Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

First Drive: 2014 Kia Cadenza

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-13, 12:32 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Loaded up, just like I said, is pushing $40k. YOu still have options to check when you get to SX Limited, a trim that didn't exist when the Optima launched. You also have to load up the Cadenza with every option in order for it to get to $42k.

I expect the incentives to be right in line with what you see on other cars in its class. That is, if Kia does a better job of marketing this than Hyundai did with the Azera.
The SX Limited is as high as you can go in the Optima. The only way to get the price higher than $34,500 is to add every single factory accessory and even then, it would only add $465 to the bottom line. $34,965 would be it, no higher. That would be MSRP and nobody pays MSRP. I don't think many consumers would define $34,965 as "pushing $40k".
Old 05-24-13, 12:46 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
The SX Limited is as high as you can go in the Optima. The only way to get the price higher than $34,500 is to add every single factory accessory and even then, it would only add $465 to the bottom line. $34,965 would be it, no higher. That would be MSRP and nobody pays MSRP. I don't think many consumers would define $34,965 as "pushing $40k".
Fair enough, I just went back and checked and I was defintiely still thinking of the Sorrento's price tag. In any event, if you forgo the tech package on the Cadenza the list price is $38,900, which is a great price. The tech pack gives you 19" wheels, all the lane departure/blind spot safety gear, an electronic parking break, adaptive cruise control. I don't think that's a must-have package personally.

In summation, the price is on par with its competition. I do wonder what the sales goals are.
Old 05-24-13, 02:15 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Like most new BMW's, this Kia has a serious overbite problem. Front end looks rediculous, but the rest of the package is fair.
Overall, I don't see anything special that will push this car out of dealer lots at an accelerated rate.
Old 05-24-13, 02:51 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

The Azera is selling about 1k cars per month in NA. I would guess the Cadenza will sell about the same, maybe a little less since the Azera name is more recognizable to consumers.
Old 05-24-13, 02:59 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
The Azera is selling about 1k cars per month in NA. I would guess the Cadenza will sell about the same, maybe a little less since the Azera name is more recognizable to consumers.
Probably less. Like you say, the name is not as recognizable plus the whole segment is never as hot as a step below (ie midsize)
Old 05-24-13, 11:34 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexus200
I thought auto makers had reached the limit of how many styling cues the could borrow, but KIA has proved me wrong. Should be called the Blender.
Ya, there are definate things that look like they are "borrowed" (like those A6 taillights), but overall, i think it doesnt look very bad stylistically. At least it doesn't look as derived as the Genesis. My favorite thing about the car is the fact that they didn't do any sort of LED DRL strip on the headlights. LEDs look nice and all, but when they are starting to pop up everywhere, it looks a little "played out".

P.S. If that grille gets any more pinched in the center, BMW will bust a blood vessel.
Old 05-25-13, 02:56 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First look, i read Kia CADEVA, as in a Sink, translated from italia.....LOL
Old 05-25-13, 06:28 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 659 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by trexlexus
My favorite thing about the car is the fact that they didn't do any sort of LED DRL strip on the headlights. LEDs look nice and all, but when they are starting to pop up everywhere, it looks a little "played out".
I think I showed you this in the 1st "1st Drive" thread. It has the feature. The one I saw at the auto show had them, too.

Old 05-25-13, 02:27 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Mike728
I think I showed you this in the 1st "1st Drive" thread. It has the feature. The one I saw at the auto show had them, too.

Now that you say that, i do vaguely recall a conversation about that. But i thought that was a pre-production model. Maybe i am wrong, but i was searching for the Cadenza's features and i couldn't find LED headlights in them. You have any links?
Old 05-25-13, 06:33 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,441 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Originally Posted by trexlexus
Now that you say that, i do vaguely recall a conversation about that. But i thought that was a pre-production model. Maybe i am wrong, but i was searching for the Cadenza's features and i couldn't find LED headlights in them. You have any links?
Not sure if we're talking about headlights or drl's now.
Old 05-25-13, 10:43 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

Lol, i meant to be talking about DRLs in the beginning. But ya, regarding them, i couldn't find any spec sheets saying that the Cadenza had LED DRLs. Maybe i just suck at searching lol.
Old 05-26-13, 06:35 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
Well Mike,I usually don't keep a vehicle long and resale value of a Cadenza may be not very good.
Ask the Azera owners.
Yes, I agree that, in some cases, the potential resale values of some (not all) American-market Hyundais and Kias are not up to some of their competitors. But that just proves my point.....long-outdated views of these vehicles, by the public, keeps holding down their values as used cars. We'll have to want and see how the Cadenza does in the marketplace. But it is clear that its cousin Azera's low sales were not due to being a substandard product, but simply by Hyundai's aggressive marketing/advertising of its own Genesis brother. The Genesis, in ads, was constantly being compared (rightly or wrongly) to ES and GS Lexus models, and a lot of people bought into it and simply by-passed the Azera.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-26-13 at 06:43 PM.
Old 05-26-13, 07:29 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I have to say I am impressed. I still prefer the Hyundai Azera in terms of looks but this is one hell of a package.
Old 05-27-13, 06:19 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 659 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes, I agree that, in some cases, the potential resale values of some (not all) American-market Hyundais and Kias are not up to some of their competitors.
I was worried about this with my Sonata when I purchased it in 2008. I lost about $12k over a 5 year period and 75k miles, which I think was outstanding. This was on a trade-in and I was given Black Book value. I lost $20k in 2 years on my previous Chevy.
Old 05-28-13, 09:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike728
I was worried about this with my Sonata when I purchased it in 2008. I lost about $12k over a 5 year period and 75k miles, which I think was outstanding. This was on a trade-in and I was given Black Book value. I lost $20k in 2 years on my previous Chevy.
Although actual depreciation-curves differ by vehicle (and accumulated mileage), most new cars depreciate the most the first year, continue at a steep-though-deceasing rate for the first three years, and then start to flatten out each year after that. By the time they are eight or nine years old, each year after that makes little difference.

That's why a number of people, if they don't keep their cars for the entire vehicle's life, either trade in every three years or get three-year leases. The three-year mark in the life of many vehicles marks a major balance-point between depreciation, reliability, getting as much of your money's worth as possible, and the potential cost of getting into another new car.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-28-13 at 09:38 AM.

Quick Reply: First Drive: 2014 Kia Cadenza