Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW debuts 2014 X5

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-13, 09:12 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SaigaX
What were they thinking with the fog light placement?
They are now LED fog lights.

This car is packed with technology. BMW is making giant leaps with every new vehicle they introduce, putting nail after nail into Lexus coffin. The GS is the only Lexus that is currently somewhat advanced and competitive, and even then you have to settle for a lousy V6.

BMW debuts 2014 X5-gss3hsb.jpg
Old 05-29-13, 10:35 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

]
I think that interior pic looks really cool, especially that layered upper dashboard look. On the downside, i imagine that that little crevice will be a dust bunny's heaven.

Must be tough to clean.
Originally Posted by original post
It isn't often that an automobile manufacturer gets to launch an entirely new vehicle segment, but that's exactly what BMW did in 1999 when it introduced the world's first Sports Activity Vehicle
The Lexus RX was sold in 1998. How exactly did BMW launch a new vehicle segment when they followed Lexus's product line a full year after? Unless they count the fact that the X5 is bigger?

Last edited by trexlexus; 05-29-13 at 10:42 PM.
Old 05-29-13, 10:47 PM
92 SC400
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've been looking more and more pics of the F15 vs E70, and the interior of the F15 looks better - no question about that. The exterior of the F15, however, is pretty disappointing. The front is OK, but when looking at exterior side-by-side comparison pics posted on some of the BMW forums, it's just not as appealing (to me).
Old 05-30-13, 12:11 AM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think the general consensus is that the interior is a huge step up but the exterior is a little lacking. It doesn't look as sleek as the previous gen exterior to me...everything looks so much bigger and bulkier
Old 05-30-13, 03:46 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 92 SC400
I've been looking more and more pics of the F15 vs E70, and the interior of the F15 looks better - no question about that. The exterior of the F15, however, is pretty disappointing. The front is OK, but when looking at exterior side-by-side comparison pics posted on some of the BMW forums, it's just not as appealing (to me).
Originally Posted by edgeucated
I think the general consensus is that the interior is a huge step up but the exterior is a little lacking. It doesn't look as sleek as the previous gen exterior to me...everything looks so much bigger and bulkier
My wife thinks the new one looks "squished". Yes the E70 seems to flow better.
Old 05-30-13, 03:50 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by trexlexus
The Lexus RX was sold in 1998. How exactly did BMW launch a new vehicle segment when they followed Lexus's product line a full year after? Unless they count the fact that the X5 is bigger?
That's just marketing dimwits coming up with ways to differentiate their products and make them sound special and exclusive. Is the RX a "Sport Activity" Vehicle? BMW obviously considered the X5 to be in a "different segment" than the Lexus RX.
Old 05-30-13, 06:07 AM
kwr
Pit Crew

Something is off with the exterior. The fog lights look out of place and the excessive chrome in the front is unnecesaary.The vehicle looks down market compared to 1st and 2nd gens and the interior is just OK. It better have class leading handling to offset the exterior short comings.

Def prefer the 1st and 2nd gens over this.
Old 05-30-13, 06:37 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, I think this looks terrible. Lots of details that break the flow of the car, like creases right below the fog lights and the weird trapezoidal shape between the 2nd and 3rd grilles. It also looks bloated, especially comapred to the athletic cut of the current X5.

Interior looks like an E90/E92 - meaning 7 or 8 years old.

Add on the vents behind the front wheel wells (why are these here? If they are functional, do we not worry about mud clogging them?) and the side badging that is impossible to read unless you're standing by a parked version (I wonder how many accidents these have caused?) and I think BMW is totally clueless about where their styling should go.
Old 05-30-13, 08:09 AM
trexlexus
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
That's just marketing dimwits coming up with ways to differentiate their products and make them sound special and exclusive. Is the RX a "Sport Activity" Vehicle? BMW obviously considered the X5 to be in a "different segment" than the Lexus RX.
Unfortunately the public that reads these reviews are not up to snuff about car info, unlike us car-people. Therefore that leads to misinformation and deceitl

I like how the headlights still have the general shape and style of the outgoing model, even though they are now fused with the grille. Makes for a very nice resemblance, hence family styling.
Old 05-30-13, 09:22 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Overall, I like it.

Granted, the rear exterior is not as consistent or well-executed (compared to the previous-gen). That is one minor downside.

Other than that, I like it overall.

If I were to get one, I would get the:
X5 M50d version with 3.0 liter TRIPLE TURBO Diesel engine
Old 05-30-13, 11:02 AM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts

I wanna see the M model
Old 05-30-13, 11:11 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
They are now LED fog lights.

The New BMW X5 (F15) - EXTERIOR - YouTube

This car is packed with technology. BMW is making giant leaps with every new vehicle they introduce, putting nail after nail into Lexus coffin. The GS is the only Lexus that is currently somewhat advanced and competitive, and even then you have to settle for a lousy V6.

they look like chinese kit... GS and IS have LED fogs as well and they look normal and not like something from Alibaba.
Old 05-30-13, 12:21 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Those fog lights look like that because they are also the cornering lamps.
Old 05-30-13, 12:29 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

GS and IS have fog lights are are more or less day time running lights, they don't provide any useful light output. This X5 fogs look like they have some wicked LED chip in there, with nice optics.
Old 05-30-13, 08:20 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Say what you will about the looks, we all know it looks good enough to continue selling well. But more interestingly, BMW is finally reducing weight on their new designs and that is good news.

xDrive35i lighter by 170 lbs (than predecessor)
xDrive50i lighter by 230 lbs (than predecessor)
Ultra-high-tensile steels in body structure
Thermoplastics in front fenders
Aluminum in hood
Magnesium in instrument panel support

Quick Reply: BMW debuts 2014 X5