Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti Q50 thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-13, 08:26 AM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
I understand that you drive the 2008 GS350 but the 2013 GS350 is in a completely different league handling wise. How good is it? The 2013 GS350 F-Sport pulls a faster slalom time than the 2012 BMW 335i Sport equipped with adaptive M suspension(as per MotorTrend).AND the 3 series is supposed to be the smaller more nimble car with superior power-weight ratio--yet the larger heavier GS beat it on the slalom.

I hope you won't let past experiences sway you from seeing the current reality : Lexus has really really stepped up in terms of chassis engineering and sporty engaging suspensions.(the new generation cars at least)

Aftermarket parts for the new IS should be more extensive than the G/Q50 since the IS sells worldwide while the G/Q50 is largely confined to the US/Japan.

Making a statement about handling is premature since literally NO-ONE has published a head-to-head of Q50 vs GS or Q50 vs IS yet. To keep things in perspective, the new IS and GS have been winning handling comparisons vs the Germans.

Not being a Lexus fanboy here since the Q50 hybrid is definitely on my cross-shopping list vs the GS450h and the IS300h.
While the 2013 GS350 F-Sport is an amazing looking car and I'm sure it handles much better than my 2008 I'm still disappointed in the power output delivered by the new GS.
Old 06-28-13, 09:55 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
I spoke to a local dealer and they told me 80% are leased. Once the leases are the usual aggressive $300-$400 range I can't see how this won't sell like hotcakes again, even with the confusing name change. [/B]
I think most luxury cars are leased, but if you look at off lease/ used car sales, they are 3 or 4 times that of new car sales, its a formula that works and lease prices on the Q/G should probably be over inflated to 750 or 800, thats what the 09 Maxima was when it was new, give it 6 months to a year to come down to a normal range
Old 06-28-13, 09:57 AM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Car looks outstanding, perfectly proportioned.....though the exterior looks a bit dated....

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I Last but not least, it's time to overhaul the 3.7L V6 and stop trying to squeeze more and more power out of what they've got. I've driven a few G37s and M37s, and when you hustle the car, that engine does get a bit coarse and begins to show its age. Similarly, MPG is not particularly impressive and well behind the competition.
OMG! I hate the sound of this V6. It sounds like azz. Yes, I have been spoiled by V8s recently, but this engine just doesn't sound good at all to me....though it really does make these Infinitis scoot. For that reason alone, I could never buy an Infiniti (or a Nissan) with this V6.

Overall, I think Infiniti hit a double with this car. They did enough to get squarely on base, but are well short of a home run. New powertrains and a more forward-thinking interior would have gone a long way for a car that will be on the road for the next 6+ years.
Old 06-28-13, 11:21 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

I understand that you drive the 2008 GS350 but the 2013 GS350 is in a completely different league handling wise. How good is it? The 2013 GS350 F-Sport pulls a faster slalom time than the 2012 BMW 335i Sport equipped with adaptive M suspension(as per MotorTrend).AND the 3 series is supposed to be the smaller more nimble car with superior power-weight ratio--yet the larger heavier GS beat it on the slalom.

I hope you won't let past experiences sway you from seeing the current reality : Lexus has really really stepped up in terms of chassis engineering and sporty engaging suspensions.(the new generation cars at least)

Aftermarket parts for the new IS should be more extensive than the G/Q50 since the IS sells worldwide while the G/Q50 is largely confined to the US/Japan.

Making a statement about handling is premature since literally NO-ONE has published a head-to-head of Q50 vs GS or Q50 vs IS yet. To keep things in perspective, the new IS and GS have been winning handling comparisons vs the Germans.

Not being a Lexus fanboy here since the Q50 hybrid is definitely on my cross-shopping list vs the GS450h and the IS300h.
The G series has always had better aftermarket because it shares the same suspension and powertrain as the 370Z. This probably won't change in the new Q so I expect way more goodies for the Q series (like turbos ).

I hope the new Q took some lessons from the GTR in the handling department....lets see how the reviews come in.
Old 06-28-13, 02:17 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

The new pictures are looking better, I hope this is a hit for Infiniti, the coupe is the car I am really interested in though.
Old 06-28-13, 03:13 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
As to people comparing Q50 to GS and 5 series, it is likely due to naming confusion.

As to 3IS sales, Toyota announced 10 days ago that they have sold 7600 3IS in japan in 30 days of sales, 10 months of their per-month plan (800 units). 72% of sales are for IS300h. To compare, complete Lexus lineup sells around 3k in Japan per month, plus there is cheaper new Crown model.
They sell great in Japan because the people are tiny and an IS is something to aspire to. Most Americans think the IS is tiny and might as well be a two door because you cant fit a normal sized adult in the US into that tiny back seat. When the 2IS came out my wife was going to buy one over her Acura TL and when we saw the backseat I told her she might as well just get a coupe. I think it will sell here . Just for reference 35.7% of Americans are Obese and over 50% are over weight. Add this on top of the fact that Asians are usually not as tall as westerners and its a formula for sales that include mainly the young and childless or people with small bodies and tiny kids. LOL Now Im not saying the Q50 is an LS460L in terms of back seat space but an inch or so will go a long way in comfort
Old 06-28-13, 03:18 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Diesel350
I'm kind of in the same boat as you as I drive a GS and hate the way it handles and it's just way too quiet for me. While I love the smooth comfortable ride of the Lexus the Infiniti will have more aftermarket parts for it, better exhaust sound, and will handle better.
My GS350 was slammed on Tein CST coilovers with EDFC to stiffen the damping with the F sport sway bars and the car still handled like ****. My tuned Infiniti was like a track car. I still cant believe that the Nismo sway bars I bought for the car were 36mm in the front and 22 mm in the rear. Some people think Im mistaken because the bars were so thick but Nismo sway bars were that big. I think the thicker F sport sway bars were 24 and 17mm ( Not sure but it was a lot smaller ) not to mention the GS weighed about 350 lbs more than my G35. Infiniti has much more after market support for performance. Lexus is pretty much purely cosmetic. There are relatively few bolt on part for Lexus and if there is there is nobody that I know who does ECU tuning on a Lexus. Technosquare in LA does the Gs and there are multiple in AZ I have heard can tune the ECU like dynocomp racing in Scottsdale

Last edited by I8ABMR; 06-28-13 at 03:24 PM.
Old 06-28-13, 03:29 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

The Q50 name is completely illogical. Mainly because Infiniti IMO had a lot of goodwill and name recognition in the G35 and G37 moniker. The Q thing is stupid, I bet a lot of the mis-informed and non-car enthusiast public will think Infiniti canned the G37 and doesn't sell a car like that anymore.

I know Audi uses a similar naming convention, but it makes a lot more sense IMO since its just one number. Bigger the number, the bigger the car and price tag.
Old 06-28-13, 03:50 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
They sell great in Japan because the people are tiny and an IS is something to aspire to. Most Americans think the IS is tiny and might as well be a two door because you cant fit a normal sized adult in the US into that tiny back seat. When the 2IS came out my wife was going to buy one over her Acura TL and when we saw the backseat I told her she might as well just get a coupe. I think it will sell here . Just for reference 35.7% of Americans are Obese and over 50% are over weight. Add this on top of the fact that Asians are usually not as tall as westerners and its a formula for sales that include mainly the young and childless or people with small bodies and tiny kids. LOL Now Im not saying the Q50 is an LS460L in terms of back seat space but an inch or so will go a long way in comfort
2IS was tiny... this new one should have much bigger back seat, wheelbase is almost the same as 3GS.

as to why it sell in Japan - 2IS didnt sell well, this one is selling excellent due to crazy looks :-)
Old 06-28-13, 05:32 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

I stopped by the dealer on my way home this afternoon

They had a red 250 AWD locked up outside

In the show room they had a gray 350 AWD F Sport

The back seat is now so so (2IS was plain weak in back)

The front seat are nice

I keep beating a dead horse with the AWD hump to the right of the driver's right leg but that thing is huge and intrusive

The interior was fine overall design and build wise

I hate the front bumper on the F sport, the regular one is ok.

The 18 inch wheels now look to smaill

The car has a more modern look and feel

Not the car for me anymore but I hope they do well with it
Old 06-28-13, 08:57 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
2IS was tiny... this new one should have much bigger back seat, wheelbase is almost the same as 3GS.

as to why it sell in Japan - 2IS didnt sell well, this one is selling excellent due to crazy looks :-)
I think " Much bigger backseat might be a stretch ". Bigger yes but I doubt its going to be as big as the GS
Old 06-29-13, 02:28 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I think " Much bigger backseat might be a stretch ". Bigger yes but I doubt its going to be as big as the GS
Just came back from the Lexus showroom where I sat in the new IS.

"Much bigger backseat" is about right. It's not just the increase in leg space, the space for the shoulders and headroom is appreciably more than the older 2IS. In fact, I would say that the rear space is just slightly less than the current 4GS. Is the 4GS more comfortable and noticeably more spacious? Yes, but the 3IS is no longer a 4-door coupe in terms of rear seating.

In fact, I'd wager that a rear seat passenger would be more comfortable in a 2014 3IS than a 2012 previous generation 3GS simply due to the superior interior packaging of the 3IS.
Old 06-29-13, 08:01 AM
<VENOM>
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
The Q50 name is completely illogical. Mainly because Infiniti IMO had a lot of goodwill and name recognition in the G35 and G37 moniker. The Q thing is stupid, I bet a lot of the mis-informed and non-car enthusiast public will think Infiniti canned the G37 and doesn't sell a car like that anymore.

I know Audi uses a similar naming convention, but it makes a lot more sense IMO since its just one number. Bigger the number, the bigger the car and price tag.
Car names don't mean anything, enthusiast are looking at the car not the name, the others will buy whatever they can get their hands on and what fits into the budget.
Old 06-29-13, 02:03 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Just came back from the Lexus showroom where I sat in the new IS.

"Much bigger backseat" is about right. It's not just the increase in leg space, the space for the shoulders and headroom is appreciably more than the older 2IS. In fact, I would say that the rear space is just slightly less than the current 4GS. Is the 4GS more comfortable and noticeably more spacious? Yes, but the 3IS is no longer a 4-door coupe in terms of rear seating.

In fact, I'd wager that a rear seat passenger would be more comfortable in a 2014 3IS than a 2012 previous generation 3GS simply due to the superior interior packaging of the 3IS.
good to know. I wil look when I go in next. The bottom line is that I would wager that the rear leg room in the Q50 will be better. This would be based on the last 2 generations G35/37 and the last 2 generations IS. In the end you never really know
Old 06-29-13, 02:35 PM
M45owner
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I hate the new models all starting to "Q". And I am not a fan of the Q50 at all. I have an M45, love it...was eyeballing the M56, just haven't made the leap.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Q50 thread