Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti Q50 thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-13, 07:35 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
One of the guys on a Q50 forum snuck into a sales training session and the target competition is the 3 series, A4, IS and the TL

The secondary competitors are the C class, ES and ATS

The target market is a 35 year old married guy with at least one college degree with no kids, household income of $120k

I am kind of surprised that the C class would be a secondary competitor as I tend to lump the 3, A4 and C class as interchangeable (except for no RWD A4)
I think that's likely because the C-class typically leans to the luxury side of things. I also wouldn't be surprised if the C-class, on average, has a slightly higher-age buyer.
Old 06-27-13, 07:44 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

I kind of think the value equation Infiniti is playing is, look, for a little more money than you would pay for a 3 series we will give you nearly everything you would get in a 5 series.

My only real beef with the current IS after nearly 8 years is the lack of room in the back seat. I have not been in a 2014 IS and I am sure that is better. I am also sure the Q50 will be roomier than the new IS.

I think it will be good for Lexus to see that some loyal customers are jumping ship. The best illustration of how slow and lazy they have become can be illustrated from the point I have been making about the hump next.to the driver's right leg in the AWD IS. Lexus got blasted for it in 05 and they haven't addressed it in 13. Assuming an 8 year life cycle for the 3IS, that results in Lexus leaving a real and well known design flaw in place for 16 years.
Old 06-27-13, 07:45 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,399 Likes on 1,572 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Thats a killer combo and a recipe that could take me away from the Lexus family to be honest.
the employee pricing you have access to is another good reason!
Old 06-27-13, 08:56 PM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been watching videos on the car and it looks amazing, the tech is top notch and very advanced, it will handle like an Infiniti, and it is available in a hybrid that can give 36 mpg while still offering around 340-350 hp. Thats a killer combo and a recipe that could take me away from the Lexus family to be honest.
For what the car is offering it is pretty impressive, can't wait to see the rest of the lineup
Old 06-27-13, 08:58 PM
1sWt2GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

this new trend of fish grill up front is not really doing it for me!
Old 06-27-13, 09:44 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
'worth' is subjective. on the basis of fuel economy, no hybrid is worth it unless you drive a ZILLION miles a year and don't mind the trade-offs (small trunks, gutless prius, etc). but well done hybrid drivetrains like gs450h and ls600hL provide other benefits of quiet/smooth and mid-range power boost.
To me its worth it and the Q50 S on paper is highly appealing (until i drive it).

To many it is worth it. If people were not just hung up on the word "hybrid" like it means evil or something they would see in the case of the Q50 or GS 450h etc that its like another ICE engine option, it just ain't ICE. Is that V-6 worth it over an I-4? Is that V-8 worth it over a V-6? So why do people continue to say a hybrid "ain't worth it".

The Q50 hybrid is likely faster than the normal model, quieter, rarer, lower emissions with significantly better MPG since the 3.7 guzzles gas. 360hp for a little over 3k AND you get better MPG? Sounds better than a V-8 option to some people.

Originally Posted by xsh0tya
Which is funny because of the comparison to the GS and 5 series(Not sure if that was in the video posted here). Goes along with what Blueprint was saying can't go off one source.
Yeah I can't believe in 2013 people still use one source as the end all of reviews. infiniit even advertised the M35h vs the old GS 450h. How the hell is this GS competition? Are people for real? We just had this convo in the 4GS forum with TL supporters jumping the car to the GS level. Its utterly perplexing.

Originally Posted by S2000toIS350
I kind of think the value equation Infiniti is playing is, look, for a little more money than you would pay for a 3 series we will give you nearly everything you would get in a 5 series.

My only real beef with the current IS after nearly 8 years is the lack of room in the back seat. I have not been in a 2014 IS and I am sure that is better. I am also sure the Q50 will be roomier than the new IS.

I think it will be good for Lexus to see that some loyal customers are jumping ship. The best illustration of how slow and lazy they have become can be illustrated from the point I have been making about the hump next.to the driver's right leg in the AWD IS. Lexus got blasted for it in 05 and they haven't addressed it in 13. Assuming an 8 year life cycle for the 3IS, that results in Lexus leaving a real and well known design flaw in place for 16 years.
Flaw to you. The car sold like hotcakes and sold well till the end. I've now experienced/driven the new IS and its a good leap up. I do agree that the engines at this rate are simply no longer enticing, they are adequate now, no longer class leading like in 2006-2009 or so. No one has jumped ship, you are making it seem like Lexus sales have plummeted. They are rising and still 3rd. Again I am not dismissing that Lexus doesn't have huge opportunities in some areas.

We have seen that the IS sells, the G/errr Q sells and people can argue till they are blue in the face but they both sell and hit their targets. I don't see why both won't be any different this generation. The only thing that could happen is people don't like the styling of the IS or new Q50 and it becomes a disaster ala HS, TL, M37/56.....

Old 06-27-13, 11:34 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
the employee pricing you have access to is another good reason!
You got me Honestly it would be one of many reasons.

1. I dont need the room at all any more
2. I want my next car to be more fun and exciting to drive
3. I want more modern tech
4. I want better mpg
5. family member discount

right now my LS get 18-20 mpg mixed driving, it handles like a boat, and the nav is dated. That would be the only gripes I have with the car after close to three years of ownership. I would consider another LS F sport CPO for less than 55k down the line but I want to have more fun in my car then just cruising at high speed or easy passing on the highway. What the Q will not have is that flagship status and insulated feel but in the end I think I would welcome more exhaust noise and less body roll. The dash and console screen layout on the Q is also impressive. I would consider an GS350 also. They are a great alternative to the LS as well. Im sticking with my LS for 2-3 years longer but I have my eye on the horizon.

After owning a 2003 G35 that I bought in June of 2002 ( I was literally one of the first in the country to have one) I will not buy an early model of any car I ever buy again. I had issues with my G35 , GS350, and LS460 because every single one of them were the first year of the model. After two Larger Lexus sedans I have become a bit of a Lexus freak but may stray in the future or at least go a bit smaller.
Old 06-28-13, 05:07 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

You got me Honestly it would be one of many reasons.

1. I dont need the room at all any more
2. I want my next car to be more fun and exciting to drive
3. I want more modern tech
4. I want better mpg
5. family member discount

right now my LS get 18-20 mpg mixed driving, it handles like a boat, and the nav is dated. That would be the only gripes I have with the car after close to three years of ownership. I would consider another LS F sport CPO for less than 55k down the line but I want to have more fun in my car then just cruising at high speed or easy passing on the highway. What the Q will not have is that flagship status and insulated feel but in the end I think I would welcome more exhaust noise and less body roll. The dash and console screen layout on the Q is also impressive. I would consider an GS350 also. They are a great alternative to the LS as well. Im sticking with my LS for 2-3 years longer but I have my eye on the horizon.

After owning a 2003 G35 that I bought in June of 2002 ( I was literally one of the first in the country to have one) I will not buy an early model of any car I ever buy again. I had issues with my G35 , GS350, and LS460 because every single one of them were the first year of the model. After two Larger Lexus sedans I have become a bit of a Lexus freak but may stray in the future or at least go a bit smaller.
I'm kind of in the same boat as you as I drive a GS and hate the way it handles and it's just way too quiet for me. While I love the smooth comfortable ride of the Lexus the Infiniti will have more aftermarket parts for it, better exhaust sound, and will handle better.
Old 06-28-13, 05:26 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

As to people comparing Q50 to GS and 5 series, it is likely due to naming confusion.

As to 3IS sales, Toyota announced 10 days ago that they have sold 7600 3IS in japan in 30 days of sales, 10 months of their per-month plan (800 units). 72% of sales are for IS300h. To compare, complete Lexus lineup sells around 3k in Japan per month, plus there is cheaper new Crown model.
Old 06-28-13, 05:34 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by speedflex

Sweet looking car. I wish there were some driving impressions right now. Really like the wheel design. Probably the nicest ever for an Infiniti.
That's gorgeous! Great looking car. I like the looks of this thing better than the new 3-series.

Lease is up on my E93 in a year. Will definitely be taking a very close look at one of these.
Old 06-28-13, 05:36 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

I love everything about Infinity except for the exterior looks of their cars/SUVs. Before the last gen I loved the looks of the complete lineup. I didn't like the exterior of any of the last gen cars/SUVs except for the G series. With the way things are looking I don't think I am going to like any of the next gen exteriors either which is sad because that is the only thing I don't like about them. For some reason I personally don't like the exterior looks of the new Q50 (I think it is the headlights and grille) but I am going to have to see it in person first.
Old 06-28-13, 06:56 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,399 Likes on 1,572 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
If people were not just hung up on the word "hybrid" like it means evil or something they would see in the case of the Q50 or GS 450h etc that its like another ICE engine option, it just ain't ICE.
well car makers themselves are partly to blame by putting blue logos and "HYBRID" signs on their cars. also, hybrid models have typically only been offered 'loaded' to try to hide the large cost increase.

but the hybrid option is gradually coming down in price it seems, which is good, and hopefully car makers will do less to tart up cars with said drivetrain (maybe just the 'h' in the name is fine to me).

Is that V-6 worth it over an I-4? Is that V-8 worth it over a V-6? So why do people continue to say a hybrid "ain't worth it".
because unlike a v8 option which is about increased performance (and smoothness) hybrids were created specifically to lower fuel consumption (thus running cost) but they've come at tremendous additional initial cost so in that sense it "ain't worth it", plus hybrids like the Prius have had weak/quirky performance, and 'converted' sedans with other significant trade-offs (like losing half the trunk space and increased weight). lexus (and only lexus) decided to make ONE 'performance' model (GSh), but that doesn't change much.

but as i said, hybrids are getting better, heavy NiMH batteries will be a thing of the past in a few years, drive trains less quirky and the incremental cost will be less. and hopefully makers can stop all the badging. i still think it was/is a HUGE mistake by lexus to put all the hybrid models in a separate category on their website.

The Q50 hybrid is likely faster than the normal model, quieter, rarer, lower emissions with significantly better MPG since the 3.7 guzzles gas. 360hp for a little over 3k AND you get better MPG? Sounds better than a V-8 option to some people.
yup, sounds impressive!
Old 06-28-13, 07:25 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel350
I'm kind of in the same boat as you as I drive a GS and hate the way it handles and it's just way too quiet for me. While I love the smooth comfortable ride of the Lexus the Infiniti will have more aftermarket parts for it, better exhaust sound, and will handle better.
I understand that you drive the 2008 GS350 but the 2013 GS350 is in a completely different league handling wise. How good is it? The 2013 GS350 F-Sport pulls a faster slalom time than the 2012 BMW 335i Sport equipped with adaptive M suspension(as per MotorTrend).AND the 3 series is supposed to be the smaller more nimble car with superior power-weight ratio--yet the larger heavier GS beat it on the slalom.

I hope you won't let past experiences sway you from seeing the current reality : Lexus has really really stepped up in terms of chassis engineering and sporty engaging suspensions.(the new generation cars at least)

Aftermarket parts for the new IS should be more extensive than the G/Q50 since the IS sells worldwide while the G/Q50 is largely confined to the US/Japan.

Making a statement about handling is premature since literally NO-ONE has published a head-to-head of Q50 vs GS or Q50 vs IS yet. To keep things in perspective, the new IS and GS have been winning handling comparisons vs the Germans.

Not being a Lexus fanboy here since the Q50 hybrid is definitely on my cross-shopping list vs the GS450h and the IS300h.

Last edited by natnut; 06-28-13 at 07:29 AM.
Old 06-28-13, 07:45 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
As to 3IS sales, Toyota announced 10 days ago that they have sold 7600 3IS in japan in 30 days of sales, 10 months of their per-month plan (800 units). 72% of sales are for IS300h. To compare, complete Lexus lineup sells around 3k in Japan per month, plus there is cheaper new Crown model.
That is very, very encouraging news. I wish that Lexus would bring the IS 300h here...it would sell like CRAZY despite Lexus' excuse about CT and ESh having the market covered. I saw my first new IS last night...absolutely beautiful in person. The car looks extremely futuristic and aggressive, but also very refined and elegant:

As for the Q50, it would be my sincere hope that this car lands in the press with glowing reviews and sees lots of sales success. Infiniti clearly put a lot of work into it and I'd love to see the IS and Q50 give the Germans hell in this segment, especially since I think the 3 series is relatively vulnerable right now.
Old 06-28-13, 08:12 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

MP - they also said users mention that front styling is one of the main reaons for purchase.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Q50 thread