Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2014 Kia Cadenza

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-13, 06:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by tmf2004
thanks for the review as always...
Sure...anytime. Glad you enjoyed it.
Old 06-11-13, 07:04 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
In what way? To me, the latest-generation Hyundai Sonata/Elantra/Tucson are all three classic eyseores (inside and out), with their Kia counterparts far-better looking. But, of course, styling is objective. For instance, I once saw a fairly young couple, in a Pontiac showroom, fall in love with a new Aztek and take one home that very afternoon.
It's just the design language. I don't find it attractive at all, what with seemingly two kidney grills melded together. Looks like a bad techno catfish. I don't understand why folks are going gaga over it. To each his own, but a lot of Kia Kool-aid being drank and I don't believe the fluff.
Old 06-11-13, 07:49 PM
Sulu
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
...I'm probably the only person who finds Kia styling an eye sore.
Thanks.

In what way? To me, the latest-generation Hyundai Sonata/Elantra/Tucson are all three classic eyseores (inside and out), with their Kia counterparts far-better looking. But, of course, styling is objective. For instance, I once saw a fairly young couple, in a Pontiac showroom, fall in love with a new Aztek and take one home that very afternoon.
I think you mean that "styling is subjective".

I also do not like the current styling language of Hyundais and Kias.

I find that Hyundais have too much "flaming" creases along their sides, their beltlines are too high and the back rooflines too sloping.

I also do not like Kia's current styling. I find the Optima's C-pillars very, very, very, very awkward and I cringe every time I see one on the road. I also find the beltline too high. I do not like "sitting in a bathtub" and having to peer over the edge.
Old 06-12-13, 10:16 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sulu
I think you mean that "styling is subjective".
You're right. Sorry...a typo. Hoovey, though, knows me well enough to know what I meant.

I find that Hyundais have too much "flaming" creases along their sides, their beltlines are too high and the back rooflines too sloping.
Totally agree. To me, several of the new Hyundais look ridiculous.

I also do not like Kia's current styling. I find the Optima's C-pillars very, very, very, very awkward and I cringe every time I see one on the road. I also find the beltline too high. I do not like "sitting in a bathtub" and having to peer over the edge.
Some people actually like the "sitting in a bathtub" position with a high beltline. True or not, it gives them an added sense of security. Problem is, in general, the smaller the windows, the worse the outward visibility...recent Camaros are particuarly bad with that.
Old 06-12-13, 10:57 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I prefer a Toyota product over ANY Hyundai/KIA. Especially at $42K.
yep, same here, no question

Toyota has a waaaaaaaaay better reliability record and much higher retained value % vs Kia.
Old 06-12-13, 11:05 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell

Toyota has a waaaaaaaaay better reliability record and much higher retained value % vs Kia.
That was true years ago. Not after about 2000 or so. The problem is that Hyundai residual values have lagged well behind their rise in quality. And, in fact, that makes them attractive as used cars, though parts of that long warranty aren't always transferable to new owners.
Old 06-12-13, 11:11 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Thanks.

Actually, this car dates back to 2009. We are only now getting it in the American market. And Kia has had cars in this class before in the American market.....the admittedly slow-selling 1 and 2Gen Amanti. The company, of course, has even larger and more expensive cars in South Korea(along the lines of the Hyundai Equus) that we don't see here.

Yes, I agree that it is more styling than practicality. But I was pointing out that if they are going to take the time to actually put those strips on (which, IMO, never should have been taken off in the first place), then why not do it in a sensible way that actually accomplishes something?

Not off-topic at all......and yes, legitimate questions. There are a number of answers to those questions, but I'll start by saying that, first, being a pro-buisnesss state, Virginia is fairly liberal about the number of miles that can legally be on a car's odometer and still be sold as a new car instead of used (this, of course, also affects demos). Sometimes (but not often) I actually review demos, if regular models are too hard to find or if the shop wants to keep the miles down. I ran into that with the Nissan 350Z some years ago, for instance, (but not with the 370Z though, which I could do a normal review on). As a result, I couldn't really do a thorough review of the 350Z at all, besides a very short general write-up. They had only one 350Z demo at the time, and limited me to only a few blocks....barely nothing, especially for a fast sports car. Second, the total number of review-miles I put on any one car, of course, varies with traffic, road-conditions, average speed, condition of the road (for example, to minimize the chance of damaging wheels/tires/suspension, I don't delibrately speed over deep potholes and really bad pavement, especially on today's low-profile tires and stiffer underpinnings). Sometimes salespeople want me to put a fair number of miles on a car...they think they might sell it easler that way. Some salespeople, of course, already know me (from car-shopping with other customers and helping them through their deals), so they don't mind me spending a little time with their cars....they figure it might bring in an extra customer or two.

I don't write up full-reviews on the local test-drive circuit the manufacturers use at the annual D.C. Auto Show, because they are basically just a few miles of stoplights and more-or-less rough, potholed city streets...not enough to truly determine a car's overall road manners, though it does give you good idea of suspension/tire stiffness.

When it comes to customer-referrals, though, I have my limits........and my ethics. I've actually been offered referral-money by a dealership (I won't say which one) to steer customers their way and try and sell them on that company's products. I politely said thanks but no thanks. I don't believe in that. If or when I shop with someone or discuss a new-car purchase with them, it is purely objective, based solely on my view and opinions of the vehicle and auto-manufacturer alone.....and nothing else, including referral-money, can be involved.

And, last, sometimes I myself actually want to get the car back to the dealership ASAP. Though I kept it out long enough for a proper review, I found driving the diminutive Smart-for-Two, for example, about as enjoyable as a lesson in Algebra from a cross-eyed math teacher.
LOL at the Smart/Algebra analogy!
That's quite interesting about a dealer offering you referal money, but not surprising. I commend you for having some ethics and keeping it real. It's about cars, hobbies, and getting the word out what is good about them. Well done.
Old 06-14-13, 10:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
LOL at the Smart/Algebra analogy!
Yeah....when I was in my first-year of college (I only went for two years), I hated algebra. Boring textbooks, boring classes, boring homework, and a boring instructor. And calculus was almost as bad. Driving a Smart-for-Two was about the same level of hostility. I didn't like that car at all....and the Scion iQ, though slightly better overall, was not a very pleasant car to drive either, though both it and the Smart were a breeze to manuver and park.

That's quite interesting about a dealer offering you referal money, but not surprising. I commend you for having some ethics and keeping it real. It's about cars, hobbies, and getting the word out what is good about them. Well done.
Thanks ...not only that, but I don't need to get paid for anything I do in or around cars. Though I'm not Donald Trump or Bill Gates by any means, I'm pretty much set financially, even in retirement, and don't need any more income than I get.

Last edited by mmarshall; 06-14-13 at 10:19 AM.
Old 06-15-13, 11:36 AM
neegroy
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

hmmm not too shabby..

the only thing that kills it for me is when your driving your staring at the big a** KIA sign lol.
Old 06-15-13, 12:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by neegroy
hmmm not too shabby..

the only thing that kills it for me is when your driving your staring at the big a** KIA sign lol.
Where....on the steering wheel? Virtually all cars today have the company-logo on the wheel.
Old 06-16-13, 07:20 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I'll have a special car-review coming up soon in honor or a late friend of mine.....but I won't spill the beans now.