Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti Q50 thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-13, 12:50 PM
SimTide985
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a little review from my first look at the Q50.

Infiniti Q50 thread-rbzbtks.jpg

So I went to my local Infiniti dealer for a service appointment and as I was riding my car up the ramp towards the customer parking lot, I noticed an Obsidian Black Q50 Sport sitting in the front of the building. After I dropped off my key with the service guy and sat in the waiting room with my lunch, the Sales Manager walked by and recognized me and talked to me.

Infiniti Q50 thread-lflafis.jpg

He immediately told me about the Q50's being in and he invited me to take a look at the one that was outside. So after I finished my lunch, I found him and I took my official first good look at the car. As mentioned, it was an Obsidian Black Premium Sport RWD with Nav and Spare Tire Packages. It had Stone interior with aluminum trim (the latter of which I'm not a fan of).

Infiniti Q50 thread-s1ut5ia.jpg

Exterior:
Pretty much as I expected. I'm not sure if it was because it was raining and very gloomy out, but the Black didn't stand out that much to me. With a darker paint littered with raindrops, it was harder to see all of the curves and angles of the car and it's quite a shame. I still like how the 19" wheels look on the car as well as the contrast with the darker grille. I also turned on the lights and the hazards to take a look at the new running lights. Another thing I really like is the new trunk release/scoop which makes opening and accessing the trunk so much easier.

Interior:
The first thing I noticed was how aesthetically premium everything felt. From the doors, to the seats, to the center console, Infiniti has maintained its premium presence very well in the cabin. I really liked how the additional Bose speakers are integrated into the doors. They look very artful and not an afterthought. This is also my first time seeing the multi-color striped pattern seats of the Sport seats. I think they add a lot of additional style and flavor to the car, which helps to substantiate the race-like motivations of the car.

Infiniti Q50 thread-gvswu9x.jpg

Another thing that I really loved about the interior is the new steering wheel. The wheel seems a bit more smaller in diameter and stocky (which I like) and the material feels really good to the touch as well as the buttons. The controls on the wheel feel a lot more solid and user-friendly in their position than the current G. I figured out how to use them immediately.

Infiniti Q50 thread-saomwz3.jpg

Infotainment:
-The first thing I wanted to test was the new little navigation **** and controls at the center. It's very slick and ergonomic. I do agree that the navigation top screen resolution seems to be a little "wonky", but it wasn't a huge deal I suppose. I think I'd have to spend more time with it. As for the Intouch interaction, I thought it was also very easy to use and much easier to use compared to anything I've seen in a Chrysler, Lexus, BMW, or Cadillac. The touch screen components and menus for the most part were quick to navigate--just as quick as they are in the current G at least. My only complaint is that there still seemed to be a lot of lag in the response to the touch screen when it came to the smaller pressing points/buttons.

Infiniti Q50 thread-qkrw0wy.jpg

All of the rest of the cars in the lot still had their Intouch Software update stickers put on the inside and weren't available for testing. The color I was most surprised by was the Chestnut Bronze! It has a lot more pop and shine to it in person compared to how it looks in photos. The Venetian Ruby and Graphite Shadow also did not disappoint! The Hagane Blue still looked very sharp as well as the Moonlight White.

Infiniti Q50 thread-yjhfrid.jpg

Infiniti Q50 thread-y12rnwg.jpg

I'm really hoping I can take a closer look at the Graphite interior when it's not covered in factory plastics. I also gazed through one of the windows at the wood trim and it looks gorgeous, IMO! I guess I'm sold on that. Also, what I noticed is just what a leap and step up the styling of the Q50 is compared to the G37. I stood in between my G37 and the Q50 and it was then that I really noticed how dated the styling looked overall.

Infiniti Q50 thread-h3zzuqt.jpg

All in all, I'm really pumped to actually get one of these out on the road in a few weeks or so, but hopefully when they've got one ready for me fully loaded so that I can decide whether or not I still want to opt out of the Technology Package (all of the cool gadgets and features are growing on me!). What I can verify for myself at this moment is that I'm totally sold on the Chestnut Bronze as a color as my new #1.

Infiniti Q50 thread-0u4lmb0.jpg
Old 08-02-13, 01:24 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by SimTide985
That makes no sense.
its typical

Old 08-02-13, 01:59 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If you want the truth, based on driving-dynamics, Mazda is probably the true Poor Man's BMW. Buick, at least to an to an extent, is now becoming the Poor Man's Lexus.
Mazda is mostly wrong wheel drive so they disqualify themselves.
Old 08-02-13, 02:25 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Mazda is mostly wrong wheel drive so they disqualify themselves.
Mazda is considered the BMW of Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Subaru, Mitsubishi, and Suzuki because their cars handle best in their respective segments.

Mazda3 slays Civic, Corolla, Sentra, Impreza.

Not to mention they make the massive CX-9 feel like driving something a class smaller
Old 08-02-13, 02:29 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I think its a handsome sedan , and as always if its not the top of the line version it looks like crap. You have to have S to get the real idea of what they were trying to do. It seems like Lexus woke up the IS finally and Infiniti mellowed the Q because the G was maybe too stiff and too throttle sensitive. I am looking forward to seeing the cars in this segment battle. The evolution of the segment has been amazing and the competition is just getting closer and closer . Who would have thought that one day Lexus sedans would handle better than the newest BMWs.
Old 08-02-13, 03:47 PM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All in all, I'm really pumped to actually get one of these out on the road in a few weeks or so, but hopefully when they've got one ready for me fully loaded so that I can decide whether or not I still want to opt out of the Technology Package (all of the cool gadgets and features are growing on me!). What I can verify for myself at this moment is that I'm totally sold on the Chestnut Bronze as a color as my new #1.

That's a really sharp looking car. I LOVE the looks. Like it better than the BMWs, Lexus, Acura, and heck maybe even the Audis too. And I really like the Audi design language. Too bad from the reviews that it doesn't seem to be the "kind" of car I'm looking for.
Old 08-02-13, 04:37 PM
mrraider
Pole Position

The ATS, IS and 3 seem to be top dog in this class, for the forseeable future. The GM and Lexus are slated for improvements over their product cycle. I wonder what the 3 has up it's sleeve.
Old 08-02-13, 04:46 PM
SimTide985
Driver

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
That's a really sharp looking car. I LOVE the looks. Like it better than the BMWs, Lexus, Acura, and heck maybe even the Audis too. And I really like the Audi design language. Too bad from the reviews that it doesn't seem to be the "kind" of car I'm looking for.
No "too bad"!!

Everyone's driving style is different. Go out and give it a test drive next week.
Old 08-02-13, 05:10 PM
bruteshot2
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
Wow, the more real-life photos I see of this "thing", the more comical it looks .

It's like an exaggerated version of the Infiniti M, almost like a Japanese Hyundai.
A lot of people actually saying the tail lights remind them of Hyundai tail lights
Old 08-02-13, 05:14 PM
bruteshot2
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

But I can't deny, the front three-quarter's view is pretty nice.
Old 08-02-13, 05:19 PM
SimTide985
Driver

Originally Posted by bruteshot2
A lot of people actually saying the tail lights remind them of Hyundai tail lights
I hope that's not necessarily a bad thing.

I don't know why people like to act like it's a bad thing when you can see similarities between cars. The similarities can be extremely minor, but people will go out of their way to make it seem like an issue.

If it looks good, then say it looks good. Don't undermine a design just because it reminds you of something you've seen before.

Infiniti Q50 thread-poun3t4.jpg

Name:  DSC01208.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  464.6 KB

Actually the Q50 taillight design originated back in 2009 with the Infiniti Essence concept anyway...

Old 08-02-13, 05:28 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411

Mazda is considered the BMW of Honda, Toyota, Nissan, Subaru, Mitsubishi, and Suzuki because their cars handle best in their respective segments.

Mazda3 slays Civic, Corolla, Sentra, Impreza.

Not to mention they make the massive CX-9 feel like driving something a class smaller
True but they offer nothing in IS or Q segment. I'm sure the six handles awesome...compared to its segment but compare it to anything in this class and it'll stick out like a sore thumb. Blame wrong wheel drive
Old 08-02-13, 08:30 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bruteshot2
It's not the taillights that are my issue. The tails to me actually look pretty good. Besides, they don't look like Hyundai tails, because Hyundai copied that taillight design from the Japanese.

What bothers me are all the goofy, exaggerated creases, wavy character lines, and just the general styling theme where everything looks too stretched, too bulbous, too overdone.
Old 08-02-13, 09:20 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

That makes no sense.
sure it does. The japanese cars have front ends that look influenced by japanese cartoons.
Old 08-02-13, 09:23 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I've always liked waterfall style center stacks. Too bad no one uses it anymore outside of infiniti and cadillac

Infiniti Q50 thread-saomwz3.jpg

Quick Reply: Infiniti Q50 thread