Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Drive an EV? Get ready to open your wallets.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-13, 12:26 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
The way we tax fuel to pay for road construction is flawed, as pointed out earlier.

If you really want a fair way to pay for road construction, tax people based on number of miles driven. Those who use the roads more often pay more. Guaranteed if we had a tax system like this in place back in the 1940's/50's, there wouldn't be a such thing a suburban sprawl.

Of course tracking number of miles driven is kind of a hard thing to do. You could put GPS trackers in cars, but IMO that's way too big brother. I know if you had yearly inspections and recorded the miles on the odometer, people would find a way to cheat at that(roll back their odometers). Best I can figure is that you enter your VIN and mileage every time you purchase gas, pretty hard to cheat the system that way. Still that's a big invasion of privacy, the government can still kind of track your habits that way.
How about a toll collection system? That seems like a pretty good way of deducing total mileage driven, privacy issues notwithstanding.

I do agree that if drivers have to be taxed to pay for roads, taxing based on miles driven seems to be the most fair.