Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti Q50 thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-13, 09:48 PM
SimTide985
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pman6
sure it does. The japanese cars have front ends that look influenced by japanese cartoons.
Are you seriously doing this?
Old 08-02-13, 10:16 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
That's a really sharp looking car. I LOVE the looks. Like it better than the BMWs, Lexus, Acura, and heck maybe even the Audis too. And I really like the Audi design language. Too bad from the reviews that it doesn't seem to be the "kind" of car I'm looking for.
car looks fine... interior has some good looking materials but overall old school shapes.

it is pretty decent, just like any Infiniti and Nissan product - if you look at the paper specs, and pictures, its all great...
Old 08-03-13, 07:24 AM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy
It's not the taillights that are my issue. The tails to me actually look pretty good. Besides, they don't look like Hyundai tails, because Hyundai copied that taillight design from the Japanese.

What bothers me are all the goofy, exaggerated creases, wavy character lines, and just the general styling theme where everything looks too stretched, too bulbous, too overdone.
Yeah, if there's one word for this car's styling that I'd use, it's overdone. I'm not a fan of the Lexus spindle grill either for that reason.
Old 08-03-13, 08:12 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by TRDFantasy

It's not the taillights that are my issue. The tails to me actually look pretty good. Besides, they don't look like Hyundai tails, because Hyundai copied that taillight design from the Japanese.

What bothers me are all the goofy, exaggerated creases, wavy character lines, and just the general styling theme where everything looks too stretched, too bulbous, too overdone.
I think the best looking car Infiniti has produced was the 1st gen G35 coupe. That generation M34/45 also looked great. I was so disappointed that Infiniti didn't produce the g coupe concept...instead went the bulbous route with the G37. It's been kinda downhill since then. The Q is a little better but the IS is a better looker.
Old 08-03-13, 08:24 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 219 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I think the best looking car Infiniti has produced was the 1st gen G35 coupe.
QFT
Old 08-03-13, 09:38 AM
SimTide985
Driver

Originally Posted by gengar
Yeah, if there's one word for this car's styling that I'd use, it's overdone. I'm not a fan of the Lexus spindle grill either for that reason.
Oh God...

Infiniti had the design first.
Old 08-03-13, 12:13 PM
Infra
Lexus Test Driver

Can you identify the Infiniti each tail light comes from?

This criticism of the Q50's tails is silly. This is the design language Infiniti has been moving to for a long time.

Name:  7ntgXCj.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  5.8 KB
Infiniti Q50 thread-p8v0cir.jpg
Infiniti Q50 thread-0vph1lm.png
Infiniti Q50 thread-5faabml.png
Infiniti Q50 thread-uylvmkg.jpg
Old 08-03-13, 12:30 PM
LexFather

The car is fine, it just drives less sporty than the IS, ATS and maybe the 3 series. This is their volume bread and butter car, they could not afford to take big risks. The hybrid looks great on paper. Lets not condemn a car for being less sporty like people did Lexus. It is a disappointment the manual was also dropped and course those vocal in the past are dead silent.

The thing that is going to make/break it is pricing and leasing. 70-80% are leased, people want the cheap $300-$400 payment. If that changes are people going to scoff and move on? The deals on the current gen M37/56 are not as aggressive as the last model and they can't give that car away. Loaded this car is over 50k and that is a lot of money to ask for this car and people will just default to a German car.

It will all depend on the leases offered. I don't think they are too confident seeing they are building the G37 ALONGSIDE the Q50 instead of discontinuing the car. Looking at the offers I've gotten initially, its not looking good in regards to leases. Maybe support will happen during the years end when sales heat up.

All we know, this car HAS to succeed in a big way for them. They stated Infiniti either loses money or barely breaks even in regards to their financial picture on a year to year basis. These initial reviews are not the big bang they need considering they stated "this is the best car they ever made".

In traditional marketing fashion, only Infiniti would tell the world their entry level car is the best car they have ever made lol

Last edited by LexFather; 08-03-13 at 12:36 PM.

Old 08-03-13, 04:55 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SimTide985
Oh God...

Infiniti had the design first.
Sorry, I'm not sure I made any commentary about who designed what first?
Old 08-03-13, 04:59 PM
SimTide985
Driver

Sorry, I'm not sure I made any commentary about who designed what first?
No, but you made the insinuation once you made the comparison to Lexus.
Old 08-03-13, 05:08 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

you need to read over and think again
Old 08-03-13, 05:13 PM
SimTide985
Driver

Originally Posted by spwolf
you need to read over and think again
You can backpedal nicely.
Old 08-03-13, 05:20 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

I said that I didn't like the G50 styling for being overdone, just like I don't like the Lexus spindle grill for being overdone.

Sorry that you somehow managed to infer from that something worthy of your aspersion.
Old 08-03-13, 09:50 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The spindle is a bit overdone in some F-Sport variants, but the non-F-Sport variants look fine to me.

Originally Posted by EZZ
I think the best looking car Infiniti has produced was the 1st gen G35 coupe. That generation M34/45 also looked great. I was so disappointed that Infiniti didn't produce the g coupe concept...instead went the bulbous route with the G37. It's been kinda downhill since then. The Q is a little better but the IS is a better looker.
Well that's one thing I can agree on. For myself as well the 1st gen G35 is the best-looking Infiniti. Since then it's been downhill. The 2005-2009 Infiniti M I was never a fan of though, it looks like an oversized Maxima. After the 1st gen G35 it's been all downhill, and it continues to go downhill in my opinion.

Originally Posted by Blueprint
The car is fine, it just drives less sporty than the IS, ATS and maybe the 3 series. This is their volume bread and butter car, they could not afford to take big risks. The hybrid looks great on paper. Lets not condemn a car for being less sporty like people did Lexus. It is a disappointment the manual was also dropped and course those vocal in the past are dead silent.

The thing that is going to make/break it is pricing and leasing. 70-80% are leased, people want the cheap $300-$400 payment. If that changes are people going to scoff and move on? The deals on the current gen M37/56 are not as aggressive as the last model and they can't give that car away. Loaded this car is over 50k and that is a lot of money to ask for this car and people will just default to a German car.

It will all depend on the leases offered. I don't think they are too confident seeing they are building the G37 ALONGSIDE the Q50 instead of discontinuing the car. Looking at the offers I've gotten initially, its not looking good in regards to leases. Maybe support will happen during the years end when sales heat up.

All we know, this car HAS to succeed in a big way for them. They stated Infiniti either loses money or barely breaks even in regards to their financial picture on a year to year basis. These initial reviews are not the big bang they need considering they stated "this is the best car they ever made".

In traditional marketing fashion, only Infiniti would tell the world their entry level car is the best car they have ever made lol
Well a big part of it is not just cheap leases, but it's more fundamental than that.

First of all, people simply have to like your car. Whether it's exterior styling, interior styling, features, ride, quality/reliability, comfort, etc. if people don't like your car, then it doesn't matter what the leases are.

As you said, they can't even give away the Infiniti M because consumers in the market have basically shunned and ignored that model for various reasons. I think styling plays a big role in that.

How did Infiniti even reinvent itself after Nissan's bankruptcy and the hiring of Carlos Ghosn?

Infiniti focused on sport/performance and styling initially, nothing else. Most people bought the 1st gen G35 simply because it looked good. The G35 had a crappy ride, a crappy interior, BUT people bought in large numbers because it looked good. It also help of course that leases were cheap and the car had good performance.

This Q50 may look good or competitive on paper, but it means nothing if consumers don't like the car.
Old 08-04-13, 06:34 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

i am sure Q50 will sell well.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Q50 thread