Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Spied: Is This an Early Lexus CT 200h Sedan Mule?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-13, 02:06 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

The ugly *** HS rears its head again under the name CT. I guess they havent learned their lesson yet. Luxury cars are big, powerful, and luxurious, not cheap, small, and powerless in my book. If they failed with the HS then why the hell would they even try a sedan in the CT that looks exactly the same
Old 06-19-13, 02:14 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
The ugly *** HS rears its head again under the name CT. I guess they havent learned their lesson yet. Luxury cars are big, powerful, and luxurious, not cheap, small, and powerless in my book. If they failed with the HS then why the hell would they even try a sedan in the CT that looks exactly the same
Technology.

The HS was already antiquated when released, using the Camry's oldest hybrid powertrain, which averaged a paltry 32 mpg combined.

Even today, the CT is overshadowed by more efficient hybrids such as the new Avalon and Fusion hybrids. The Toyota Avalon Hybrid gets 40 mpg combined, and the Ford Fusion Hybrid gets 42 mpg combined; all the while being bigger, heavier, more powerful, modern, and "utilitarian".

If the CT Sedan comes to fruition, it needs to pull 50+ mpg such as the current Prius. Otherwise, it will fail miserably, just like the HS.
Old 06-19-13, 03:04 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

looks like next Prius... is it not a sedan, it is liftback like Prius.
Old 06-20-13, 10:04 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It looks like a sedan too me. Plus there are already spy photos of the 2015 Pruis out and they look nothing like the MotorTrend's spy photos.

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2015-...#photo-5908556
Old 06-20-13, 10:11 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default 2015 Toyota Pruis

The fourth-generation Toyota Prius has been spotted testing in prototype form, revealing a familiar form for the latest generation of the world’s most popular hybrid. However, while the exterior is likely to feature only evolutionary changes (much of the design is dictated by aerodynamics), under the skin we’re expecting plenty of advancements.
Looking at this prototype, which was spotted testing in the U.S., we can clearly tell that the new Prius will sit lower and feature a sleeker profile than the current model. One of the shots even has the two generations sitting next to each other.

Toyota’s FT-Bh and NS4 concepts from 2012 are believed to hint at the design of the new car.

If Toyota sticks to its model cadence, we expect to see the new Prius make its official world debut at the Detroit Auto Show, either in 2014 or the follow year. The former is more likely, meaning we’re likely to see it in showrooms before the end of next year, making it a 2015 model.

Interestingly, production of the 2015 Toyota Prius is expected to take place in the U.S. for the first time.

Expect U.S.-spec cars to come with a lithium-ion battery as part of an updated Hybrid Synergy Drive system. The switch from current nickel-metal hydride technology is due to the better density and lighter weight of lithium batteries. The lighter weight, in particular, is crucial, as the new 2015 Prius is expected to weigh close to 155 pounds less than the current model.

The lighter weight, improved battery technology and a sleeker shape should all add to improved fuel economy. The current Prius returns an EPA-rated 50 mpg combined. Somewhere around 60 mpg combined for the 2015 model is likely for the basic hybrid, though a more frugal plug-in hybrid version will be launched once again.

Expect new versions of the Prius C and Prius V models with the same updated Hybrid Synergy Drive system further down the track.

Inside, it looks like Toyota is going for a more conventional dashboard layout. Gone are the central gauges of previous models, though it looks like a dash-mounted gear lever is still present.
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...rius-spy-shots
Old 06-20-13, 10:19 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Lexus CT 200h Sedan Spotted?

A Motor Trend editor spotted a mystery prototype in Southern California, and noting its similarity to the Lexus HS 250h, believes it to be an early version of a CT 200h sedan — let’s start with some photo comparisons to get it out of the way:

Nothing about this prototype reminds me of the CT, though it does bring to mind the hydrogen HS mule that was spotted last year:

The overall shape seems dated, and not really in line with the design direction of Lexus (or even Toyota) — have to think it makes more sense if this prototype is testing a new powertrain configuration.

http://lexusenthusiast.com/2013/06/1...sedan-spotted/
Old 06-20-13, 10:25 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Lexus Enthusiast say they maybe testing a new powertrain configuration, but they why bother covering up the car?
Old 06-20-13, 10:32 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The blue CT sedan in the pic looks so much better and more Lexus like than the horrible HS.

Last edited by Joeb427; 06-20-13 at 11:24 AM.
Old 06-20-13, 11:18 AM
trexlexus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It doesn't look like the spy shots depict a future CT sedan. The CTs roofline is really low and fast. The spy shots show a car with a more humpback look, more like HS.

Who knows, maybe it is a sedan version of the Prius. It does have that "wedge of cheese" look.

Am I the only one seeing how remarkably similar this is to the 2011-2013 Corollas? Even the modified grille is eerily similar.
Old 06-20-13, 11:21 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by trexlexus
It doesn't look like the spy shots depict a future CT sedan. The CTs roofline is really low and fast. The spy shots show a car with a more humpback look, more like HS.

Who knows, maybe it is a sedan version of the Prius. It does have that "wedge of cheese" look.

Am I the only one seeing how remarkably similar this is to the 2011-2013 Corollas? Even the modified grille is eerily similar.
folks have always said it looks like a large Corolla

And yes I don't know why everyone is jumping on "CT Sedan", this is probably a Toyota or possibly a Scion four door sedan. Lexus doesn't need to move downmarket anymore with a more de-contented sedan variant of the CT hatch. We don't need to compete against the ILX
Old 06-20-13, 12:04 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

The thing is the front end of the spy shoots looks like the HS/CT. So why would a Toyota/Scion have a model have a "Lexus face"?
Old 06-20-13, 12:08 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

If it isn't a "CT sedan", I think maybe Lexus is giving the HS another shot. But this time with a facelift, better MPG, and a lower MSRP.

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
Technology.

The HS was already antiquated when released, using the Camry's oldest hybrid powertrain, which averaged a paltry 32 mpg combined.

Even today, the CT is overshadowed by more efficient hybrids such as the new Avalon and Fusion hybrids. The Toyota Avalon Hybrid gets 40 mpg combined, and the Ford Fusion Hybrid gets 42 mpg combined; all the while being bigger, heavier, more powerful, modern, and "utilitarian".

If the CT Sedan comes to fruition, it needs to pull 50+ mpg such as the current Prius. Otherwise, it will fail miserably, just like the HS.
I think we're also forgetting the $36k price tag in addition too the poor MPG.

I think a $30k CT sedan might do well.

But most Toyotas don't have door mounted mirrors. The only one is the FR-S/86, but that's a sports car.

Last edited by Vh_Supra26; 06-20-13 at 12:15 PM.
Old 06-20-13, 12:22 PM
trexlexus
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vh supra26
The thing is the front end of the spy shoots looks like the HS/CT. So why would a Toyota/Scion have a model have a "Lexus face"?
Oh, I beg to differ on this one . If you look at the pre-2014 Scion tCs and Lexus CTs, the front fascias are REALLY similar. It would make sense since both of them are derived from a Corolla platform. In fact, the MC platform that underlies both of them occupies a good proportion of the Toyotas/Scions/Lexuses that are running around. It proves to be pretty versatile.

Left is the CT, right is the tC. Taking a look at both of them side by side really shows you how similar they are. The headlight shape is almost a complete carryover. The lower air intake is similar as well. And if you squint, you can even see a NON-chromed spindle grille forming on the tC. The CT might as well be the Scion tC Hatchback.

Heck, even the NAMES are just reversals of one another !
Originally Posted by vh supra
But most Toyotas don't have door mounted mirrors. The only one is the FR-S/86, but that's a sports car.
Granted, but that mule is a new model. New model, new design. New design, new (possible) direction.

Last edited by trexlexus; 06-20-13 at 12:38 PM.
Old 06-20-13, 12:38 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Oh, I beg to differ on this one . If you look at the newest Scion tCs and Lexus CTs, the front fascias are REALLY similar. It would make sense since both of them are derived from a Corolla platform. In fact, the MC platform that underlies both of them occupies a good proportion of the Toyotas/Scions/Lexuses that are running around. It proves to be pretty versatile.

Left is the CT, right is the tC. Taking a look at both of them side by side really shows you how similar they are. The headlight shape is almost a complete carryover. The lower air intake is similar as well. And if you squint, you can even see a NON-chromed spindle grille forming on the tC. The CT might as well be the Scion tC Hatchback.

Heck, even the NAMES are just reversals of one another !

Granted, but that mule is a new model. New model, new design. New design, new (possible) direction.
True, but all of the new models: Camry, Avalon, Yaris, Corolla, Rav4, Highlander and even the 2015 Prius spy shoots don't have door mounted mirrors.

Yes the CT and tC faces are very similar. But I think the spy shoots looks closer to the HS/CT than to the tC. You may be right, it may turn out to be a "tC sedan". But I think its going to be either a CT sedan or the return of the HS. In the end, who knows, its too early too tell.

Last edited by Vh_Supra26; 06-20-13 at 12:50 PM.
Old 06-20-13, 03:19 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

Yeah, those HS rims just won't die!
To my eye, it looks closest to an HS in body shape and size. It has the high, nerdy, minivan front hood like the HS, something the lower-slung CT does not have. Could be anything though, with Toyota/Lexus's grand small-car portfolio.

Quick Reply: Spied: Is This an Early Lexus CT 200h Sedan Mule?