Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Does the future of Fiat-Chrysler include Dodge?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-13, 10:31 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,617 Posts

i really didn't know how many models each of dodge and chrysler had until i looked after seeing this thread.

chrysler has just 3 models (and variants) - 200, 300, town & country (minivan)
dodge has 7 (and variants) - avenger, challenger, charger, dart, durango, journey, grand caravan

given the focus of each, with chrysler more conservative and dodge more sporty/youthful, i think they should keep both brands.

i enjoy seeing the dart on the road too - it's a looker...
Old 06-17-13, 11:11 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Never been the biggest Mopar fan, but I saw one of these in white this morning and it's presence was striking. I liked what I saw

Old 06-18-13, 07:02 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Trexus
The C could also stand for compact utility vehicle. One of the first crossover's was the 1RX 300 which was based on the Camry which was unibody and not body on frame like traditional SUV's. I wouldn't classify the Durango as a CUV but an SUV.

CUV's
NX
RX

SUV's
GX
LX
It could, but it doesn't. It has a strict, specific definition for automakers, which may differe when it is used colloquially.

It's like the difference between a scientific theory, and a working theory. One is the best possible explanation for all observations of a specific phenomena, and the other is not much more than conjecture based on limited data.
Old 06-18-13, 08:55 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i really didn't know how many models each of dodge and chrysler had until i looked after seeing this thread.

chrysler has just 3 models (and variants) - 200, 300, town & country (minivan)
dodge has 7 (and variants) - avenger, challenger, charger, dart, durango, journey, grand caravan
Though technically it wouldn't be a Chrysler nameplate, a rebadged version of the Caravan/Town & Country (with some minor changes/decontenting) was marketed for several years as the VW Routan.

given the focus of each, with chrysler more conservative and dodge more sporty/youthful, I think they should keep both brands.
Not only that, but the corporation needs an American-nameplate brand below the Chrysler level....that becomes even more important as Chrysler moves upmarket.

I enjoy seeing the dart on the road too - it's a looker...
I took a good look at the Dart before I decided on a Verano...especially when I did my Dart review (which, because of availability-issues, was actually done in two pieces). Despite a couple of less-than-perfect drivetrains, I was impressed enough with the car, for the price, to put it into my Top Five in consideration. It was especially attractive compared to the POS Caliber and Neon it replaced.
Old 06-18-13, 01:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,465 Likes on 1,617 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
dodge has 8 (and variants) - avenger, challenger, charger, dart, durango, journey, grand caravan, viper
how could i forget the eighth wonder

Old 06-18-13, 02:20 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

That's not actually a Dodge, it's an SRT.
Old 06-18-13, 02:25 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
That's not actually a Dodge, it's an SRT.
Correct. Dodge has re-branded the Viper from Dodge to SRT. Dodge trucks to Ram. Makes you wonder what their long term plan is for the rest of the line. They could easily have a Ram Durango.
Old 06-18-13, 02:41 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Correct. Dodge has re-branded the Viper from Dodge to SRT. Dodge trucks to Ram. Makes you wonder what their long term plan is for the rest of the line. They could easily have a Ram Durango.
meh that doesn't sound right
Old 07-13-13, 01:08 AM
Hoovey689

Default Ralph Gilles responds to Dodge rumors, says brand is 'here to stay'

Ralph Gilles responds to Dodge rumors, says brand is 'here to stay'

This is why we love Ralph Gilles. While in Italy hanging out with a group of Viper Club members in Europe, the SRT boss took the time to respond to a question directed at him on Instagram in regards to the future of Dodge.

Recent reports have painted a bleak picture for Dodge, but Gilles defended Chrysler's full-line brand by stating that the rumors are, "all rumors, Dodge is here to stay! It may get more focused going forward but not killed!" The idea of a "more focused" Dodge brand could lend some credibility to reports that the Grand Caravan and Durango are on their way out, which would leave Dodge solely as a car, or car-based, automaker.
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/07/12/r...is-here-to-st/
Old 09-16-13, 05:11 PM
Hoovey689

Default Dodge not being dropped by Chrysler, CEO reaffirms

Dodge not being dropped by Chrysler, CEO reaffirms

Dodge isn't going anywhere. Despite some rumor and speculation over the future of the crosshair grille and the cars that wear it, Dodge brand boss, Tim Kuniskis, sat down with TheDetroitBureau.com, explaining that the marque isn't going anywhere. His sentiments echo those of SRT boss Ralph Gilles, who told a group of enthusiasts in July that "Dodge is here to stay!"

Dodge's death won't be "a part of a master plan to consolidate brands," Kuniskis told TheDetroitBureau.com. Instead, the brand, which is ultimately under the command of Fiat/Chrysler CEO, Sergio Marchionne, will likely ditch some of its badge-engineered models, like the Dodge Grand Caravan. A more focused Dodge, which was something Gilles has already hinted at, will likely see it exploring areas of the market that haven't been exploited by other Chrysler brands.

Kuniskis, not surprisingly, wasn't willing to delve into any detailed product plans, telling TDB that the size of the brand's lineup "remains to be seen." Regardless of how big the brand actually ends up being (it is presently Chrysler's volume brand – and not by a little), hopefully the statements from Kuniskiss can put the rumors of a Dodge closure to bed.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/09/16/d...ceo-reaffirms/
Old 09-17-13, 07:55 AM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the future of Chrysler shouldn't include Chrysler!

3 models, 1 of them is awful, another is undistinguished from competitors, and the third is OK. This brand has been so terrible for so long that any customer who remembers it with any attribution of prestige is nearly dead. No one in Gen X or younger will ever buy a Chrysler, save for the odd (wo)man out who likes a mafia-looking 300.

If it didn't have the 300, this brand wouldn't be around. Perhaps Chrysler should make 300 its own brand like they did Ram. At least then they'd have justification to stop the other 2 invisible cars they manufacture.
Old 09-17-13, 10:05 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Infra
I think the future of Chrysler shouldn't include Chrysler!

3 models, 1 of them is awful, another is undistinguished from competitors, and the third is OK. This brand has been so terrible for so long that any customer who remembers it with any attribution of prestige is nearly dead. No one in Gen X or younger will ever buy a Chrysler, save for the odd (wo)man out who likes a mafia-looking 300.

If it didn't have the 300, this brand wouldn't be around. Perhaps Chrysler should make 300 its own brand like they did Ram. At least then they'd have justification to stop the other 2 invisible cars they manufacture.
Chrysler is going to be the bread and butter. It's hardly invisible, it's just the most boring line up. Honestly, Dodge likely has a worse reputation than Chrysler itself.

1) The Town & Country will carry on into the next generation as a minivan that can command a $40k MSRP like the top level Odyssey and Sienna

2) The new Chrysler 200 is less than a year away and will actually be competitive.

3) The 300 will continue to evolve and be a strong player in the full-size segment

4) Look for either a crossover or sub 200 model in the future.

I see nothing wrong with Chrysler setting itself up as a "group portfolio" instead of having everything laid out under one name.
Old 09-17-13, 12:03 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 431 Likes on 355 Posts

They really should bring the Ram back as a Dodge. Dodge seems to have a decent line-up if you include the Rams.
Old 09-17-13, 02:58 PM
Lil4X
Out of Warranty

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Off and on a MoPar fan, I agree it's time for Dodge to trim some of its product lines. There is no point in offering some of their products that compete directly with others in the stable, the best illustration being the Grand Caravan and the Town & Country that are virtually identical behind that nose shell. A little tinkering with the options packages and the two could live comfortably under the Chrysler umbrella. Dodge is still the performance division while Chrysler produces the near-luxury offerings. Avenger and Journey are definitely on the bubble here, especially when you add in the Jeep lines that pretty well cover the SUV frontage. Ram and SRT are good as separate lines - just as GMC and to stretch a point, AMG are within their respective corporate structures.

The point is to focus on distinctive products, not so much what can be assembled by raiding another division's parts bin. That creates not only a loss of focus, and a blurring of image, but a nightmare for the inventory clerks. Once upon a time the theory ran that a man could purchase new cars from one manufacturer throughout his life. His first new car might be a Chevy as he started life with a young family, then move up to a Pontiac as he began to climb the corporate ladder. When he arrived a junior exec, then he'd buy an Oldsmobile when he got that corner office. By the time he's earned that VP title, he was expected to buy a Buick, and later a Cadillac as he was ushered into the boardroom. Chrysler did the same thing with Plymouth, Dodge, DeSoto, and Chrysler, while over at Ford, you had the progression from Ford, to Mercury, to (briefly) Edsel, then Lincoln. The idea was to create brand captivity - a customer literally for life. I suppose you might say many got their Cadillac in the stretch version, all black with a door in the back . . . the final farewell to a lifelong GM customer.

It all ended when models began to proliferate within lines. Rather than selecting from two options on the list (radio and heater), by the late '50's and into the '60's you could option up your Chevy DelRay from a plain-jane beater with not even armrests on the doors, to a full-boat Impala SS that was not just a glamorous car, but a killer at the strip. Chevy began pirating customers from Pontiac, with the result that Pontiac by '63 had begun the shift to the corporate performance image, sidestepping some of that competition from Chevrolet and taking them totally out of the line that led to Oldsmobile and Buick.

Today, brand loyalty is pretty well gone. You don't see the dyed-in-the-wool Ford or Chevy man. Most of us bounce from brand to brand, to foreign and domestic with the ease of a broken-field runner. We tend to buy what appeals to us in terms of styling, performance, reliability, utility, and perceived value - rather than obsequious slavery to that nameplate mounted fore and aft. Although some will select a car based on what the neighbors will think of us, most buyers grew up - and discovered there's more to an automobile than its name.
Old 09-17-13, 03:37 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by Lil4X
Off and on a MoPar fan, I agree it's time for Dodge to trim some of its product lines. There is no point in offering some of their products that compete directly with others in the stable, the best illustration being the Grand Caravan and the Town & Country that are virtually identical behind that nose shell. A little tinkering with the options packages and the two could live comfortably under the Chrysler umbrella. Dodge is still the performance division while Chrysler produces the near-luxury offerings. Avenger and Journey are definitely on the bubble here, especially when you add in the Jeep lines that pretty well cover the SUV frontage. Ram and SRT are good as separate lines - just as GMC and to stretch a point, AMG are within their respective corporate structures.

The point is to focus on distinctive products, not so much what can be assembled by raiding another division's parts bin. That creates not only a loss of focus, and a blurring of image, but a nightmare for the inventory clerks. Once upon a time the theory ran that a man could purchase new cars from one manufacturer throughout his life. His first new car might be a Chevy as he started life with a young family, then move up to a Pontiac as he began to climb the corporate ladder. When he arrived a junior exec, then he'd buy an Oldsmobile when he got that corner office. By the time he's earned that VP title, he was expected to buy a Buick, and later a Cadillac as he was ushered into the boardroom. Chrysler did the same thing with Plymouth, Dodge, DeSoto, and Chrysler, while over at Ford, you had the progression from Ford, to Mercury, to (briefly) Edsel, then Lincoln. The idea was to create brand captivity - a customer literally for life. I suppose you might say many got their Cadillac in the stretch version, all black with a door in the back . . . the final farewell to a lifelong GM customer.

It all ended when models began to proliferate within lines. Rather than selecting from two options on the list (radio and heater), by the late '50's and into the '60's you could option up your Chevy DelRay from a plain-jane beater with not even armrests on the doors, to a full-boat Impala SS that was not just a glamorous car, but a killer at the strip. Chevy began pirating customers from Pontiac, with the result that Pontiac by '63 had begun the shift to the corporate performance image, sidestepping some of that competition from Chevrolet and taking them totally out of the line that led to Oldsmobile and Buick.

Today, brand loyalty is pretty well gone. You don't see the dyed-in-the-wool Ford or Chevy man. Most of us bounce from brand to brand, to foreign and domestic with the ease of a broken-field runner. We tend to buy what appeals to us in terms of styling, performance, reliability, utility, and perceived value - rather than obsequious slavery to that nameplate mounted fore and aft. Although some will select a car based on what the neighbors will think of us, most buyers grew up - and discovered there's more to an automobile than its [I]name[/I].
true it's better, but it's still very apparent and there are loads of name plate buyers. BMW struck a gold mine by offering the extremely basic 320i here now.

"Hey look Hun, we can buy a BMW now!"

Quick Reply: Does the future of Fiat-Chrysler include Dodge?