Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti Q50 thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-16, 02:57 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Coupe didnt drop until 04 model year . Sold as 03. They may have gotten some of the bugs out. I had 7 CD changers in my G35 alone and lost tons of imported $36 CDs back in the day. I had engine burning oil, fuel economy was worse than my ISF, rattles, alignment issues, blown injector, and a host of other issues. I think you have gotten lucky. They aren't ranked very high . Infiniti is literally what brought me to Lexus. I was so pissed off I figured I might as well have purchased an American car. That car is the reason I will never buy another first year model again. Too many teething issues. Been scared to even look at their cars after that
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/the...got-a-car.html

Got mine in December of '02. Told you I was one of the first. Hahahaha
Old 05-24-16, 03:59 PM
Jz39
Advanced

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

I have a near mint 04 G coupe 6MT with 150k on it and the car has been rock solid--driven all year round with snow tires in winter in snow, ice and slush. When I got my F I told the G that she deserved a rest. And a 1st gen G Coupe done tastefully is still a beautiful car IMO.

That being said, the major problem I see with the new Infiniti is he lack of a manual OR a good automatic transmission like the F or DCTs. If the transmission is still average at best, a great engine will never see its full potential. I also agree that the new Q50 has terrible and slow electronics-I recall being infuriated at how long it took to boot up while you were stuck there doing nothing. And the different resolution on the two screens.
Old 05-24-16, 06:50 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DrRick
I was one of the very first to have a G coupe, as well. Actually...the 2nd person to have a 6 speed manual in Atlanta. Never had a problem with it.

My wife was an early adopter of the G37 because of how much she liked my G35. We still drive that car, today, with almost 215k miles on it. The only repair we've made to it is a clutch about 6 months/5k miles ago.

As you can see...I can't speak highly enough for the reliability of Infiniti. And this Red Sport is very intriguing. And with turbos, it will be easy to tune.
Same here. We've had multiple Infinitis (M45, M35, FX35, now G37 Vert) and have never had any issues. Do I love the fit/finish? No. Our G37 Vert doesn't compare to my previous S5 Cab, but it was also significantly cheaper and you truly do get what you pay for.

With that said, the Q50 Red Sport does seem like a lot of car for the money.
Old 05-24-16, 10:16 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Wouldn't it make more sense to get the 300hp turbo version and use the money you saved to boost it past 400hp, you probably end up saving money doing it that way. I have not looked into it but it seems all they do with the 400hp version is turn up the boost or bigger turbo's and maybe a few small things, I believe the transmissions, basic engine block, and everything else is the same in the 300hp turbo version. The coupe sounds like the car to look out for but from the pictures I don't care for its styling too much.
Old 05-25-16, 06:28 AM
evident
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 88 Posts

Oh it will because the comparison with the IS350 will be a blood bath. You cant hide 94 hp behind reliability and refinement . IS350 has an ANCIENT power plant. Time to step it up Lexus. When the 07 GS350 came out it had 58 more HP than the GS300. I see a little bump in the IS line midcycle. There are going to be many IS350 owners crying
the hate in this thread on infiniti is absurd. this Q50 isn't competing with the IS-F, it's competing with the IS350 ($46K territory) and pretty much walks all over it performance wise. I'm a big toyota/lexus fan but can clearly see when a 10 year old engine is outclassed by something more fuel efficient and powerful.
Old 05-25-16, 06:47 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by evident
the hate in this thread on infiniti is absurd. this Q50 isn't competing with the IS-F, it's competing with the IS350 ($46K territory) and pretty much walks all over it performance wise. I'm a big toyota/lexus fan but can clearly see when a 10 year old engine is outclassed by something more fuel efficient and powerful.
I had a week with the 3.7L Q50S fully loaded. I think the new engine is truly nice and a reinvigoration for Infiniti but the car itself wasn't really that great. The dual screen was a complete joke and the handling was worst in class (the ATS, IS350, 3 series were all better). It also felt much bigger than these cars...definitely a tweener. I wish the Q50 would go compete with the 5 series and they build a smaller car to better compete with the IS.
Old 05-25-16, 06:54 AM
evident
Racer

Received 111 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
I had a week with the 3.7L Q50S fully loaded. I think the new engine is truly nice and a reinvigoration for Infiniti but the car itself wasn't really that great. The dual screen was a complete joke and the handling was worst in class (the ATS, IS350, 3 series were all better). It also felt much bigger than these cars...definitely a tweener. I wish the Q50 would go compete with the 5 series and they build a smaller car to better compete with the IS.
Felt the same way w/ the 3.7 Q50S. but I think this MMC is what the model needs.
Old 05-25-16, 09:49 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

agreed! ....but this IS a Lexus forum.........

why the IS350 doesn't get an upgraded engine is just ridiculous.

Originally Posted by SubOrbital
But a turbo V6 has no character. Lame noise. No soul.
LOL, no soul? - so you don't like the M4 GTS 493hp twin turbo i6 motor?!?!?!?

Last edited by bagwell; 05-25-16 at 09:57 AM.
Old 05-25-16, 10:20 AM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by bagwell
LOL, no soul? - so you don't like the M4 GTS 493hp twin turbo i6 motor?!?!?!?
BMW spoiled us with the E9X. I would take the slower 414hp S65 V8 in a heartbeat based on the aural 'soul' it emanates despite the M4 being better in nearly every objective spec.

Sound is very important. It gives the car a unique signature, just look at the Q50's predecessor the G35 and the memorable VQ35
Old 05-25-16, 10:49 AM
STILLEN
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LMAO I just saw Stillen buying one LIVE on Facebook. Only 8 viewers. Looks like a white one with black wheels.
Don't hate! LOL. We had like 120 viewers on our later live streams

The car is pretty quick btw
Old 05-25-16, 11:24 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,397 Likes on 1,571 Posts

I was one of the very first people in the United states with the first 2003 G35 ( purchased in June of 2002) and it was fun but had me at the dealership alllllllllll the time. I wouldnt touch that POS.
first it sounds like you got a lemon. second that was 14 years ago so things have changed.

On top of that its a first year model which means its going to absolutely have issues. PASS
not necessarily, i've bought a few first year models (including a ford!) and no issues.

Originally Posted by Fsport2UR
ISF was purpose built and engineered on a race track. Q50, not. ... ISF > 2016 Q50
but of course the IS-F isn't actually in the lexus product line now.

Originally Posted by LexISguy
I agree I had a G35 coupe dumped it went Lexus.....
aaand the g35 coupe is a) from a LONG time ago, and b) only distantly related to this Q50.

Originally Posted by FFM
All around it looks pretty dull. From the exterior to the interior, just doesn't wow you at all.
disagree 100%. whenever i see a q50 i go 'niiice!'

Originally Posted by DBrian
Infiniti for a long time has lagged slightly behind Toyota and Honda,
uh maybe you mean NISSAN lagged behind toyota and honda?

well said.
Old 05-25-16, 11:31 AM
BrownPride
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not sure why the Q50 isn't more popular, it seems like a pretty solid car. It's really the only compelling product Infiniti makes. As matter of fact, I'd say that the G/Q has been the only compelling vehicle in Infiniti's lineup for many years now.

The Q50 is nice looking, has a decent interior (unlike the G35/37 which were horrible in that regard), has good power, and is well-priced. It's essentially a budget 335 for the price of a 328.
Old 05-25-16, 01:14 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by BrownPride
I'm not sure why the Q50 isn't more popular, it seems like a pretty solid car. It's really the only compelling product Infiniti makes. As matter of fact, I'd say that the G/Q has been the only compelling vehicle in Infiniti's lineup for many years now.

The Q50 is nice looking, has a decent interior (unlike the G35/37 which were horrible in that regard), has good power, and is well-priced. It's essentially a budget 335 for the price of a 328.
And the size of a 5 series. The new Red Sport is priced more like a 340. Might as well go with the 340
Old 05-25-16, 07:41 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

I think you responded to a quote that was actually pro-Infiniti. Unless I'm totally misunderstanding, the poster was saying the IS has a 94 HP deficit and an ancient engine compared to the Q50 Red Sport.

Last edited by dseag2; 05-25-16 at 07:44 PM.
Old 05-25-16, 07:46 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
first it sounds like you got a lemon. second that was 14 years ago so things have changed.

not necessarily, i've bought a few first year models (including a ford!) and no issues.
Couldn't agree more. '05 RL, '06 M45, '13 GS350. The RL had a few recalls, but there were no reliability issues with any of the first-year models I owned.

Quick Reply: Infiniti Q50 thread