Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti Q50 thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-13, 09:11 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tantrix
and what would that be ? front distance sensors ? more horsepower ? or the front spindle like grille ? the 18" wheels ? oh not it's upgraded to 19" ? what ? the inline or v6? or is it the hybrid option ? or is it the change of name from G to Q ?

what is it that money cannot buy in any other car maker or model ?

only FUNDAMENTAL difference is that the price went up.
Is there really and fundamental difference in any car which moves to a new generation? I mean, really, is there any fundamental difference in the current BMW 3 and the previous generation. They're both basically the same size with the new one being about 3 inches longer. Same general HP in the 328i as the previous year (maybe 10 more hp). It's an evolutionary upgrade year over year with the emphasis on refinement. That's really where the Q50 car is. Improved refinement which builds on the G37's strengths while eliminating many of that car's weaknesses... not to mention it is a major step above the G outside and inside.
Old 08-07-13, 09:16 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueprint
I dunno, I'm literally looking at it now from the dealership and I think its a great car that hasn't been given the proper limelight. Its no fault of the car for what is being done to it in regards to the launch.

Again I don't have an issue with a car going comfier or softer since that is what Lexus was known for and personally I had no issues with it especially if its a good balance. Cars are all going for the middle, the IS F sport is the rare car going to one extreme side like a Buick Lacrosse goes to one extreme side.

Personally I find it really good looking, the interior is perfectly fine and for around 45k its a solid car for the money. The whole name/G37 etc fiasco might hurt sales but it's a solid car and that ain't the cars fault.
I can agree with you. I think Infiniti's history has been to sabotage its own product through poor marketing and promotion (they NEVER really sold the rear-view monitor on the FX when it was the first to have that feature).

I hope buyers give the Q50 the consideration it deserves despite the company's sloppy handling of its launch.
Old 08-07-13, 10:02 AM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there isn't. That's why all those thing are are just afterthought.

the only fundamental difference you will is is with the design language. bmw, infiniti, lexus, hyundai etc are all basically the same now design wise. The only manufacturers who are DELIBERATELY trying to carve out their own fundamental design language are the domestics. Look at the new lincolns, caddy's etc. To some eyes it may not be the usual cookie cutter looks but it's obvious that they doing everything they can to look different from their counterparts.

Originally Posted by speedflex
Is there really and fundamental difference in any car which moves to a new generation? I mean, really, is there any fundamental difference in the current BMW 3 and the previous generation. They're both basically the same size with the new one being about 3 inches longer. Same general HP in the 328i as the previous year (maybe 10 more hp). It's an evolutionary upgrade year over year with the emphasis on refinement. That's really where the Q50 car is. Improved refinement which builds on the G37's strengths while eliminating many of that car's weaknesses... not to mention it is a major step above the G outside and inside.
Old 08-07-13, 10:11 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

and what would that be ? front distance sensors ? more horsepower ? or the front spindle like grille ? the 18" wheels ? oh not it's upgraded to 19" ? what ? the inline or v6? or is it the hybrid option ? or is it the change of name from G to Q ?

LOL, read the reviews and or at least watch the video reviews
Old 08-07-13, 10:24 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,399 Likes on 1,572 Posts

i am sensing too much fail to respond to this.
Old 08-07-13, 10:41 AM
LexFather

there isn't. That's why all those thing are are just afterthought.

the only fundamental difference you will is is with the design language. bmw, infiniti, lexus, hyundai etc are all basically the same now design wise. The only manufacturers who are DELIBERATELY trying to carve out their own fundamental design language are the domestics. Look at the new lincolns, caddy's etc. To some eyes it may not be the usual cookie cutter looks but it's obvious that they doing everything they can to look different from their counterparts.
You said this in the 3IS forum..

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post8077964

have some originality. Get the lincoln MKZ hybrid for cheaper.

you know that cookie cutter IS owner is probably going to be a wannabe edm tiesto-mickey mouse swedish cheese maffia fan and posts pics of boba and food they eat on facebook. It's the same cookie cutter clones. Be original for once.
Me thinks it is time for you to go if you think the most polorizing car in the segment is "cookie cutter"

Old 08-07-13, 11:48 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I wonder what this is for (see red)
Attached Thumbnails Infiniti Q50 thread-2014-infiniti-q50-s-center-stack.jpg  
Old 08-07-13, 11:52 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 157 Likes on 117 Posts

around view camera showing on main display.
Old 08-07-13, 01:38 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
around view camera showing on main display.
Yeah! Thats a great feature. I really like the interior...very clean and respectable. I think this car will be the 2nd best seller in the class. What has me a little sad is that Infiniti took a chance at this segment with the 1st gen G35 and 2 generations later we end up with a solid, safe sporty car At least my G35 coupe has a ton of character (both bad and good) but it will be a very memorable car that I owned.

I wonder if these same original buyers are going to be the same people who buy the Q or will we have moved onto the IS350 or 335?
Old 08-07-13, 03:34 PM
pman6
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Judging by the videos, from a distance, the q50 resembles current and older mazdas.
Ignoring the squintier taillights, rear reminds me of the old mazda millenia. Front resembles mazda6.

I have to look at it for a few extra seconds to recognize it's an infiniti.
Old 08-07-13, 03:50 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Switchind different camera views - rear, top down, side, etc.
Old 08-07-13, 04:10 PM
LexFather

My early driving impressions;
So far I love how it looks, the interior is well done, really like the door panels and the infiniti itouch is pretty easy to use, clear icons etc. The exterior looks great to me, took it to a shop and already got the "looks like a Lexus up front/Mazda" comments so its not just the internet....

I'm really surprised at the lack of exhaust and engine sound, its all gone, the trademark sound they had. The steering is light and not very communicative, the ride is bouncy and rough over anything not smooth, ala M37/56 S, throttle response is also slow. I figure it needs to learn from the driver ( I see driver select profiles).

Its not as large inside as you would think. I do love the extendable manual leg extension for both driver and passenger. Gauges are very clear, the paddle shifters don't move and have a nice aluminum/leather mix. The trunk is pretty large and has the same style hinges as the 3GS which looks good (4GS dropped them).

Going to put some miles on it tonight to get more of a feel for it and of course suspension and wheels coming tomorrow.

I don't want to compare it to anything yet, this weekend I will try to post back to back impressions with the IS 350 and GS 350 F-sport, maybe a G37 and some other cars if I have the time.

Old 08-07-13, 04:45 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

So far I love how it looks, the interior is well done, really like the door panels and the infiniti itouch is pretty easy to use, clear icons etc. The exterior looks great to me, took it to a shop and already got the "looks like a Lexus up front/Mazda" comments so its not just the internet....

I'm really surprised at the lack of exhaust and engine sound, its all gone, the trademark sound they had. The steering is light and not very communicative, the ride is bouncy and rough over anything not smooth, ala M37/56 S, throttle response is also slow. I figure it needs to learn from the driver ( I see driver select profiles).

Its not as large inside as you would think. I do love the extendable manual leg extension for both driver and passenger. Gauges are very clear, the paddle shifters don't move and have a nice aluminum/leather mix. The trunk is pretty large and has the same style hinges as the 3GS which looks good (4GS dropped them).

Going to put some miles on it tonight to get more of a feel for it and of course suspension and wheels coming tomorrow.

I don't want to compare it to anything yet, this weekend I will try to post back to back impressions with the IS 350 and GS 350 F-sport, maybe a G37 and some other cars if I have the time.
This was a huge thing for me. The door panels when I put a 3IS and Q50S side by side, there was no comparison. The Infiniti wins. It gained more luxury.

Also part of the reason the Infiniti lost it's "G35/37" exhaust note. It's been toned down and reminisces the 2IS 350 now.
Old 08-07-13, 04:48 PM
Tantrix
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes the IS and the Q are pretty much the same cookie cutter stuff. Mind as well throw in sonata lexus GS camry altima and mazda 6 into the mix.

oh and ya of course the person is probably a skrillex fan to!! don't forget to wear that tiesto T shirt while driving in the IS !

You said this in the 3IS forum..

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post8077964

Me thinks it is time for you to go if you think the most polorizing car in the segment is "cookie cutter"
Old 08-07-13, 10:56 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Mike, did you pick one up for Vossen, personal..??? Thanks for sharing. I wanted to stop by the dealership yesterday but got slammed at work and ended up just heading home. I am eager to drive it. How was the leg room and head room. You are I are pretty tall so I know that can be a limiting factor for us. What did you think?

Quick Reply: Infiniti Q50 thread