Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Best designed lineup?
Chrysler
2.08%
Ford
12.50%
GM
2.08%
Honda
0%
Hyundai
14.58%
Kia
8.33%
Mazda
20.83%
Nissan
4.17%
Subaru
0%
Toyota
20.83%
VW
14.58%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Best overall styling - Which automaker? (2013)

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-13, 05:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Best overall styling from an automaker, for both exterior and interior? I'd have to say Rolls-Royce. Nobody, IMO, does it better. But I also like the looks of a number of lesser mass-marketed vehicles, though I couldn't pick out another entire separate manufacturer as a whole. Among those specific vehicles would be the Cadillac CTS (especially the now-discontunued CTS Sportwagon), Mercedes SL and SLK roadsters, the Buick Verano/Regal, Ford Mustang, Dodge Challenger, Chrysler 300, and Jeep Grand Cherokee.

I know I'm probably in the minority on this one and that some of you guys will disagree with me, but, in general, supercars/exotics like Lambos, Ferraris, McLarens, etc.....don't excite me. I don't get my jollies off on them. They sit too low, are too hard to get in/out of, are uncomfortable, and their ultra-sleek lines just aren't my thing.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-09-13 at 05:55 PM.
Old 06-09-13, 08:03 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can’t really vote because the best designs recently are from luxury car makers like Lexus, Mercedes and BMW I voted Toyota anyway no bias
Old 06-09-13, 10:47 PM
xsh0tya
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
My vote has to go to Ford. I've been very impressed with their latest designs. Fusion, Focus, Taurus, Escape, Explorer IMO are all at the top of their classes in design or at least earning ties.
Its probably because you like Aston Martins and lets face it the Fusion stole that. I better correct myself.... not stole as was heavily inspired by the look.
Old 06-09-13, 10:53 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by xsh0tya
Its probably because you like Aston Martins and lets face it the Fusion stole that. I better correct myself.... not stole as was heavily inspired by the look.
oh come now. Ford still owns a small stake in Aston Martin
Old 06-09-13, 11:24 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the bright side of the "grille sharing" between Aston and Ford, the Aston Martin Cygnet won't look so out of whack with it's stablemates. The Ford Fiesta now has a buddy!

Lol, jokes. I think Ford's Lincoln do a really good job of styling, exception given to the rolling fridge, aka MKT.
Old 06-10-13, 12:00 AM
adamls2
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mordecai
I voted Mazda. Their Kodo design language is finally hitting its stride with the 6. Just a gorgeous deign theme that is not overwrought.
+1 I really like the Kodo designs, especially the Mazda 6 after seeing it in person! It's a unique design that doesn't have a funky grill or "copy cat" image that some of the other brands tend to radiate sometimes.

So kudos to Kodo
Old 06-10-13, 12:07 AM
cino
Lexus Champion

GM. From Caddy to Chevy to Buick to GMC, they nail it.
Old 06-10-13, 02:20 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Since you could not vote for Audi, I voted VW. The Passat and Jetta are painfully boring, but I do like the Golf, GTI, and Jetta Wagon.
Plus 1. Audi should have been included. The A5/S5, A7/S7, and R8 have dominated car convos for many years.
Old 06-10-13, 03:56 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah I would have voted for Audi if it was included, but I guess this is non-luxury brands?

Voted for Mazda. The new 6 is super sexy, as is the CX-5. Was really close between Mazda and Kia for me, and maybe I'm slightly biased towards Japanese vehicles, but gave Mazda the edge. No matter how good they look new, Korean cars still have a tendency to look very dated after a few years. The Sonata seems to be aging well though, so maybe this trend will change.
Old 06-10-13, 04:04 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
I was going to choose them when I was deciding but decided not too because the design language hasn't manifested itself completely. But ever since the CX-5, and definitely with the 6 and up coming 3 it's evident that its bold and flows well. The 6 is almost spot on for time Takeri concept, and plent if Shinari concept in it too
it is so-so... works in pics a lot better than in real life.. like CX5 looks plain from distance, only when you come very close to it, you notice all the detailing.

6 is better since you notice it from further... although I got to ask what happens in 2-3 years when we see a lot of them, it will become a bit of boring.

Their Interior's are actually better once you sit in them vs the pics where that nav setup looks crude a bit.

It is hard to say which one was the best overall though but Mazda seems to be in my top 1-2-3.
Old 06-10-13, 07:32 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

I voted for Nissan. They have so many products with many different target markets it's difficult for all of them to look great (your mid-size sedan must look rather bland to appeal to many), but they also offer many niche products in a combination that no other automaker does (like the Juke, 370z, Leaf, NV Van) that are quite good looking. Plus, you know, the GT-R.
Old 06-10-13, 07:43 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Best overall styling from an automaker, for both exterior and interior? I'd have to say Rolls-Royce. Nobody, IMO, does it better. But I also like the looks of a number of lesser mass-marketed vehicles, though I couldn't pick out another entire separate manufacturer as a whole. Among those specific vehicles would be the Cadillac CTS (especially the now-discontunued CTS Sportwagon), Mercedes SL and SLK roadsters, the Buick Verano/Regal, Ford Mustang, Dodge Challenger, Chrysler 300, and Jeep Grand Cherokee.

I know I'm probably in the minority on this one and that some of you guys will disagree with me, but, in general, supercars/exotics like Lambos, Ferraris, McLarens, etc.....don't excite me. I don't get my jollies off on them. They sit too low, are too hard to get in/out of, are uncomfortable, and their ultra-sleek lines just aren't my thing.
Not to mention their performance is now matched in many (but not all) aspects by cars you can buy for around $50k AND drive every day. For example, the Mustang Boss 302 and the Laguna Seca version especially, outdid cars that cost 3 - 4 times as much.
Old 06-10-13, 08:58 AM
Megafast13
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Definitely has to be Mazda, Kia, or Lexus.
Old 06-10-13, 11:32 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Can't vote for any of them, none of their designs really stand out and are pretty bland. I think the KIA Optima is one of the best designs for a mid size sedan aside from the rear and a few models have nice styling but not enough to pick them.

If including high end companies Aston Martin gets my vote.
Old 06-10-13, 11:38 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Ferrari............period.

Everything else all look the same........a box on 4 wheels.

Quick Reply: Best overall styling - Which automaker? (2013)