Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

TESTED: 2014 Honda Accord Plug-In Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-13, 09:57 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default TESTED: 2014 Honda Accord Plug-In Hybrid

Accord Hybrid v2.0 plugs in for mpg bragging rights.

Two Accord generations ago, Honda offered a hybrid powertrain in its mainstream sedan. But it was a performance-oriented V-6 hybrid that never achieved the lofty fuel-economy numbers that eco buyers crave. Now, Honda is jumping back into the game with a new, efficiency-oriented Accord hybrid, and its mileage is impressive. It’s rated by the EPA at 47 in the city and 46 on the highway. Moreover, it’s a plug-in hybrid, and when operating on electric power, it gets 124 mpge in the city and 105 on the highway. Its combined rating of 115 mpge is bested only by Honda’s much smaller Fit EV.

To achieve this efficiency, the Accord plug-in uses an Earth Dreams 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine—this translates to a hybrid-typical Atkinson-cycle engine—coupled to a pair of electric motors, powered by a 6.7-kWh lithium-ion battery. The coupling arrangement is not the Integrated Motor Assist that Honda uses on other hybrids. Instead, it’s more like the Toyota and Ford systems, with a 166-hp AC traction motor and a smaller motor generator connected in such a way that the electric and gasoline power can be seamlessly blended.

The Accord system is smooth, efficient, and reasonably peppy, accelerating to 60 mph in 7.7 seconds and covering the quarter-mile in 16.1 seconds at 88 mph. That makes the Accord the quickest PHEV on the market, now that the Fisker Karma has bitten the dust.

With a fully charged battery, the Accord’s electric range is rated by the EPA at 13 miles. We measured 13.7 during an urban/suburban drive at the speed limit plus 5 mph. In the process, the Accord used 3.6 kWh of electricity, equivalent to 3.85 miles per kWh, an excellent figure. After the gas engine cut in, we averaged 42 mpg on a 500-mile drive from Ann Arbor to Michigan’s west coast and back.

This efficiency doesn’t come solely from the powertrain. The Accord plug-in gets low-rolling-resistance tires, a number of aerodynamic tweaks, and an aluminum hood, front subframe, and rear bumper beam to save a few pounds. Even so, the plug-in weighs 400 more pounds than a similarly equipped EX-L model.

That additional weight is not terribly obvious, as the plug-in uses the torque of its electric motor to move away briskly from a stop. Honda has recalibrated the power steering to help the car feel lighter. Unfortunately, its heft is now too light, to the detriment of on-center feel and general cornering feedback. Grip is also down, to 0.82 g, from the 0.86 g of the last conventional Accord we tested, and the suspension feels softer. It rides placidly on smooth pavement, but there’s too much body motion if you start pressing a bit harder on bumpy roads.

The new electric-servo brake, however, does a better job of blending regenerative braking with friction braking than that of most other electric-car brakes. The transmission offers a B (battery) mode that substantially increases regen when you release the accelerator. In the city, it lets you drive with one pedal most of the time, just like a Tesla does, and offers the same kind of lift-pedal deceleration you’d experience in first or second gear in a manual-transmission car.

Another feature that’s new to the Accord is the LaneWatch blind-spot display that turns on a camera in the right-side mirror whenever you activate your right turn signal. It brings up a view to the right, including your blind spot, in the main LCD in the center of the dash.

Inside, the plug-in is much like other Accords, with a good driving position, a logical control layout, and plenty of room. The new, Bio-Fabric upholstery looks and feels cheap, even if it’s produced by an environmentally friendly manufacturing process. And the Accord’s trunk gives up nearly half its (previously capacious) volume to the big battery. Outside, the plug-in is recognizable by its rear spoiler, several odd-looking bits of blue-toned brightwork, and tacky-looking aerodynamic wheels that might as well have been ripped from the shelves of Pep Boys.

Of course, the prime directive of hybrids is to deliver fuel efficiency, and this Accord does that in spades. Although we might like a bit more than 13 miles of electric range, the plug-in recharges quickly, needing only three hours on a standard 120-volt outlet and less than an hour with Honda’s 220-volt charger.

All this technical excellence costs a pretty penny—4,057,000 of them—although you do get a federal tax rebate of $3636, which brings the price down to $36,934. Compared with a well-equipped conventional Accord, which costs about six grand less, if you drive 10,000 miles in 20-mile chunks, with a full charge between each one, the plug-in will save you about $750. At that rate, you’ll break even after 80,000 miles. That rate of payback will have to improve before the plug-in becomes as mainstream as the rest of its Accord siblings.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...in-test-review
Attached Thumbnails TESTED: 2014 Honda Accord Plug-In Hybrid-capture.jpg  

Last edited by bagwell; 05-24-13 at 10:01 AM.
Old 05-24-13, 10:35 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Not bad. I don't want one, but not bad
Old 05-24-13, 10:46 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

now Honda build a hybrid with same system, just smaller battery, like Camry Hybrid... you can do it!
Old 05-24-13, 10:56 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

About time Honda.
Old 05-24-13, 10:57 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

3x smaller fuel bills is nice... plus you also get better resale value in 3-4-5 years when you are selling it, and lesser maintainance costs, as usual. Plus it is slightly faster and a lot cooler.
Old 05-24-13, 11:36 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by nthach
About time Honda.
+1 --- a real hybrid FINALLY!!!

also --- they didn't mention the available STATE TAX CREDITS.....which can be substantial (CO is $7500).

more Q&A from the Honda website....http://automobiles.honda.com/accord-plug-in/faqs.aspx

Q: What is the driving range of the Accord Plug-In?
A: Accord Plug-In has a combined gas-electric driving range rating of 570 miles and a maximum EV mode driving range rating of 13 miles[1]

Q. What are the miles per gallon?
A. A 46 combined (MPG) gasoline-only rating and 115 combined miles per gallon of gasoline-equivalent (MPGe) electric rating.

Q: How long does it take to recharge the battery?
A: The battery can be fully recharged in as little as 1 hour from a low-charge indicator illumination point using a 240-volt charger or 3 hours using a dedicated household 120-volt[2] circuit.

Q: How many people can the Accord Plug-In accommodate?
A: The Accord Plug-In is a 5-passenger sedan.

Q: How much does the Accord Plug-In cost?
A: The Accord Plug-In has an MSRP of $39,780

Q: Is there a smartphone application to monitor state of charge?
A: Yes. Accord Plug-In owners can download a free smartphone application that allows the driver to remotely check the state of charge, initiate charging and remotely activate the climate control system.

Q: Are there any functions in the car to help me maximize the battery range?
A: Yes. The Accord Plug-In is equipped with eco-coaching functions through Eco Assist™ and the ECON button to modify system operations for increased efficiency, both adopted from other Honda hybrid vehicles.

Q: Is this Honda's first plug-in hybrid-electric vehicle?
A: Yes

Q: How can I sign up to receive more information about the Accord Plug-In as it becomes available?
A: You can learn more about the vehicle and request a quote at accord-plug-in.honda.com.

Q: How fast does it go?
A: The output of the 2.0-liter 4-cylinder engine is 141-hp. This is supplemented by a 55-hp lithium-ion battery pack.

Q: Where can I charge the car?
A: Charging at home is the most convenient method, either with the included charging cord set, which can be used with a dedicated 120V[2] 15A circuit, or with an optional 240V 32A charging station for even faster charging. Also, more and more public charging stations are being installed across the country. Locations can be found on the standard navigation system[5] or by using the smartphone app.

Q: Can I take it to any Honda dealer for repairs?
A: While many systems and parts are derived from the Accord, there are unique systems, including the high-voltage battery and electric motors, that should only be inspected and repaired by dealership technicians trained to service the Accord Plug-In. For this reason, Honda recommends taking the Accord Plug-In to an authorized Accord Plug-In dealer.

Q: Has the Accord Plug-In been crash-tested?
A: Honda has tested the Accord Plug-In in the same manner as it tests all of its other vehicles to ensure that it complies with applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. The Accord Plug-In has not been tested by NHTSA as part of the NCAP program; if and when it is tested, Honda (and NHTSA) will share the results.

Q: Do I need to get a permit to install a charger?
A: Some municipalities will require a permit. The home-charging station installer (EVSE vendor) will obtain the required permits at each location and any permit fees will be added to the EVSE installation costs.

Q: Can the charging plug be used in any public charger?
A: The J1772 connector is the latest standard for charging applications and is used by all major automakers. All new charging stations should be compatible; however, older stations may use a different connector. The charging locations identified on the navigation system[5] and the smartphone app[4] will only include compatible stations.

Q: Can I plug into any wall outlet at my house?
A: Accord Plug-In includes a 120-volt charger that can be plugged into any standard 120-volt wall outlet. It is recommended that a dedicated 120-volt GFCI outlet (not shared) be used and that a licensed electrician confirm the suitability of any outlet used.

Q: How long will the battery last?
A: The battery is covered as part of the emissions warranty for 10 years, 150,000 miles.

Q: How long will the battery remain charged if the vehicle is left unplugged?
A: The drain on the battery will be very small. However, a variety of factors like outside temperature, age of the battery and the original state of charge when it was parked will have an effect on the drain rate and amount.

Q: How can I test-drive an Accord Plug-In?
A: Check with your local Honda Dealership that carries the Accord Plug-In.

Q: Does the Accord Plug-In use regenerative braking to help recharge the battery?
A: Yes. Applying the brakes converts the electric motor into a generator. The motor slows the vehicle and produces electricity at the same time. The ECON mode and the “B” position on the shifter allow drivers to engage a much more aggressive regenerative braking function.

Q: Will "topping off" every night damage the battery?
A: No, "topping off" will not damage the battery.

Q: How does cold weather affect the performance and battery life?
A: The high-voltage battery life can be affected by ambient temperature. In particular, when it is cold outside, the vehicle’s electric driving range can be reduced, and a longer battery-charging time is required. In addition, parking in extremely hot or cold environments can accelerate battery drain.

Q. Is the Accord Plug-In eligible for federal, state or local incentives?
A. Yes. California residents who purchase or lease an Accord Plug-In are eligible for a California state rebate of $1,500. Details at http://energycenter.org/index.php/in...rebate-project

A federal tax credit of $3,334 is available for purchase of an Accord Plug-In. If you lease the Accord Plug-In from Honda Financial Services, the tax credit will be used to reduce the transaction price on the lease. Details at http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Plug-I...30-and-IRC-30D)

Other financial and non-financial (like HOV lane access) incentives are available in various states and localities. Details at http://www.goelectricdrive.com/index.php/incentives
Old 05-24-13, 12:19 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

ah now I remember why i though Accord PHEV was bad...they should build pure hybrid with normal trunk...

Old 05-24-13, 02:01 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Impressive package overall. Whimsical wheels kill it for me.
Old 06-03-13, 07:04 AM
Whitigir
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hm One fast plug in hybrid. But the plug in only worth 13 miles.....I wouldn't bother charging it.

Now, can either Toyota, lexus, Honda actually make a plug in that run 7 seconds to 60mph and plug in eve range of 130 miles ? If one of you do. I swear m buying one. I have never been a fan of hybrid. But if I buy one , imagine the market
Old 06-03-13, 09:03 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Whitigir
Hm One fast plug in hybrid. But the plug in only worth 13 miles.....I wouldn't bother charging it.

Now, can either Toyota, lexus, Honda actually make a plug in that run 7 seconds to 60mph and plug in eve range of 130 miles ? If one of you do. I swear m buying one. I have never been a fan of hybrid. But if I buy one , imagine the market
Tesla Model S, now bust out your checkbook
Old 06-03-13, 09:06 AM
LexFather

Nice stats. Its hilarious how ugly they make their cars, they know it deep down inside as ads either feature them i silver to hide the beak (Acura) or in black to hide the rhino snout (Accord plug in). Its smart

I don't know what this is trying to say...lol

Old 06-03-13, 09:07 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Default 2014 Honda Accord Plug-in Hybrid Starts at $40,570

Just the Facts:
The 2014 Honda Accord Plug-in Hybrid starts at $40,570, making it more expensive than the 2013 Chevrolet Volt, 2013 Ford Fusion Energi and 2013 Toyota Prius Plug-in Hybrid.

It is on sale now at select New York and California Honda dealers.

The 2014 Accord Plug-in Hybrid also is available for lease at $429 a month.

TORRANCE, California — The 2014 Honda Accord Plug-in Hybrid starts at $40,570, including a $790 destination charge, making it more expensive than the 2013 Chevrolet Volt, 2013 Ford Fusion Energi and 2013 Toyota Prius Plug-in Hybrid.

The 2014 Accord Plug-in Hybrid is on sale now at select New York and California Honda dealers. Honda announced pricing on Monday.

Honda's Accord Plug-in Hybrid also is available for lease at $429 a month.

The 2013 Chevrolet Volt starts at $39,995, including an $850 destination charge, and the 2013 Ford Fusion Energi starts at $39,495, including a $795 destination charge. The 2013 Toyota Prius Plug-in Hybrid starts at $32,760, including a $760 fee.

Honda said the 2014 Accord Plug-in Hybrid is based on the Touring trim level of the standard Accord sedan, but with unique styling cues. In comparison, the 2013 Honda Accord Touring starts at $34,420, including a $790 destination charge. The Accord Plug-in Hybrid is $6,150 more expensive than the 2013 Honda Accord Touring model.

Honda is calling the 2014 Accord Plug-in Hybrid "the most fuel-efficient sedan in America." The automaker said the car is rated by the EPA at 115 mpg equivalent in all-electric mode. The EPA has not yet posted official fuel economy numbers on the Accord Plug-in Hybrid.

According to Honda, the Accord Plug-in Hybrid has a gasoline fuel economy rating of 47 mpg in city driving and 46 mpg on the highway.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/2014...-at-40570.html
Old 06-03-13, 09:09 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

I don't think Honda wants this to be a high volume car pricing it $8000 more than a Prius Plug-in. The last Accord Hybrid was crazy expensive too and sold zilch.

altho, as stated above....a federal tax rebate of $3636, brings the price down to $36,934

Last edited by bagwell; 06-03-13 at 09:16 AM.
Old 06-03-13, 09:32 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,473 Likes on 1,624 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
I don't know what this is trying to say...lol
let me help ya out... it's saying "hey, at least i'm not as cheap looking or ugly as a camry"
Old 06-03-13, 09:33 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
let me help ya out... it's saying "hey, at least i'm not as cheap looking or ugly as a camry"

Quick Reply: TESTED: 2014 Honda Accord Plug-In Hybrid