Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti Q50 thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-14, 07:26 AM
doge
Formerly Bad Co

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This has to be priced super aggressively in order for anyone to buy one.

M3, C63 are all around 60k

Will this try to compete with the M3, and C63 or will this aim its self against the big boys E63S and M5?

If this is priced around 60-70k mark it should sell well, however if they want this to fight a more upmarket car this doa...
Old 04-23-14, 08:46 AM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i sense Q50R or Q50S
Either one of these wouldn't surprise me actually..

Originally Posted by Allen K
Yeah, but it's definitely tougher with the alphabet soup that the luxury makes are using now.
It's definitely tougher nowadays for sure. For example, thanks to Hyundai, they couldn't use the letter "I" (the obvious choice in my opinion) when changing their nomenclature. But I think even if they just keep "IPL", although not the strongest of names, it'll eventually stick.

Originally Posted by doge
This has to be priced super aggressively in order for anyone to buy one.

M3, C63 are all around 60k

Will this try to compete with the M3, and C63 or will this aim its self against the big boys E63S and M5?

If this is priced around 60-70k mark it should sell well, however if they want this to fight a more upmarket car this doa...
Pricing will certainly be interesting. On one hand, I can't see how they can price it significantly below the GT-R. However, if its intended to compete with the M3, C63, & IS-F (which I believe it is), I can't see how they can price it well over 70k if they want to go head to head against the others.
Old 04-23-14, 08:58 AM
S2000toIS350
Pole Position

Received 121 Likes on 94 Posts

Q50S is already taken unless they use another color for the letter. The 3.7 has a red S and the hybrid has a blue S.
Old 05-27-14, 10:48 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Nissan Skyline 200GT-t revealed for Japan

Click here to view more photos

Features a turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine.

Nissan has introduced the Skyline 200GT-t in Japan.

Set to go on sale on June 5th, the model has a Mercedes-sourced turbocharged 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine that develops 211 PS (155 kW) and 350 Nm (258 lb-ft) of torque. The company declined to release detailed performance figures but said customers can expect an "exhilarating driving response and powerful acceleration."

While Nissan is playing up the performance angle, they also pointed out the engine has been equipped with direct-injection, variable valve timing and an engine start/stop system. This, along with an electro-hydraulic power steering system, enables the car to return 13.6 km/L (7.3 L/100km / 31.9 mpg US / 38.4 mpg UK) in the JC08 cycle.

Besides the new engine, the Skyline gains a modified rear suspension, a Drive mode selector and an optional Direct Adaptive Steering system.

Nissan is only expecting to sell 200 units a month and pricing starts at ¥3,834,000 (including tax).
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11405267...aled-for-japan
Old 05-27-14, 10:50 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I just posted my Q50 review here in CAR CHAT, for those of you interested.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...initi-q50.html
Old 06-05-14, 01:38 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Infiniti Q50 Eau Rouge could cost $100,000 - report

Still hasn't been approved for production

Infiniti President Johan de Nysschen has revealed some new details about the Q50 Eau Rouge.

Speaking to Motor Trend, de Nysschen said the model could cost significantly more than the BMW M3. As he explained, the model would be relatively low volume and could only have a two-year life cycle. This means the model could cost $100,000 (€73,708 / £59,648) but the company might "subsidize each car in order to keep it within reach.”

de Nysschen also revealed engineers are working on improving the prototype's shift speeds and are going to have to install a limited-slip rear differential.

The executive also hinted the company could offer at least two other models with the twin-turbo 3.8-liter V6 engine that develops 560 bhp (417 kW). He declined to go into specifics but mentioned a high-end coupe and a high-performance Q60.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11406057...00000---report
Old 06-05-14, 01:42 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default 560-hp Infiniti Q50 Eau Rouge Could Cost $100,000; Spawn 3 New Models

In an exclusive interview last week, Infiniti President Johan de Nysschen spoke candidly about the Q50 Eau Rouge concept, what it could cost, and what it means for the future of the brand.

While de Nysschen stopped short of confirming that the 560-horsepower, GT-R-powered, all-wheel drive super sedan would see serial production, the full functionality of the prototype and high volume of shared Infiniti/Nissan componentry clearly indicate Eau Rouge is not merely a one-off show special built to test the high performance waters occupied by rivals BMW M and Mercedes-Benz AMG.

When asked whether it would be fair to consider the BMW M3 a rival to the Infiniti Q50 Eau Rouge, de Nysschen replied:

“That’s a fair assessment. I will say to you though, if we do commercialize the car, it’s going to be done in far lower volume. And in that sense be far more exclusive. And definitely a lower-volume, hand-built car, so the unit costs are going to be significantly higher. So the car will be priced well above the M3 – just out of necessity.”

The 2015 BMW M3 starts at $62,925, but can easily reach the $70-80,000 range with the addition of a few options. De Nysschen says the Eau Rouge will be substantially higher still – and sold in much lower volume:

“I would have to say in order to set expectations, we’re probably looking at a $100,000 car," said de Nysschen, "We are probably also looking at 250-500 units a year. So that’s low volume. And we probably have, in terms of my current expectation, only a two-year life cycle. So you have to amortize the development across that volume, and with a hand-built car, you have very high unit costs. Candidly, I assume, the current state of the business plan indicates that we will probably subsidize each car in order to keep it within reach.”

One of the major hurdles in executing the Infiniti Q50 Eau Rouge concept was getting the 560 hp VR38DETT engine from the Nissan GT-R mated to a transmission capable of handling its power and torque. The Eau Rouge team resolved this situation with a beefed up seven-speed automatic transmission (and all-wheel drive system) from the Q70 sedan. When asked if future Infiniti products could utilize the Q50 Eau Rouge’s potent powertrain, de Nysschen responded:

“You know we have to get the economics to work, which is why I’m pushing the Eau Rouge concept for commercialization. Because once you’ve proven technical feasibility, you can go apply that in other things. I think that we should expect to see at least three different car lines across the Infiniti line up that feature that powertrain,” said de Nysschen. “You can imagine a high-end coupe. You can imagine a real high-performance luxury 4-seater…and it seems to me a logical evolution to do the new Q60.”

Speaking of evolution, the Q50 and likely Eau Rouge halo model chart a clear path forward for Infiniti, says de Nysschen:

“You know the real thing for me is that we are pushing the evolution of Infiniti design hard. Q50 represents a significant leap from where we have been – but it’s a waypoint. We can either kind of go through the change in design language by osmosis or we can do it hard, fast. You manage, in a way, by remembering that at any given stage, you have cars in various stages of their lifecycle, they can’t depart too radically from each other. So that tempers your enthusiasm.

“On the other hand, were talking here about the transformation of a brand and nowhere is that more tangibly expressed than in the product. So we’re taking a little bit more of a risky, adventurous approach, and we delayed some of our designs to push the envelope a bit harder. When Q60 hits, there is another sedan that’ll fit in between Q50 and Q70 -- that is going to be a show stopper. When QX70 hits, when QX50 hits… by 2017, the entire current range will have been replaced and we’ll have a bunch of additional models. When you stand on an Infiniti dealer’s showroom floor 3 years from now, you will see the transformation.”

“And this is the danger; Q50 by then, will be halfway through its lifecycle. And as fresh as it looks today, we had better work on something through a mid lifecycle refresh plan because it will be made to look elderly by the new product,” said de Nysschen.

So, how does the Q50 Eau Rouge concept drive with 560 horsepower and a 7-speed automatic transmission?

“We need to work on shifting speed. One thing engineers are having to resolve for me right now is that the car definitely needs a limited-slip rear differential. When you have any bit of enthusiastic cornering under power, the inside-rear wheel starts spinning. So we need to tame that," said de Nysschen, "But overall, I think the transition has gone remarkably smooth. I drove the car literally the first time it got running which was obviously still at a very early stage and already then, it was highly enjoyable, but refined. Lot of work still to be done - engine management and performance gearbox to talk to each other, but very promising.”
http://wot.motortrend.com/560_hp_inf...ew_models.html
Old 06-24-14, 11:43 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Default Infiniti Q50 Eau Rouge Prototype To Make Dynamic Debut At Goodwood

Poor Infiniti. It can slap its badge on as many race-winning Formula One cars as it likes and get a multiple F1 champion to sign off a V-8-powered SUV, but it's still not blessed with a particularly exciting reputation.
Maybe its latest trick will work a little better: Dropping the 3.8-liter twin-turbocharged V-6 from a Nissan GT-R under the hood of the Q50 sedan, and sending it up the Goodwood hill climb at the upcoming Festival of Speed. After all, putting a GT-R engine in a Juke seemed to work okay for that car's image.

Infiniti has confirmed that its Q50 Eau Rouge prototype will make its moving debut at the Festival of Speed, piloted first by Red Bull Racing's Christian Horner, and test and reserve driver Sébastien Buemi. Neither Vettel nor Red Bull's current leading driver Daniel Ricciardo are confirmed as Festival attendees, but we already know the former has had a hand in testing the Eau Rouge prior to its unveiled debut.

The official line from Infiniti is that the 568-horsepower super sedan isn't confirmed for production, but insiders at the recent Beijing Auto Show seemed to suggest otherwise, hinting it would "take more to stop the car getting made than to start things". That's good news for those who like 180 mph sedans with estimated 0-60 figures around the four-second mark--and it's good news for anyone watching the Eau Rouge make its runs at the Festival later this week.

Joining the hottest Q50 at Goodwood are static examples of the Q50, Q70, QX60 and Q60 convertible, as well as test drives of some of those vehicles in the Moving Motorshow. Red Bull and Infiniti will also host question and answer sessions with Horner and Buemi, while Infiniti Red Bull Racing's official DJ, DJ Erok, will be there pumping out the sort of eardrum-bursting techno Red Bull plays in the garage after race victories. All of the above will take place from June 26 through 29.
http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...ut-at-goodwood
Old 06-24-14, 03:34 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Beautiful sight
Old 06-24-14, 07:04 PM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

A dark day has set upon us, Nissan sourcing engines from someone else..

Couldn't they at least bore their MR16DDT upto 2.0L? It's a better motor than that dead awful Mercedes one
Old 06-24-14, 07:20 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by yowps3
A dark day has set upon us, Nissan sourcing engines from someone else..

Couldn't they at least bore their MR16DDT upto 2.0L? It's a better motor than that dead awful Mercedes one

The article posted is for the Eau Rouge concept, powered by their own GTR twin turbo charged V6. That motor has nothing to do with Mercedes.
Old 06-24-14, 09:05 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Lex2InfiN

The article posted is for the Eau Rouge concept, powered by their own GTR twin turbo charged V6. That motor has nothing to do with Mercedes.
This is Nissans motor, not Infinitis. And good luck selling it at 100k.

And btw this thread is about the Q50 in general and they are sourcing a Benz 4 cylinder built right here in Tennessee.

Old 06-24-14, 09:10 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexFather
This is Nissans motor, not Infinitis. And good luck selling it at 100k.
Huh?
Let me enlighten you on something in case you're confused or haven't been following. Infiniti (owned by Nissan) is using the GTR motor in the Eau Rouge concept, soon to be production high-performance Q50. I believe the article posted today also mentions this?
Old 06-24-14, 09:17 PM
LexFather

Is this kid serious?

Originally Posted by Lex2InfiN
Huh?
Let me enlighten you on something in case you're confused or haven't been following. Infiniti (owned by Nissan) is using the GTR motor in the Eau Rouge concept, soon to be production high-performance Q50. I believe the article posted today also mentions this?
And nissan is owned by Renault

Yowps3 was correct posting relevant conversation about the q50 and you again jump down another members throat.

IP check aisle 5 please

Old 06-24-14, 09:27 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexFather
Is this kid serious?

And nissan is owned by Renault
I am serious, are you serious?
And are you sure about that "fact" LexFather?

Google is your friend. Nissan is not owned by Renault. Renault has a 43.4% stake in Nissan. Your comment implies that Renault bought out Nissan and/or they own a majority of Nissan. Both are which are incorrect. Here, read this and go learn about the Nissan-Renault alliance:

http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/COMP...NCE/RENAULT03/

Quick Reply: Infiniti Q50 thread