Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

E63 AMG thoughts.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-13, 10:57 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by LiLS
its a 2010 model....is it better to get the 6.3 v8 or try to find a 2012 for the bi turbo v8? With the biturbo v8 i heard you could chip it

thanks for all the input guys...guess the only thing that scares me is the maintenence.
There's a kit out there to retrofit the upgraded head bolt if that scares you away. The 6.3 V8 is much more visceral loud, being a NA motor that loves to read. However, if you're looking for pure power the TT V8 is the way to go. Yes you can chip it, but it also comes with huge amounts of torque right at the bottom of the tach from the factory.

These aren't huge unreliable monsters, but this ain't no Lexus.
Old 07-07-13, 12:38 PM
LiLS
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
There's a kit out there to retrofit the upgraded head bolt if that scares you away. The 6.3 V8 is much more visceral loud, being a NA motor that loves to read. However, if you're looking for pure power the TT V8 is the way to go. Yes you can chip it, but it also comes with huge amounts of torque right at the bottom of the tach from the factory.

These aren't huge unreliable monsters, but this ain't no Lexus.
yeah i think ima stick with the 6.3 v8 plus its in my range...the ttv8 is 20g above my limit lol...
the car im lookin at has bout 40k miles...is that too much? i also drive a ton..

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...Index=10&Log=0
Old 07-07-13, 02:52 PM
RCB
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I personally would stay away from that car. A good friend of mine had a 2010 for a year and it was pretty disappointing to see how that year unfolded. I had just purchased my ISF at the time so we tried to race in stock trim from a stop, roll and highway. We where both amazed that he couldn't catch me even once. After that we went to the drag strip where the punishment continued, but at that time I had modded my car.
He ended up having tons of issues with the car ......trans not shifting right, suspension banging, diff. clunking, tons of issues with the key not working (no start) and an ever lingering issue of the car running differently everyday as if the tune would change. After about a year he had enough and took a good hit trading it in.
Old 07-07-13, 04:25 PM
Diesel350
Lexus Champion

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut

Define "better".

Better handling, better reliability, better maintenance costs? How better?
Better performing car overall. How many cars can you take down the quarter mile in 12 seconds while having your back massaged? Most people who buy these cars cash or lease them could give a rats *** about maintenance costs. Reliability? If that's what's important to someone then they are buying the wrong car, go buy a Camry. If money were no issue I would hands down take the E63, for those on a budget the IS-F makes more sense.

Last edited by Diesel350; 07-07-13 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-07-13, 04:43 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by LiLS
yeah i think ima stick with the 6.3 v8 plus its in my range...the ttv8 is 20g above my limit lol...
the car im lookin at has bout 40k miles...is that too much? i also drive a ton..

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...Index=10&Log=0
At 40k I'd be damn sure that car has gotten it's maintenance done and gets a THOROUGH looking through before committing. Make sure the drivetrain is free of any issues especially. Since you drive a lot, I'd be weary of the AMG pricing for maintenance items. Between that, fuel, and insurance this will not be a cheap to run vehicle.

I can't recommend the ISF either, just because of its ride quality. If the roads near you are smooth, however...get that.
Old 07-07-13, 04:55 PM
Hoovey689
Forum Moderator

Received 126 Likes on 84 Posts

If given the option, I would choose the 6.2L V8 (remember it only uses the 6.3 moniker for homage purposes). One of the most incredible V8 sounds you'll ever hear. It's like a banshee being shot out of a howitzer cannon.

The twin turbo 5.5L V8 does benefit from slightly better mileage and you can tune them. In fact a CLS 63 AMG with a Renntech tune is on my must have list
Old 07-07-13, 06:55 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel350
Better performing car overall. How many cars can you take down the quarter mile in 12 seconds while having your back massaged? Most people who buy these cars cash or lease them could give a rats *** about maintenance costs. Reliability? If that's what's important to someone then they are buying the wrong car, go buy a Camry. If money were no issue I would hands down take the E63, for those on a budget the IS-F makes more sense.
So basically the advantages of the E63 are :

faster in a straightline, bigger back seat, more cushy ride
everything else it loses to the IS-F

Got it .
Old 07-07-13, 08:14 PM
Yanz
Driver School Candidate

I don't know anybody with an E63AMG, so can't comment on the reliability. Model you posted a link for is 2010, can you get an extended warranty and how long would it last.

However, if you are looking at used RWD performance sedans with more room, 2012 Jag XF 5.0 v8 can be had with low miles for ~40-45k (<15k miles) that stickers new for >60k.

Pretty sure the V8 models come pretty fully loaded (suede roof liner and all leather dash like the AMG mercedes models that I've sat in) plus better audio system (merdian (used to be B&W).
Old 07-07-13, 08:26 PM
Yanz
Driver School Candidate

Here's some examples
Old 07-07-13, 10:20 PM
gengar
Lexus Test Driver

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Diesel350
I've driven both the W211 E55 and the M156-based E63, and the IS-F has vastly superior steering feel and road feel. Also, a straight line is just about the only place the E63 bests the IS-F, due to the E63's absurdly high weight. Much of this is to be expected, since the E is supposed to slot in higher in the lux hierarchy than the IS.

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
If given the option, I would choose the 6.2L V8...
For sure I would do the same. The M156 is an amazing engine and is also distinguished in that it is an in-house product of AMG. IMO it's a total travesty they went to FI and out-of-house engines for the current gen.
Old 07-08-13, 07:21 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

I looked into getting an E63 AMG for about 30 seconds

that was funny but true, i absolutely love the AMGs but i guess as everyone says as long under warranty you will be ok. So buy one with warranty have your fun and sell it before warranty expires

Originally Posted by Just F Me
If you got the money, get one, and make sure it's certified with warranty if you're buying a pre-owned. Keep in mind,

Lexus IS F OEM Rotors = $300
E63 AMG Rotors = $800

Maintenance will kill you unless you got deep pockets.

BTW, a friend of mine is a tech for MB, and seeing E63s with 50k miles come to service and needing head gaskets replaced is a fairly common deal. I looked into getting an E63 AMG for about 30 seconds.
Old 07-09-13, 08:20 AM
DONT SLEEP
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are looking to purchase one, look at CarMax and inquire about their extended warranties... they're butt cheap and are exclusionary. The warranty will pay for itself in a year or two of owning the car. Those 6.3 V8 motors are known for their head bolt issues... I'm on MBWorld forums and I've seen it all over the place, but nonetheless they are great cars and sound amazing.