Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2014 Accord Hybrid to get 49mpg city

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-13, 06:04 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I think the plug-in looks tons better....(hybrid top, plug-in bottom)

Old 09-24-13, 09:27 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Prius is 5 door, not 4 door :-)
Old 09-24-13, 10:31 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The plug-in does look much better.
Old 09-24-13, 10:34 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
I think the plug-in looks tons better....(hybrid top, plug-in bottom)

Really? IMO the plug-in looks like the great looking Accord was slapped with an ugly stick. Not to mention the horrendous wheels. I was glad when I found out the hybrid looked mostly like the standard car.
Old 09-24-13, 10:37 AM
ydooby
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
Really? IMO the plug-in looks like the great looking Accord was slapped with an ugly stick. Not to mention the horrendous wheels. I was glad when I found out the hybrid looked mostly like the standard car.
+1

The hybrid/regular Accord looks much classier.

BTW the trunk size in that video seems better than I thought. Should be enough for some people.
Old 09-24-13, 10:50 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ydooby
+1
The hybrid/regular Accord looks much classier.
I don't want classy...I want sportier...I think the plug-in front looks sportier...especially with fogs

Last edited by bagwell; 09-24-13 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-24-13, 10:56 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I too prefer the regular styling. I want a hybrid, but I don't feel the need to advertise it I'm not interested in the plug-in at all. Cost way too much for what it does.

I like the standard features that comes with the Accord. The question remains for me: Is it worth paying $3k more for it?
Old 09-24-13, 11:03 AM
LexFather

The thing is when you realize you get a 35k ILX with far outdated tech and 38MPG from a whopping 110hp etc for 35k, well the new Accord hybrid looks like a bargain. Those will be cross-shopped and the Acura ILX stands no chance as Honda once again trumps its luxury division.

Hybrid owners will pay more for a car so I honesty don't see much anything with the price.

Old 09-24-13, 12:29 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Blueprint
The thing is when you realize you get a 35k ILX with far outdated tech and 38MPG from a whopping 110hp etc for 35k, well the new Accord hybrid looks like a bargain. Those will be cross-shopped and the Acura ILX stands no chance as Honda once again trumps its luxury division.
+1, ILX is and forever will be a fail, but the upcoming TLX, based on Accord, will hopefully be decent (famous last words).
Old 09-24-13, 01:14 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

well, I sure do hope they sell a ton of them... with it being $3k more and Honda mentioning hiring additional 80 employees (!!!), looks to me like it might be token car. But lets hope it is not and sells at least 10% of Accord volume, and lets see the system spreading on their other cars like Civic and CRV.
Old 09-24-13, 01:41 PM
praetor
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 104 Posts

If the Accords or Camrys came in AWD trim, I would be all over them.
Old 09-24-13, 01:47 PM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by -J-P-L-
So thousands more than the Camry and Fusion hybrid and a smaller trunk. If you want supreme fuel efficiency though, it may be worth it to some. Still, I don't think it will be much greater than Camry H real world.
Originally Posted by GSteg
Ouch. That's very discouraging. I was hoping it would start around the same price as the Camry. $3,000 difference from the Camry is quite a lot. The XLE trim starts at $2,000 less.
Keep in mind, this is a "Plug-In" Hybrid. It's a very important distinction between it and the Camry, which, to my knowledge, doesn't even offer a plug-in model. The plug-in technology is a gigantic step forward for serious hybrid buyers and I believe they are willing to step up and pay the price. I think it's priced reasonably.
Old 09-24-13, 01:49 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
When you're actually spending the money

Small trunk doesn't bother me too much. After all, I'm coming from a 2GS and an S2k, neither cars known for their trunk size. I'm just waiting for real world mpg figures.

the motortrend article said they reached 59 mpg. Not sure over what distance though.

Honda is probably justifying its price premium based on the much higher mpg than the camry's.
Old 09-24-13, 01:55 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by pman6
the motortrend article said they reached 59 mpg. Not sure over what distance though.

Honda is probably justifying its price premium based on the much higher mpg than the camry's.
Gsteg is right, so many brands have come out swinging and claiming high MPG figures then in the real world its far worse and they have to change the ratings later and make statements about why.

50 MPG is one hell of a selling point, one the Prius used years ago and caught the world's eye. The Prius actually gets 50 MPG so will the Honda?

Even so to me the combination of Honda + Accord + 50 MPG= instant grand slam sales success.

Old 09-24-13, 02:47 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Keep in mind, this is a "Plug-In" Hybrid. It's a very important distinction between it and the Camry, which, to my knowledge, doesn't even offer a plug-in model. The plug-in technology is a gigantic step forward for serious hybrid buyers and I believe they are willing to step up and pay the price. I think it's priced reasonably.
no, $3k premium is for regular hybrid, not PHEV... PHEV will be priced much higher.

Quick Reply: 2014 Accord Hybrid to get 49mpg city