Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti Q50 thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-13, 09:43 AM
Mr. Burns
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I suspect over the long term this car won't do as well as the G37. They made it too big and too soft.
Old 07-19-13, 09:45 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

More like poorly matched tires on the non-sport version. Kind of an odd review, honestly. Very curious they handed out a non-S model.

Edit: Word on the street is that this was a rushed review, and the Infiniti won't let any full reviews be done until the software update arrives.

Last edited by TangoRed; 07-19-13 at 10:11 AM.
Old 07-19-13, 10:26 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
I suspect over the long term this car won't do as well as the G37. They made it too big and too soft.
yep, doesn't need to be bigger....I'd buy an M if I wanted something bigger.
Old 07-19-13, 10:29 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

The cabin materials are near the top of it's class
Old 07-19-13, 10:36 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,464 Likes on 1,617 Posts

the bronze one in pic looks GREAT
Old 07-19-13, 11:00 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts
Default Infiniti G37 to live on in showrooms alongside 2014 Q50

Infiniti G37 to live on in showrooms alongside 2014 Q50

Infiniti is preparing to roll out its hotly anticipated 2014 Q50, a car that not only ushers in a new alphanumeric naming strategy, it ostensibly replaces the G37 as the brand's bread-and-butter sport sedan. That will happen, but not in the short-term, as the G37 will continue to be manufactured and sold alongside the Q50, at least for the rest of this year.

Infiniti spokesman Kyle Bazemore has confirmed to Autoblog that a decision is pending on how long to extend the G37 sedan's production run. "We're taking Q50 up a little bit, and that allows us to keep the G Sedan in the lineup... It [Q50] certainly started as a replacement, but it ended up being much more than that." Confusingly, Infiniti has already announced that the Q50 is to start at $37,605 (including $905 destination charge), yet the 2013 G37 is more expensive, starting at $38,255 delivered according to Infiniti's consumer website. Thus, a price drop on the G37 is likely coming in short order.

So why hold on to the older model? With the Q50 launching exclusively with V6 and Hybrid models (a turbo four and diesel are said to be in the cards down the road), Infiniti evidently feels it is risking leaving lower-end sales on the table. "There's a lot of movement with the [BMW] 320i and such, and this allows us a two-tier strategy to compete," says Bazemore. Keeping the G37 on tap at a lower price for fleet sale duty may also serve to protect the Q50 as it establishes itself on the market.

For the moment, Infiniti is still determining whether to continue G37 sedan production beyond the 2013 model year, and some of that may depend on the arrival time of its new entry-level front-wheel drive model, expected to be dubbed Q30. A decision is likely to be made over the next few weeks. Adding to the confusion, the existing G37 Coupe and Convertible will be immediately rebranded as the 2014 Q60 Coupe and Convertible, even though they won't be based on the new Q50.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/07/19/i...side-2014-q50/
Old 07-19-13, 11:46 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

Infiniti is preparing to roll out its hotly anticipated 2014 Q50, a car that not only ushers in a new alphanumeric naming strategy, it ostensibly replaces the G37 as the brand's bread-and-butter sport sedan. That will happen, but not in the short-term, as the G37 will continue to be manufactured and sold alongside the Q50, at least for the rest of this year.

Infiniti spokesman Kyle Bazemore has confirmed to Autoblog that a decision is pending on how long to extend the G37 sedan's production run. "We're taking Q50 up a little bit, and that allows us to keep the G Sedan in the lineup... It [Q50] certainly started as a replacement, but it ended up being much more than that." Confusingly, Infiniti has already announced that the Q50 is to start at $37,605 (including $905 destination charge), yet the 2013 G37 is more expensive, starting at $38,255 delivered according to Infiniti's consumer website. Thus, a price drop on the G37 is likely coming in short order.

So why hold on to the older model? With the Q50 launching exclusively with V6 and Hybrid models (a turbo four and diesel are said to be in the cards down the road), Infiniti evidently feels it is risking leaving lower-end sales on the table. "There's a lot of movement with the [BMW] 320i and such, and this allows us a two-tier strategy to compete," says Bazemore. Keeping the G37 on tap at a lower price for fleet sale duty may also serve to protect the Q50 as it establishes itself on the market.

For the moment, Infiniti is still determining whether to continue G37 sedan production beyond the 2013 model year, and some of that may depend on the arrival time of its new entry-level front-wheel drive model, expected to be dubbed Q30. A decision is likely to be made over the next few weeks. Adding to the confusion, the existing G37 Coupe and Convertible will be immediately rebranded as the 2014 Q60 Coupe and Convertible, even though they won't be based on the new Q50.

I sometimes wonder what Infiniti management is doing. Lets rename our whole lineup to strengthen branding but lets confuse our customers by keeping the older cars in inventory

They should have leveraged the GTR a little to build the new Q50...3.8L turbo w/ DSG would have been sweeeet
Old 07-19-13, 04:04 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EZZ
I sometimes wonder what Infiniti management is doing. Lets rename our whole lineup to strengthen branding but lets confuse our customers by keeping the older cars in inventory

They should have leveraged the GTR a little to build the new Q50...3.8L turbo w/ DSG would have been sweeeet
+1. An Infiniti GTR based car would be awesome. It would have given the company a halo car without having to spend a fortune like Lexus. Fire all the MBA's!
Old 07-19-13, 04:45 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ

i have no idea whats going on... first review came out and it says that handling sucks, and that was without the new drive by wire, which should make it even more sucky. Rest of the reviews for this car are still being blocked by Infiniti.

I sense failure of epic proportions.
Old 07-19-13, 04:49 PM
mrraider
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Burns
Worked for BMW.
Old 07-19-13, 04:53 PM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

With great ideas like this no wonder Infiniti is at the bottom of the Luxury brands.

Wtf are they smoking??? This will kill Q50 sales and name recognition even more.
Old 07-19-13, 04:59 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TangoRed
More like poorly matched tires on the non-sport version. Kind of an odd review, honestly. Very curious they handed out a non-S model.

Edit: Word on the street is that this was a rushed review, and the Infiniti won't let any full reviews be done until the software update arrives.
IS has "poor" tires too... I mean 60.9 mph in slalom is terrible... Regular Camry with 215/55/17 tires handles better... thats just crazy.

Plus it is uncomfortable with those 55 series tires... thats just funny.

What will happen when they test their drive by wire steering?
Old 07-19-13, 05:28 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
With great ideas like this no wonder Infiniti is at the bottom of the Luxury brands.

Wtf are they smoking??? This will kill Q50 sales and name recognition even more.
they are trying to pretend as if it is GS, 5, E class competitor, so they can tell their customers that they can save 10k-20k compared to those cars

;-)
Old 07-19-13, 07:46 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
The interior styling is horrendous on the Q50.....looks at least a Decade old already!

Not a fan of the rear either.

The rear end looks looks like a Kia Optima rip-off. Which is a shame because that car looks a lot nicer from the front/front 3/4 view.

As for the interior, the shifter is very, well phallic. Looks like a sex toy IMO.

As for Nissan's marketing strategy to sell the old model right next to the new one, they ripped a page right out of the old General Motors handbook. Any time GM introduces a new truck, you can still buy the old model instead, same model year and everything. They've done the same thing every time they redesign the Malibu as well. At least at GM they were smart enough to call them Malibu classic or Silverado classic so you knew it was the old body style, instead of renaming the car's replacement and selling them both side by side to confuse people.
Old 07-19-13, 08:03 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

trust me when I say the sport version will not upset. Infiniti knows how to make a car fun to drive. They just need some refinement and better economy . Seems like they nailed it

Quick Reply: Infiniti Q50 thread