Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti Q50 thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-13, 10:08 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bagwell
its not HIS Q50, so no, his actions do not speak for themselves.
Actually my opinions seem to be valued so the company car will be gone for a better one in the 4 series and I can't wait to drive that around.

The reviews really hit the nail on the head, really nothing for me to add. The IS seems to be built with a sole purpose, it has character, soul, and if you don't like it Lexus doesn't care, go buy an ES. I am at a loss how Infiniti finally made some inroads with the G35/G37, has a core solid loyal group, sold a ton of them and throws it all away for a new name that confuses everyone and a new driving experience completely different. The sales have been 1/2 of the previous G37 so far. (edit, only 2,500 units sold again last month)
http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/u...october-record

I guess I'll go in detail after SEMA. It doesn't help either the Q50 is not sold in Japan as the Nissan Skyline and the aftermarket support and buzz is non-existent. Contrarily Japan has been hard on work with modifying the IS since day one and SEMA will debut tons of products and modified IS cars.

Honestly if they were going to rename the whole lineup one letter, their best letter was G, surely not Q which is associated with failure of its past flagship.

One thing I will continue to say is I personally feel the Q50 S is one of the better looking sedans on the road, especially lowered with 20s.

Last edited by LexFather; 11-01-13 at 10:49 AM.

Old 11-01-13, 10:39 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've never liked the exhaust note of ANY Nissan VQ powered car, and that goes all the way back to the 1st generation VQ30DE that we had here in the U.S. in the 4th generation Maxima, which I owned a copy of. Marvelous engine, great throttle response, and a nice snarly intake sound, but no exhaust ever sounded good to me on that car. "Sick cow", ha ha, yeah pretty much.

I'm not particularly a fan of the latest generation VQ engines. These high-winding 7500rpm engines with a focus on peak power development look great on paper, but tend to be not as exciting to drive on actual streets. There's a reason that the Toyota 2GR-FSE and the BMW N54/N55 powered cars perform better. Focus on torque, and better throttle responsiveness in normal driving. It also nets better fuel economy. The VQ37HR has never really lived up to its power ratings imho.

I'd love to see Nissan come out with a turbocharged VQ30. There's been direct injected turbocharged versions of them in Japan for many moons, but no U.S. application. It'd seem to be a natural progression, given the way things are going.
Old 11-01-13, 11:01 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by SteVTEC
I've never liked the exhaust note of ANY Nissan VQ powered car, and that goes all the way back to the 1st generation VQ30DE that we had here in the U.S. in the 4th generation Maxima, which I owned a copy of. Marvelous engine, great throttle response, and a nice snarly intake sound, but no exhaust ever sounded good to me on that car. "Sick cow", ha ha, yeah pretty much.

I'm not particularly a fan of the latest generation VQ engines. These high-winding 7500rpm engines with a focus on peak power development look great on paper, but tend to be not as exciting to drive on actual streets. There's a reason that the Toyota 2GR-FSE and the BMW N54/N55 powered cars perform better. Focus on torque, and better throttle responsiveness in normal driving. It also nets better fuel economy. The VQ37HR has never really lived up to its power ratings imho.

I'd love to see Nissan come out with a turbocharged VQ30. There's been direct injected turbocharged versions of them in Japan for many moons, but no U.S. application. It'd seem to be a natural progression, given the way things are going.
drive a nismo 370z and get back to us
Old 11-01-13, 11:04 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
Yup . I have to agree. The VQ motors are great and the G37 coupe, G35 Coupe, and 370 Z sound AMAZING at WOT. I would have to ask if they even pushed it. The VQs have great power and torque for a V6. Not the smoothest drive train and like the inline 6 or the Toyota V6 though
Old 11-01-13, 11:12 AM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

although i sound biased since owning a 350z coupe, 350z convertible and my gf having a g35 (DE motors), its such a good engine. the automatic convertible was felt just as quick and zippy as the is350 around town which falls on its face more at redline whereas the 350z manual was quicker as the redline rises...due to the gearing.

these are great motors. ive been contemplating on selling the daily driver and getting a 07-08 350z (HR motor). the power is great, they have the most recent revision of the transmission and its a stout motor and can beat on and have fun with just bolt ons.

here is a friend of mine with a HR 350z running on cheap summitomo tires. its really quick.

Old 11-01-13, 11:39 AM
SteVTEC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ISFPOWER
The kind of engine I'd want in a sports coupe and the kind of engine I'd want in a luxo-barge family hauler are very different engines. In the Z it's great, but not what I'd be looking for in something like a Q50, driving on clogged 45 mph roads.
Old 11-01-13, 12:20 PM
vbx
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
The IS350 doesn't really have an exhaust note. All you can hear at WOT is engine noise. Smooth sewing machine noise which is an indication of a healthy engine.

Bose? Seriously. They make terrible sound. Yeah the Q50 may produce more base, but the ML produce incredible clarity and do not suffer from distortion like all the others.
I was, at lexus and infiniti the other day. We had the sound system on full blast and thre bose system was way better. No distortion at all. High were clear and bass were deep.

Have u even listened to the q50 bose system? sounds like ur just talking out of ur ....
Old 11-01-13, 03:17 PM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 123 Likes on 96 Posts

The recent review that talks about the wife wanting something Prius like and the husband wanting a sports car is the closest thing to my situation

After nearly 3 months with my hybrid sport AWD I have found it to be the nicest commuter mobile I have ever had

I can take the family out for dinner and there is room for folks to sit sans the human origami

It goes like mad when I want it to, gets through bad weather untaxed and gets 10 mpg better than the IS350 used to.

Only a few tech lock ups and I recently had a software update.

Plus my dealer serves hot breakfast so if it needs to go in for work I am we'll taken care.

The launch is still failure of serious proportions.
Old 11-01-13, 05:04 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by vbx
I was, at lexus and infiniti the other day. We had the sound system on full blast and thre bose system was way better. No distortion at all. High were clear and bass were deep.

Have u even listened to the q50 bose system? sounds like ur just talking out of ur ....
I've heard many Bose car Audio systems and I also used to have a Bose home unit.

The bose in previous GEN Audis had so much base that it used to rattle the interior. The ML doesn't do that but it's defiantly clearer and less distorted.
Old 11-02-13, 08:10 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Bose vs ML or anything else.

I am hardly an audiophile, but I have had this discussion with friends who are and have invested thousands and thousands of dollars in home and car audio.

Bose systems sound "good" to laypeople like me. They are loud, in your face, and strong giving people who really don't know how to discern quality sound the perception that they create really great sound. Hence why people line up to buy Bose home audio systems for $2,500 when that $2,500 could buy them a MUCH better system. Thats why Bose gets such hate amongst audio enthusiasts, because its literally a dumbed down audio solution expertly marketed and sold at high cost to consumers who have no idea what they are buying.

For people who truly can appreciate quality sound, the ML is a much better system, it has less distortion (the ML audio I believe has the lowest THD of any stock car audio system), and is a much clearer, crisper sound. The sort of person who would appreciate those differences is not your typical consumer.

So to many people, the Bose "sounds" better...but for a true audiophile its not.
Old 11-02-13, 09:41 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS

I am hardly an audiophile, but I have had this discussion with friends who are and have invested thousands and thousands of dollars in home and car audio.

Bose systems sound "good" to laypeople like me. They are loud, in your face, and strong giving people who really don't know how to discern quality sound the perception that they create really great sound. Hence why people line up to buy Bose home audio systems for $2,500 when that $2,500 could buy them a MUCH better system. Thats why Bose gets such hate amongst audio enthusiasts, because its literally a dumbed down audio solution expertly marketed and sold at high cost to consumers who have no idea what they are buying.

For people who truly can appreciate quality sound, the ML is a much better system, it has less distortion (the ML audio I believe has the lowest THD of any stock car audio system), and is a much clearer, crisper sound. The sort of person who would appreciate those differences is not your typical consumer.

So to many people, the Bose "sounds" better...but for a true audiophile its not.
I'm a bigger fan of clarity vs bass. I played the same song in a ML GS350 and Bose M37 at our automall. ML is superior
Old 11-02-13, 09:43 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by SW13GS

THIS.

There are many subjective things in the car and audio business but this is universal amongst audio experts : BOSE is horrible.
Old 11-02-13, 09:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
I prefer the G37 Coupe and even sedan over the Q50
Consumer Reports noted, in this month's test of a Q50 against the Lexus IS250AWD, that, in their opinion, the former G37 was a substantially better car. They sampled versions of the Q50 with both Active and non-active steering....prefering (not surprisingly) the non-active.
Old 11-02-13, 10:04 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by machmike
I drove a Q50S hybrid early on, drove a bunch of other cars. Here is by drive list. I drove many three or four times. Especially the IS350f and the Q50S nav.

Order and initial thoughts:
IS250 - is this a 92 acura clone with a wicked body?slow as a snail.
Q50S - Hybrid. Fast!, Nice but something odd. (drive by wire touring package). Just weird. I thought about the interior for days though. just loved it.
IS350 - Loved this test drive, wow. Super duper fun.
328i - Really like this but BMW has like early 90's interior. I like my tech. Felt like a Douche Bag yuppie in it.
MKz - JC what a mess. It felt like a fat dude trying to fit into 31/30 inch jeans.
S60 - impressed but bored. too much money.
CLA250 - wut? front end looks awesome. Thats about it.
IS350F - F** yeah! - missing some basic options...WTH? Seats are epic. love it.
IS250 - confirmed - this is an underpowered wast of money. a great looking comfortable honda accord. Total dung IMO - you buy car = this you just got hammed. Needs to be priced in the low 30s.
CLA250 - Confirmed - seats...suck. no room. weird interior. great MPG.meh.
Q50S - Navigation package only (rack and pinion steering) - Holy smokes this car rocks. IS350 more comfy but Q50 has a soul. Better in city and highway driving. Run flat tires...omg those things suck nuts.
IS350 F - I still like it. But it feels like its soulless. Doesn't outperform the Q50S nav on the streets. Its a wash. Nowhere as classy as the BMW or Q50.

It came down to IS350/F and the Q50s Nav.
I drove them all at least 3 more times.

IS = handles Better, softer seats, **** options, better tires, very refined..pretty much to the point of no soul to be honest. Cramped interior. Still too small. Sounds fake. bad visibility. Nice paint. Atomic silver is epic. Nice dashboard. Not good for four adults.

Q50 = Nicer interior, dashboard not as nice. AWD way better than IS by a mile. Sounds better, better MPG, better stereo (by far), run flats (yuk..why??? just why???), faster, can carry 4 adults who aren't under 5'9". Q50S NAV way more fun than IS350F. Better visibility. a much classier car overall. Darker colors much better.

Looks = Draw. I like them both. A whole bunch. The back ends of both need work. I really like the radical angles of the IS.

IS350F - About 3k overpriced.
Q50 - About 5k over priced, however...drop the drive by wire package (technology and touring packages) you save 6k and you still have the equivalent of the IS350F for 46k. vs 49/50k for IS. The performance difference will only be evident on a track. period. so its a non- factor.

Verdict:
IS350F - Super awesome refined but entirely a soulless machine. It's the car a sport tuner would buy if they ran into some money, got a good job, or turned 35. I'm not that guy. I drive a 1969 mach1 mustang, less refined makes a car feel alive. a little body roll is a good thing. The IS could use more of that. Cruddy options, forces compromise. Doesn't feel sporty like a BMW or ATS. Radical Design. Awesome grill starts to look old after a month. I started getting annoyed by it. Quieter than the Q50 72-75db @75mph. Sticks to the road like velcro. Great car overall though.

Q50 - Drop some of the packages (tech and touring) and you get way more car for the money. Don't get the drive by wire, the car handles great with the rack & pinion. The whole "drive by wire sucks" arguments are bunk....just don't get it....its not the only option. Get the R&P instead. No amount of street driving will prove the IS or the Q50 is a better handling machine.You feel the road more with the Q50s R&P. The IS wins on a track (who drive a track?). Without the touring package the Q50s feels like a great sport sedan. 2nd IMO to the ATS. Profile is too subtle that back window area needs some love its a little boring. Louder 76db @ 75mph. Great handling sticks to the road very well. Better tech apps.

Winner. Q50S Nav with Rack and Pinion steering.

After being a day away from buying and IS350F I turned around and ordered a Q50s. I am extremely happy with the decision. I'm sure I would be equally as happy with the IS350F. But, the IS 3350F needs something to really push it over the edge. maybe its just a new engine away. I can't put my finger on it. One more year and i'll bet Lexus gets it right. Both are great and are winners vs. the competition.
Thanks for the comprehensive review but you said the Q50 hybrid has a soul but the the IS350 doesn't?

1) How can the better handling and more fun to drive car (the IS) have less soul?

2) You bought the Q50 hybrid. You DO KNOW right that the Q50 hybrid steering is that horrible DAS? The DAS steering universally panned for its disconnected and completely artificial feeling steering feel simply because there literally isn't a physical connection from the steering wheel to the road. Also your statement that the Q50 hybrid you ordered has rack and pinion steering is completely false - Q50 hybrid has DAS only with no option to go rack and pinion.

Basically you just said that the car with the completely artificial and disconnected steering, poorer handling and more body roll has more "soul" than the car with better ride/handling, lesser body roll and better steering.

I don't doubt that you like the Q50 better than the IS but your OWN findings and your final conclusion that the IS has no soul compared to the Q50 doesn't add up.
Old 11-02-13, 10:06 AM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Consumer Reports noted, in this month's test of a Q50 against the Lexus IS250AWD, that, in their opinion, the former G37 was a substantially better car. They sampled versions of the Q50 with both Active and non-active steering....prefering (not surprisingly) the non-active.
A lot of problems with the Q50 vs the G37 have to do with it's electronic hardware and steering system. Otherwise the Q50 fit and finish beats the G37 by miles. It's actually what you'd expect for a base luxury car. I find the cabin materials better than the IS and ES

Quick Reply: Infiniti Q50 thread