Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Are codgers the auto industry's saviors?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-13, 02:59 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Are codgers the auto industry's saviors?

Are codgers the auto industry's saviors?

"Boomers May Be The Only Ones Who Can Afford New Cars"

Back many more years than I would care to admit, I sat through my share of press conferences where auto execs would brag about lowering the average age of their buyers from somewhere in the 50s down into the 40s.

The age factor back then was particularly acute among the domestic brands, which saw the average of their buyers climb while imports were peeling away their younger buyers. Much of this was also due to the fact that the product pitched by the domestics, thanks to their floaty rides and less-than-compact packages, did seem geared more towards those eligible for AARP membership than not.

Things change. The products on the market today have a more universal sensitivity to them. There are Ford and Chevy models that appeal to Honda and Toyota buyers and vice versa. The Detroit automakers are not necessarily typecast as builders of your father's Oldsmobile anymore.

So it's interesting that a new study by the University of Michigan suggests that the worm has turned and auto execs may soon be bragging about raising the age of their average buyers. The Transportation Research Institute at U of M has found the peak probability of buying a brand new automobile is now in the 55-to-64 age group. This is a significant shift away from a study four years ago that found the 35-to-44 set most likely to buy new cars. We reported these findings earlier in the week, but they deserve a closer look.

Of course, a lot of this can be attributed to aging baby boomers, the proverbial rat working its way through the snake.

Two years ago, the leading demographic for purchasing a new car were 45-54 year old buyers, who accounted for 26 percent of the market, compared to the next bracket up, 55-64, who were responsible for 23 percent of sales. Study author Michael Sivak also found that this oldest demographic had the highest new car per driver ratio – one vehicle bought for every 14.6 drivers – than any other segment.

"The findings suggest that marketing efforts that focus on drivers 55 to 64 years old should have the highest probability of success per driver," Sivak said. "The emphasis on this relatively older age group is further supported by the expected continuation of the graying of the population and the consequent continuation of the increase in the number of older licensed drivers."

This trend has many factors driving it – better health and longer lifespans of aging Americans and the fact that many in that age group are at their peak earning years or recently retired. The other demographic groups, especially the younger ones, are not as well insulated from an uncertain economy and find that the rising costs of new cars make buying a new one more difficult. And in the youngest demographics, we have seen teens putting off getting their drivers' licenses later and later. Add to that student loan debt and difficulty getting that first job, and you'll find that most under 30 consider the idea of buying a new car pretty far-fetched.

But, even as the new car buying population grays, don't expect to see execs running out touting about their conquests of the geriatric set any time soon. A long, long time ago, the industry wisdom held that you can't sell an old man's car to a young man, but you can certainly sell a young man's car to an old one.

Cars are and will continue to be a fountain of youth, no matter the demographic. So the more the market may change with older buyers driving new car sales, the more things on the advertising and product front will look the same.
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/06/04/a...try-s-saviors/
Old 06-05-13, 10:38 AM
Hoovey689

Kinda similar to this thread. Maybe merge:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...-new-cars.html
Old 06-06-13, 07:51 PM
LexFather

Is that a member here? Lol

I thought I read cougars!

Old 06-06-13, 09:02 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Is that a member here? Lol

I thought I read cougars!
Tons of cougars out here in Blackhawk. They all own their ex husbands houses, cars and half his company from the divorce. I know a few bars where they hang out if you're interested
Old 06-07-13, 10:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

And in the youngest demographics, we have seen teens putting off getting their drivers' licenses later and later. Add to that student loan debt and difficulty getting that first job, and you'll find that most under 30 consider the idea of buying a new car pretty far-fetched.
A lot of kids and young people, today, simply aren't interested in cars. They spend most of their money on electronics, text and Twitter all day long, and simply let Mom and Dad cart them around in Siennas and Odysseys.
Old 06-07-13, 11:12 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

So it's interesting that a new study by the University of Michigan suggests that the worm has turned and auto execs may soon be bragging about raising the age of their average buyers.

The Transportation Research Institute at U of M has found the peak probability of buying a brand new automobile is now in the 55-to-64 age group.
Not a bit surprising. This is nothing that I haven't been telling you guys for years. The TRI is only now finding that out.

This is a significant shift away from a study four years ago that found the 35-to-44 set most likely to buy new cars.
Not really. The 55-65 age group, especialy for single people or those without kids, is usually the one with the highest disposable income, and the largest percentage of their income available for a new-car purchase. That is because they have had decades to work/save/invest, have the wisdom accumulated over time not to blow a lot of money on frivilous things, know how to manage their budgets, and often have their mortgages paid off.

Much of this was also due to the fact that the product pitched by the domestics, thanks to their floaty rides and less-than-compact packages, did seem geared more towards those eligible for AARP membership than not.

the industry wisdom held that you can't sell an old man's car to a young man, but you can certainly sell a young man's car to an old one.
That's is an image often fostered by the auto-press, but the idea that young people don't (or can't) buy large traditional domestic soft-riding cars is simply not factual. I had, for example, two traditional Buicks (and a sporty Plymouth Barracuda) before I was 20, and one of my closest friends in high school drove his dad's Olds 88 around...and loved it. Other young people (and friends) that I had in college drove everything from air-cooled VW Beetles to Cadillacs/Lincolns....though usually as used cars, not brand-new.
Old 06-07-13, 01:30 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

As a codger, I will continue to do what I can to help save the auto industry.
Old 06-07-13, 06:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Of course, a lot of this can be attributed to aging baby boomers,
Absolutely. Perhaps more than any other age group, Boomers (of which I myself am one) grew up in America's Golden Age of cars (the late 50s through late 60s), which, today, is only a distant memory. And, unlike some of the later generations (particularly the present group of high-schoolers), many of who would rather spend their time tweeting/texting than driving (and, unfortunately, sometimes both at once), cars became one of the central issues of our lives.....and remained so. Driving, back then, in many ways, was also a lot more fun, as roads were much less crowded, you didn't have "traffic-calming" devices all over the place, and the scenery and countryside wasn't ruined by sprawl and over-development. Of course, though, even with traffic and crowded roads, today has one big advantage over our time.........even though we had some of American history's classiest luxury and muscle-cars during that period, their relative unreliability (and constant need of maintenance) couldn't hold a candle to today's nearly bullet-proof cars. We've been spoiled by the reliability and safety of today's cars.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-07-13 at 06:10 PM.
Old 06-08-13, 05:39 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts

At 23, i am at least a decade away from buying a brand new car. Buti definitely buck the current tremd of young, single adults. Driving is central to my way of life.
Old 06-08-13, 07:47 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
At 23, i am at least a decade away from buying a brand new car. Buti definitely buck the current tremd of young, single adults. Driving is central to my way of life.
Yep......with more than 1800 posts in CL and CAR CHAT, you have proved that.

I hope you can afford a new car ASAP......but, of course, you sound intelligent enough not to spend money on a car that should go into other things first. Also, remember that you can sometimes get into a leased new car for a lower monthly-payment than with a traditional purchase. Even in the money-rich Washington D.C. area I live in, leasing goes a long way towards keeping a lot of local premium-car dealerships in buisness.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-08-13 at 07:50 PM.
Old 06-08-13, 11:52 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

My family always has bought used cars, that's what I plan to do for a while....even if I have the means to buy new. I generally prefer something that fits the style I'm looking for, and I can usually find it in the used car market. Wider variety anyway since you're looking at more than one model year IMO.

Best case scenario, I could be making about $45k a year starting next year when I graduate with my BS in Accounting. I don't count any eggs until they hatch though.

I'll probably buy a newER car next year to replace my aged LS, but most of my money is going to go towards a downpayment on a home. I would really like to get into a home before this recession ends and the prices soar again.
Old 06-09-13, 08:53 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
A lot of kids and young people, today, simply aren't interested in cars. They spend most of their money on electronics, text and Twitter all day long, and simply let Mom and Dad cart them around in Siennas and Odysseys.
As somebody who loves cars and driving...this is my greatest fear. I really don't know what the auto industry landscape will look like in 15 years...I don't want a car that drives itself so that I can tweet and whatever the whole time.
Old 06-09-13, 10:41 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

We havs already suffered the loss of the manual transmission due to the ilk of the lazy and apathetic.
Old 06-09-13, 03:27 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
We havs already suffered the loss of the manual transmission due to the ilk of the lazy and apathetic.
They'll never admit that though. No they use the better performance and fuel economy excuses now
Old 06-09-13, 05:01 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I prefer the term fogie, thank you.

Quick Reply: Are codgers the auto industry's saviors?