Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti Q50 thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-13, 02:28 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

so $7300 premium for hybrid? Seems a lot...

Hopefully it is better integrated than their M35h, which really got bad marks for everything vs GS450h and even BMW 5h.
Old 04-19-13, 06:40 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
so $7300 premium for hybrid? Seems a lot...
maybe the hybrid comes standard with more equipment?
Old 04-19-13, 08:11 AM
mrraider
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350

The Q is the first AWD hybrid sedan with a sport package from Japan and I certainly hope it will be a fun car

There are 2 Chicago dealers having preview nights in May

One of the dealers, Fields believes they will have a car to drive but they were not told which version it will be

I believe there is a training session at a track in Texas next week for the top performing sales people so if we are lucky, some intel about the driving experience will leak out after that

I am not sure the early buzz making is doing much as one dealer said vi was the first person to ask about the AWD hybrid
Where did you see the hybrid was available in AWD? I only see rwd pricing here.
Old 04-19-13, 08:20 AM
Outrage
Lead Lap

A loaded Q50 Hybrid AWD costs very close to a well equipped GS 350 AWD. The problem I see with that is the one is a loaded $37,000 car and the other is a loaded $48,000 car. The base price number determines a lot of the overall character of a vehicle. I have no qualms with the Q50 Hybrid's power output, which easily bests even the GS 450h (which is confined to RWD).

Last edited by Outrage; 04-19-13 at 08:23 AM.
Old 04-19-13, 09:39 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts

Mmraider

If you go to the Infiniti site and build one up you will find the AWD hybrid which can be had in regular or sport

The maxed out AWD hybrid sport is about $55K

I believe a similar AWD non hybrid sport is about $2k less so the hybrid option only adds about $2K
Old 05-09-13, 06:53 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 122 Likes on 95 Posts
Default Infiniti Q50 Dealer Events

So Infiniti is trying to get some buzz going for the new Q50

A couple of Chicagoland dealers near me have events this month

No car to drive (so a crappy event)

I went to Fields in Glencoe this evening

Classy dealership overall except for the drive through car wash

They had a loaded gray (painting was well done) on gray leather 3.7 AWD sport

The car nice presence

The 19 inch wheels have some gray finish that matched this particular color

The 14 inch rotors on the sport model are beyond sweet

The lights all looked cool. There has been a lot said about the LEDs being a knock off of the BMW 5 series but the nose of the car looks good (unlike the new IS)

Build quality and materials better than the G37

Interior design is good but not great. The material generally had a nice feel and *****/switches felt like they were good quality

Back seat is a huge improvement over my IS

Doors and trunk are well designed in terms of providing access

Double screen with touch for the lower was nicely done

Sport seats seem pretty good

Visibility from both the front and rear seats was good

Trunk space and design was good

I believe the non hybrids like the car I saw has a folding split rear seat and the hybrid just has a ski boot thingy

The small thing that always gets me is the headliner. My IS has this nice fuzzy material. The Q as chaepo trico similar to the stuff Caddy uses

I cannot understand why they embroider Infiniti into the seats or why anybody claiming to play in the luxury space (Caddy, this one is for you too) uses Bose (the infomercial brand) hifi

It is not clear if you can order the car without run craps (it looks like a no)

Infiniti has been taking a lot of crahp for no cooled seats and remote start and may be trying to add that content last minute

I asked about ordering a no exterior chrome car and the in Chicago dealer I spoke with said that would likely be something they can do in their shop.

Two folks at the Chicago dealer called me to please come to their event. I think I am the only person who expressed interest in the AWD hybrid. The first person wanted me to order one and I was like no test drive no order. Plus I am in the middle of buying another apartment building and lenders hate when you get your credit pulled by car dealers.

The second person wanted my input on how to order the hybrids she got initial allocations for so she will have something real customer are interested in when they arrive. My thought was early adopters like loaded toys so go that way.

The interior options are too limited, all black, grey with black carpet or stone with tan carpet. I would dig a medium brown leather with a deep brown carpet (why on earth do car companies offer tan carpets that look like crahp after a week and stay that way?

I got to speak with a Rep who drove sales people at the recent Texas training events. He said the AWD hybrid sport will do 0-60 in under 5 (nice). All the cars at the events were AWD. The only damage they did after beating the cars was to boil the brake fluid. When the tranny gets too hot it goes into safe mode.

Cars will start arriving in July

Looking forward to test driving one but overall I would rather be seated in a new GS in terms of feel (come on Lexus, you can do an AWD hybrid besides the too big for me LS)
Old 05-09-13, 07:43 PM
LexFather

Thanks for sharing. Its odd the press hasn't touched it or not been allowed to post their reports yet since the release is so close.

Old 05-09-13, 09:08 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Thanks for sharing. Its odd the press hasn't touched it or not been allowed to post their reports yet since the release is so close.
Not to stir a debate, but just to add to the "press" thing - with other automakers. Acura is doing the same with the RLX AWD Hybrid. Our Acura techs were able to play with a few same with journalists but there were disclosures and none are allowed to publish let alone really give their take on the car . Suffice to say one tech told me the car's powertrain is pretty awesome and it performs well, that said the car itself is meh
Old 05-10-13, 09:10 AM
Carmaker1
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 56 Posts

The lack of media coverage has been appalling compared to the 3IS, not including how at NAIAS, both the 3IS and Q50 were closed off on display. Having gotten a better look in March at Geneva and NYIAS, I've decided that the F32 2014 BMW 4er coupe is a better choice to replace my G35S. Since both Infiniti and Lexus refuse to offer manuals for the compact sedans and a manual RC isn't likely or due soon, I'll be looking elsewhere. A 6MT IS350 F-Sport would've been very promising, considering how mundane the Q50 interior is compared to it and service visits would be infrequent compared to BMW.
Old 05-10-13, 11:41 AM
Stormwind
Racer

Those execs are doing a great job at keeping the car under the radar and out of the media, it's a winning formula for slow sales and steep discounts right off the gate.
Old 05-10-13, 11:57 AM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never understood why they cut the G line to rename it the Q line...seriously these marketing bafoons get paid way too much to worsen the brand identity. Unbelievable.

This is equivalent to BMW renaming their 3 series a 7 series. Ridiculous.

10+ years of branding recognition pissed all down the drain in one big swoop. BMW and Benz would
never do this kind of stuff with the 3 and C class.

this is why I've never understood "business" school, or "marketing" school. You can't teach common sense. You either have it or u don't.

Last edited by Tantrix; 05-10-13 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-10-13, 02:18 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Tantrix
I never understood why they cut the G line to rename it the Q line...seriously these marketing bafoons get paid way too much to worsen the brand identity. Unbelievable.

10+ years of branding recognition pissed all down the drain in one big swoop. BMW and Benz would

this is why I've never understood "business" school, or "marketing" school. You can't teach common sense. You either have it or u don't.
So are they killing the G?? Seems unlikely. The Q is a bigger car I thought
Old 05-10-13, 03:09 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Tantrix

MB and BMW have been very successful with most their various models. Infiniti not so much. My guess is that the execs felt it was time to shake things up with the brand. With their relative low volume and brand recognition the risk isn't too great. I hope they do well.
Old 05-10-13, 03:47 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like you as confused as me!

It looks like they are replacing the G series with a new line called Q series. Strange since we both thought the Q series was their top of the line line-up.

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Old 05-10-13, 03:52 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
well, it is telling when even car fans dont understand it at all... basically, every Infiniti will be Q... no more G, M, J, or anything else... just Q like Audi uses A.

They are not killing the models, just replacing names... and it seems like cluster*uck to me.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Q50 thread