Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti Q50 thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-13, 04:17 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
well, it is telling when even car fans dont understand it at all... basically, every Infiniti will be Q... no more G, M, J, or anything else... just Q like Audi uses A.
It's really not that complicated..

Volvo uses S
Lincoln uses MK
Jaguar uses X
Audi uses A & Q

So Infiniti will use Q & QX for everything... ok fine.

IMO though, they should have just used "I" for Infiniti
Old 05-10-13, 04:25 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
well, it is telling when even car fans dont understand it at all... basically, every Infiniti will be Q... no more G, M, J, or anything else... just Q like Audi uses A.

They are not killing the models, just replacing names... and it seems like cluster*uck to me.
Infiniti and Acura are having an identity crisis. G and M both had meaning but they sought to confuse folks with Q50-70. Acura now has the ILX, TSX will be dropped. TL will become the TLX and RL become the RLX
Old 05-10-13, 04:30 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Sens4Miles
It's really not that complicated..

Volvo uses S
Lincoln uses MK
Jaguar uses X
Audi uses A & Q

So Infiniti will use Q & QX for everything... ok fine.

IMO though, they should have just used "I" for Infiniti
It is to consumers those are poor examples for the most part. Infiniti finally gained some sort of steam using G for example and wants to dump it for Q and QX when Audi now dominates with Q? How many people have already asked is the Q50 the Q45 replacement? Plenty.

Then the badge 3.7 is still on the actual car's front fenders so their excuse "oh we don't want to show displacement" makes no sense now.

They have upset their biggest following, the G owners who accounted for 60% of sales and are the backbone of the brand. You should appease them, not **** them off.

What to say 10 more years from now they won't change back or try something else?

Old 05-10-13, 05:01 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

I read somewhere that they will keep building G37 sedans to provide provide cheap lease cars

Is this correct and if so, would it get a Q designation?

Off topic, the grub at the event was off the charts, filet mignon sliders for example, an open bar and an opportunity to mingle

Also, I love sales people. The guy that invited me to the event at Fields said he would call the day of the event to let me know which iteration of the Q they would have on hand. The guy neither called or introduced himself that evening.

I overheard another sales guy telling a customer that the build quality for the Q has no match in the industry (like that guy has ever been in any car factory to have an informed opinion)
Old 05-10-13, 08:40 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Blueprint
It is to consumers those are poor examples for the most part. Infiniti finally gained some sort of steam using G for example and wants to dump it for Q and QX when Audi now dominates with Q? How many people have already asked is the Q50 the Q45 replacement? Plenty.

Then the badge 3.7 is still on the actual car's front fenders so their excuse "oh we don't want to show displacement" makes no sense now.
The only part of the new naming system that I don't get is the fact that they're sticking a "0" at the end of every model. Q50, Q60, Q70, etc.. well what happens when they want to expand their product line and offer more niche models? If they're starting with the Q50 as the entry level sedan and using the Q60 as the coupe version, then what about their new electric sedan that's coming? are they going to call it a Q40? Won't that give the perception that it's somehow "less" of a car than the Q50?

They should have at least called the coupe a Q55 or something.. showing customers that it's part of the Q50 entry level (which it is), not an entirely different line or somehow "above" the sedan version (which it's not).

By having each existing model end with "0", they will only have 2 more slots left available for any possible future coupe or sedan they might want to add (Q80 & Q90). Unless they want to go lower than Q50, which again would imply sub entry-level. It seems like they didn't think this through well enough

They have upset their biggest following, the G owners who accounted for 60% of sales and are the backbone of the brand. You should appease them, not **** them off.
No risk, no reward. They know the G has been a success. Probably too much so and it's overshadowed the entire brand. It seems they want to develop a sense of pride in the brand for their customers so that they will say they drive an "Infiniti" instead of saying they drive a "G37". Whether that will work out in the long run, who knows. Will be very interesting to see the first full month of sales numbers for the Q50.
Old 05-11-13, 01:14 AM
MelF1fan
Driver

Looks pretty good to me

Saw some info from MYG37 -

http://www.myg37.com/forums/future-m...-surprise.html

Old 05-11-13, 03:00 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Infiniti and Acura are having an identity crisis. G and M both had meaning but they sought to confuse folks with Q50-70. Acura now has the ILX, TSX will be dropped. TL will become the TLX and RL become the RLX
yep... it is confusing and makes no sense...
Old 05-11-13, 09:45 AM
LexFather

The only part of the new naming system that I don't get is the fact that they're sticking a "0" at the end of every model. Q50, Q60, Q70, etc.. well what happens when they want to expand their product line and offer more niche models? If they're starting with the Q50 as the entry level sedan and using the Q60 as the coupe version, then what about their new electric sedan that's coming? are they going to call it a Q40? Won't that give the perception that it's somehow "less" of a car than the Q50?

They should have at least called the coupe a Q55 or something.. showing customers that it's part of the Q50 entry level (which it is), not an entirely different line or somehow "above" the sedan version (which it's not).

By having each existing model end with "0", they will only have 2 more slots left available for any possible future coupe or sedan they might want to add (Q80 & Q90). Unless they want to go lower than Q50, which again would imply sub entry-level. It seems like they didn't think this through well enough

No risk, no reward. They know the G has been a success. Probably too much so and it's overshadowed the entire brand. It seems they want to develop a sense of pride in the brand for their customers so that they will say they drive an "Infiniti" instead of saying they drive a "G37". Whether that will work out in the long run, who knows. Will be very interesting to see the first full month of sales numbers for the Q50.
Yeah that strategy worked well for Acura. "q" is simply an awkward letter. This is a company that moved their headquarters from Japan to Hong Kong.

The car itself seems fine to me I'm sure it will sell/lease. I quite like it and the sport hybrid sounds like my cup of tea if I was interested.

Old 05-11-13, 02:22 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

car does look hot, but I think they wasted their money and efforts on a lost cause. The G was already well branded.

it kinda reminds me of when Acura went from the Legend Integra Vigor to TL RL TSX.

not sure about the TL and TSX but the RL has been a flop ever since the name change. Kinda strange how things worked since the Legend was the king of sedans back then. Now it's a nobody.
Old 05-11-13, 03:17 PM
Sens4Miles
Lead Lap

"q" is simply an awkward letter.
Tell that to Audi, Maserati, & now Jaguar (in addition to Infiniti).. since they are all using the letter "Q" somewhere in their current and future lineups.
Old 05-11-13, 03:37 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Dumb idea calling it the Q50. The G35/G37 has been a great seller and really the only reason their brand is still relevant. I love the larger M sedans too, but they just don't sell for some reason(personally I think they are poorly marketed).

Really I wish they'd use the JDM names on Acura, Infiniti, Lexus, etc instead of these stupid numbers/letters. Lexus is the only one who actually has sucessfully marketed the alphanumeric soup thing IMO.

Lexus LS= Celsior
Infiniti G35= Skyline
Lexus IS= Altezza
Infiniti M= Leopard
Lexus GS= Aristo

All of those are way cooler names than the letter crap IMO
Old 05-11-13, 04:08 PM
LexFather

Tell that to Audi, Maserati, & now Jaguar (in addition to Infiniti).. since they are all using the letter "Q" somewhere in their current and future lineups.
Lol grasping at straws again. Yeah that letter Q worked brilliantly for infiniti lets go back and rename everything after a failed product.

Brilliant

Hey Carnival, Rename all your cruise ships Titanic

Old 05-12-13, 02:03 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Infiniti G35= Skyline
Now that you mention it

Since Infiniti will only launching in Japan in 3-4 years time, will it launch as a Nissan over there? Will they call it the V36 Skyline?
Old 05-12-13, 08:05 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Hey Carnival, Rename all your cruise ships Titanic
oh geez hah
Old 05-12-13, 06:58 PM
McMuffin
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow that Grey Q50 posted above looks simply stunning. Infiniti has a hit on their hands. I can't wait to see what engine will be offered below the 3.7. Hopefully a great turbo 4 like the BMW 328i.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Q50 thread