Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Honda Fit EV lease drops to $259 with no down payment, unlimited miles

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-13, 06:42 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I need a commuter car that I will have to buy/lease before the fall, and I might actually go with an electric for this price.

We have my wifes X5 and my daughters Grand Vitara for long trips, and an electric is going to be perfect for me to drive to work and run errands. My shop is only about 10 miles from my house, and I got 3 phase electric there, and I'm sure there other benefits to owning an electric, possibly cheaper tolls and most definitely sexual favors from greenie hippie chicks.
Old 06-03-13, 06:45 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

sounds awesome plan och :-)
Old 06-03-13, 09:11 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
Nah, not apples to oranges. Just because the Model S is powered by electricity instead of gas does not mean it is an apples to oranges comparison. The Model S is a full size luxury sedan, priced in the same range as the LS, S Class, 7 Series, & A8. Those that are opting for a full size luxury sedan are choosing Tesla 2 to 1 (or more in some cases) as of April's sales.
I Hey let me compare a car that starts at 52k with tax credits more in size with the midsize class with the D class flagships

Stop comparing for the sake of comparison.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
last i checked, it's not 2015 yet, so not outdated. i never said EVs will NEVER make sense. i'm just saying they're inconvenient and non-economical for 99% of uses, TODAY.

as long as that 80-100 miles is on the way to where you're going, then that might be ok, but there's no way 100 stations can provide that much coverage. the u.s. has over 47,000 miles of INTERSTATE alone!

model S is definitely impressive, the best EV so far. 265 mi. is max with the max battery option, making it a VERY expensive proposition. for that money i'd get a diesel cayenne for less and get over 700mi. per tank.

must have missed that. you can't make the math work. i realize there's other reasons to buy hybrids (environmentalism statement, low speed silent driving, mid-range electric torque boost, etc.), but other drawbacks, like lost trunk space in sedans, etc.

i'm neither anti-tesla or anti-ev, just looking at the practical usage/value proposition. i'm impressed with what tesla has done, and glad they paid back their government loan. what you don't know is i've looked seriously at the tesla x. i've no interest in sedans as they don't fit my needs.

well first off, i don't have awd (actually would be 4wd on my gen explorer), so i'm not 'wasting' that feature. i certainly knew that would be a waste for me in florida! but all auto purchases are compromises - we each look at what we need and what we want and make the trade-offs. i need now and then cargo space a sedan can't provide, so a sedan would not work for me, but sure, it's not used a lot of the time, but that's doesn't mean i don't need it. sure if money were no object i'd have a vehicle for when i don't need the space, and one for when i do, but i can't do that, or choose not to. unlike you, i don't have a half dozen sedans.

an suv provides large space in a package not like a van or minivan, etc. not everyone needs/wants it. but for those who do, it's worth it.

an EV today is positioned as saving gas, having no emissions. it may do those things, but has some serious trade-offs that most are not willing to make, and the gas savings don't offset the huge vehicle cost. that won't always be the case though, and i look forward to when they're more practical! hybrids are pretty much the worst of both worlds. don't make economic sense and offer pretty anemic 'benefits' with often horrible driving characteristics (prius) or borderline useless trunk space, etc. but for a few, those trade-offs are acceptable! and again, i looked seriously at an RX450h and came away unimpressed overall.
the point is stop calling out hybrids and EV with some internet calculator b/c it doesn't fit YOUR needs. It clearly fits others.

Originally Posted by Och
I need a commuter car that I will have to buy/lease before the fall, and I might actually go with an electric for this price.

We have my wifes X5 and my daughters Grand Vitara for long trips, and an electric is going to be perfect for me to drive to work and run errands. My shop is only about 10 miles from my house, and I got 3 phase electric there, and I'm sure there other benefits to owning an electric, possibly cheaper tolls and most definitely sexual favors from greenie hippie chicks.
Nice. I've flirting with an EV too, I'm now downtown, my commute is going to be very short and I kind of want to experience ownership and try something different. While I wouldn't be caught dead in a Fit, this is one appealing lease.

Old 06-03-13, 09:44 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Nice. I've flirting with an EV too, I'm now downtown, my commute is going to be very short and I kind of want to experience ownership and try something different. While I wouldn't be caught dead in a Fit, this is one appealing lease.
humm does that mean you are contemplating ....
Old 06-03-13, 09:52 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,405 Likes on 1,577 Posts

the point is stop calling out hybrids and EV with some internet calculator b/c it doesn't fit YOUR needs. It clearly fits others.
there's needs vs. wants, and not seeing the 'need' for most hybrid purchases, but i definitely see the want to spend less on gas even if it won't actually save most people money.

oh and thanks for telling me what to stop doing, but i won't tell you to 'stop calling out' acura/honda obsessively, and will ignore your request here.
Old 06-03-13, 11:32 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

there's needs vs. wants, and not seeing the 'need' for most hybrid purchases, but i definitely see the want to spend less on gas even if it won't actually save most people money.
just like people don't 'need' a 600hp Mustang....to each his own.
Old 06-03-13, 12:09 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bagwell
humm does that mean you are contemplating ....
Its a lovely vehicle and in some other threads I have showered praise on it. It drives amazing, you would never figure its from a new company. Some tidbits are off but the tech is top notch.

t but i won't tell you to 'stop calling out' acura/honda obsessively, and will ignore your request here.
That has nothing to do with the thread so I'lll go directly to Internet Brands. Thank you.

Old 06-03-13, 12:16 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

I called the local FIAT dealer, and 500e is only sold in Cali.
Old 06-03-13, 12:23 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Och
I called the local FIAT dealer, and 500e is only sold in Cali.
you could probably have one shipped from there.
Old 06-03-13, 12:32 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bagwell
you could probably have one shipped from there.
I'm gnna check out the Leaf, I don't think I can register 500e here.
Old 06-03-13, 12:35 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Och
I'm gnna check out the Leaf, I don't think I can register 500e here.
Leaf isn't bad at all....

Old 06-03-13, 12:52 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Leaf isn't bad at all....
+1

Leaf > 500e

but you should be able to register the 500e anywhere, quite a few EVs are sold only in a few select states initially....its no different than buying a Camaro in CA and having it shipped to NY.
Old 06-03-13, 01:06 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Hey let me compare a car that starts at 52k with tax credits more in size with the midsize class with the D class flagships

Stop comparing for the sake of comparison.
You are mistaken. The EPA classifies the Model S as a "Large Car" , it is not "midsize". Here, don't take my word for it. Click on "Specs" http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find....n=sbs&id=33612

And it is very much in the same price category as the others..
Old 06-03-13, 01:08 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
You are mistaken. The EPA classifies the Model S as a "Large Car" , it is not "midsize". Here, don't take my word for it. Click on "Specs" http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find....n=sbs&id=33612

And it is very much in the same price category as the others..
It's not. But if it makes you feel better

Old 06-03-13, 01:26 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not. But if it makes you feel better
A "large size" luxury sedan that maxes out to over 100k with options is midsize/executive class?
Ok, whatever you say

Quick Reply: Honda Fit EV lease drops to $259 with no down payment, unlimited miles