Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti Q50 thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-13, 07:45 PM
LexFather

Another iffy review...the reason there is another stop sale..I'll have a full review Wednesday if I have time to share....I think it looks great. Its clear the sportiest in class now is the IS, that was their one card and its gone, they went to tech.....

Listen – exactly none of the issues we have with Infiniti's new mission or new technologies indicate that we think it's necessarily barking up the wrong tree, at least insofar as building a business case goes. There's a lot of really good work in the Q50, particularly if you're judicious with the options list. It's well priced, attractive and fun-to-drive if you don't bring along the high-tech nannies. And as far as expanding its product portfolio to improve its chances for profitability, Infiniti has little choice. Right now, it's more-or-less trapped in the same near-prestige, lower-consideration malaise as Acura, and it needs a fuller range to properly combat Audi, Cadillac, Lexus, Mercedes-Benz, and of course, BMW. Incidentally, it isn't like the Bavarians haven't occasionally lost sight of their Ultimate Driving Machine mantra in their own bid for ambitious growth, yet it's hardly hurting sales. But in order for that strategy to keep working, BMW must continue to understand that it will have to throw the driving enthusiasts that put it on the map an occasional crust – cars like the 1 Series M Coupe and the M3. Let's hope de Nyscchen understands that, too.

Old 08-05-13, 07:49 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by spwolf
it is not common for premium manufacturer to do this... usually cheap cars keep old version for poor.
This is crazy. The price drop hurts resale of the G37 not to mention the name change to Q50. They said all this effort was to move everything to Q, even changing all the existing models to that letter and they will still sell a G?? The car will be nearly 10 years old in 2015.

They have a $299 G37 lease deal already nationally, that is a TON of car for the money, nothing is close. That is 320 money.

Really crazy and its surely for volume, or lack of it.

Old 08-05-13, 09:08 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm not complaining, but how come my "first drives compilation" thread got merged?

Anyways, I'm glad the autoblog first drive was a bit more positive. In a way Infiniti has really been following BMW's every move- they seem to have softened this car in certain trims just like the F30 in say, the luxury line trim.
Old 08-05-13, 09:25 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

g37 for $29k after haggling. Pretty good value considering what you get. The q50 doesn't even come with standard leather.

328-hp 3.7-liter V6
17-inch alloy wheels
Leather-appointed seating
Heated front seats and dual power outside mirrors
Dual Zone Automatic Temperature Control
Infiniti Intelligent Key
Tilt and telescopic steering column
RearView Monitor[*]
7-inch color vehicle-information display
Bluetooth® Hands-free Phone System[*]
SiriusXM Satellite Radio with 3-month trial subscription[*]
USB port[*]
Infiniti Advanced Air Bag System (AABS)[*]
Front-seat Active Head Restraints (AHR)
4-wheel Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)
Old 08-06-13, 03:26 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow... used off lease G37's are certainly going to be UBER cheap. I'm tempted myself.
Old 08-06-13, 03:36 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

hydraulic steering on the RWD, woooooooohoooooooooo!!!!

This actually sounds a whole lot more positive now.
Old 08-06-13, 04:48 AM
mrraider
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
hydraulic steering on the RWD, woooooooohoooooooooo!!!!

This actually sounds a whole lot more positive now.
I wonder how the AWd non hybrid and the RWD hybrid drive. every model is so different, they must be difficukt to compare.
Old 08-06-13, 06:52 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

This review indicates that this is probably the best balance of sport and comfort that Infiniti has yet achieved. I'm sure the average buyer will approve. It also sounds as if you can either go sporty or go tech-nanny, depending on trim level and options. Not a bad strategy for capturing the widest range of customers.
Old 08-06-13, 07:07 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
wow... used off lease G37's are certainly going to be UBER cheap. I'm tempted myself.
The G37 guys are reporting that you can get a new G37S for huge discounts since they won't be sold anymore, only premium/journey models.....

Old 08-06-13, 07:09 AM
rkyat
Lexus Test Driver

I would love to grab up a g37s 6spd with these price drops.
Old 08-06-13, 11:42 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn, that Infiniti Q50 really looks stunning

Btw, I have a question:
What's better drivetrain choice for this car? RWD or AWD?

Case in point, in the Lexus GS350 F-sport for example, the reviews that I've read mentioned that if your area has ICE AND SNOW, get the AWD.

Otherwise, the RWD is more superior (since it has more goodies like Rear Wheel Steering and whatnot)

With that said:
In the case of the Q50S, what are the respective pros and cons between choosing RWD or AWD???
Old 08-06-13, 11:54 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I think its was a decent review. In the end each manufacturer is showing signs of evolving . Lexus is trying to add some much needed sport, Infiniti, on the other hand, has always been the sportiest and people have complained about ruff ride, lack of engine and transmission refinement, and overly sensititve throttles, they have mellowed their cars. BMW as well has seemed to water down the sportiness of their cars with this current generation but they still manage to create that perfect balance. In the end the car are all evolving towards one another. That is good for us.

I personally think that the new IS is not as attractive because of the gaping grille and the elevated side skirts that make it look like a tuned civic. The interior design and features on the IS are amazing but it seems like the Q50 is going to out gadget the IS . This is a good thing but seems like it could go the other way. When we drive bells and whistles are great unless thats all you see , feel, or hear.

I am looking forward to driving the new Q and making up my mind. Also when you buy a car like this Q in full sport trim I have a hard time believing that it is any kind of slouch. I just think in light of the added weight for the hybrid ( close to 400 lbs) as well as the artificial feel to the steering I would say just ditch the hybrid. I have a feeling the electric but actuated steering is going to feel absolutely fine and these editors are kind of splitting hairs a bit. Wont know until I drive it myself.

Last edited by I8ABMR; 08-06-13 at 12:11 PM.
Old 08-06-13, 12:19 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

I just sat in a Q50 an hour ago. Really nice interior for an entry lux car...but its lost that sport edge. The Q50 may have been the successor to the G37 platform...but maybe not its spiritual successor. Its almost a different class of car to the IS due to its size...it was pretty big. In a few years, if the price is under $40k, it will be a great bargain
Old 08-06-13, 12:59 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I just sat in a Q50 an hour ago. Really nice interior for an entry lux car...but its lost that sport edge. The Q50 may have been the successor to the G37 platform...but maybe not its spiritual successor. Its almost a different class of car to the IS due to its size...it was pretty big. In a few years, if the price is under $40k, it will be a great bargain
Im going to swing by the local dealership on the way home today. I agree that the IS looks smaller and I think that Infiniti's idea was to distance the car a bit from the outgoing G37. Although it fills the same slot in the line up I think globally it will serve to bring the Infiniti brand up so it getting larger, wider, WAY more tech, and a boost in refinement as well as the better looking sheet metal. The old G was getting bulbous and kind of amorphous . Man I still remember beating the crap out of a G37 loaner car and I was BLOWN AWAY by the performance compared to my GS350. It was so much sportier, handled better, had paddle shifters, rev matched on down shift, and cost about 8k less and was still comparable in size to my GS ( not even a direct competitor). I am sure this new one will be great, especially once they tweak it in 3 years, like they do all models
Old 08-06-13, 01:08 PM
balMaster
Rookie

They make this car a tad cheaper than G37.
Then, they drop G37's price by $4800.
Q50 and "2014" G37 look like a pretty nice deal.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Q50 thread