Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti Q50 thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-14, 07:50 AM
yowps3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
The 3-Series interior is among the worst of it's competitive set. But the former two (Q50 and A4) have equally impressive materials. All you have to do is pick your favorite design which is subjective.
Spot on mate. While Audi does indeed use many 'hard plastics' in many area of their interior but I feel like they're quality hard plastics. Kind of like the 90s Toyota hard plastics, although hard but of good quality. Better than most "soft touch plastics" you find these days..
Old 07-09-14, 08:23 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by speedflex
No. Nissan had the design structure first and just continued to evolve it while Hyundai did the same after stealing it.
Besides the nav controls I don't really even think the Sonata and G37 look much a like at all.
Old 07-09-14, 08:47 AM
LexFather

Actually the Sonata was inspired by the Caddy CTS in 2008

Sonata

Now Q50

The previous gen Skyline/G37 had its own design by Nissan. All Nissan/Infiniti interiors were pretty similar

G37/Skyline

Murano

Maxima

FX/QX

Old 07-09-14, 08:54 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by yowps3
The bare idea of Nissan sourcing an engine from a competing manufacturer sickens me.
But its not new. The Infiniti M35 diesel in Europe for the last 2 or so years using a Renault diesel engine. Infiniti used to pride themselves in being uniquely Japanese and RWD but they have completely abandoned this, from their ex Audi CEO, to moving to Hong Kong, to FWD SUVs and cars coming. Hopefully it works out.

Originally Posted by KevinGS
No way they're selling this for a $100,000. It better be in the $70s and top out at $80k to get anyone to really consider it. Speed isn't everything.

The engine looks delicious under the hood, still not worth any where near 6 figures. Infiniti better hope they can sell regular Q50s, let alone a hi-po model.
Yeah excuse that guy lol. He bases his entire premise on one market, the states, and one SUV using MSRP and not lease rates, in 25 years as proof they can sell a 100k car Their CEO stated it won't make money, a stark departure from what Carlos Ghosn insisted every vehicle do (MAKE MONEY) and be a halo car. The regular Q50 is selling okay, but not great and again, they are leased to a very price sensitive customer which makes selling a 100k car that more head scratching even with the absolutely superb GT-R engine.

Old 07-09-14, 09:26 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Vh_Supra26
Besides the nav controls I don't really even think the Sonata and G37 look much a like at all.
But you actually brought the comparison up in post 957.
Old 07-09-14, 09:31 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by speedflex
But you actually brought the comparison up in post 957.
I said the Sonata and Q50 look similar. I never said anything about the G37.
Old 07-09-14, 03:19 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Lots of companies use that 'waterfall' style. No big deal.
Lots of companies use the horizontal/recessed dash. No big deal.
Just pick what you like
Old 07-09-14, 06:49 PM
Lex2InfiN
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexFather
Infiniti used to pride themselves in being uniquely Japanese and RWD but they have completely abandoned this, from their ex Audi CEO, to moving to Hong Kong, to FWD SUVs and cars coming. Hopefully it works out.

Well, hey, Infiniti is more RWD than your beloved favorite brand, as over 70% of all Lexus vehicles sold are FWD. In fact only 25% of all Infiniti vehicles sold are FWD. 100% of all Acuras are FWD. So yea 75% of all Infiniti vehicles sold are RWD, the highest of any Japanese luxury brand. I would say that makes them pretty "unique", as you put it.

Yeah excuse that guy lol. He bases his entire premise on one market, the states, and one SUV using MSRP and not lease rates, in 25 years as proof they can sell a 100k car Their CEO stated it won't make money, a stark departure from what Carlos Ghosn insisted every vehicle do (MAKE MONEY) and be a halo car.
Carlos Ghosn insisted every vehicle make money in umm 2002 was it? That was 12 years ago. He also said hybrids were a "gimmick" 12 years ago. It's not 2002 anymore, it's 2014. Obviously his views have changed, and he has also given over the reigns of Infiniti to Johan.

And what does it matter if the Eau Rouge Q50 makes money? Did the LFA make money? Or was it more about what Lexus could achieve as a brand and more of a statement? These kinds of hypocritical posts make me laugh

The regular Q50 is selling okay, but not great and again, they are leased to a very price sensitive customer which makes selling a 100k car that more head scratching even with the absolutely superb GT-R engine.

If the Nissan GT-R sells for over 100k, its big sister Q50 from Infiniti will also sell for over 100k. To suggest otherwise is comical.
Old 07-09-14, 07:15 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lex2InfiN
Of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I think most people would agree that

This:

is nicer than this:

and this:

i'll take

1. bmw
2. audi
3. infiniti

in that order. i dig the new 3 series interior. huge improvement over last gen.

infiniti is nice, but like some mentioned, it's too much like last gen sonata. it is kinda turn off.
Old 07-09-14, 07:45 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by hlee12
i'll take

1. bmw
2. audi
3. infiniti

in that order. i dig the new 3 series interior. huge improvement over last gen.

infiniti is nice, but like some mentioned, it's too much like last gen sonata. it is kinda turn off.
based on design? Because actual cabin materials a severely low rent compared to the competition. Cheap to the touch, its rather offensive.
Old 07-09-14, 07:47 PM
LexFather

Well, hey, Infiniti is more RWD than your beloved favorite brand, as over 70% of all Lexus vehicles sold are FWD. In fact only 25% of all Infiniti vehicles sold are FWD. 100% of all Acuras are FWD. So yea 75% of all Infiniti vehicles sold are RWD, the highest of any Japanese luxury brand. I would say that makes them pretty "unique", as you put it.

Carlos Ghosn insisted every vehicle make money in umm 2002 was it? That was 12 years ago. He also said hybrids were a "gimmick" 12 years ago. It's not 2002 anymore, it's 2014. Obviously his views have changed, and he has also given over the reigns of Infiniti to Johan.

And what does it matter if the Eau Rouge Q50 makes money? Did the LFA make money? Or was it more about what Lexus could achieve as a brand and more of a statement? These kinds of hypocritical posts make me laugh

If the Nissan GT-R sells for over 100k, its big sister Q50 from Infiniti will also sell for over 100k. To suggest otherwise is comical.
You have no idea how the market works. None. And you are comparing a handful of cars to a brand that has sold millions. Stop comparing the two brands, its not even close to a fair fight.

Don't bring up the LFA, it was produced, unlike the Infiniti concepts :roll eyes: The LFA and Eau Rouge are so far apart its not even funny.

**** i should not have clicked "view post"

Old 07-09-14, 08:03 PM
hlee12
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
based on design? Because actual cabin materials a severely low rent compared to the competition. Cheap to the touch, its rather offensive.
design, but material is not bad in my book. bmws will never gonna win the best material award, but didn't feel like it's a low rent. but e90/e92 interior was pretty awful. it's just too damn flat and plain. material was family sedan level.
Old 07-10-14, 04:56 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Even F30 owners admit the interior materials are a step down from the E90.
Old 07-10-14, 05:58 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

I think thats because the bread and butter for Lexus the is FWD ES and RX.
Old 07-10-14, 06:05 AM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Audi A4 was not included because a new model is coming, and I don't think its fair to compare new designs to debut in late 2007.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Q50 thread