Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti Q50 thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-13, 02:15 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Haters are gonna hate, but I really like what they did here (minus the stupid naming thing). The car has great proportions and looks very sporty. Job well done.
Old 08-06-13, 02:23 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Im going to swing by the local dealership on the way home today. I agree that the IS looks smaller and I think that Infiniti's idea was to distance the car a bit from the outgoing G37. Although it fills the same slot in the line up I think globally it will serve to bring the Infiniti brand up so it getting larger, wider, WAY more tech, and a boost in refinement as well as the better looking sheet metal. The old G was getting bulbous and kind of amorphous . Man I still remember beating the crap out of a G37 loaner car and I was BLOWN AWAY by the performance compared to my GS350. It was so much sportier, handled better, had paddle shifters, rev matched on down shift, and cost about 8k less and was still comparable in size to my GS ( not even a direct competitor). I am sure this new one will be great, especially once they tweak it in 3 years, like they do all models
The G37 is an awesome car. Really great performer. If you test drive the IS350 and Q50, i bet the difference in overall performance will be very small. The cars are all very competitive in this segment. I'm gonna see if my kids fit okay in the IS350...if not, I may have to get the Q50 just for practical reasons

I will say the Infiniti service department where I live is way better than the Lexus one in terms of customer service. That may sway me too...
Old 08-06-13, 02:51 PM
LexFather

Talking

Old 08-06-13, 02:54 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
The G37 is an awesome car. Really great performer. If you test drive the IS350 and Q50, i bet the difference in overall performance will be very small. The cars are all very competitive in this segment. I'm gonna see if my kids fit okay in the IS350...if not, I may have to get the Q50 just for practical reasons

I will say the Infiniti service department where I live is way better than the Lexus one in terms of customer service. That may sway me too...
For me the looks, size, features, and hybrid option are going to give it to the Infiniti. The IS looks weird to me with that big of a grille on that size of a car, the odd side skirts, and the extended brake lights that run down the side of the car a bit. One of the docs I work with went out and bought an Acura RDX because he couldnt stand the grille on the RX anymore. Im sure they will lose some sales with the new grille. In the end beauty is in the eye of the beholder but objectively it will be hard to beat the new Q50 in its class imho ( considering features, hybrid option, tech, size,and price). I am eagerly awaiting the review that all the mags will do pitting all of them together. For me the 3 series is a small person's car because of its tiny size. I hate the fact that the b pillar is forward of the chair when the seat is all the way back. The IS has an amazing interior and seems to handle well in the reviews ( but then again they all handle well), the Audi is amazing but I would never trust the reliability ( too many horror stories from close friends ), and the C class , like the bimmer, is for short people so its out in my book. This leaves my favorites in class are the IS and the Q50. At 360 hp for the hybrid that puts in 20 hp away from my LS460 with its huge 4.6L v8. Thats impressive power and can still get 30 mpg on the highway.
With pricing at 54k for a loaded one its still cheaper than a loaded GS 450h that will run over 10k more AND has more power than the G450h. I think the Q50 will be battling in its segment and even above its segment
Old 08-06-13, 03:03 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blueprint
This is crazy. The price drop hurts resale of the G37 not to mention the name change to Q50. They said all this effort was to move everything to Q, even changing all the existing models to that letter and they will still sell a G?? The car will be nearly 10 years old in 2015.

They have a $299 G37 lease deal already nationally, that is a TON of car for the money, nothing is close. That is 320 money.

Really crazy and its surely for volume, or lack of it.
Hey Mike I just saw it advertised at the local dealership down the street for $249/month but may not have been the S. Man, thats like loaded civic prices. How can they do that?
Old 08-06-13, 03:03 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

With pricing at 54k for a loaded one its still cheaper than a loaded GS 450h that will run over 10k more AND has more power than the G450h. I think the Q50 will be battling in its segment and even above its segment

paper specs are so awesome... so far every review on Infiniti hybrid system and Q50 has been pretty mediocre to bad.
Old 08-06-13, 03:06 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 161 Likes on 119 Posts

The G37 guys are reporting that you can get a new G37S for huge discounts since they won't be sold anymore, only premium/journey models.....
i would want to get G37S if I wasnt sucker for having always the latest car... but otherwise, it is a really great deal.... loaded Camry or G37S... hmmm, "tough choice" (not!)
Old 08-06-13, 03:13 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
paper specs are so awesome... so far every review on Infiniti hybrid system and Q50 has been pretty mediocre to bad.
sounds like you are reading only the negative stuff on the steering and that option can be avoided. Only time will tell. When you consider the size, power, options, tech, efficiency, safety, and most importantly the PRICE the Q50 will sell.

The Q50 gets better mpg than even a GS450h and has more power !! Pretty damn impressive for a car that isnt even in the GS list of competitors . Anyone who has driven an Infiniti or owns one knows that handling is their strong suit and I am pretty sure they will get this new Q50 sorted out FAST. They kind of have to. The sports package can be fitted with summer tires and Im sure its pretty damn easy for the company to source newer batter tires for their lesser models. With prices like they are I cant imagine many would avoid the extra bells and whistles or even the sport

Still amazed at how cheap leases on the G37 are right now. Straight up did a double take when I saw the pricing on the net. Also seems like they may sell the G37 along side of the Q50.
Old 08-06-13, 03:15 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by spwolf
i would want to get G37S if I wasnt sucker for having always the latest car... but otherwise, it is a really great deal.... loaded Camry or G37S... hmmm, "tough choice" (not!)
SO true The G37 will make the drive to work way more fun plus you won't be driving the belly button of the automotive world.
Old 08-06-13, 03:17 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

This is crazy. The price drop hurts resale of the G37 not to mention the name change to Q50. They said all this effort was to move everything to Q, even changing all the existing models to that letter and they will still sell a G?? The car will be nearly 10 years old in 2015.

They have a $299 G37 lease deal already nationally, that is a TON of car for the money, nothing is close. That is 320 money.

Really crazy and its surely for volume, or lack of it.
Hey Mike I just saw it advertised at the local dealership down the street for $249/month but may not have been the S. Man, thats like loaded civic prices. How can they do that?
just looked it up and they have the G37S for $299 /month and the G37 for $249 / month. INSANE !!!!

Last edited by I8ABMR; 08-06-13 at 03:32 PM.
Old 08-06-13, 04:02 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

doodz get the lincoln mkz. that car is so hot and the hybrid version i think is cheaper than the infiniti Q base.
Old 08-06-13, 04:29 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Tantrix
doodz get the lincoln mkz. that car is so hot and the hybrid version i think is cheaper than the infiniti Q base.
The MKZ is a nice car, but its more a midsize. The G is essentially a tweener and because its lighter and RWD it's also inherently more sporty than the MKZ
Old 08-06-13, 05:03 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The MKZ is a nice car, but its more a midsize. The G is essentially a tweener and because its lighter and RWD it's also inherently more sporty than the MKZ
With the size and features it can almost run with the GS450h ( dont flame me for saying it). MKZ , although it is a very nice looking , is not in same league.
Old 08-06-13, 05:12 PM
LexFather

Infiniti has subsidized the G since its debut over 10 years ago. Over 75% of G cars are leased. Nissan backs up this program so they can sell cars. It has put them in a really tough position since their volume car for the past decade has been a high hp G and once people see and pay a cheap lease, they have no desire to pay more for the same car. It helped move units but we now know the brand has been losing money or barely profitable most years and with the G being 60-70% of sales most years its safe to assume it's not working to make money. Ghosn might be at wits end here to make some money on this brand.

Its sad b/c from what I've seen so far the Q50 is very nice and all this confusion and lack of clear direction isn't the car's fault.

Old 08-06-13, 06:16 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Tantrix
Come on man really? Did you really just bring up the MKZ? LMAO There are about 20 upscale midsized cars that are better than that piece of crap.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Q50 thread