Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MM Full-Review: 2013 Cadillac ATS.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-13, 12:31 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blueprint
Dude you gotta email me

Great post.

Looking at sales the ATS is around 3k a month....I wonder where are the people screaming "OMG IT DOESN"T OUTSELL 3 SERIES IT FAILS/SUCKS" like they do the IS/GS Its clear the ATS has its niche and good for it.
Email sent.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
didn't get up in arms at all, that's your interpretation. but statements like "Cadillac are making fools of themselves" is rather bold but i know it's just your opinion, so it's all good.

all good, that's quite different from the prior statement.

a loaded 3 series hits 60k - it's less about the size of the car these days, than the sophistication and feature set.

also, good luck getting a GS base version. just looked at orlando inventory and they don't have any. they start at $54k (with dealer fee) + tax ($57k). http://www.yourlexusdealer.com/yourl...delSubGroup=GS
Thanks. What I really want is just a base GS with Blind Spot Monitoring and Park Assist. I know dealers/Lexus don't stock them this way, so a search will be hopeless. I think my only route is to special order a 2014 model when the 2014 order books open. If my dealer is willing to work with me is another story, haven't pushed too hard on that front yet.

I think it's fair to say that even a $60K 3 Series is at its core still a $35K car which can't compete on refinement, space, and material quality with a car that starts at $48K (GS).
Old 07-10-13, 02:29 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by AdrianXT
I think it's fair to say that even a $60K 3 Series is at its core still a $35K car which can't compete on refinement, space, and material quality with a car that starts at $48K (GS).
Get rid of 'space' and I'll agree with all your points. These are compact sport/lux vehicles. It's not supposed to offer the space of a 5 or GS. The whole reason you'd "step up" so to speak to those models
Old 07-11-13, 10:44 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

a loaded 3 series hits 60k -
A new M3 can easily run much more than that. Back in May of 2008, I reviewed an M3 coupe with a base price of 56k that listed for over 69K (and had several significant quality-control defects to boot)............the price, of course, has only gone up since then.
Old 07-11-13, 11:10 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,401 Likes on 1,574 Posts

Originally Posted by AdrianXT
Thanks. What I really want is just a base GS with Blind Spot Monitoring and Park Assist. I know dealers/Lexus don't stock them this way, so a search will be hopeless. I think my only route is to special order a 2014 model when the 2014 order books open. If my dealer is willing to work with me is another story, haven't pushed too hard on that front yet.
well since you're willing to wait for an order, you can shop a few dealers at least to get a best price.

maybe so, but they're not competing so it really doesn't matter. car levels (3/5/7, is/es/gs/ls, c/e/s, 4/5/6/8, etc.) overlap in price, features, etc., but don't compete. someone interested in a loaded 3 probably has no interest in a base GS, and vice versa.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
A new M3 can easily run much more than that.
sure, wasn't including M car, but then the M3 is a whole different beast (v8) than the regular 3 series.
Old 07-12-13, 10:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

well since you're willing to wait for an order, you can shop a few dealers at least to get a best price.
That $299 lease-deal Caddy is offering, IMO, doesn't look bad, either.....although, of course,among other factors, it depends on the number of miles one typically drives.
Old 08-05-13, 04:56 PM
Vh_Supra26
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Cadillac ATS failing to command BMW 3 Series-like pricing as hoped

The BMW 3 Series has long been the benchmark for small and sporty luxury vehicles, but the Cadillac ATS has come on strong in its short time on the market as a true rival in this segment. As impressive as Cadillac's new compact sedan is, however, Automotive News is reporting that the car is still lagging behind the 3 Series when it comes to actual transaction pricing.

According to the article, the average transaction price for the ATS is $39,459 while the 3 Series is at a much larger $44,764, but, just as importantly, Cadillac has about $500 more in incentives on the ATS compared to BMW. Transaction prices are much closer to cars like the Mercedes C-Class and Audi A4. Of course, this is all with the ATS trying to take on its small,sport sedan rivals with a single bodystyle and limited powertrain options compared to the numerous options available from the German automakers in this class.

This uneven battle won't last long, though, as recent spy shots have revealed that Cadillac is hard at work on a high-performance ATS-V and an ATS Coupe. No official word as to when either of these models will be unveiled, but with auto show season set to kick off, we're expecting sooner rather than later. The best news for the ATS is that the Automotive News says sales of the ATS are on target and that 74 percent of ATS buyers are new to Cadillac – two important factors for the brand as it tries to break into this tough segment
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/08/05/c...ricing-as-hop/
Old 08-05-13, 05:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,401 Likes on 1,574 Posts

aren't most 3 series leased? so 'transaction prices' are pretty irrelevant.
Old 08-05-13, 11:44 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Do they count the M3 in the median transaction price calculations? If so, wouldn't that pretty much explain the difference?
Old 08-06-13, 12:03 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 167 Likes on 99 Posts

If the ATS is keeping up with A4 and C class sales, that's pretty darn good. Those are excellent cars. It doesn't have to beat out BMW to be a big success.
Old 08-06-13, 05:18 PM
LexFather

That type of title pisses me off, what kind of journalism is that. They say it doesn't meet 3 series prices, yet they explain why, that the ATS doesn't offer all the models the 3 does.

Then they say the positive, its selling at the price of MOST of the competition? Wouldn't that make for a wonderful, positive title. It reads like something from the debate forum

The ATS hasn't sold as well as they thought but its been solid for the brand. It is pricey, its not undercutting the competition and people are buying/leasing them.

Old 08-06-13, 05:37 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Its a Cadillac. No one wants these, except for pizza joint owners from Staten Island.
Old 08-06-13, 06:19 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blueprint
That type of title pisses me off, what kind of journalism is that. They say it doesn't meet 3 series prices, yet they explain why, that the ATS doesn't offer all the models the 3 does.

Then they say the positive, its selling at the price of MOST of the competition? Wouldn't that make for a wonderful, positive title. It reads like something from the debate forum

The ATS hasn't sold as well as they thought but its been solid for the brand. It is pricey, its not undercutting the competition and people are buying/leasing them.
The ATS is indeed a credible alternative to the 3-series. But the 3-series has been entrentched so long as the King of compact sports-sedans that getting their die-hard owners out of them, even with the somewhat less-impressive new ones, is like trying to get cowboys and ranchers out of their F-150s and Silverados.
Old 08-06-13, 06:41 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Its a Cadillac. No one wants these, except for pizza joint owners from Staten Island.
Well, since you want to get into stereotypes, those guys wouldn't want an ATS......they'd probably want an Escalade.