Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti Q50 thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-13, 11:03 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Another less-than-stellar review, this time by MotorTrend: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...0s_first_test/

Waiting on C&D to weigh in.
I wouldn't call that a bad review. Remember this is the first year model. I had the original 2003 G35 I purchased in June in 2002. I was literally one of the first people in the country to have one. It was a great car but had MANY tweaks in revisions in the first 2-3 years. After 2006 they were pretty solid and spot on. I am sure they will be tweaking this new top seller in the near future.
Old 08-01-13, 10:49 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I wouldn't call that a bad review. Remember this is the first year model. I had the original 2003 G35 I purchased in June in 2002. I was literally one of the first people in the country to have one. It was a great car but had MANY tweaks in revisions in the first 2-3 years. After 2006 they were pretty solid and spot on. I am sure they will be tweaking this new top seller in the near future.
Difference is that the G35 won Car of the Year and many many many reviews were GLOWING relative to the competition. Compare those reviews with the latest for the Q50 and i don't see the Q50 winning many of these comparos. I also have a G35 coupe and relative to the competition, it was the best car in the class at the time. Since that time, i've driven every iteration after and the drive doesn't feel much different...it seems they really haven't improved all that much since then Sure materials have improved and the car has become more refined but nothing has made me run out and replace my current coupe. The Q50 is a variant of the last gen G37 in terms of chassis...seems like another evolutionary step for the next 8 years.
Old 08-01-13, 12:59 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Difference is that the G35 won Car of the Year and many many many reviews were GLOWING relative to the competition. Compare those reviews with the latest for the Q50 and i don't see the Q50 winning many of these comparos. I also have a G35 coupe and relative to the competition, it was the best car in the class at the time. Since that time, i've driven every iteration after and the drive doesn't feel much different...it seems they really haven't improved all that much since then Sure materials have improved and the car has become more refined but nothing has made me run out and replace my current coupe. The Q50 is a variant of the last gen G37 in terms of chassis...seems like another evolutionary step for the next 8 years.
OK I see your point. I totally forgot it was car of the year when it came out. In fact I still have all of the old magazines from when it first came out and beat the bimmer. This is where my forum name came from. Its the plate on my old G35. I8ABMR = I ate a bimmer.
Old 08-01-13, 01:02 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
OK I see your point. I totally forgot it was car of the year when it came out. In fact I still have all of the old magazines from when it first came out and beat the bimmer. This is where my forum name came from. Its the plate on my old G35. I8ABMR = I ate a bimmer.
hahaha. Cool name Think i'm gonna give the IS350 F-sport a hard look. If I hear of a mid-cycle engine refresh, i'd definitely wait for it
Old 08-01-13, 01:13 PM
mrraider
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I'll see how deep the discounts go for the IS and Q in a couple years before buying one. I think the IS is the better car now...not liking the new steering reviews for the Q
Get the non sport version without teh fancy steering, drop the supsension and get some summer tires.
Old 08-01-13, 02:02 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mrraider
Get the non sport version without teh fancy steering, drop the supsension and get some summer tires.
True...whats shocking is that the IS350F is cheaper than a fully loaded Q I thought Infiniti was supposed to be a poor man's BMW/Lexus
Old 08-01-13, 03:03 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
True...whats shocking is that the IS350F is cheaper than a fully loaded Q I thought Infiniti was supposed to be a poor man's BMW/Lexus
At the same time, Infiniti is trying to elevate itself. The JX cabin materials are excellent, and the Q50 is also very good. Infact I find them better than some of the plastics in the 3IS which is a major gripe of mine
Old 08-01-13, 03:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,464 Likes on 1,617 Posts

GREAT looking, uh, car.
Old 08-01-13, 03:30 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
At the same time, Infiniti is trying to elevate itself. The JX cabin materials are excellent, and the Q50 is also very good. Infact I find them better than some of the plastics in the 3IS which is a major gripe of mine
interesting enough that members of G35 forums noticed in Motor Trend review the infamous seat bubbling issue in the Q50 test vehicle.

As usual with Nissan, quality is skin deep :-)
Old 08-01-13, 06:51 PM
LexFather

Been real quiet on forums ... Not the reviews they want or need. That said if they still lease them for $300-$400 they will sell them all.

You want the sportiest Asian luxury car, Lexus is now the place.

Old 08-02-13, 08:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ

If you want the truth, based on driving-dynamics, Mazda is probably the true Poor Man's BMW. Buick, at least to an to an extent, is now becoming the Poor Man's Lexus.
Old 08-02-13, 10:06 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If you want the truth, based on driving-dynamics, Mazda is probably the true Poor Man's BMW. Buick, at least to an to an extent, is now becoming the Poor Man's Lexus.
Buick is not the poor mans Lexus since Lexus now handles better than BMW in many cases. I think people holding on to old notions or trying to paint an entire brand one color look out of date and almost foolish.

Times have changed.

Old 08-02-13, 10:48 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, the more real-life photos I see of this "thing", the more comical it looks .

It's like an exaggerated version of the Infiniti M, almost like a Japanese Hyundai.
Old 08-02-13, 11:33 AM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

With how ugly the asian sports sedans look, the choice is easy. Buy german.

The japanese seem to have been watching too much Pokemon
Old 08-02-13, 12:30 PM
SimTide985
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pman6
With how ugly the asian sports sedans look, the choice is easy. Buy german.

The japanese seem to have been watching too much Pokemon
That makes no sense.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Q50 thread