Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Mercedes Benz S-class

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-13, 07:40 AM
LexFather

S63 teaser....

Old 07-16-13, 07:51 AM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
Why? The strut is only $2k each and they last 50k miles, totally reasonable

Then there are pump, lines...........$15k every 50k miles is not bad, no?
Sheesh!

Originally Posted by Blueprint
The ambient lighting is amazing inside.
Just glorious....

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
The next-gen LS has a good chance at being a more impressive car. We'll see soon.
More impressive? I doubt it. I would settle for 'equally impressive', with a discounted price.

And no matter what, the engine choices and overall performance for the new LS will not rival the S-Class' impressive list. The LS will likely get only 2 engine choices....a really stout hybrid, and a much-needed updated V8.

Still not a big fan of the interior design, but materials quality is top notch. Technology on it is top notch, although I hate that gauge cluster design. The exterior is also one of the nicest among the ugly new Mercedes exteriors.
Interior looks nifty to me, but I agree...the gauge cluster is a little awkward to me too.

And the new S class exterior is better than most late-model Mercedes.
Old 07-16-13, 10:05 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i don't think we know if it has a 'good chance' or not, but i sure hope so!

lexus needs its flagship to really give us a wow again!
Is hard to say, the 3LS smoked the W220, 4LS is about the same as the W221. 5LS vs. W222 will be a good fight, anything goes, we won't know until they all come out, they both have a chance to win.
Old 07-16-13, 10:24 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Is hard to say, the 3LS smoked the W220, 4LS is about the same as the W221. 5LS vs. W222 will be a good fight, anything goes, we won't know until they all come out, they both have a chance to win.
lol i almost want to say anything would beat the w220

Why? The strut is only $2k each and they last 50k miles, totally reasonable

Then there are pump, lines...........$15k every 50k miles is not bad, no?
hahaha yeah the struts i am ok, the pump and lines.... thanks for reminding
Old 07-16-13, 10:42 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
lol i almost want to say anything would beat the w220
Not anything, I think the W220 is a nicer car then the Hyundai Excel or Geo Metro or Saturn SL1

Originally Posted by rominl
hahaha yeah the struts i am ok, the pump and lines.... thanks for reminding
It is hard to spend $15k to replace the suspension on a 100k miles AMG that only worth $15k
Old 07-16-13, 10:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

It is hard to spend $15k to replace the suspension on a 100k miles AMG that only worth $15k
That shows you how outrageously priced a lot of M-B parts and service are. It has been one of the company's chief customer-complaints for years.....though those who can afford an AMG in the first place are obviously well-heeled.
Old 07-16-13, 12:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
That shows you how outrageously priced a lot of M-B parts and service are. It has been one of the company's chief customer-complaints for years.....though those who can afford an AMG in the first place are obviously well-heeled.
the ones who complain are the 2nd or 3rd owners (like me). 1st hand original mb owners, most of them pay for the 50+ percent depreciation the first few years and just move on to the next new one without feeling anything
Old 07-16-13, 12:08 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well those ABC hydraulics suspension parts are not overpriced, they are just very expensive components that does a very effective job.
Old 07-19-13, 09:31 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Spy Shots: Mercedes S600 Pullman

Mercedes S600 Pullman spied, could get three-row seating

Gallery:
http://www.autoblog.com/photos/merce...photo-6041769/

With the death of its Maybach brand, Daimler will be filling its ultra-luxury sedan portfolio with a version of the redesigned Mercedes-Benz S-Class called the S600 Pullman. While it's not totally clear if the car shown here is the new Pullman, we can easily see from these spy shots that this is not your run-of-the-mill stretch job.

Comparing this car to our firsthand shots of the 2014 S-Class, the extended wheelbase is instantly obvious, but looking closer, we also see that the rear doors, quarter panel and C-pillars are also unique to this vehicle. Oddly, those bits are also far different from the most recent stretched S-Class spy shots we've seen (although they could have just been an early engineering mule for this car). Whatever model is shown in these spy shots might not even be the king of the S-Class range, though, as there is also word of a three-row, six-passenger Pullman model in the works.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/07/19/m...e-row-seating/
Old 07-29-13, 05:25 PM
Hoovey689

Default Mercedes S-Class stretch variant to command $200,000+

Mercedes S-Class stretch variant to command $200,000+

We recently spotted a stretched version of the 2014 Mercedes-Benz S-Class, but it sounds like this new ultra-luxurious version of the sedan might not be quite as much of a Maybach-replacing model that we initially expected. Automotive News says that the car has somewhat more modest targets, with the so-called "super S-Class" expected to list in the $200,000 to $250,000 range when it goes on sale in 2014. That's hardly chump change, but it's about $175,000 less than the now-dead Maybach 57.

After speaking with Daimler CEO Dieter Zetsche, AN's article says that this new S-Class model will be targeted at the Bentley Flying Spur and Rolls-Royce Ghost rather than more expensive models like the Mulsanne and Phantom, which makes sense since the Maybach brand was killed off due to slow sales. Of course, there is still the possibility that the three-row S600 Pullman could reach a little higher to fill in the void of those $400,000 sedans. Aside from the stretched body, Zetsche also promises cabin tech and luxury not offered on the standard S-Class, which is hard to imagine since the new S-Class has gobs of both already. During our recent first drive of the standard S-Class, we said that its interior is "going to give Bentley and Rolls-Royce night sweats," so it sounds like Daimler will be aiming for breathing difficulties and heart palpitations with this new model.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/07/29/m...o-cost-200000/
Old 07-29-13, 05:42 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Brilliant car...this new S class.

I can't wait for Maybach to be revived. Maybe a Chinese auto group will purchase it.
Old 07-29-13, 08:27 PM
splitfire
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw 3 new s class driving around few weeks ago, 2 on the street.. They do look pretty good in person. Last one i saw was on the freeway from the back it look like current cl class and as soon as i catch up it is 4 door and i can see the led from the rearview mirror. Was going to take some pics but had to exit to take another route.
Old 07-29-13, 08:48 PM
RXSF

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

If I should ever be so lucky....
Old 08-05-13, 03:46 PM
azinn
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Just more German Junk!
Old 08-20-13, 07:57 PM
Hoovey689

Default Mercedes tests upcoming S65 AMG at the Ring

Mercedes tests upcoming S65 AMG at the Ring

A two-and-a-half-ton luxury sedan wouldn't exactly be our first choice for a romp around the Nürburgring. But then Mercedes-AMG has a way of exceeding expectations. To get the new S-Class to run to sixty in 3.9 seconds, Benz's performance studio fitted the S63 with a 5.5-liter twin-turbo V8 that sends 577 horsepower and 664 pound-feet of torque to all four wheels. But the boys in Affalterbach aren't done just yet. Before the fat lady that is the S-Class sings its swan song, AMG will follow up with the yet more powerful S65.

Expected to debut towards the end of the year in LA, the new S65 AMG is expected to pack even more muscle than the outgoing model's already-astonishing 621 horsepower and 738 lb-ft of torque, channeled from its 6.0-liter twin-turbo V12 to all four wheels instead of its predecessor's two. Considering that the S63 dropped half a second off its 0-60 time from one generation to the next, we could be looking at a run as quick as 3.6 seconds for the new S65.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/08/20/m...urgring-video/

Quick Reply: 2014 Mercedes Benz S-class