13 | 11:58 AM
Hoovey689

Default Daimler to bring back Maybach name on flagship S-Class?

Daimler to bring back Maybach name on flagship S-Class?

Daimler's (relatively) brief ten-year romance with the Maybach brand may have drawn to a close, but that doesn't mean the name is lost once again to the annals of history. According to the latest reports coming from Germany, Mercedes-Benz may opt to keep the Maybach name alive on the top-tier version of the S-Class that's moving upmarket to take the place of the departed Maybach 57 and 62.

The flagship S-Class, previously thought to be called the Pullman, is expected to stretch the platform as far as it can go. Whether it's called Maybach or Pullman, it promises to pack as much luxury (if not quite as much clout) as a Rolls-Royce or Bentley, only less Anglo and more Saxon than the routes which its rivals BMW and Volkswagen opted to go in the acquisition and development of their uber-luxury marques.

Just how true these rumors prove to be remains to be seen. It could be all conjecture for what we know at this point. But it certainly doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility. After all, the Maybach marque was always more of a sub-brand of Mercedes than it was its own brand, and its cars were always seen for what they were: luxed-up S-Classes, which is what we're talking about here. And even though Maybach only sold 3,000 cars over its decade of production, Daimler surely spent a huge chunk of change building up the brand, and it would be understandably reluctant to just write it off entirely.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/10/23/d...cedes-s-class/
Old 10-23-13 | 02:16 PM
RXSF

I doubt they will. Why would anyone buy a longer S class, which looks like an S class and drives like an S class, but pay more for the maybach name? That will only reinforce the initial problem with the maybach brand...that it was basically a rebadged S class. lol