Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Mercedes Benz S-class

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-13, 07:19 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
I can see where someone wouldn't like the ambient lighting but that's why they provide the option to change the color, intensity, or shut it off completely.
Yes, I can't argue with that. The amount of options is definitely impressive.
Old 10-24-13, 07:25 PM
Jay954
Rookie

More coming in few weeks back
Old 10-24-13, 10:12 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by yardie876
I can see where someone wouldn't like the ambient lighting but that's why they provide the option to change the color, intensity, or shut it off completely.
Some shots I have seen make the interior look more like a vodka bar than a luxury car interior. Whatever floats your boat I guess. The cool thing is to at least have the option
Old 10-25-13, 12:12 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

I'm smitten
Old 10-25-13, 06:50 AM
amphipri0n
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As expected, the front end is uber conservative and traditional, overall boring. They softened the angles on the corners of the classic MB grill but bulked it up enough in size to now closely resemble Dodge with its oversized surround. The rear end however is much more interesting and simultaneously clean looking than the one it replaces-- elegant.

Would have been more interesting to see them use more of the design vocabulary implemented in the redesigned E class, while keeping the CLS inspired rear. When I see these roll down the street the only thing that is striking is its size and obviously the brand and price tag cachet for some.
Old 10-25-13, 07:28 AM
LexFather

There is no doubt the exterior breaks no new ground and shares quite a bit with other models but it is safe and surely not ugly at all. If anyone remembers the W221 it really got people talking with those aggressive headlights, the Bangle butt and of course those SUVish arches. I don't think the W222 exterior will get people talking but the interior is simply on another level.

I agree with a review on MBWorld I saw where the guy said the interior is a mix of old and new yet somehow it works brilliantly. I feel the same way. The S550 will easily average 100-100k and the interior makes it seem like a bargain. MInd you the boosted 4.6 can easily be tuned for more power if you want it.

The day after I drove a current model F01 7-series and it didn't even same like they were in the same class. True its an older car but the S-class really did a leap with technology and the interior.

Brabus has some parts for it and Renntech is hard at work as well. It is pretty obvious to me why the S-class is considered the standard of its segment and one of the standards of the automobile with the W222.

Old 10-25-13, 07:56 AM
amphipri0n
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Blueprint
There is no doubt the exterior breaks no new ground and shares quite a bit with other models but it is safe and surely not ugly at all. If anyone remembers the W221 it really got people talking with those aggressive headlights, the Bangle butt and of course those SUVish arches. I don't think the W222 exterior will get people talking but the interior is simply on another level.
With other manufacturers offering equivalents of interior and technology options that used to only be available in the luxury brands (thanks to third party auto suppliers that no longer have restrictions or ties to who they sell) The interior refinements and options they've made available really does appear to once again place their flagship on a totally different level. Rest assured BMW will answer in the technology department but it would really be interesting to see what Lexus does with the upcoming overhaul of the LS as far as interior appointments are concerned.

BTW- I actually liked the W221 lamps (that is, until Hyundai started mimicking them) and the bangle-butt generation of Merc/BMW designs =)

Last edited by amphipri0n; 10-25-13 at 08:00 AM.
Old 10-25-13, 05:25 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by amphipri0n
As expected, the front end is uber conservative and traditional, overall boring. They softened the angles on the corners of the classic MB grill but bulked it up enough in size to now closely resemble Dodge with its oversized surround. The rear end however is much more interesting and simultaneously clean looking than the one it replaces-- elegant.

Would have been more interesting to see them use more of the design vocabulary implemented in the redesigned E class, while keeping the CLS inspired rear. When I see these roll down the street the only thing that is striking is its size and obviously the brand and price tag cachet for some.
I am SO glad that they didn't go with the new E-Class style. The new E-Class simply looks goofy with all the curves and bloated shapes on it, not to mention the spineless-looking headlights that just look like a blob. Many of the new Benz models lack the visual punch and visual definition that screams German. They're making the same mistake as they did with their late 1990s/early 2000s styling, when many Benz models could be easily confused with Korean or Japanese cars.

This S Class, while to you it may seem to have "traditional" styling, to me it screams German.
Old 10-26-13, 09:04 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by amphipri0n
With other manufacturers offering equivalents of interior and technology options that used to only be available in the luxury brands (thanks to third party auto suppliers that no longer have restrictions or ties to who they sell) The interior refinements and options they've made available really does appear to once again place their flagship on a totally different level. Rest assured BMW will answer in the technology department but it would really be interesting to see what Lexus does with the upcoming overhaul of the LS as far as interior appointments are concerned.

BTW- I actually liked the W221 lamps (that is, until Hyundai started mimicking them) and the bangle-butt generation of Merc/BMW designs =)

Yup. Just saw 2 driving around already.

Old 10-27-13, 08:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Really liking the new S Class. I've got an MB dealer down the street from my office...looks like it might be time for a team "motivation outing" LOL.

Last edited by SW17LS; 10-27-13 at 08:53 PM.
Old 10-27-13, 09:16 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Also surprisingly is how well they're packaged.

No doubt it's a very large car, but I'm always surprised by how "tidy" it is when I see it on the road.
Old 10-27-13, 10:50 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
lol wut? The last one defined what a flagship should be and the new one clearly uses cues from the CLS/CLA and it works well.

At first I didn't like it with the large arches but over time it didn't seem to age a bit from an exterior standpoint. But what do I know.

Everything about it was forced, tacky, and inelegant. Like a big Chrysler. It aged very fast in my eyes and a low point in S-class design. The car below is a far more sophisticated-ly executed design/body.

The softer more reflective body style has been a Lexus staple ever since L-finnese was introduced and used a bit by MB in early 2000s cars. Fun to see MB finally re-adopting it after the disastrous last 6-7 years of flat tacky MB bodywork.

Last edited by Mr. Burns; 10-27-13 at 11:03 PM.
Old 10-28-13, 06:37 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,772 Likes on 1,979 Posts

I don't think the previous gen S Class is tacky or overdone. It's different, which is an unusual thing to see in this segment, but different isn't bad. Big rounded curves may be in Lexus design language, but it was not during that era for Mercedes.

I think it's aged quite well, and in fact I prefer the pre-refreshed version of that body style, especially at the rear.

I mean, I prefer the new one but the previous car was a great seller.
Old 10-28-13, 08:03 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,510 Likes on 1,650 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
I am SO glad that they didn't go with the new E-Class style. The new E-Class simply looks goofy with all the curves and bloated shapes on it, not to mention the spineless-looking headlights that just look like a blob.
hadn't really paid much attention to the refreshed e-class, but i have to agree, the front end treatment is horrible.
Attached Thumbnails 2014 Mercedes Benz S-class-eclass.jpg  
Old 10-28-13, 08:05 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,510 Likes on 1,650 Posts

i really don't care for how they put that giant screen next to the instrument screen in a giant rectangular area, partly because of the 'drop off' on the right end of it, makes it look like someone pulled up the dash and stuffed a palette under there.

Quick Reply: 2014 Mercedes Benz S-class