Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti Q50 thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-13, 10:59 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
The interior is quite possibly the biggest disappointment to me. It does not look much different, aside from the new center stack which appears very "Hyundai" as Mike illustrated. The other aspects of the interior are very bland, though it still looks a hell of a lot nicer than the 3 series

This is the only thing that bothers me. Hyundai cribbed Infiniti's interior design in the first place. The current gen-FX and their other models show that this was just a clear evolution of that design. I think it would be dumb to fault Infiniti for updating their current design, even though it was copied by another automaker.
Old 01-12-13, 11:03 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

I am one not to post my personal opinions of vehicles in an effort not to appear biased(I don't drive a Lexus, just a fan) and also because I 'm primarily focused on future products. However, I'd say that it looks much better than my own and better than the image my dad's Infiniti GM showed us in late November. It's not as extreme as the 3IS.

I actually would've considered the 3IS(which I don't understand the over-the-top criticism for it), but the lack of a manual is the deciding factor. The F30 3er or F32 4er is another consideration of mine for this summer, when I replace my '08 G35. BMW reliability is one thing that deters me as I like to drive my vehicle trouble-free 99% of the time. The name change doesn't make sense to me, but I expect it will work out well in the long run.

Originally Posted by blacksc400
Hmm, don't really like it. More Nissan than Infiniti.
Originally Posted by Blueprint
Looks like the Altima, maxima, Sentra.. I'm sure it will lease well.
Grill now also has mesh. Will await to see in person but very evolutionary which is fine they can't take risks as this is 60-70% of sales.

Horrible name, bring back G.
They are very guilty of overlapping design cues between Nissan and Infiniti models, which I've found to be very unacceptable as the term "fancy Nissan" that I get from others at times is definitely related to this. Toyota sometimes is guilty of designing Lexus models with a unique design, then spilling over in a non-L-Finesse form to Toyota models. I am praying that stops happening now that Akio's in charge and separating Toyota designers from Lexus designers.

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
More photos

Interior looks like the Sonata...
I usually agree with you 100% of the time, but one should remember that the Sonata interior(designed in 2007/early '08) took inspiration from Infiniti and this is merely an evolution of that Infiniti interior design theme designed in late 2004 for the 2007-2013 G25/G35/G37(V36) models and later introduced in 2006. That spread across the Infiniti line-up and even has offshoots on Nissan brand models like the Maxima.

There are earlier, more angular interpretations of it dating back to 2003 models, which were designed in 2000-01. Even though I respect Hyundai for stepping up their game lately, they did take from Infiniti, Lexus, and Mercedes-Benz, not to mention even some others. The only Q50 interior element that takes is the steering resembles the the Cadillac steering wheel, which itself was designed 6-7 years before Infiniti's. However, one should remember that the FX steering wheel is the true source of design inspiration.

Originally Posted by GFerg
Not sure whats going on with the Japanese luxury companies and these ridiculous grills. Other than that, not bad. Interior is what I would expect. Also appears to have 2 screens on the dashboard.

Im still in disbelief that its called the Q50. WTF!!?
The 2 screens are an interesting interpretation, which is similar to the (ugly)Etherea Concept and some new Acura/Honda models. As for the grilles, something tells me that somehow it can easily relate to local Japanese suppliers circa '08-09. Even though the MY2012 FX facelift was the first to have it in late 2011(designed in 2010), this grille dates back to the '09 Essence Concept which was designed in 2008.

That was also around the time the CTh & 4GS(w/ the spindle grille of course) were being designed, so further info on that could explain why all of sudden Japanese automakers are implementing such grilles. Similar to why cars were boxy most of the '80s, as the newly computer-based automotive design programs in the 1970s could only process and manufacture straight edges. That changed in the mid-1980s when rounded edges could be processed again, hence the jellybean look of the '90s.

Originally Posted by MikeSC4
very clean design overall. im a bit disappointed in the rear tho. looks like they went the avenue of the 4gs, sonata, mazda 6. i'm already missing the signature L shaped tailights. interior is typical infiniti
I agree it looks similar to them, but as far as copying, I'd take the 4GS and Mazda 6('09 or 2014 model?) out, as that would merely be coincidental. The design for the Q50 was frozen in June 2011, a time when the 4GS was still "camouflaged" and not even leaked. If you are referring to the new Mazda 6, both were designed simultaneously in 2011 and the Takeri wasn't even available until last year as a publicized design reference.

Originally Posted by GFerg
Hopefully Infiniti keeps the 6-speed manual option in the sedan for those select few who would purchase one.
I'd like to hope so, as one GM manager told me that it would still be offered. I hope he's right.

Seems so. Don't see the clock anymore either. CTS/Sonata/this share a lot of interior cues, not a bad thing, they are nice looking interiors.

Hyundai took from Infiniti's interior design theme, while designing the current Sonata's interior in 2007-08 and even the facelift 2014 Sonata makes them look closer now.

'07 G

'08 EX

'09 FX

2014 Sonata

Originally Posted by EZZ
Edmunds Comparison Test: G35 vs. 335i vs. CTS vs. IS350 vs. C350

1. Infiniti G35 Sport - The best combination of luxury, price, and performance.

2. BMW 335i - A rare but pricey mix of performance and comfort, the 335i would win if it cost less.

3. Cadillac CTS - Uniquely American sports sedan with surprising handling, gorgeous interior design, and impressive infotainment.

4. Lexus IS350 - Fast and refined, the IS350 nonetheless lacks the engaging driving character of its competitors.

5. Mercedes-Benz C350 Sport - High build quality combines with impressive interior features, performance however is lacking.

Also:

Autoweek Review - 2007 G35 & (IS350 vs. 330i)
Autoweek - 2007 Infiniti G35 Sedan Test
Infiniti Beats the Sophomore Jinx
A few interesting comments about it compared to the IS350 and 330i. They were very positive about the handling of the G35 at Lime Rock.

Quote »
Power is far more than ample both on the road and on the racetrack, where the G35 Sport felt more at home than did either the 330i or the IS provided for comparison. One clear advantage for the G35 over the BMW or the Lexus was found in Lime Rock’s first turn, a long sweeper called Big Bend. Where the Lexus felt soft and floppy, like a bigger luxury sedan, and the BMW declined to take a set and instead leaned over, released, and leaned again, the G35 buckled down and hustled through, assisted on exit by the Sport model’s standard viscous limited-slip differential.

I can't find a single publication that supports the Is350 out handles the G series. Just saying.

I have test driven the Is350 and found the G37 with sport package handled way better. Never test drove the F sport as it wasn't available in 2010.
Thank you, as I've once test driven an '11 IS350 F-Sport sedan and a '10 G37S 6MT sedan. I felt that the latter performed better and more of a driver's car. Then again, it might be because I'm biased towards manuals and the Lexus didn't have one. I also was more restricted by the Lexus salesman as he understandably didn't know me as well as those at Infiniti. Even though I have the 3.5 liter G35S, it still isn't much different performance wise than the G37S sedan I drove. The lovely 3IS I expect will do much better this time around as it clearly was high on Akio Toyoda's list.

Based on pics, this Q50 doesn't exactly move the needly forward like I was hoping. The front end looks a lot like the Maxima and I personally think mesh grilles are overplayed. On your sport model? Ok. On every car in your lineup? No. I hope these pics are of a sport model, and the standard car will carry on with Infiniti's horizontal chrome bars - I think they've done a nice job with them on some recent models.

The body and sides look a little overstyled, in typical Infiniti fashion, but the rear end is beautiful. Very nice shapes and lines back there from what I can see. Those wheels look hot also.

The interior is quite possibly the biggest disappointment to me. It does not look much different, aside from the new center stack which appears very "Hyundai" as Mike illustrated. The other aspects of the interior are very bland, though it still looks a hell of a lot nicer than the 3 series.

I think engines will be a make it or break it affair for the new Q50. I'd give the exterior a C+ and the interior a C. With the rebirth that is happening at Infiniti right now, I simply expected more from this new car.

Of course, you can look at the IS and say that it is overstyled and the Q50 is more conservatively handsome, but on the flip side, Lexus has taken a big gamble and Infiniti has moved the needle forward just a bit. Consider that the RX and ES are Lexus bread and butter, and Lexus does not take many gambles there. The G/Q50 is Infiniti's core, so perhaps they also don't want to take risks with their highest volume products - understandable. With that said, this segment is heating up with the ATS, new IS, a new C and A4 are around the corner and a new TL will be here soon. Infiniti needed to do a bit more here, IMO.
That is because of course Hyundai took inspiration from the Infiniti EX & FX interiors and implemented their own version. The Sonata interior would've been completed by mid-2008, which by that time the '09 FX had debuted. It's coincidental how woefully dreadful the Genesis center stack was when released in 2008, only for the Sonata's being the first Hyundai to resemble Infiniti's in late 2009/early 2010.

Last edited by Carmaker1; 01-12-13 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Steering wheel Q50 vs CTS
Old 01-12-13, 11:09 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Originally Posted by TangoRed
This is the only thing that bothers me. Hyundai cribbed Infiniti's interior design in the first place. The current gen-FX and their other models show that this was just a clear evolution of that design. I think it would be dumb to fault Infiniti for updating their current design, even though it was copied by another automaker.
Ah, beat me to it. I've been typing that for awhile and noticed how everyone kept making it seem as if Infiniti copied Hyundai. We all should know better about how much work and time goes into development for cars. There should be at least a 18-24 month gap between start of production on various cars concerning interior design freezes and for exterior design, 24-42 months in order for copying to take place. If there is anything less than that, it is mere coincidence. Hyundai designed that interior in 2007-08 and Infiniti did theirs in late 2004/early 2005. I had the prior generation Sonata for several months, before it was replaced in late '07 with the G and remember how the early 2008 MY09 facelift of the Sonata NF ended up becoming closer to the Genesis interior, only for the MY2011 YF redesign to mimic the interior of my G35 (V36).

Last edited by Carmaker1; 01-12-13 at 11:41 PM.
Old 01-12-13, 11:12 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

you guys are kidding yourselves if you are complaining about this car. it has universal good looks exterior/interior and has the infinti brand behind it. if the car has potential to even look better, then it will be a hot seller for the aftermarket crowd. everybody takes designs from everybody here and there.
Old 01-12-13, 11:34 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
you guys are kidding yourselves if you are complaining about this car. it has universal good looks exterior/interior and has the infinti brand behind it. if the car has potential to even look better, then it will be a hot seller for the aftermarket crowd. everybody takes designs from everybody here and there.
Exactly, I don't understand the logic behind that when many are also heavily lambasting the aggressively styled 3IS and now this one for obvious reasons. The only ones of this class I don't like are the C-Class, A4 B8 facelift, and the CTS to a lesser degree(non-CTS-V). Even then, they are all still decent and will sell well.
Old 01-12-13, 11:41 PM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes the Sonata did take from the FX. The problem for Infiniti is that the Sonata sells in much higher volume than the FX, and even if Infiniti was the originator, more people will probably associate the Q50 interior with the Sonata. This is just business as usual for Hyundai and the damage they are doing to premium brands.

Either way I'm not a huge fan of the interior. I think the design is very last generation. Most premium brands have largely abandoned the waterfall style center stack and moved on to hooded displays and remote controllers.
Old 01-12-13, 11:52 PM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Yes the Sonata did take from the FX. The problem for Infiniti is that the Sonata sells in much higher volume than the FX, and even if Infiniti was the originator, more people will probably associate the Q50 interior with the Sonata. This is just business as usual for Hyundai and the damage they are doing to premium brands.
Very true, as the average person wouldn't be able to deduce such a thing on first notice. Hyundai does this as they don't have to invest as much as premium brands in extra costs, so it's easy to sell their own version of a premium brand's interior at a much lower price. The thing is, over time people do forget where a design theme originated and if Hyundai had a modified form of it for a few years, it's easy to point fingers saying that any other new model copied them, like Infiniti. The only reverse oddity is the similarity of the W212 E-Class and the prior generation Sonata.
Old 01-13-13, 03:04 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Let us not act how some people have acted about the new IS, like brainless dolts. Lets take the high road and welcome the new Infiniti.

How about the next Acura competitor? Same high road? Or one time exception?
Old 01-13-13, 06:38 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Based on pics, this Q50 doesn't exactly move the needly forward like I was hoping. The front end looks a lot like the Maxima and I personally think mesh grilles are overplayed. On your sport model? Ok. On every car in your lineup? No. I hope these pics are of a sport model, and the standard car will carry on with Infiniti's horizontal chrome bars - I think they've done a nice job with them on some recent models.
I agree on the mesh grille. The new IS-F has a sort of mesh as well. The horizontal bars looks good on the new FX and I think they would on the Q50 as well.
Old 01-13-13, 07:06 AM
LexFather

Either way I'm not a huge fan of the interior. I think the design is very last generation. Most premium brands have largely abandoned the waterfall style center stack and moved on to hooded displays and remote controllers.
Except the Cadillac CTS debuted before them all with that waterfall. The FX really doesn't sport a waterfall, the centerstack is much more upright.

Originally Posted by pman6
How about the next Acura competitor? Same high road? Or one time exception?
They are not competitors, Acura isn't a luxury brand.

Last edited by LexFather; 01-13-13 at 07:17 AM.

Old 01-13-13, 07:16 AM
LH1
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 99 Posts

They are not competitors, Acura isn't a luxury brand.
lol

I hope they weren't counting on the ZDX to push them into tier 1 status.
Old 01-13-13, 08:14 AM
MikeSC4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cmk1
Ah, beat me to it. I've been typing that for awhile and noticed how everyone kept making it seem as if Infiniti copied Hyundai. We all should know better about how much work and time goes into development for cars. There should be at least a 18-24 month gap between start of production on various cars concerning interior design freezes and for exterior design, 24-42 months in order for copying to take place. If there is anything less than that, it is mere coincidence. Hyundai designed that interior in 2007-08 and Infiniti did theirs in late 2004/early 2005. I had the prior generation Sonata for several months, before it was replaced in late '07 with the G and remember how the early 2008 MY09 facelift of the Sonata NF ended up becoming closer to the Genesis interior, only for the MY2011 YF redesign to mimic the interior of my G35 (V36).
Yup, you can see that the 2004 Infiniti FX was a trend setter in interior design with the vertical A/C vents. Hyundai and Cadillac took notice.

Old 01-13-13, 08:24 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TangoRed
You, and the other folks who made the same point, are absolutely correct. I forgot about how Hyundai has ripped more than a few design cues from Infiniti and other brands. My bad.
Old 01-13-13, 08:59 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Initial B
I love it! Better looking than the IS, and the interior looks pretty nice (not as nice as the Lexus). Love the purple in the gauges a la the 2009 M35. I can already tell this will be more of a driver's car vs the IS, so a debadged Q50 will likely be in my garage in the future.
Woah woah, not so fast. Lexus is on a bit of a roll right now with the new GS (best handling car in its segment), the facelifted LS F-Sport and the current IS-F.

Since the new IS is based off the GS chassis, it stands to reason, unless the IS engineers screw up bigtime, that the IS will be very competitive if not class-leading in terms of handling. Let's wait for the testdrive first before proclaiming anything.
Old 01-13-13, 09:14 AM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

As a previous G35 owner, I really like the new style. It is new and exciting without being a polarizing as the new IS. Infiniti can't take really big chances with the Q50 since is serves both as their IS and ES. One of their stated goals with this new car was to reduce weight. If they are successful, the existing 330hp 3.7 liter engines will provide adequate performance. The real sport star of their line-up is the coupe which can have much wilder styling than the sedan. Rumor has an AMG style version of the coupe at around $100K which uses power train elements from the GTR.

This is a beginning of what could be an exciting rebirth for Infiniti.
Steve

Quick Reply: Infiniti Q50 thread