Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti Q50 thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-13, 08:13 PM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great write-up and impressions.:thumb up:

It's a shame that Infiniti chose to resolve steering through electronics rather than engineering. On the bright side, it may be easier in future model years for them to tweak the software and settings so that the car feels better in the turns.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 11-04-13 at 09:00 PM.
Old 11-04-13, 08:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by yowps3
But Lexus used to beat all the competition with the image that they're now desperately trying to get rid of..

E-X-A-C-T-L-Y.

Thank you, yowps3, for summing it up (correctly) in one, brief sentence.....something I myself am not always very good at.

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
the customer base is literally dying off
Don't kid yourself. There is a LOT more of that traditional customer-base around than the auto-industry (especially Lexus, Lincoln, Buick, and Cadillac) want to admit. They don't all have one foot (or two) in the grave. What's happening, though, is that many of these buyers, unless they stay in the used-car market, are being forced into smaller, firmer-riding models that they don't really want.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-04-13 at 08:36 PM.
Old 11-04-13, 08:32 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Overall, what ultimately became the highlight of this car was the straight line acceleration, the interior fit and finish, the technology, and the practicality of its dimensions and fuel economy. On the whole, I think the car still has a way to go in the handling and body control department.
This sums it up nicely and reflects my own experiences with the Q50 Hybrid. Cabin materials are some of the best in an entry level luxury sport model I've seen, and as you say it's tech laden and quick. Despite the good fuel economy, it's achilles heal (other than the steering) is the hybrid powertrain itself. I found it unrefined a slightly jerky. It is definitely not as perfected as the system in the GS450h.

Nice review
Old 11-04-13, 08:38 PM
SimTide985
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speedflex
Great write-up and impressions.:thumb up:

It's a shame that Infiniti chose to resolve steering through electronics rather than engineering. On the bright side, it may be easier in future model years for them to tweak the software and settings so that the car feels better in the turns.
I hope so.

Look, if it was between a Q50 and a F-Sport, I choose the F-Sport.

But if it was between a Q50 Hybrid and an F-Sport, I might choose the Q50 Hybrid. Even though the F-Sport kills the Q50 in terms of driving dynamics and brand appeal, the Hybrid's straight line power and tech features pushes it just enough over.

I'm down between three cars right now: The CLA250 (I know, I know,), the IS F-Sport, and the Q50 Hybrid.

I'm going to test drive the Q50 Hybrid again tomorrow, I'll test drive the CLA250 again this weekend and I'll test the F-Sport again the weekend after that.

By then, hopefully I'll have some numbers crunched and I'll weight my options and maybe by the end of next month I'll be driving something new.
Old 11-04-13, 08:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,962 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Don't kid yourself. There is a LOT more of that traditional customer-base around than the auto-industry (especially Lexus, Lincoln, Buick, and Cadillac) want to admit. They don't all have one foot (or two) in the grave. What's happening, though, is that many of these buyers, unless they stay in the used-car market, are being forced into smaller, firmer-riding models that they don't really want.
Let me ask you then, why would companies specifically that you mention that focused in soft, comfortable cars abandon that demographic if there truly was "plenty of that customer base around"?

Literally, all 4 of those companies have abandoned that demographic? Why?
Old 11-04-13, 08:46 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by SimTide985
I disagree 100%.

I just came out of a Lexus dealership and let me tell you, you want luxury, then get an ES.

Get a GS or an LS. Hell, go get a IS with the Luxury package.

Lexus hasn't forgotten a thing. What they have done here, especially with the F-Sport package, is give those who WANT a sport-oriented version of a Lexus IS to have it. They want to keep that package competitively priced and incredibly easy to understand.
You're allowed your opinion

I work for a Lexus dealership (and Acura, BMW, Mini, Infiniti) and let me tell you if you want luxury you DON'T get an ES. You have to step up to a GS+

IS actually has less cost cutting bits than the ES but still rather meh.

Of course they are. Its being argued right now, everyone saying the customer base is dying off, shedding image etc.. Sport is great, adds to the cars merit and accolades, but that is no excuse for questionable cabin pieces in a car that wears an L badge. You're already paying $50K, you'd expect something a bit more plush. Unless folks have really come to accept some of these vehicle offerings as "Luxury" (not just Lexus).

Originally Posted by natnut
"Forget the luxury aspect" is an overstatement IMO. The new IS and GS are still plenty luxurious. Don't be distracted by superficialities like lack of leather seats in the IS F-Sport : the wonderful chassis and sweet ride-handling balance speaks for luxury far louder than quibbles over a few downmarket trim pieces.
We're not talking about Leather seats or even tech which is available. That basis is covered. Material quality on the other hand is not up to snuff for a L badge vehicle. The car drives and handles great awesome, but I'm not spending $50K for a $30K cabin
Old 11-04-13, 09:37 PM
LexFather

It's nice but uninspiring. The Q50 forum is sadly full of issues due to te software and tech. You would think its and old German car with the electronic issues.

Sales are half of what the G37 were.. So many issues including the confusing name change. Shame cause to me it looks really good with the Sport package.

Old 11-05-13, 10:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Let me ask you then, why would companies specifically that you mention that focused in soft, comfortable cars abandon that demographic if there truly was "plenty of that customer base around"?

Literally, all 4 of those companies have abandoned that demographic? Why?
Mostly from pressure from the auto press, who generally want "enthusiast", sport-oriented cars. These companies want good publicity in the auto-magazines, and are pursuing the opinions of auto-journalists rather than those of the traditional buyers who kept them in business over many years. Perhaps nowhere has this been more costly than at Lincoln, which is suffering badly after dropping the Town Car. The MKS, which replaced it, except for its useful AWD option that the Town Car lacked, has been a joke....MKS sales have never even begun to approach those of the former Town Car. The Cadillac XTS, which replaced the DTS, except for its good interior fit/finish and somewhat more modern and efficient drivetrain, has also been a joke.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-05-13 at 10:18 AM.
Old 11-05-13, 10:19 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SimTide985

I just came out of a Lexus dealership and let me tell you, you want luxury, then get an ES.

Get a GS or an LS. Hell, go get a IS with the Luxury package.
For true luxury, get the LS460L long-wheelbase....in the non-Sport version.
Old 11-05-13, 11:05 AM
SimTide985
Driver

For true luxury, get the LS460L long-wheelbase....in the non-Sport version.
I know what you're getting at but..

Oh c'mon and "luxury" is a misnomer anyway

Back in my hood, a Ford Fusion might be considered a luxury car!

Talk to Drake and Rick Ross and they'll say there's no true luxury outside of a Bugatti!
Old 11-05-13, 11:59 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Mostly from pressure from the auto press, who generally want "enthusiast", sport-oriented cars. These companies want good publicity in the auto-magazines, and are pursuing the opinions of auto-journalists rather than those of the traditional buyers who kept them in business over many years. Perhaps nowhere has this been more costly than at Lincoln, which is suffering badly after dropping the Town Car. The MKS, which replaced it, except for its useful AWD option that the Town Car lacked, has been a joke....MKS sales have never even begun to approach those of the former Town Car. The Cadillac XTS, which replaced the DTS, except for its good interior fit/finish and somewhat more modern and efficient drivetrain, has also been a joke.
That just doesn't make sense. Companies build products that sell, not to the desires of the auto press. These companies were happy building cars the automotive press hated for many years. What caused these companies to abandon this market was a realization that this market is shrinking, aging, its not the market of the future. These "traditional buyers" may have kept them in business for many years, but in case you didn't notice people live a finite length of time. My Dad drove Lincolns, Cadillacs, then he had two LSs. But...he's gone now.

For these brands to excel in the future, they need younger buyers. Say what you will, but Lexus, Cadillac, Buick have absolutely succeeded in reducing the age of their buyers and creating products that appeal to a younger buyer. I think the biggest success story here is Cadillac. Cadillac does not hurt for the loss of the DTS or the Fleetwood.

Lincoln was in trouble long before the Town car was axed, and the Town Car was primarily a fleet sales vehicle anyways. My Dad would never have bought a Town Car, and I certainly never would regardless of what age I was. Their issue is they're just not making a good product, the MKS is just not a very good car especially for the money. The new MKZ is better, but time will tell if they can ever achieve what Cadillac has achieved. I personally think Lincoln is done for.
Old 11-05-13, 06:31 PM
LexFather

Maybe people want better driving cars? The market and tastes have shifted.

Old 11-05-13, 06:49 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

I love this saying : " no car company ever lost a sale because their car handled too well."
Old 11-06-13, 06:35 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by natnut
I love this saying : " no car company ever lost a sale because their car handled too well."
No, but I'm sure many car companies have lost sales due to the fact that the ride was too stiff.
Old 11-06-13, 08:04 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

And technology is improving allowing manufacturers to have more of both sides of the spectrum in the same car. If you would have told me that my GS, as great a handler as it is and on 18"wheels with low profile tires would ride as good as it does back when I had my 03 ES on 16s, I'd have said you were nuts.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Q50 thread